8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
December 23, 2022, 2:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The championship isn’t out of reach but it does require significant investment in key areas, and no, I don’t mean spaffing millions on a ground. More on increased wages, training facilities and bringing in additional sponsorship.

The problem our Welsh friend has is it’s GTFC, not Man Utd, and with the comes the fact that many a person ‘knows someone at the club’. Thing is, some of the folk that have worked at the club in the past have been as useless as the previous owner/chairman/de facto chairman/non chairman/non non chairman. They were arguably as complicit in the dreadful running of the club as he was. Not sure I’d take everything they say as gospel.

They’ve probably overheard the word ‘crowd funding’ but that’s it. There are grants and various funding streams to tap in to which I’ve no doubt they’re exploring, like any half sensible person would. Over the last 18 months the club has generated a significant amount of income from various means, income that wasn’t likely factored in to any budgeting etc. average gates have gone up well beyond anything we saw under Fenty, we shifted more ST than I’ve ever known (irrelevant whether they turn up or not) and we’re currently in the third round of the cup.

Back to the original debate, I expect Notts County to bottle it to be honest, that said, if, and it’s a big if, Wrexham don’t buy their way out in January, I’d fancy them to bottle it in the playoffs again. They’ve still got the idiot in charge and quite frankly, with the squad they’ve got, they should be playing much better football and be sat top of the tree.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2022, 3:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,788
Gold Stars: 237
The Championship is just an out of reach fantasy without huge and continuous investment,  in the team the facilities and the stadium.

Sustainable development can only take you so far, and if that model gets us into league 1 we will have done well.

Football is in such a different place to when we last competed against the bigger clubs. Nobody knows the future but it seems the current owners wish to put the club on a decent footing with decent facilities and have the club viewed in a better light which is all to be commended but I don't see them funding the colossal amounts needed above that.

If and when we ever get to league1 then things might look different again but I think the immediate future looks solid rather than spectacular.

Private Message
Reply: 71 - 75
ginnywings
December 23, 2022, 4:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
There are ways to climb to League 1, and possibly the Championship without pumping in massive amounts of private wealth. I would rather we run the club ethically and sustainably, even if that means not being able to compete with a Wrexham or a Notts County in financial terms, if that means we have a club that isn't under threat from the plug being pulled. We have seen what has happened to Scunny with them spending well beyond their means and well beyond what their crowd numbers can support. Financially sound in League 2 is preferable to getting into debt to reach higher.

We need to get the recruitment right and develop young players into saleable assets. If we can unearth a gem or two from the football scrap heap and sell them on for a big profit, then that is the way to move up the leagues sustainably. There are signs that the club are thinking along the same lines with the recruitment recently of the guy whose name escapes me, and whose remit is to find suitable players.

There is also a definite reluctance on the part of PH to go out and spend big on a striker as some fans think should happen because we have sold a lot of season tickets. So a lot of it boils down to patience on the part of the fans. Slow and steady growth is fine by me, but others think differently.

I've waited almost 2 decades for us to get moving in the right direction. I can wait a little longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 75
promotion plaice
December 23, 2022, 8:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 75
Posh Harry
December 23, 2022, 9:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from forza ivano

Where's ffs when you need him? You been out wining n dining with JSF again? You do talk some shiite pen. You REALLY think a hugely successful businessman like JS would seriously consider crowdfunding as a source of income?
Also just for your info 1)we are averaging 6k crowds this year , not 5k   2) scunny n wycombe with similar crowds managed to get to the championship, so its not the impossible ask that you make out.

Please don’t quote scunny as a model to follow Forza 😱
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 75
bradzmilne
December 23, 2022, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from promotion plaice

I hope it happens but I highly doubt it will. Turkeys voting for Christmas, comes to mind.

I think it’s potentially time for the top 5 divisions to have a uniformed agreement on promotion/relegation. If all leagues became 3 up, 3 down… Surely, that makes sense?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League Title / Promotion race

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.