Rick12
January 9, 2023, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981
Sinclair for me. That Rivaldo effort is pretty special too.
Sorry Rick but as far as overhead kicks go that’s bang average!😊

Each to their own 😉.Having said that some wonderful players being named here especially Rivaldo who  was a brilliant operator  👏.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
St. Pauli
January 9, 2023, 9:40pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RM_5tJncHww&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Does this Ibrahimovic master-stroke qualfy for this competition ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
Poojah
January 9, 2023, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from St. Pauli

Does this Ibrahimovic master-stroke qualfy for this competition ?

Open goal.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
January 9, 2023, 11:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
It's this one, as mentioned earlier.

https://youtu.be/a6OHXjh2CLk

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
aldi_01
January 10, 2023, 6:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Muzzy Izzets goal was out of this world and had it not been scored at BP on a Tuesday night (IIRC) but scored at somewhere significantly more glamour in it would be mentioned a lot more…

As for Bale, won everything, earned excrement loads, scores some mega goals, it’s safe to say he’s had a successful career, that said, I do wonder if he proves himself out of a move which would likely have meant he’d have played significantly more games and would probably still be playing.

He was dreadful at the World Cup, perhaps his heart isn’t in it anymore…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2023, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Absolute top class player who despite a poor World Cup carried his country for a good while.

One thing still irritates me though is an interview just before he’d left Spurs when he’d been awarded a dubious penalty, when asked about it his response was “if there’s contact I’m allowed to go down” can’t remember that in the rules but there you go he’s no different to the majority of players I guess.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
darren9
January 10, 2023, 8:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Shame. CDAJATL

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
Maringer
January 10, 2023, 8:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
He's really not been that bothered for some years now. His loan spell at Spurs the other year was pretty disappointing, considering he should have been at his prime. He still got a decent return of goals then thanks to his innate ability but never looked like he was getting out of second gear. I watched quite a few Real games on TV during the couple of seasons after he joined and he was really, really good a lot of the time.

Then, they did the usual thing of trying to turf him out and it spoiled the best years of his career to some degree. He's won loads, made himself a fortune but, for me, there will always be the thought of what if. He could have been even better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
diehardmariner
January 10, 2023, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Absolutely incredible player.

With any player there's always a what if.  With Maradona, how good/long could he have gone on if he wasn't coked up to his eyeballs, Messi could have led Argentina to more if he had actually cared about playing for them earlier in his career, Ronaldo if he had figured out how to be a team player, Pele if he had played in Europe...

Bale was, for my money anyway, the best player in the world for a period.  It just so happens that it was at the time when there was an obsession with Messi/Ronaldo and there was no chance that anyone was ever going to be crowned when they were around.

Take away the golf jibes, take away the way his career fizzled out, take away the fact he hates England...he's without shadow of a doubt the best player to emerge from these shores.  Potentially the likes of Rooney, Best, Gazza et al. should have maybe held that title and done more with their careers, but they didn't.  
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
Son of Cod
January 10, 2023, 9:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from quebec38
Debate over whether he is the best British player ever today. For me, he was a phenomenal player at his peak. Most decorated possibly (5 champs leagues was it?), but not the best ever.

Had a poor World Cup in a poor Wales team. 7 touches against England in the first half I think it was and gave away the ball 4 times or something. He looked finished to me so not surprised at the news, really.

As good as he was at his peak, he can't be in that conversation based off longevity alone. He's tossed off the last however many seasons so that he could take 450,000k p/w instead of something like 150,000k pw and be playing football. Which is his prerogative and I'm not slating him for that in terms of a moral angle, a contract's a contract and I kind of respect him for standing up to Real Madrid the way he has but unfortunately in doing so he's sacrificed his place at the top table of football for me. As hideous a man as he is, you're probably looking at someone like Giggs as best British player of all time. 13 PL titles, 2 CLs and 950+ appearances I think he's got.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gareth Bale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.