Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Swindon
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 246 Guests

Match Thread Swindon

This thread currently has 23,083 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
January 15, 2023, 10:03am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I don’t believe for a minute the argument that Hurst won’t pay the money and we know he’s put bids in for players to have them knocked back.

Proving he won't pay the money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 232
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 10:17am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
What was the thinking behind giving a full debut to a young player on loan, with no EFL experience to speak of, at one of the leading teams in the division, who presumably doesn't even know his team mates names, how they play or anything about them?

How can the ultra cautious Hurst go from never using subs before the 70th minute, to throwing a youngster in the deep end like that?

Players come in every window and don't seem to hit the spot, and the same will happen this time. There will be a flurry of signings again now in the next 2 weeks but there seems precious little evidence he even knows what he wants.

What happened to the oft repeated line of they have got to be the right fit, or was that just a smokescreen to gloss over the fact we can't attract quality players that would improve us?

Because we don't have anyone else. Taylor looks past it and has been a country mile better than anybody else we've tried. McAtee has been garbage except the first sub appearance and that isn't his role anyway.

To be fair, the new lad looked decent in the first 10 minutes and probably caught the eye more than anybody else on our team. I wouldn't write him off yet, but it's a big ask expecting him to be the answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 232
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 10:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Garth

Not necessarily….. maybe he offered the money he had which is a different scenario.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 232
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 10:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
What was the thinking behind giving a full debut to a young player on loan, with no EFL experience to speak of, at one of the leading teams in the division, who presumably doesn't even know his team mates names, how they play or anything about them?

How can the ultra cautious Hurst go from never using subs before the 70th minute, to throwing a youngster in the deep end like that?

Players come in every window and don't seem to hit the spot, and the same will happen this time. There will be a flurry of signings again now in the next 2 weeks but there seems precious little evidence he even knows what he wants.

What happened to the oft repeated line of they have got to be the right fit, or was that just a smokescreen to gloss over the fact we can't attract quality players that would improve us?

I think it’s evident that we currently can’t attract the quality we aspire to. I’m not sure whether we’ll ever get to know if that’s down to fees, salaries, location, facilities, league position or we can convince the player but not the agent but I refuse to believe we’re not doing all we can.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 232
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Who says he isn't the right fit?

From what I gather, he was one of the better players for us. Bit of a baptism of fire for him, but i don't think it would have mattered  who we played. They were just clearly better than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 232
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

Because we don't have anyone else. Taylor looks past it and has been a country mile better than anybody else we've tried. McAtee has been garbage except the first sub appearance and that isn't his role anyway.

To be fair, the new lad looked decent in the first 10 minutes and probably caught the eye more than anybody else on our team. I wouldn't write him off yet, but it's a big ask expecting him to be the answer.

We had Kiernan Orsi and Wearne on the bench. All of those know their team mates, the style of play and know what League 2 is all about, yet we threw an 18 year old (?) in.

The new lad may be better than those 3 subs but at least give him a chance to settle in.

It's the disparity between the normally ultra cautious and putting a young player straight in that makes me think something is amiss. Like he was trying to make a point.
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 232
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
So, you don’t like it when he doesn’t try something different, and you don’t like it when he does?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 232
friskneymariner
January 15, 2023, 12:14pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I have decided not to comment until today,but  all the concerns I had in August are being realised. We started the season off 3/4 light and this is the direct consequence of this. It was obvious to a 12 year old our strikers were not sufficient and those we brought in were merely stocking fillers from Aldi..
I stated when Messrs Petite and Stockwood took over I would not pass judgment until well into the season.I consider now is the time.They were welcome with an incredible amount of good will and hailed as rescuing the club.This manifested itself in a significant increase in attendances and season ticket sales.This was accompanied with an increase in the sales of merchandise.In conjunction with player sales and a decent cup run the club has generated a significant increase in income.
Let me remind the board the core function of their enterprise is to deliver entertaining  football,well you failing at delivering your core function.If you take for granted the goodwill that has been shown to you. will evaporate. Fine words in the Guardian  butter no parsnips,you need to invest in good quality players if you wish this project to succeed.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 232
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Garth

Except it doesn’t prove that. That’s just 2+2=5.

You know nothing about the ‘bid’ or why it was turned down. Could’ve been a fee. Might not. Could’ve been wages, or the player not wanting to move, or other clubs interested or countless other things.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 232
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 1:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
I have decided not to comment until today,but  all the concerns I had in August are being realised. We started the season off 3/4 light and this is the direct consequence of this. It was obvious to a 12 year old our strikers were not sufficient and those we brought in were merely stocking fillers from Aldi..
I stated when Messrs Petite and Stockwood took over I would not pass judgment until well into the season.I consider now is the time.They were welcome with an incredible amount of good will and hailed as rescuing the club.This manifested itself in a significant increase in attendances and season ticket sales.This was accompanied with an increase in the sales of merchandise.In conjunction with player sales and a decent cup run the club has generated a significant increase in income.
Let me remind the board the core function of their enterprise is to deliver entertaining  football,well you failing at delivering your core function.If you take for granted the goodwill that has been shown to you. will evaporate. Fine words in the Guardian  butter no parsnips,you need to invest in good quality players if you wish this project to succeed.

Absolute boll0x, the board of a football club are not accountable for delivering entertainment. In our case the board are accountable for the betterment of the club something that overall if you look at their time at the helm they’ve delivered on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 232
24 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Swindon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.