Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawley Off / postponed  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

Crawley Off / postponed  (merged)

This thread currently has 4,148 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
January 24, 2023, 9:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Pretty mild in London and all the grass/earth I walked past en route to work today is completely soft. Someone closer to Crawley in a WhatsApp group saying the same.

They've called this off too early. I'm saying this match could have easily gone ahead. The Crawley weather forecast indicated this was going to be the case too.

Frustrating, was looking forward to a few beers after work and hopping on a train to watch Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
davmariner
January 24, 2023, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Yes I’m not far from Crawley. Out this morning to walk the dog and grass seemed a lot softer than I expected. Think it would have been playable.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Les Brechin
January 24, 2023, 9:36am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
People moan when a game's called off too early.

People moan when a game's called off too late.

You can't win!!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Son of Cod
January 24, 2023, 9:51am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

You can't win!!

There's a middle ground between calling a 3pm game off at 1:15pm on the same day and calling a 7:45pm game off at 5:45pm the day before though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Chrisblor
January 24, 2023, 11:26am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from Les Brechin

You can't win!!

Yes, because in both cases they've got it wrong, and in this case if they'd bothered to pay attention to the overnight weather forecast instead of some of the terminal bores on here we'd have been likely able to play the match this evening.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Mikey_345
January 24, 2023, 11:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
We are speculating somewhat, as we haven't seen the pitch so don't really know (speculating without the information? On the fishy? Never!)

However living in South London the ground is pretty soft today, which is surprising.

I wonder if all the criticism this weekend has made the Ref's go to far the wrong way. I think, on the face of it with limited knowledge, calling yesterday seems a little to early. Don't see why they couldn't have assessed this morning. But with the fixture pile up across the leagues I can't see them wanting to do that when they don't need to... so who knows!!  

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
Son of Cod
January 24, 2023, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Whitehawk were also due to play at home tonight and called their game off after a 10am inspection so maybe it is possible that all of us living in London poking the ground at the local common/park and declaring that the game definitely could have gone ahead are indeed incorrect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Sussexmariner
January 24, 2023, 12:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +623
Gold Stars: 18
I could be wrong but I believe I am the closest Mariner living nearest the Crawley Town ground (10 minute drive) and I can confirm even after a night of non freezing temperatures (still very cold) and today of the same  the ground is still like concrete, Not a chance tonight’s game would of gone ahead even if they had a pitch inspection at 6pm tonight, the ground is solid, So all of you weather/football pitch experts stop making yourself look stupid, the match was rightly called off….move on

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
ginnywings
January 24, 2023, 1:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Out with dog and ground is still hard enough to be unplayable here in Clee. Can't see it being a whole lot different in Crawley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
Maringer
January 24, 2023, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
If our groundsmen know if our pitch is likely to be playable the day before a game and following a cold spell, surely the Crawley groundmen will know if their pitch is likely to be playable the day before a game and following a cold spell?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawley Off / postponed  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.