Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 7,614 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
barralad
January 28, 2023, 5:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
And not entirely sure what I've just witnessed. Simply magnificent from 1-11. Started slowly but although Luton had a lot of the ball they didn't threaten much. Town deserved to lead from Hunts effort which somehow their keeper got to but the disappointment was short lived when Holohan tucked away a header.
Luton back into it with a really soft penalty and when they went in front you'd have been justified in thinking that was that. Step forward Harry (one of our own) Clifton with a Wrexham game type quick response (74 seconds according to the ecstatic bloke stood next to me) for 2.2
The last 20 minutes was a master class in shithousery particularly from Crocombe who tried the refs patience to the limit. Never seen so many players go down with cramp.
Not really fair to single out any individual but Crocombe made two great saves to keep us in it. Efete ran his heart out and Orsi did well as a lone forward.
The 5th round draw beckons.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Vance Warner
January 28, 2023, 5:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
Think Efete showed today that he can play higher. Matched their pace and strength which takes some doing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
Sigone
January 28, 2023, 5:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Vance Warner
Think Efete showed today that he can play higher. Matched their pace and strength which takes some doing.

Think Efete showed what a superb wing back he is, Thought he was a beast today.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
GrimRob
January 28, 2023, 6:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
We really grew in confidence in the second half and could even have won it had we chanced our arm a bit more. We wasted a lot of time and never made any subs into the game was almost over. Orsi was great in the second half especially although his legs had gone by the end.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 54
arryarryarry
January 28, 2023, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from barralad
And not entirely sure what I've just witnessed. Simply magnificent from 1-11. Started slowly but although Luton had a lot of the ball they didn't threaten much. Town deserved to lead from Hunts effort which somehow their keeper got to but the disappointment was short lived when Holohan tucked away a header.
Luton back into it with a really soft penalty and when they went in front you'd have been justified in thinking that was that. Step forward Harry (one of our own) Clifton with a Wrexham game type quick response (74 seconds according to the ecstatic bloke stood next to me) for 2.2
The last 20 minutes was a master class in shithousery particularly from Crocombe who tried the refs patience to the limit. Never seen so many players go down with cramp.
Not really fair to single out any individual but Crocombe made two great saves to keep us in it. Efete ran his heart out and Orsi did well as a lone forward.
The 5th round draw beckons.

If you are referring to the shot their keeper tipped over for our corner where we scored from it was Holohan's shot.

I didn't think their penalty was a penalty it looked like Morris pulls his leg away, having said that they could have had one earlier when Hunt blocked a cross/shot with his arms in our area.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
barralad
January 28, 2023, 7:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from arryarryarry

If you are referring to the shot their keeper tipped over for our corner where we scored from it was Holohan's shot.

I didn't think their penalty was a penalty it looked like Morris pulls his leg away, having said that they could have had one earlier when Hunt blocked a cross/shot with his arms in our area.

Cheers..my eye sight ain't what it was.
Having seen "the penalty" I couldn't agree more with you.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
Wiley2405
January 28, 2023, 7:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Clifton was also absolutely outstanding
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
marinerjase
January 28, 2023, 7:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
It’d be unfair to pick anyone out imho, they all bust a gut to get a result. Don’t think PH had any alternative to how we set up, but he got it spot on tactically..the 3 at the back helped massively, not just in terms of the result but think it helped Efete who was positive throughout.

To be honest I was disappointed in Luton, that’s not taking anything away from how fantastic our boys were. They’ve struggled at home like we have and it showed I think. The replay will probably be even harder than today - but we should gain confidence from today and are more than capable of producing a shock.

That’s for another day though..today should be all about acknowledging a tremendous effort from all. 👏👏

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
sonofmadeleymariner
January 28, 2023, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
As Barra has said huge praise throughout the team after that. Both teams played really well and deserved a win showing off some beautuful football.

Some stabd out perfromances today to go along with everyone playing well
Orsi showed what he can do.
Efete looked the like player we know and loved.
Waterfall commanding
Max was superb and didn't stand a chance with euther goal he conceded.
Harry as Harry
Holohan was superb and won alot of headers today

I'd like to see the pen decision before I ruled on it tjust sat too far away to really say, but he it did look a bit theatric when he dropped.

Only negative on today was the card happy ref who was a tad of bais in some of his decions.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
buckstown
January 28, 2023, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Didn't go today but having seen the highlights that penno was soft at best. Think it might have been overturned if VAR had been in place
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2023, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
There wasn’t a Town player that wasn’t at least 8 out of 10 today. Efete was my MoM, the wing back role suits him so much better than right back in a 4.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
TAGG
January 28, 2023, 7:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
We should go 5 at the back for the rest of the season.
The full squad and management were superb today, backed up by the best supporters ever.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
lukeo
January 28, 2023, 9:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,418
Gold Stars: 149
Some very Big performers out their defensively today. All 1q of them.
There is no denying that Luton have some absolute quality in their ranks, so we must be at our best plus that extra 10% like today if we've any chance of progressing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
LH
January 28, 2023, 9:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Every man terrific again today in this formation. It works and we look strong and organised and I’m not against us using it going forward. Holohan, Clifton, Efete and Orsi can fight it out until the replay for MOM for me, we all know they could last until then after today. Crocombe is possibly the biggest shithouse we’ve ever had on the books.

Special mention to an outstanding following. We need that level of noise for the replay and I’m sure you’ll oblige.

UT5RDM!!!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
headingly_mariner
January 28, 2023, 9:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Really good performance. Lot of whinging over the last few weeks, I think people have forgotten that we have an amazingly committed set of players.

Completely depleted today and throw that performance in.

Crocombe, Efete and Clifton excellent.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
LH
January 28, 2023, 9:49pm

Quoted from headingly_mariner

Completely depleted today and throw that performance in.

It was Town as intercourse to do that today.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
jamesgtfc
January 28, 2023, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,052
Gold Stars: 190
I actually think Hurst is better suited to cup games. He proved in the play-offs that he can make those tactical decisions to go and win the game but he has a tendency to revert to type a bit in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
forza ivano
January 28, 2023, 9:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Orsi n effete played like men possessed.hopefully that will give michee the confidence to push on from here. Midfield played some good stuff at times n ran their nuts off. 2 superb saves from crocombe. Waterfall was immense but special mention for smith who did bloody well against the v impressive adebayo, who is prob premiership bound

Very proud marinet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
Rodley Mariner
January 28, 2023, 10:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Adebayo was a proper handful wasn't he? Agree Smith stood up to the challenge well but if he's Prem bound I hope it's before the replay!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
Chrisblor
January 28, 2023, 10:12pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Adebayo was a proper handful wasn't he? Agree Smith stood up to the challenge well but if he's Prem bound I hope it's before the replay!

Very agile, strong and tricky, but Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo really needs to work on his finishing from open play based on today if he's got eyes on the Premier League.

Just also want to put on record that the ref today was absolutely shite. Gave them a penalty for a dive and couldn't wait to wave his yellow card around when Town players committed innocuous fouls. Adebayo should definitely have been booked at some point for persistent fouling. It's crazy to me that in a game where Luton committed 12 fouls and Town 10, we ended with 5 players booked and them with none! The only booking that i'd say was actually deserved was Crocombe for time wasting (and i'm absolutely fine with that one!).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
immariner
January 28, 2023, 10:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Absolutely brilliant performance front to back and fully deserved at least the replay. Don't just want to parrot what everyone else has said so I'll just say it was great to see Morris and Hunt come in after little recent game time to put in 8.5/10 performances, with some really nice short passing and triangles in the second half, moving us up the pitch a lot quicker than we did in the first.

Also, I mentioned it to my mate before the game that I've only ever heard Luton fans sing one song, that 'come on Lu'on' one. Proper amusing that I only heard them once today and it was that chant. Shhhhh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
Poojah
January 28, 2023, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,886
Gold Stars: 1,527
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; we look at our best set-up with three central defenders.

As it stands, we have three very good centre halves, two wide defenders who are better as wing backs than full backs, a wealth of central midfielders and virtually no fit wide attacking players whatsoever.

Play that system, and there’s potentially less work to do before the deadline than it seems. A couple of strikers (including a bona fide number 9), another centre half and someone who can double up as a wing back or further forward (just in case), and we’d be alright assuming the requisite level of quality.

Given we’ve just lost 3 strikers, 2 wingers plus Khan to injury, it just seems by far the most obvious solution to our current squad predicament.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
aldi_01
January 28, 2023, 11:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m a massive fan of that system and it’s worked when we’ve done it.

Was an excellent performance today and nobody had a excrement game. Glennon had a hard time against their wide lad but he’s ring rusty and that lad goes past Championship players for fun so can’t really grumble.

Smith looked immense today and dare I say it, against better players he’s a better defender. Perhaps the cloggers and workers at our level are not his forte.

Efete played really well and caused them some problems. Orsi was out of this world.

Our goals were great and well worked and the second is the stuff we live for.

I expected more from Luton but May be that’s being unfair on us. We made it hard for them and a couple of great saves and a commanding performance from Crocombe was impressive.

Naturally, in a game with space and some fluidity, Hunt stood out and I thought Morris worked really well. Initially, I’d have argued Green would’ve been better suited but with their ability to knock the ball about perhaps Hurst felt a more technical footballer was necessary.

Maher was a non league centre half last year against people who were 2 games from the top flight and you’d never have known.

Work rate and desire was top notch and considering we made subs in the last minute, with the exception of Glennon, our lads still looked like they had some left in the tank…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
LH
January 28, 2023, 11:30pm

On MOTD before Tottenham, Man Utd and Leeds 🤯🤯🤯
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
Maringer
January 28, 2023, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
Didn't see the game today, but I agree about three at the back. Both Smith and Maher are decent with the ball at their feet, Waterfall not too bad and also the physical presence you need in defence. None of our full-backs are brilliant defensively so playing them as wing-backs with three behind them isn't such a bad idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
HerveJosse
January 29, 2023, 12:05am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
5-3-2 or is 5-4-1 is a good system for us in many situations and the personnel we currently have are clearly better equipped  to adopt that system but  against teams who come to BP to sit we are going to need a more attacking alternative formation  which is where recruitment is still desperately needed.
It is also why our form this season is lopsided better away then at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
ginnywings
January 29, 2023, 12:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Two things worry me about the replay.

They are better away from home.

We are better away from home.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
Wedidntdidwe
January 29, 2023, 12:24am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +380
Gold Stars: 22
But they'll still be favourites to win so hopefully will be a similar game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
grimsby pete
January 29, 2023, 12:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Even if we lose the replay we will make some more money from being live on the telly .

I hope

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Mayaman
January 29, 2023, 1:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes but they will be a bit more nervous now.  They probably thought it was an easy aftenoon.  We will have some players back from injury / suspension and our pitch is crap so this could interupt their crisp passing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
Mayaman
January 29, 2023, 1:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Wasn't expecting so much from the Mariners.  The defence was outstanding and weathered the storm , which allowed us back into the game.   Every player put a shift in but Holohan was MOM for me. Efete mush improved with some good strong challenges and  better confidence going forward.  As the game wore on we were getting better as they started to get frustrated and made some misplaced passes.  Shame Harry couldn't have got a better contact of the ball as his shot had beaten the keeper.   Or, another Town player following up to get their before the desperate lunge from their defender.   UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
wuffing
January 29, 2023, 3:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 40
Waterfall is captain colossus isn't he? Directing from the back, his return today showed him for what he is. The boss

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
Ashby mariner
January 29, 2023, 6:08am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Is there a link to Paul's post match interview available at all? Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Maringer
January 29, 2023, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
DaleH
January 29, 2023, 7:57am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 168
Paul Hurst and his management and coaching team, got the absolute best out of a threadbare squad, with injuries and availability issues.

A game against a very good Championship team, where was always going to have to be at our defensive best for major parts of the game  And that certainly proved to be the case for the majority of the first half.

Perhaps the biggest compliment Rob Edwards paid to our defensive performance, is the regular amount of substitutions he made, in bringing his better players on to try and get over the line.

But we also had our own say in possession, particularly in the second half, where we was brave enough and confident to try and impose ourselves and take the game to Luton. And I loved that.

It was a proper magical FA Cup tie. Love being the underdog. We should be very proud of our manager and his team. And for any naysayers, it’s testament that Paul Hursts players are very decent players. Players that will lift and start moving again once he gets some more through the door in the next couple of days.

Great to be in the hat for the next round and can’t wait for the replay

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
supertown
January 29, 2023, 8:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
Just looked on the Luton forum, they say our fans were the best there this season 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
devs
January 29, 2023, 10:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Had we lost the posts on here would be a lot different
EG: Lack of subs - only used in 90+7 mins - why didn't Hurst bring Scannell on etc

It is all about the result - and then a lot of posters dive in and comment to fit the facts

Shame there's not some semblance of balance on here when we lose

Breath-taking hypocrisy from a number of posters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 29, 2023, 10:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,025
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from devs
EG: Lack of subs - only used in 90+7 mins - why didn't Hurst bring Scannell on etc

It is all about the result - and then a lot of posters dive in and comment to fit the facts

but, as football fans that's what we are, fickle. no-one is happy when we lose and everyone, well the majority, are happy when we win. is it because we set our expectations really high and expect too much?

look at the man city support booing their team off when they were losing to tottenham a week or so ago.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
It Bites
January 29, 2023, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
Quoted from devs

It's a football forum mate . What do you expect. It's just conversations that used to happen down the pub etc . You're reading too much into the posts . It's just opinions that's all
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2023, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from It Bites

It's a football forum mate . What do you expect. It's just conversations that used to happen down the pub etc . You're reading too much into the posts . It's just opinions that's all

Didn’t we lose our last game 5-0? I know it was a long while back 🙃
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
Madeleymariner
January 29, 2023, 12:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
People around us were all saying at 75mins for FS Hurst get a couple of sets of fresh legs on, to help chase their players down and give them less time on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
ska face
January 29, 2023, 12:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from ginnywings

Slightly different circumstances to their decent away form in the league. More emphasis on the home team go out & attack in the league whereas they will still be overwhelming favourites at BP and will expect to come and smash us. We’re slightly better without the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
devs
January 29, 2023, 12:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
All I'm saying is it would be nice to have some perspective and balance if we lose
They are are not 'opinions' but ill-thought out and wild rantings!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
forza ivano
January 29, 2023, 1:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
1 thing that hasn't been mentioned - there were some superb tackles going in, hard but great technique
oh, and nobody's mentioned the 2 outstanding saves Max made in the 2nd half.

pps Max does love being the pantomime devil doesn't he? I love the way he winds them up, but does with a laugh and always gives them a smile and a clap at the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
lukeo
January 29, 2023, 1:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,418
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from devs

It's funny you say that. Although we drew I was thinking why hasn't he made any changes and then my uncle.mesaages me saying the same thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
grimsby pete
January 29, 2023, 1:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Too much calling Hurst for late subs if we look at other managers subs most are around the 70 minute.
Its more the rare than the norm if subs are made early.
I understand the players anger when they get subbed in 1st half or in the 50th min. Why not do it at half time boss ? Would be my response.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Rodley Mariner
January 29, 2023, 1:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
I completely understand why he didn't make the subs - everyone was playing well and we were well in the game. A sub taking a couple of minutes to find the pace of the game might have been all it took. Felt like 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
TheRealJohnLewis
January 29, 2023, 1:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Players had had 2 weeks off due to postponements so there would be very little fatigue in the legs, so no one really needed replacing. Plus, there was only Scannell on the bench who can change a game and will still need time to settle into the team like he did last season.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
Jarmo.Is.God
January 29, 2023, 1:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Not read through the thread, so sorry if repeating.

How bloody good does it feel to not panic when a lofty ball comes in with Max in goal?

He's a great character by the looks of things, and an incredible goalkeeper at this level.... Can't remember ever moaning about his performances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
ginnywings
January 29, 2023, 4:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from grimsby pete
Too much calling Hurst for late subs if we look at other managers subs most are around the 70 minute.
Its more the rare than the norm if subs are made early.
I understand the players anger when they get subbed in 1st half or in the 50th min. Why not do it at half time boss ? Would be my response.

This is something I have pointed out more than once. Most substitutions are made post 70 mins.

Apart from that, the players are being monitored every minute of the game via their tracking devices. The manager knows in real time if a player is struggling from their readings. It's a different world now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
GrimRob
January 29, 2023, 7:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I completely understand why he didn't make the subs - everyone was playing well and we were well in the game. A sub taking a couple of minutes to find the pace of the game might have been all it took. Felt like 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' to me.

I bet you wouldn't have said that if we had conceded though

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 54
It Bites
January 29, 2023, 7:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
With the threadbare squad and the way we were playing there was never a thought in my mind that we needed to make any Subs untill the moment we did
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Rodley Mariner
January 29, 2023, 8:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I bet you wouldn't have said that if we had conceded though

I would. Football management is considerably harder than a lot of people on social media make it read. And we didn't so........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
aldi_01
January 29, 2023, 8:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Thing is, and fair play to the lads, but we didn’t look dead on our feet…we had something left…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
Rodley Mariner
January 29, 2023, 8:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
It's probably been said though I don't think I've read it but it was a brave call, though the right one, to pick Morris and Hunt yesterday. Needed the ability on the ball when they were under a lot of pressure. Would have been easy to pick Green for his physicality and all his qualities but we would have had even less possession if he'd played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.