Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

You think there's not much difference between 2k and 3k a week? Unless you're a millionaire, there's a massive difference.

In relative terms, its not, 2k on 3 years or 3k on 2 years?. Equates the same but for a footballer an extra year of security means more, allows them to settle, get kids in school, build a social life....small gains but be the difference during contract negotiations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 130
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from pen penfras

You can look at it like that, or like our form is 23rd over the last 10 games. Slade had us in the playoffs at the end of November the season we nearly went down. The teams down at the bottom are improving, if we don't then relegation is a real possibility.

Not that I think we will go down, but there's some misguided optimism that we're nailed on to stay up because the bottom teams were so bad for the first 15 or so games, they're spending to fix that and we aren't. Our confidence from the end of last season is well and truly gone. Promoted sides are often worse in the second half of the season when the bounce is over and the other teams figure them out.

I'm fairly confident the only time we occupied a play off spot that season was after the opening day win at Chesterfield. Other than that our highest league position that season was 11th. Am I wrong?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 130
lukeo
January 15, 2023, 6:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,416
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Nutsy
I would like to see Paul be more adventurous with the line up, rather than inviting pressure and playing to defend first.

O'Neill
Khan-McAtee-Kiernan
Clifton Hunt
Glennon-Maher-Smith-Efete
Crocombe

Something like the above, and utilise Clifton's pressing and energy.

No idea why Hunt is not getting a look as we paid a fee and he could be a difference maker in tight games. I admit we need to improve defensively and we are still waiting for the elusive striker..

Green in for mcatee and I agree with you. 433/4123.
McAtee has undoubted talent but he's been way off these past few games. Noone is undroppable, we need 11 hard working battling players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 6:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,006
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from lukeo

Green in for mcatee and I agree with you. 433/4123.
McAtee has undoubted talent but he's been way off these past few games. Noone is undroppable, we need 11 hard working battling players.

Green in for McAtee?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 130
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 6:16pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

In relative terms, its not, 2k on 3 years or 3k on 2 years?. Equates the same but for a footballer an extra year of security means more, allows them to settle, get kids in school, build a social life....small gains but be the difference during contract negotiations.

Come on, nobody in their right mind takes 2k for 3 years over 3k for 2 years. There's the gamble that you might get injured and you've lost a bit of money by paying more tax but every person on this forum would take that gamble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 130
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 6:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from chaos33

Can you give us some examples of the money spent/players signed by Rochdale, Hartlepool, Harrogate, Crawley etc and your assessment on the quality of those players so we can start a balanced assessment of who’s doing what, and don’t get sucked into an alarmist, negative, moany swamp.

You can’t, can you penfras.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 130
HerveJosse
January 15, 2023, 6:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from 123614
@ pen penfras.  Sorry to pick you out, but your post was the last I read.

So, hypothetically, if you were the Manager of GTFC, how would you go about buying a suitable striker for the team?

Lets see, you know the striker you want and you make a bid to the club for X amount of money.  The club turns it down so after much thought you offer them XX amount, again it is turned down.  So you add a couple of clauses and a few more XX's, and the cub accepts the bid, HURRAH!

Now you have to speak to the player about his contract, after 3 attempts to entice him to the club with very good weekly wage offers, in fact the top wage earner in the club, he refuses and wants more.  You can't pay him any more, so it's a No Sale.

What if this same scenario happens two or three times with different players, maybe with different reasons not to sign, what do you do then?

I would think I am in the wrong job
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew

I like that people have different points of view and I enjoy the debate that brings (except maybe with you, given how much you take everything to heart).

What boils my urine is when opinions are lambasted as negative and just dismissed. People are paying damn good money for this and it’s absolutely abysmal.

I get the anger and frustration, and you're right to voice it, but all fans pay good money to watch their team and they can't all be winning games every week, that's how a league structure works.

For every good side, there are two that are not so good. There's the top eight, the mid table eight, which we are in, just, and the bottom eight, two of whom will be relegated into the abyss.

We've been in this league for half a season and are above sides who have been established a lot longer in it than we have. Their fans pay good money too, but as fans, we support the team and hope for the best. If we are still struggling at the end of the season, then yeah, have a rant, but there is a long way to go yet.

We have games in hand, a slightly more agreeable set of fixtures coming up and 2 weeks left of the window, so I'd say it's not yet abysmal myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 130
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 7:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from immariner
This season is a bonus season when you look at where we were at this point last season and the 95th minute at Notts County. We're not getting relegated, it's as simple as that. Obviously I'd prefer it if we were challenging for the play offs but we're not. Unnecessary drama

How come all these other clubs seem to carry the momentum of promotion into a new season and gain a further promotion or have a good go at it at least?
We have no ambition from the manager or owners other than to "consolidate" our position, why? Why not kick on whilst we had the chance, oh wait, we failed to prepare by not signing decent players despite the likes of desi and Abrahams wanting to stay.
I would of fancied us to do something with those two up front instead of the children loanees which other more savvy clubs seem to lumber us with to "toughen them up" we can't afford to keep making the same mistakes every season if we are to progress.
Other clubs can do it, even the gimps did it.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Phil the cod

How come all these other clubs seem to carry the momentum of promotion into a new season and gain a further promotion or have a good go at it at least?
We have no ambition from the manager or owners other than to "consolidate" our position, why? Why not kick on whilst we had the chance, oh wait, we failed to prepare by not signing decent players despite the likes of desi and Abrahams wanting to stay.
I would of fancied us to do something with those two up front instead of the children loanees which other more savvy clubs seem to lumber us with to "toughen them up" we can't afford to keep making the same mistakes every season if we are to progress.
Other clubs can do it, even the gimps did it.

Sorry, but the Gimps "consolidated" for a season and then went up the following one.

For every club that gets a second promotion, there are at least 2 that don't. Where are Hartlepool for instance? Newport etc etc.

York got back in the league, then plummeted back 2 more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 130
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.