2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
always grimsby
February 9, 2023, 9:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 7
I hope Big Lawrie McMenemy is well and is able to attend the 5th round tie against Southampton . He is still a hero in these parts I was a 11 yr old when we won the title against Exeter all those yrs ago . I was still as exited on Tuesday night against Luton as I was 50yrs ago
Some things never change
GRIMSBY BORN & BRED and proud to be GTFC
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerRob
February 9, 2023, 9:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I didn't realise that Lawrie had won the 4th Division championship with Doncaster Rovers in 1968-69.

And it's hard to believe he was only at Grimsby for just over two years. And what a two years that was. His work ethic and the way Town played ensured he always remembered with great affection.

It would be really great if he was at Southampton's match with Town. What a reception he would get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
crusty ole pie
February 9, 2023, 9:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from always grimsby
I hope Big Lawrie McMenemy is well and is able to attend the 5th round tie against Southampton . He is still a hero in these parts I was a 11 yr old when we won the title against Exeter all those yrs ago . I was still as exited on Tuesday night against Luton as I was 50yrs ago
Some things never change
GRIMSBY BORN & BRED and proud to be GTFC
UTM

You must be the same age as me and I remember that season so fondly so would be ace to hear the mcMenemy Lawrie chant once more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Belfast Town
February 9, 2023, 9:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,700
Gold Stars: 19
Would love to hear the old chant, “McMenemy, McMenemy, Lawrie” ring around St Mary’s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
crusty ole pie
February 9, 2023, 9:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
It will not take, long for the young ones to Learn two words but sung with gusto, (now Bennie the docker is in town may take some mastering )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Poojah
February 9, 2023, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,881
Gold Stars: 1,524
Quoted from Belfast Town
Would love to hear the old chant, “McMenemy, McMenemy, Lawrie” ring around St Mary’s.

Wasn’t born until some time after Lawrie’s reign at Town, so I went in search of some old Town videos on YouTube to see if I could hear what that chant sounded like. I failed, but I did find this cracking footage of Town winning at Scunny in 1970. Never a pen…

https://youtu.be/p3RFJQkR3_M

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Limerick Mariner
February 9, 2023, 10:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Poojah

Wasn’t born until some time after Lawrie’s reign at Town, so I went in search of some old Town videos on YouTube to see if I could hear what that chant sounded like. I failed, but I did find this cracking footage of Town winning at Scunny in 1970. Never a pen…

Would have gone to VAR for checking…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 9, 2023, 10:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Poojah

Remember being at that game and the period 1968 to 1970 were very poor so was great to witness this win. We finished 70/71 very strongly, following the return of Matt Tees half way through the season, and many thought Bobby Kennedy very unlucky to lose his job at the end of that season. Then big Lawrie was appointed we beat Scunny 4-1 first game of the season and followed this up with two 4-3 victories in the next week and the bandwagon started rolling for what was still one of our most enjoyable seasons ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
AndyGTFC
February 9, 2023, 10:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
He has a weekly column in the Southern Daily Echo and briefly spoke about the potential of a game a few days ago here.  

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sp.....fateful-fa-cup-draw/

Will probably be mentioned in there a few more times leading up to the game I'm guessing!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
TheRealJohnLewis
February 9, 2023, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I really hope something is done on the pitch at Southampton to mark the occasion and celebrate what Lawrie did for both our clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lawrie McMenemy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.