2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
January 11, 2023, 8:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
I think it would be incredible if the magnificent fans of GTFC could help our Stricken Neighbours down the 180. It's time to put rivalry aside and help them by showing our support. After all what is football with out a rivalry. Get on their Scunny Fans Facebook group and show them some love
Private Message
supertown
January 11, 2023, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
Cruel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
aldi_01
January 11, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In all seriousness, rivalry is what we love. Scunny go by the way side, we don’t have a rival. I’d rather play scunny every season than someone like Stevenage or Crawley.

I work with a genuine scunny fan and have been fiends with a scunny fan since school and those poor illegitimates are going through the wringer because of Swann. Neither are the loser types that mocked us either.

In fact, both times we’ve gone up, my mate from school has been the first to congratulate me. I think some support from other fans is actually important right now. Their plight is horrible and I suspect, had they been positioned geographically nearer a big city they’d be getting significantly more coverage…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
promotion plaice
January 11, 2023, 8:57pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Wouldn't be surprised if they stay up after their convincing win over Maidenhead, it must have lifted the confidence and mood in the camp but it's still a tall order.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Poojah
January 11, 2023, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from aldi_01
In all seriousness, rivalry is what we love. Scunny go by the way side, we don’t have a rival. I’d rather play scunny every season than someone like Stevenage or Crawley.

I work with a genuine scunny fan and have been fiends with a scunny fan since school and those poor illegitimates are going through the wringer because of Swann. Neither are the loser types that mocked us either.

In fact, both times we’ve gone up, my mate from school has been the first to congratulate me. I think some support from other fans is actually important right now. Their plight is horrible and I suspect, had they been positioned geographically nearer a big city they’d be getting significantly more coverage…

Bang on the money, old pal. The vast majority of their fans are no different to us; loyal supporters of a not very good football team from a maligned town with largely spent industry.

For what it’s worth, I’d happily stick a tenner in a bucket for them, or the digital equivalent thereof, but satisfying the HMRC is merely the veneer of the problem. As long as Swann is in charge of the club, it is doomed to fail, because it’s quite literally worth more dead to him than alive.

I would imagine to buy him, and the ground out, you’d be looking at north of £5m. Ain’t no crowdfunder in the world raising that sort of cash (not withstanding the moral dilemma that raising funds for Scunny fans would in effect mean raising funds for Swann).

If the Iron Trust had launched a campaign of some sort with some discernible end goal then I’m sure a lot of Town fans would support it, for all the reasons above. But in the absence of that, it’s difficult to know what to do.

I’d argue that phoenixing the club might be the best option at this stage, but yet again you’d be playing straight into Swann’s hands. It’s looking a lot like checkmate for them.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
headingly_mariner
January 11, 2023, 9:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from aldi_01

Absolutely. I take no joy from this. I really hope they can get rid of that twit and get sorted out. I'd like them to have a bonfire for us to urine on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
diehardmariner
January 12, 2023, 12:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
With Poojah here, putting into a bucket now is just delaying the inevitable and I'd argue is cruel to eek this out any longer than it needs to.

He's got them over the barrel and I don't see a way out, sadly.

I work in Scunthorpe and, like others, love to gloat... But there's a line where a bit of friendly rivalry goes out the window.  I'd happily donate to them, but for when they inevitably become a phoenix club. At least that way it's not just going down the (excuse the pun) swanny.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
diehardmariner
January 12, 2023, 12:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from aldi_01
Their plight is horrible and I suspect, had they been positioned geographically nearer a big city they’d be getting significantly more coverage…

The silence from the likes of Kevin Keegan and Club President Ian Botham is staggering.

Botham was guest editor on The Today Programme on Boxing Day, a huge opportunity to get this issue aired on a credible national platform.

Silence. Absolute silence.

We were fortunate that, despite the fact we're even more out on a geographical limb, we got the airtime and attention we needed when we needed it.

Scunny aren't getting that when it perhaps should have been easier to do so.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Captaincod
January 12, 2023, 12:33am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
I agree with all of the above . I’ve spent a lot of time working in Scunthorpe and know a good few of their fans. Despite the rivalry they’re very similar to us , an unfashionable club in a run down town who punched above their weight before falling from grace thanks to poor leadership.
If it wasn’t for a tip off to the telegraph regarding the Alex May saga it could have been us.
I’ve never supported a prem team , for me football is all about the grass roots. My dad took me to my first match in the late 70,s now I take my lad . I’ve seen us play at over 80 grounds, from beating Liverpool at Anfield to seeing us lose in a glorified chicken coup at Tamworth ! GTFC has always been a big part of my life and I’ve always felt a great sense of pride and belonging and togetherness throughout all the ups and downs we’ve had, I wouldn’t want to deprive anyone of that, whatever team they support.
For me, last seasons play offs were our greatest achievement, better than the double 98 Wembley wins. To beat 3 teams as underdogs in the manner we did was unbelievable. I was also humbled by all the good luck messages on social media and donations for tickets for the final from Wrexham fans after we had beaten them in the way that we did . They really showed their class and I’d like to think we could do the same towards our nearest rivals.
Suffer in the national league for a good few seasons like we did yes I’d like that , but to go bust no.
There’s been far to many clubs ruined by egotistical owners. All fans should stand together against owners like Fenty and Swann . Football is for the fans not the money men .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
RonMariner
January 12, 2023, 12:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,864
Gold Stars: 231
Looks to me like they will have to start again from scratch, a phoenix club. But they have a reasonable fan base and will eventually be able to get back to some level of professional football. It make take a few years, but the likes of AFC Wimbledon and Aldershot have managed it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Help

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.