pen penfras
December 28, 2022, 10:01am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

We've played 21 games in the league and conceded 23 goals which is not 2 goals every week. Add in the cup games means according to you we have conceded 19 goals in the cup games where as we have conceded is 11 goals in cup ties.

If you wish to spout propagander please use the correct figures,

It's an exaggeration and is clearly not meant literally. Although us getting roasted down that side in most games isn't an exaggeration. We're shite on the left defensively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 126
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2022, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
For me it’s not a straight “either-or” between Kiernan & JMD, it’s a squad game and given you can make 5 changes throughout the game there’s plenty of room for both.

My problem is that Hurst is incapable of finding a system that allows someone like JMD to play to their strengths, which when given the opportunity can produce goals on a fairly consistent basis. There’s not a single player in the squad with the vision & ability to play a pass like the one above and it’s criminal that he’s being shipped out because he doesn’t bez about the pitch like Eliud Kipchoge.

Last 20-25 minutes when you NEED a goal, would you rather have JMD on the pitch, or another robot great at running doggies but unable to do anything beyond a 10-yard square pass?

I agree with most of this. It's certainly a squad game now and the most successful teams are those that identify which players exploit the opposition weaknesses the most and then react best to the game with their 5 possible substitutions from 7.

JMD is a frustrating one because he's definitely not an athlete but his goal contribution per minute played has to be up there. When the game is even and just needs a touch of class to make the difference, he would be an ideal substitute to make the difference. If JMD could get up and down and put his foot in, he wouldn't be anywhere near this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 126
DB
December 28, 2022, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from pen penfras

It's an exaggeration and is clearly not meant literally. Although us getting roasted down that side in most games isn't an exaggeration. We're shite on the left defensively.

I agree, we don't seem to have anybody capable of defending on the left, as has been found out by the opposition time and time again. Ou left sided players are ok going forward but they are defenders first.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 126
mariner91
December 28, 2022, 10:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ska face
For me it’s not a straight “either-or” between Kiernan & JMD, it’s a squad game and given you can make 5 changes throughout the game there’s plenty of room for both.

My problem is that Hurst is incapable of finding a system that allows someone like JMD to play to their strengths, which when given the opportunity can produce goals on a fairly consistent basis. There’s not a single player in the squad with the vision & ability to play a pass like the one above and it’s criminal that he’s being shipped out because he doesn’t bez about the pitch like Eliud Kipchoge.

Last 20-25 minutes when you NEED a goal, would you rather have JMD on the pitch, or another robot great at running doggies but unable to do anything beyond a 10-yard square pass?

More difficult though when the manager is stubborn in making substitutions and absolutely won't do one before 70 minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 126
pen penfras
December 28, 2022, 10:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from mariner91

More difficult though when the manager is stubborn in making substitutions and absolutely won't do one before 70 minutes.

Funny, isn't it. Subs have always seemed the weakest part of Hurst's decision making. From the Parslow point type subs that he often makes, to the lack of changing things that don't seem to be working until it's too late.

Then the end of last season and start of this, we seemed to get some earlier subs that impacted games and it felt like a hallelujah moment. Now he seems to have reverted back to type.

Yesterday was so poor. McAtee got little all game and Khan looked tired/less effiective. He then waits until we've thrown the lead away to take off Kiernan, who is about as fit as we have and didn't look tired to me. I suppose it was to try and get more quality to win the game, but McAtee and Khan weren't likely to pull a bunny out of the hat when they were spent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 126
sam gy
December 28, 2022, 11:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Maybe when Taylor is back or another striker is brought in, we might see Clifton back on the left with McAtee dropping deeper and either Kiernan or Khan benched? To be honest I like both of them so it would be harsh but it could make us more solid on that left side?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 126
Mariner_09
December 28, 2022, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from sam gy
Maybe when Taylor is back or another striker is brought in, we might see Clifton back on the left with McAtee dropping deeper and either Kiernan or Khan benched? To be honest I like both of them so it would be harsh but it could make us more solid on that left side?

That’s what I think will happen, I’d like to see Morris come back in and play with Gav in midfield. Apart from win a lot in the air, Green seems very limited to me and Morris looked a class act before his injury.

Of course, if by some miracle he gets up and running and stays fit, Scanz blows everyone else out the water in terms of quality and even work rate!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 126
Croxton
December 28, 2022, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from sam gy

Luke Armstrong was the difference for Harrogate. Physical, skilful, able to play 'on the shoulder' or with back to goal. He literally is their system, bang on form, and we let it happen. He is within easy reach of his beloved Durham and is contracted until 2025.

The idea that an injury prone Taylor may come back and inspire a rejuvenation is for the birds. We need two forward players, one of whom is pacy, another with hold up skills. There just aren't enough multi taskers like Armstrong or Quigley around. The ones that do exist know their value and dictate where they are prepared to play. Hopefully, our new recruitment guru knows of someone in the Scottish leagues who wants to play in the EFL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 126
TownSNAFU5
December 28, 2022, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I like the skills and creativity of JMD (and indeed Max Wright).  Both have scored important goals for as well.  The trouble is though that neither player can consistently produce, to a high level, what the manager and team needed from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 126
sam gy
December 28, 2022, 12:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Croxton

Luke Armstrong was the difference for Harrogate. Physical, skilful, able to play 'on the shoulder' or with back to goal. He literally is their system, bang on form, and we let it happen. He is within easy reach of his beloved Durham and is contracted until 2025.

The idea that an injury prone Taylor may come back and inspire a rejuvenation is for the birds. We need two forward players, one of whom is pacy, another with hold up skills. There just aren't enough multi taskers like Armstrong or Quigley around. The ones that do exist know their value and dictate where they are prepared to play. Hopefully, our new recruitment guru knows of someone in the Scottish leagues who wants to play in the EFL.

Yeah, wasn’t insinuating that Taylor is the answer, more referring to what we currently have on the books. But he does get McAtee playing, and for that reason alone he plays if he’s fit, right now.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 126
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › JMD

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.