February 1, 2023, 1:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 123614

None of which we were in for.

We were in for Vernam.. that’s a fact mate.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 107
February 1, 2023, 2:24pm
Guest User
Not according to others.
Reply: 61 - 107
Mikey_345
February 1, 2023, 2:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 123614
Not according to others.

Not gunna get into a debate on it mate. We tried in the summer, we tried all window until late last night. Lincoln wouldn’t let him go unless they had a replacement - they failed with a late bid on for a winger from Pompey.

I’m not basing it on a hunch..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 107
diehardmariner
February 1, 2023, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Yep. All but done and waiting on Lincoln approving it.

Think they got jittery with their own strengthening not going quite to plan. But I do wonder if there was perhaps a bit of brinkmanship going on and both parties refused to blink.

We needed the deal to happen more than Lincoln did, at that stage of the window you perhaps have to accept you'll end up paying a premium.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 107
DB
February 1, 2023, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ska face
I know it’ll never, ever, happen but honestly feel Hurst would get a bit more slack from fans if he was more open with who his targets were now it’s a stage where it doesn’t make a difference.

He’s very, very stubborn and you could see from his interviews all month and leading up to the window that he just doesn’t even want to engage with the process. Just play the game a bit man ffs.

If he came out now and says “oh we were in for x, y, z player but x wanted twice what we could afford, y wanted to live nearer his nan and z doesn’t like driving in straight lines for 45mins” then at least fans would feel slightly more informed rather than having to speculate.

He’s putting himself under a lot of unnecessary scrutiny when some other managers would be happy to deflect it and put the grief on agents, other clubs and players.

I agree with you. It would be nice to know who we wanted which would indicate how progressive the club wants to be. It would also ease the thoughts of many on here.

In naming the targets it would not lessen or improve future summer negotiations as the targets may sustain injuries, or their reasons for not coming may never change. As far as the summer signing window is concerned it doesn't matter if we will have only 9 under contract. What does matter are the next 22 games and getting as many points as possible, plus an FA Cup tie reply to win.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 107
Corkyefes
February 1, 2023, 3:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from 123614

None of which we were in for.

If we wasn't in for Dallas and/or Vernam, then why not?
I think every Town fan would identify them as players who would improve our squad and I think that everyone would also believe they would realistic targets.

I certainly would be one to question that if Vernam and Dallas where not high up in our shortlist, then the people who are actually collating this list, are not doing a very good job.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 107
Zmariner
February 1, 2023, 3:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
My take on this is the following:
1.if the new forward Lloyd is good we buy him at the end of the season my gut feeling is that he will be good
2. Emmanuel from Hull sounds a good player and again we should sign at the end of the season.I would be very disappointed if we donot have an option as this would be very short sighted
3. it is clear we got knocked back a lot. Stockwood & Pettit, are smart Enough, we have to address this
4 these players come with a lot less fanfare than others would have done, and I suspect that will make it much easier for them to settle in.
Our antiquated set up is holding us back , this is the big picture and will take some fixing.
The next few games are not too easy and it is far easier to get points when mid table than at the bottom and so we need a couple of dour 1:0 wins. Hurst is good at this, we have no chance of playoffs this season as the squad clearly lacks quality but we can learn from this for next season. I am ok with the Jan business but this would not be acceptable in the summer utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 107
It Bites
February 1, 2023, 5:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,214
Gold Stars: 266
Kyle Lafferty has had his contract terminated by Killie . I'd personally drive him to Grimsby
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 107
chaos33
February 1, 2023, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
He’s 35

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 107
forza ivano
February 1, 2023, 8:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from chaos33
He’s 35

he's a bloody effective player if you can motivate him.

nb fwiw was told by a number of separate sources that us n vernham was a 'love in' - both wanted it to happen, preferrably perm , but  a loan wasn't the end of the world.
Just a thought - in the past 9 months we've nicked their goalkeeping coach and recruitment lad. Was there a bit of 'payback' involved in their reluctance to play ball?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assessment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.