DB
December 22, 2022, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from pen penfras

Notts County seem to have been in this situation constantly for at least 10 years. They always seem to be about to go to the wall and somebody steps in to save them.

They're not going to get to the Championship in a few years, that's almost as ridiculous as thinking we're going to get there. Best realistic case is L1 and they won't get back anywhere near what they're putting in.

In August 2021, and for the rest of the season I kept posting " Going UP ". Sometimes I was ridiculed but you know what happened. What you call ridiculous does come true and it makes you look ridiculous making such statements.

Town will reach the Championship in the next few years. They now have the ownership and management structure to do this, unlike the old regime which took us from the Championship and dumped into the NL .

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 75
pen penfras
December 22, 2022, 7:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

In August 2021, and for the rest of the season I kept posting " Going UP ". Sometimes I was ridiculed but you know what happened. What you call ridiculous does come true and it makes you look ridiculous making such statements.

Town will reach the Championship in the next few years. They now have the ownership and management structure to do this, unlike the old regime which took us from the Championship and dumped into the NL .

In August 2021, it wasn't ridiculous to think that we'd get promoted to L2 as one of the biggest clubs in that division. It did seem less likely by January, but never ridiculous when we were still high up the league.

It is ridiculous to think we'll be in the Championship in a few years. We're so, so far away from having the money, facilities and infrastructure to compete at even the top end of L1. Spending a few grand polishing the turd that is Blundell Park isn't going to do it. We need serious investment and there's absolutely no sign that it will be forthcoming.

I know how JS intended to fund the investments they plan to make, and it'll go down like a lead balloon unless they've changed their mind. And even if they have, I don't see where the money is coming from when we're a 'sustainable' club with about 5k fans and an ever growing contingent of office staff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 75
ska face
December 22, 2022, 7:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from pen penfras

I know how JS intended to fund the investments they plan to make, and it'll go down like a lead balloon unless they've changed their mind. And even if they have, I don't see where the money is coming from when we're a 'sustainable' club with about 5k fans and an ever growing contingent of office staff.

How do you know now? Cos you certainly didn’t about a fortnight back.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 75
arryarryarry
December 22, 2022, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DB

To be fair in 20/21 you kept saying we would win every game and that we would stay up
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 75
lukeo
December 23, 2022, 6:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,421
Gold Stars: 149
Seeing all of these latest figures from other clubs oweing millions to people, I'll take a mid table club that's run well and almost debt free.
Yes it's supposed to be a result based business but id much prefer to see my team hovering around league 2 play offs every now and then, than going up to league 1 getting into loads of debt and plummeting down into the depths of non league again...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 75
DB
December 23, 2022, 6:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be fair in 20/21 you kept saying we would win every game and that we would stay up

I still believe that we can get promoted again to L1. When you look at our opening game against Orient, now flying top of the league, there was not a vast amount of difference. We are now in a similar position to last year and a good run in the new year would see us in the playoff places.

I have never been to a Town league match and thought we would lose or scrape a draw. I do realise we will not win every league game but a win in the league is always my first hope.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 75
DB
December 23, 2022, 6:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

In August 2021, it wasn't ridiculous to think that we'd get promoted to L2 as one of the biggest clubs in that division. It did seem less likely by January, but never ridiculous when we were still high up the league.

It is ridiculous to think we'll be in the Championship in a few years. We're so, so far away from having the money, facilities and infrastructure to compete at even the top end of L1. Spending a few grand polishing the turd that is Blundell Park isn't going to do it. We need serious investment and there's absolutely no sign that it will be forthcoming.

Can you enlighten the rest of us how it's going to happen, after all we are now a club of clarity and not the old dark days of trust me I know a man who swindled pensioners and can raise the cash ( providing no questions asked).

Come clean PP stop hiding behind a cloak, tell us how?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 75
pen penfras
December 23, 2022, 8:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

Can you enlighten the rest of us how it's going to happen, after all we are now a club of clarity and not the old dark days of trust me I know a man who swindled pensioners and can raise the cash ( providing no questions asked).

Come clean PP stop hiding behind a cloak, tell us how?

I know somebody who used to work at the club that was there when JS said he wanted to use crowd funding from the fans to fund the club in the long term. It was before they bought the club, so about 2 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 75
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2022, 8:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

I know somebody who used to work at the club that was there when JS said he wanted to use crowd funding from the fans to fund the club in the long term. It was before they bought the club, so about 2 years ago.

Not sure how much money they would raise in the current economic climate.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 75
forza ivano
December 23, 2022, 2:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pen penfras

Where's ffs when you need him? You been out wining n dining with JSF again? You do talk some shiite pen. You REALLY think a hugely successful businessman like JS would seriously consider crowdfunding as a source of income?
Also just for your info 1)we are averaging 6k crowds this year , not 5k   2) scunny n wycombe with similar crowds managed to get to the championship, so its not the impossible ask that you make out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League Title / Promotion race

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.