Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 295 Guests

Assessment

This thread currently has 10,150 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
February 1, 2023, 10:30am
Guest User
Quoted from 137
Feb 1st and some Town fans are fretting about relegation. I'd fret about it too if it seemed likely, but consider the following:

The team has just achieved a draw at the side currently 4th in the Championship.
Without Andrew Dallas. Without a 6-footer leading the line.
Having previously beaten three League 1 teams  - including giving the top L1 team a sound walloping.
This is a strange CV for a side about to be relegated from L2, surely.

Where does the pessimism come from?
Well we've got rid of a bunch of loanees who most thought weren't good enough anyway, and failed to replace them with
Andrew Dallas (2 goals in 23 L2 games) or a target man (overlooking how well Orsi played at Luton).
I'm not trashing Dallas - he looks a very good prospect, and I'd like us to have signed him.
But if he doesn't want to come here that's the end of that one (and we need to accept it and move on).

I make no apologies for tending to view GTFC affairs through rosy glasses - that's my choice.
So being optimistic about the players we have brought in...

Everything I've seen and read about George Lloyd makes me think he could easily become a fans favourite due to his
workrate and combative nature. If he can start scoring goals we'll have a gem.

Tom Dickson-Peters has Scottish international caps at youth level - so there's certainly some ability there - and is described
as a 'clinical finisher' on his Norwich City webpage, who rate him highly.
Well that's what we need isn't it? Someone good at finishing off our (often) good approach play.
Doesn't need to be a 6-footer heading in crosses who scores our goals. Think Podge...
Might also mean more playing time for Hunt as the midfielder most likely to find TDP with a telling pass, which also makes
sense. We apparently paid 100K for Hunt, yet given him few opportunities to justify his price tag.

Josh Emmanuel is a super signing if his health issues are behind him...a real coup.
I can't believe PH hasn't done the due diligence on a player he knows well, so very hopeful.

Criticism of the board seems out of order to me. They've made it abundantly clear that all footballing matters are left to PH,
and have made funds available to him.
Perhaps the 17 years of justifiable criticism of the Fenty regime hasn't worked its way out of the system for a few.

I can understand why some are thinking PH is more 'El Corporal' than 'El General', but failing to satisfy football fans'
expectations is more likely due to the fans excessively high hopes rather than managerial weakness.
I don't think anyone doubts that Paul has worked his nuts off in the last month.

In summary: we'll be ok.

UTM

Edit: And if Scanz and/or Wearne can perform for us in the remainder of this season, things will look a fair bit different.

Excellent post, fully agree with all comments.

Reply: 40 - 107
Hagrid
February 1, 2023, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
not happy with our business at all, but dont think for a second we'll be dragged into a scrap at the bottom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 107
February 1, 2023, 10:36am
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Massively underwhelmed with the revolving door of young loanees and for me they don't seem to work out. PH either doesn't play them or when they do play they're clearly not what's required  .We needed 3 or 4 quality additions and we look to possibly have got one? I hope these lads are the answer but in 3 months time we will be asked to fork out for a season ticket does the clubs ambition match that of the supporters ? Fenty would have been rightly slaughtered if he had overseen this window with everyone accusing him of penny pinching scotch egg please.........

Do you think that this post will go down well with our new recruits?  I would think that at some time they will get to read the Forum posts, and this post, and many others like it will not do their confidence any good.

Reply: 42 - 107
Rick12
February 1, 2023, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 123614

Do you think that this post will go down well with our new recruits?  I would think that at some time they will get to read the Forum posts, and this post, and many others like it will not do their confidence any good.

Spot on . Some players are confidence players and need the right sort of encouragement and constructive criticism to get the best out of them.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 107
February 1, 2023, 10:39am
Guest User
Very disappointed to say the least.
So called smaller clubs are signing established players while we scratch about in the 10p bargain bin and come up with nothing.
What annoys me most is the fact that we were on par with the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton 20-odd years ago and look at the difference now. Lack of ambition oh for a Ryan Reynolds!

Wow, good job in making our new players welcome.

Reply: 44 - 107
February 1, 2023, 10:48am
Guest User
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I can't believe the number of times I've read rubbish like this in various posts along the years.
Are some fans either so deluded or so arrogant that they honestly believe potential signings would trawl through hundreds of pages of a fan's forum before deciding to sign for a football club?

"I'm thinking of joining Grimsby mum"
"Ooh make sure you check the fan's forum"
"You're right mum, they're all arguing and toxic, they're much nicer with less expectations on the Barrow forum"

I can't believe you think players and staff DON'T read they Fishy.  Over the past months it's fairly clear that even PH has a little peek every now and again, and for sure if I was a pro footballer I would be having a look too!
Reply: 45 - 107
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 1, 2023, 10:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
We have not seen the new lads play but repeating a comment I made on another thread how many of these new signings do we expect to be regular starters? And how many would be starters when and if Taylor and Khan are fit?

The major disappointment for me is that, subject to seeing the guys play, only Emmanuel appears to be an improvement on what we currently have and there are obviously question marks about his match fitness.

Thought we needed improvement in midfield, out wide and striker and I’m not convinced that any of those positions have been improved upon but time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 107
Mariner_09
February 1, 2023, 10:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I'm looking over my shoulder, and think that 100/1 will drop very quickly in the coming weeks.
The team has been reduced in numbers, and quality.

The optimism has been sucked out of me like a.... nevermind

I'm not saying we should be in with a shout for play-offs, but we 100% shouldn't be having any sort of conversation about relegation

Please explain how you can know with any certainty that quality has dropped. O'Neill looked a better bet as a striker than Simmonds or Pebble. Emmanuel could be an absolute baller if he stays fit. Lloyd, although he may not have better quality than the others, seems better equipped given his description of getting more from McAtee in particular. And TSB is a 'clinical finisher'.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 107
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 1, 2023, 10:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from 123614

I can't believe you think players and staff DON'T read they Fishy.  Over the past months it's fairly clear that even PH has a little peek every now and again, and for sure if I was a pro footballer I would be having a look too!

Even if they do football forums are the same whichever team you follow, lose matches and they are toxic win matches everyone is happy. Goes with the territory which every player will know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 107
February 1, 2023, 10:56am
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
We have not seen the new lads play but repeating a comment I made on another thread how many of these new signings do we expect to be regular starters? And how many would be starters when and if Taylor and Khan are fit?

The major disappointment for me is that, subject to seeing the guys play, only Emmanuel appears to be an improvement on what we currently have and there are obviously question marks about his match fitness.

Thought we needed improvement in midfield, out wide and striker and I’m not convinced that any of those positions have been improved upon but time will tell.

Well the guy from Norwich scored 46 goals from 80 odd appearances, in Prem 2, which I would guess is excellent at that level.

Reply: 49 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assessment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.