Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are 1878 Any Good
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Are 1878 Any Good

This thread currently has 27,335 views. Print
26 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
DB
December 4, 2022, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Let's face it compared to the last act of the old regime 1878 have only done a virtual total re-vamp of the training ground, new playing surface and sprinklers at BP. Told us upfront a new ground is out of the question, at the moment, but have 5 year plan. They have now started to put more effort into the admin side of the club which was a one man and his dog affair. O and there's that little matter of promotion back into the EFL at the first attempt.

The old regime in their last 6 months failed to buy any new players in the January transfer window, although they said the money was available! Their dying act was to see the club relegated to the national league.

We now have people on here complaining the accounts might not be on time etc.

I for one am very pleased with 1878 for getting the club back into the EFL. I don't believe relegation is on the calendar and, if we have success in the 2nd half of the season like last year, then another promotion may be on the cards.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
December 4, 2022, 5:05pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
I'll warm up the popcorn maker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 259
lukeo
December 4, 2022, 5:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,416
Gold Stars: 149
Yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 259
HerveJosse
December 4, 2022, 5:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from DB
Let's face it compared to the last act of the old regime 1878 have only done a virtual total re-vamp of the training ground, new playing surface and sprinklers at BP. Told us upfront a new ground is out of the question, at the moment, but have 5 year plan. They have now started to put more effort into the admin side of the club which was a one man and his dog affair. O and there's that little matter of promotion back into the EFL at the first attempt.

The old regime in their last 6 months failed to buy any new players in the January transfer window, although they said the money was available! Their dying act was to see the club relegated to the national league.

I for one am very pleased with 1878 for getting the club back into the EFL. I don't believe relegation is on the calendar and, if we have success in the 2nd half of the season like last year, then another promotion may be on the cards.

Another comparison with the old regime . Get out of jail free card  surely worn out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2022, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DB

Interesting that 1878 were part of a consortium that were planning a new stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 259
DB
December 4, 2022, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Interesting that 1878 were part of a consortium that were planning a new stadium.

I think that is where Tom Shutes was involved with the stadium on the docks etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 259
Croxton
December 4, 2022, 5:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
I'll put this misguided, though well intentioned, thread down to nerves before the England game.  

I'm having leftovers from yesterday's meal for tea tonight. Reheating this topic is even less enticing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 259
louth_in_the_south
December 4, 2022, 5:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
Ha excellent thread DB . What next ? Were the Nazis misunderstood?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 259
HertsGTFC
December 4, 2022, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,006
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB

DB as Chris Sutton says on the wireless “you’re better than that” are you familiar with the term click bait.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2022, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

DB as Chris Sutton says on the wireless “you’re better than that” are you familiar with the term click bait.

Hopefully the former failed Lincoln City manager won’t get mentioned too often in the future. Thanks 🙏
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 259
HertsGTFC
December 4, 2022, 6:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hopefully the former failed Lincoln City manager won’t get mentioned too often in the future. Thanks 🙏

Ha ha ha ….. I forgot about his stunning management career.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 259
grimsby pete
December 4, 2022, 6:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
1878 never said they would fix everything overnight they have a long term plan to improve the playing squad every window.

As you said Dave they have already improved a lot of things that was previously neglected .

The proof is in the pudding we shall see in five years of they have carried out all they said is possible.

At this moment in time they have improved the squad , set more backroom staff on and done a lot of work on the pitch and in the stands.

So I say so far so good keep it up and we shall be a successful well run club playing in league one or.hopefully the championship.

Unlike the previous 20 years I can not see us struggling at or near the bottom of L2 dropping into non league .

Jason and Anthony have got the fans backing hence the record season tickets sales but that will soon drop off if they don't deliver success.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 259
Simon
December 4, 2022, 6:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Impressed off the pitch with the infrastructure improvements and new personnel in and around the building but on the pitch are we any better really, i don't think so. Queue the well this time last year comments, yes i appreciate we pulled off the impossible in bouncing back at the first attempt and on the three playoff games no one can say we didn't deserve to go up BUT lets not lose sight of the fact we finished 17pts behind Stockport in 6th place and so far this season we have been average at best

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 259
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 4, 2022, 6:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
A lot better than The 1975

Second album very good. Third album a work in progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 259
Chrisblor
December 4, 2022, 6:58pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
Took over the club, got us promoted at the first go, improving various things around the club - clearly they are good. The people on here constantly nit-picking them are nearly all without fail Fenty's mates / acolytes, or permanently miserable complainers.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2022, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Simon
Impressed off the pitch with the infrastructure improvements and new personnel in and around the building but on the pitch are we any better really, i don't think so. Queue the well this time last year comments, yes i appreciate we pulled off the impossible in bouncing back at the first attempt and on the three playoff games no one can say we didn't deserve to go up BUT lets not lose sight of the fact we finished 17pts behind Stockport in 6th place and so far this season we have been average at best

The previous personnel in the building must have been doing the work of three people 🤔😂. Totally agree regarding the squad, certainly in respect of the attacking options.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 259
IlkleyMariner
December 4, 2022, 7:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
I’m ok
Hope you’re ok

England been good for 10 minutes crap for 35 but we are still 2-0 up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 259
bradzmilne
December 5, 2022, 7:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
I can honestly say that there’s no owners in English football -  I would rather have than Stockwood & Pettit.

Local, emotionally invested and intelligent.

There’s 20 years of damage to repair and naturally we’re not going to agree with everything they do. However, they’re both progressive and reflective.

Sustainability beats impulsive investments and will ensure that Grimbarians will still have a club to watch when we’re all long gone.

Not “happy clapping” and I’m as desperate for a centre forward as everyone else. However, you’ve got to look at the wider picture.

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 259
chaos33
December 5, 2022, 7:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Look, say what you like, but until they get me a calendar they will never have my backing.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 259
davmariner
December 5, 2022, 7:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
They got promoted in their first season at the club…

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 259
Grantley
December 5, 2022, 8:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
So what people basically want is to blow money we don’t have on the off-chance of success instead of fixing the shite infrastructure that has been holding us back for years? Seems about right for some people on here.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 259
Bristol Mariner
December 5, 2022, 9:15am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from grimsby pete
1878 never said they would fix everything overnight they have a long term plan to improve the playing squad every window.

As you said Dave they have already improved a lot of things that was previously neglected .

The proof is in the pudding we shall see in five years of they have carried out all they said is possible.

At this moment in time they have improved the squad , set more backroom staff on and done a lot of work on the pitch and in the stands.

So I say so far so good keep it up and we shall be a successful well run club playing in league one or.hopefully the championship.

Unlike the previous 20 years I can not see us struggling at or near the bottom of L2 dropping into non league .

Jason and Anthony have got the fans backing hence the record season tickets sales but that will soon drop off if they don't deliver success.

Success? We're in L2 ahead of plan, record season tickets hopefully fans not that fickle

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 259
Son of Cod
December 5, 2022, 7:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Simon

The same Stockport that we beat easily in their own backyard a few months ago? Who had the spending power to be able to tempt a top striker and a captain from teams two levels above themselves? Honestly, what do you expect? We've been average at best because that's precisely what we currently are at this level. We've got a solid foundation to build from but if you're expecting this current squad to challenge you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. We're not far off challenging but it's quite clear that we need a couple of good windows to be able to do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 259
aldi_01
December 6, 2022, 6:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Yes…end of thread.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 259
pen penfras
December 6, 2022, 11:07am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB

I think that is where Tom Shutes was involved with the stadium on the docks etc.

I strongly suspect it was, but it doesn't exactly set the impression of their being any actual plan in place. It makes zero sense to attach yourself to a huge, costly project if you think we don't need it. So why do they think we don't need it now.

The training ground doesn't exactly seem like there's a plan in place either. We're asking 'investors' to get involved in paying for it, which I'm led to believe they're talking about crowd funding. Another similarity to Fenty, some attempts to get a stadium going but no real plan for where the money is coming from. I suppose a training ground costs a lot less so might be a bit easier to raise the money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 259
ska face
December 6, 2022, 11:10am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
How have you been “led to believe” a new training ground would be crowdfunded?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 259
jamesgtfc
December 6, 2022, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,049
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face

His mate John might have been asked to contribute £200k?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 259
dapperz fun pub
December 6, 2022, 12:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 84
The pair of them are town lads done good what’s not to like. Theirs been a few hiccups but nothing like the fenty era but relocating should be high on the agenda imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 259
Grantham_Mariner
December 6, 2022, 12:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Are 1878 Any Good..............

Last time someone asked a question as vague as that the answer was 42

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 259
pen penfras
December 6, 2022, 2:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Because that's what JS said when they were in the process of buying the club and Shutes had pulled out. Maybe they've changed their mind, but they're certainly looking for somebody else to pay since they said as much in the last interview
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 259
ska face
December 6, 2022, 2:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Because that's what JS said when they were in the process of buying the club and Shutes had pulled out. Maybe they've changed their mind, but they're certainly looking for somebody else to pay since they said as much in the last interview

Do you think “fund raise” in this context means “crowdfund”? Like with a Blue Peter totaliser?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 259
pen penfras
December 6, 2022, 2:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Do you think “fund raise” in this context means “crowdfund”? Like with a Blue Peter totaliser?

I don't know what it means, it wasn't at all clear other than they won't be doing it. What I do know is they wanted to crowd fund to run the club and raise money. Maybe it's 2 + 2 = 5, but you don't know that's not what they're talking about either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 259
Maringer
December 6, 2022, 2:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
There seems to be some confusion here which conflates the terms "fund raise" and "crowdfund". I think we need a venn diagram to show that there is only some intersection between the two terms.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 259
grimsby pete
December 6, 2022, 2:51pm

Exile
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Success? We're in L2 ahead of plan, record season tickets hopefully fans not that fickle

You are not fickle and i know lots are not either but as we all know some are.

You only  have to look at attendance figures when things go bad on the pitch the attendances go down.

I am a half full bloke so i can only see our club going from strenght to strenght under 1878

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 259
ska face
December 6, 2022, 2:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't know what it means, it wasn't at all clear other than they won't be doing it. What I do know is they wanted to crowd fund to run the club and raise money. Maybe it's 2 + 2 = 5, but you don't know that's not what they're talking about either.

I’d imagine two people who have a background in raising funds through private equity investors would have a slightly more nuanced approach to “fund raising” than asking the fans to chuck some coppers in a bucket, like we were regularly subject to. One owner runs a capital investment firm, the other founded and runs a specialist real estate investment business, as well as being the former head of European Real Estate at Lehman Brothers.

Not sure that the two individuals not funding the venture directly out of their own pockets is really much of a stick to beat them with…
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 259
ginnywings
December 6, 2022, 3:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
There seems to be some confusion here which conflates the terms "fund raise" and "crowdfund". I think we need a venn diagram to show that there is only some intersection between the two terms.

I took it to mean the use of any grants that are available and maybe some investment from local companies.

Pen makes it sound like they are going to troll round the ground with buckets asking for loose change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 259
December 6, 2022, 3:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Pen makes it sound like they are going to troll round the ground with buckets asking for loose change.

Loose Change? Wasn’t she Fenty’s 5th wife?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 259
forza ivano
December 6, 2022, 3:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ska face

I’d imagine two people who have a background in raising funds through private equity investors would have a slightly more nuanced approach to “fund raising” than asking the fans to chuck some coppers in a bucket, like we were regularly subject to. One owner runs a capital investment firm, the other founded and runs a specialist real estate investment business, as well as being the former head of European Real Estate at Lehman Brothers.

Not sure that the two individuals not funding the venture directly out of their own pockets is really much of a stick to beat them with…

Sad to see Pen regressing to his old self of talking bollox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Exactly. This lad (penfras) can’t stop himself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 259
lew chaterleys lover
December 6, 2022, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,785
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ska face

That all sounds fantastic and I think that is partly what excited us when they took over. I for one thought hey up, two very intelligent and wealthy and successful businessman sounds perfect, especially as they seemed, as you say to have access to money raising and investment opportunities Fenty could only dream about.

That business acumen also raises expectations though, doesn’t it? All that financial expertise but we still seem to have a mid range playing budget, and even getting an established league 2 striker seems a struggle. This is in addition to being one of the best supported teams in the league with income way above what was expected.

You can be as sustainable as you like, and like everyone else I hope GTFC become a beacon for the community but football is about excitement and knowing you can compete with the better clubs.

People in football know because of our gates and the history of the owners we are not short of money so it is not a question of trying to fool agents and players about our finances.

1878 are good, but for me they need to show a bit more financial muscle as less committed fans than most on here will lose a bit of interest.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
So, what is your point?
They will fund a signing of a striker but they don’t recruit players themselves, directly. Everyone wants a goalscorer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2022, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker

That all sounds fantastic and I think that is partly what excited us when they took over. I for one thought hey up, two very intelligent and wealthy and successful businessman sounds perfect, especially as they seemed, as you say to have access to money raising and investment opportunities Fenty could only dream about.

That business acumen also raises expectations though, doesn’t it? All that financial expertise but we still seem to have a mid range playing budget, and even getting an established league 2 striker seems a struggle. This is in addition to being one of the best supported teams in the league with income way above what was expected.

You can be as sustainable as you like, and like everyone else I hope GTFC become a beacon for the community but football is about excitement and knowing you can compete with the better clubs.

People in football know because of our gates and the history of the owners we are not short of money so it is not a question of trying to fool agents and players about our finances.

1878 are good, but for me they need to show a bit more financial muscle as less committed fans than most on here will lose a bit of interest.

Great post.

The new training ground was in the offing at least this time last year if not earlier. I’ve got no idea how much the financial benefit of promotion and the increased season ticket revenue put into the club but there must be a surplus on the budget unless it was all spent on the turd polishing of BP.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
How is it a great post? It doesn’t say anything.
Acquiring land for new training facilities takes time and finding a goalscorer is also difficult. They will fund both.
I don’t get what the usual suspects are beefing about??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 259
lew chaterleys lover
December 6, 2022, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
So, what is your point?
They will fund a signing of a striker but they don’t recruit players themselves, directly. Everyone wants a goalscorer.

You have developed a habit of not seeing the point when any poster says something you don't agree with.

I see your point - you don't want to see any criticism of the owners because you think they will fund the training ground and striker accusitions when they are ready. My point is that a lot of fans, and I hear this regularly at games, is that they thought we would have seen and heard more about using their financial clout in regards to players, and news about other things that need investment such as increasing the ground capacity and / or new stadium etc. We have read thousands of words in the Guardian saying the same sort of thing, which is great but there are limits to what the generic ambition will produce.

Some fans are more impatient than others but momentum is important, even allowing for last season's fairytale ending.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2022, 4:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
How is it a great post? It doesn’t say anything.
Acquiring land for new training facilities takes time and finding a goalscorer is also difficult. They will fund both.
I don’t get what the usual suspects are beefing about??

In my opinion, it makes several very good points. I reflect on various things the chairman said in interviews last year and I remember some of the things he said.

Interesting that you use phrases like ‘usual suspects’. I think you misunderstand. Most of what 1878 do is great, that doesn’t mean they’re perfect and unquestionable, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 259
DB
December 6, 2022, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Great post.

The new training ground was in the offing at least this time last year if not earlier. I’ve got no idea how much the financial benefit of promotion and the increased season ticket revenue put into the club but there must be a surplus on the budget unless it was all spent on the turd polishing of BP.

I'm as frustrated as most about the lack of a new training ground. The last I heard was JS or AP saying that they had hit a problem with the landowner. They didn't say what the problem was or if they had a plan 'B' for a different location.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 259
ska face
December 6, 2022, 5:19pm

Vodka Drinker
I’ve just got no idea which reality some people inhabit, or which plane of existence some people operate in. Try and have a discussion specifically about funding the training ground and suddenly they’re getting grief because Hurst hasn’t signed a striker.

Because Stockwood & Pettit have very specific expertise in a few niche areas of, say, real estate investment and private equity funding for tech firms and start-ups, suddenly this equates to some kind of generalised “business acumen” that should’ve arrested a 20-year footballing decline and general malaise, and immediately put us on a footing with teams who have been playing in L1 in the last few years rather than circling the L2 drain and dropping out the league altogether.

I think Stockwood says it in almost every interview - the footballing side is left to Hurst, which is pretty fair, you wouldn’t want the owners interfering in that side of it. He’s spent money on Hunt & Green and been told there’s still money there if he needs it, but somehow the board cop for it when nobody meets the manager’s standards, or (like Smith or Kayode in the summer) end up with offers in L1.  They’ve even sold Mcatee but managed to keep hold of him for a year, but getting grief because he’s injured.

The usual suspects on here have collectively shat themselves in apoplectic rage at the temerity of Stockwood for merely hinting that some people may benefit from engaging with reality, so you have to ask - what do people realistically expect them to have done in the last 18 months in terms of moving grounds, increasing capacity at BP or sorting a new training ground? Serious question, what do people think should have been achieved by this point?
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker

You have developed a habit of not seeing the point when any poster says something you don't agree with.

I see your point - you don't want to see any criticism of the owners because you think they will fund the training ground and striker accusitions when they are ready. My point is that a lot of fans, and I hear this regularly at games, is that they thought we would have seen and heard more about using their financial clout in regards to players, and news about other things that need investment such as increasing the ground capacity and / or new stadium etc. We have read thousands of words in the Guardian saying the same sort of thing, which is great but there are limits to what the generic ambition will produce.

Some fans are more impatient than others but momentum is important, even allowing for last season's fairytale ending.

I don’t see the point. What is the point/moan/criticism that hasn’t already been dealt with?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
I’ve just got no idea which reality some people inhabit, or which plane of existence some people operate in. Try and have a discussion specifically about funding the training ground and suddenly they’re getting grief because Hurst hasn’t signed a striker.

Because Stockwood & Pettit have very specific expertise in a few niche areas of, say, real estate investment and private equity funding for tech firms and start-ups, suddenly this equates to some kind of generalised “business acumen” that should’ve arrested a 20-year footballing decline and general malaise, and immediately put us on a footing with teams who have been playing in L1 in the last few years rather than circling the L2 drain and dropping out the league altogether.

I think Stockwood says it in almost every interview - the footballing side is left to Hurst, which is pretty fair, you wouldn’t want the owners interfering in that side of it. He’s spent money on Hunt & Green and been told there’s still money there if he needs it, but somehow the board cop for it when nobody meets the manager’s standards, or (like Smith or Kayode in the summer) end up with offers in L1.  They’ve even sold Mcatee but managed to keep hold of him for a year, but getting grief because he’s injured.

The usual suspects on here have collectively shat themselves in apoplectic rage at the temerity of Stockwood for merely hinting that some people may benefit from engaging with reality, so you have to ask - what do people realistically expect them to have done in the last 18 months in terms of moving grounds, increasing capacity at BP or sorting a new training ground? Serious question, what do people think should have been achieved by this point?

Exactly that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 259
DB
December 6, 2022, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Star man for me

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 259
ska face
December 6, 2022, 5:31pm

Vodka Drinker
I think the football’s been dog, in the main, this year. But that’s probably because the manager sets up too defensively and hasn’t been able to play a single minute with his 2 first choice strikers due to injuries. I wouldn’t put it down to the board, as some are keen to.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 259
DB
December 6, 2022, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
I think the football’s been dog, in the main, this year. But that’s probably because the manager sets up too defensively and hasn’t been able to play a single minute with his 2 first choice strikers due to injuries. I wouldn’t put it down to the board, as some are keen to.

I can't give 2 gold stars in a day, but you sum up the situation perfectly, suddenly we're on the same wavelength.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2022, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

On this, I completely agree. Sadly, the back up strikers are not up to scratch.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well, I actually think we’ve been good. Sure, we might be short of a player or two, including a top striker but so is everybody else, barring one or two. Some people have failed to grasp this point - this is a really competitive league. The standard is a big uplift from last year. Even if teams look average, the differentials are tiny. Every game requires a monumental physical effort. Be under no illusion. The margins are tiny. The moments are pivotal. You can smash Plymouth 5-1, and lose to Hartlepool 2-1. In a week.

We have fantastic owners, brilliant management and staff and a superb squad of absolute triers, athletes and warriors. You can always improve - sure, and we must, but I am really thankful for what we’ve got. I’ve seen years of tripe, of sub par players, transient, mediocre management, under investment, poor culture and ethos, just dross, stuck in non-league with no momentum, vision or ambition. We now have all of those things.

Onwards….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 259
jamesgtfc
December 6, 2022, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
It's a bit old school making the manager take responsibility for how the playing budget is spent but it's how it should be in my opinion. Providing the money is there (and Hurst hasn't grumbled about it not being) then no complaints with 1878 on that front from me.

Training ground: these things take time and the economic climate probably isn't helping matters.

Stadium: it's a bit worrying that the board aren't acknowledging we need a bigger capacity because some seats with an incredibly restricted view remain empty on a Saturday afternoon.

EFL Trophy: Jason's view on this is a bit out of touch with the fan base on this one.

Overall I think they are good, there are certainly things they could do better but you can't do everything at once. I feel confident that whoever the investors are that we eventually attract won't have been convicted of mortgage fraud.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 259
Son of Cod
December 6, 2022, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face

Now that's a great post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 7:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yup, it is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 259
aldi_01
December 6, 2022, 8:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It's a bit old school making the manager take responsibility for how the playing budget is spent but it's how it should be in my opinion. Providing the money is there (and Hurst hasn't grumbled about it not being) then no complaints with 1878 on that front from me.

Training ground: these things take time and the economic climate probably isn't helping matters.

Stadium: it's a bit worrying that the board aren't acknowledging we need a bigger capacity because some seats with an incredibly restricted view remain empty on a Saturday afternoon.

EFL Trophy: Jason's view on this is a bit out of touch with the fan base on this one.

Overall I think they are good, there are certainly things they could do better but you can't do everything at once. I feel confident that whoever the investors are that we eventually attract won't have been convicted of mortgage fraud.

You mention training ground and then stadium but give differing reasons as to why neither have come to fruition when I’d argue the simple factor is economics.

We talk about this need for a new stadium but since about September I don’t think we’ve been turning folk away or seeing folk not get a decent sit, albeit in a different stand perhaps.

Developing a stadium isn’t simply down to increasing capacity amd to be honest, given the current economic climate and the likes I think it’s sensible to not Spaff cash on it just yet. Look at the thousands we spent previously and it never got further than the back of a homosexual packet.

The training ground will come as you say but again, it needs to be the right spot and have the key facilities. Lincoln would argue it was the best business they did in recent times.

Things take time but as I said, in answer to the question, yes, yes they are any good…end of discussion really.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 259
HertsGTFC
December 6, 2022, 8:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Top post Ska!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 259
jamesgtfc
December 6, 2022, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

You mention training ground and then stadium but give differing reasons as to why neither have come to fruition when I’d argue the simple factor is economics.

We talk about this need for a new stadium but since about September I don’t think we’ve been turning folk away or seeing folk not get a decent sit, albeit in a different stand perhaps.

Developing a stadium isn’t simply down to increasing capacity amd to be honest, given the current economic climate and the likes I think it’s sensible to not Spaff cash on it just yet. Look at the thousands we spent previously and it never got further than the back of a homosexual packet.

The training ground will come as you say but again, it needs to be the right spot and have the key facilities. Lincoln would argue it was the best business they did in recent times.

Things take time but as I said, in answer to the question, yes, yes they are any good…end of discussion really.

On the training ground, they've acknowledged it's a problem and are working on a new one; it's just taking longer than some people hoped for it to progress.

On the ground, Jason keeps saying we aren't selling out when you can't buy tickets together meaning I have minimal chance of taking my kids.

The economic situation would undoubtedly hamper ground development but I'd like them to at least admit we need to find a way of accommodating more fans. I'm not expecting to load This is Grimsby and see Jason and Andrew stood on Freeman Street with a spade, we've had similar and got nowhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 259
gtfc_chris
December 7, 2022, 1:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Simon

I've seen a few of the 'on the pitch' arguments. Pre-November I don't believe that was as valid an argument, we were doing rather well but this recent run of league results has changed that picture a little bit. I don't think there's a fan out there who wouldn't love us to be playing Man City style football week in and bossing the league, but realism has to come into it somewhere when the bigger picture is considered.

Few predicted we'd come back up first time of asking and we did so the hard way, which suggests to me we did it through grit, guts and determination - the hallmarks of a PH squad - rather than style and unrivalled quality in the league. We've improved the squad over the summer and in a lot of games our performance hasn't been poor, just that final product and is not really a discussion that needs to be had in terms of what we hope to see in January.

My point though is whether it's better to have the playing side in advance of the 'behind the scenes' or the other way around. I'm sure people will have a multitude of views but for me, if you were running a marathon and sprinted the first mile how will you cope with the final 25? Might seem a daft analogy and probably is really but we've seen clubs like Burton, Plymouth, Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Doncaster, Colchester hit the Championship and then come crashing back down to L2 and below in relatively swift fashion. I accept the size of the Clubs doesn't lend itself to a sustained period at that level, but does the 'behind the scenes' impact on the inability to maintain consistency at the high end of L1?

Do we have the training facilities that afford the manager the ability to conduct his job in every way he deems necessary. Do we have the medical facility and knowledge to keep players fitter for longer with quicker recovery times? Do we have the scouting networks/systems to keep identifying players that provide quality? Do we have the analysis that enables the management team to spot trends in players to catch injury/fatigue early and make decisions to gain micro-advantages? Do we have administrative staff that can generate the commercial activity to keep us constantly improving our reach and investment desirability?

If we had a meteoric rise and these things aren't in place then eventually the star would burn out and the fall can be just as dramatic as the rise when things start going wrong as we ourselves know. There is a balance to be met, we do need a team that fans will continue to get behind and make visiting BP worthwhile but I genuinely think we need to be patient and try to build success on and off the pitch at a similar rate rather than chasing shortcuts that risk being short-lived.

My worry is that those who keep citing the perceived lack of improvement on the pitch are the ones who will begin the wave of negativity that historically always engulfs and takes hold of us, losing sight of the fact we have owners who want to be successful but know their financial limits, know the need to have everything in balance and ultimately know it will take time.

For me, I think the last 6 games have only proven that this is a tough league and that it isn't going to be easy. I predicted us to just in or around the play-offs and I'm wondering if I've been too ambitious but we bounced back after an awful run last season so I refuse to rule anything out with us. What I do believe is that any success we have won't be short lived under 1878, whenever that might happen. Hopefully we keep those gates high and help get all the ducks in a row to help moving us forward on and off the pitch over the next 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2022, 8:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I've seen a few of the 'on the pitch' arguments. Pre-November I don't believe that was as valid an argument, we were doing rather well but this recent run of league results has changed that picture a little bit. I don't think there's a fan out there who wouldn't love us to be playing Man City style football week in and bossing the league, but realism has to come into it somewhere when the bigger picture is considered.

Few predicted we'd come back up first time of asking and we did so the hard way, which suggests to me we did it through grit, guts and determination - the hallmarks of a PH squad - rather than style and unrivalled quality in the league. We've improved the squad over the summer and in a lot of games our performance hasn't been poor, just that final product and is not really a discussion that needs to be had in terms of what we hope to see in January.

My point though is whether it's better to have the playing side in advance of the 'behind the scenes' or the other way around. I'm sure people will have a multitude of views but for me, if you were running a marathon and sprinted the first mile how will you cope with the final 25? Might seem a daft analogy and probably is really but we've seen clubs like Burton, Plymouth, Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Doncaster, Colchester hit the Championship and then come crashing back down to L2 and below in relatively swift fashion. I accept the size of the Clubs doesn't lend itself to a sustained period at that level, but does the 'behind the scenes' impact on the inability to maintain consistency at the high end of L1?

Do we have the training facilities that afford the manager the ability to conduct his job in every way he deems necessary. Do we have the medical facility and knowledge to keep players fitter for longer with quicker recovery times? Do we have the scouting networks/systems to keep identifying players that provide quality? Do we have the analysis that enables the management team to spot trends in players to catch injury/fatigue early and make decisions to gain micro-advantages? Do we have administrative staff that can generate the commercial activity to keep us constantly improving our reach and investment desirability?

If we had a meteoric rise and these things aren't in place then eventually the star would burn out and the fall can be just as dramatic as the rise when things start going wrong as we ourselves know. There is a balance to be met, we do need a team that fans will continue to get behind and make visiting BP worthwhile but I genuinely think we need to be patient and try to build success on and off the pitch at a similar rate rather than chasing shortcuts that risk being short-lived.

My worry is that those who keep citing the perceived lack of improvement on the pitch are the ones who will begin the wave of negativity that historically always engulfs and takes hold of us, losing sight of the fact we have owners who want to be successful but know their financial limits, know the need to have everything in balance and ultimately know it will take time.

For me, I think the last 6 games have only proven that this is a tough league and that it isn't going to be easy. I predicted us to just in or around the play-offs and I'm wondering if I've been too ambitious but we bounced back after an awful run last season so I refuse to rule anything out with us. What I do believe is that any success we have won't be short lived under 1878, whenever that might happen. Hopefully we keep those gates high and help get all the ducks in a row to help moving us forward on and off the pitch over the next 5 years.

I don’t disagree with a lot of that but people look at stats like one home league win all season, no league win since mid October etc.

Regards the squad, I beg to differ. Our striking options are fewer and weaker and we are massively missing Ben Fox. We were by no means a one man team last season but I very much doubt we would have got to League Two without him.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 259
White_shorts
January 4, 2023, 4:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from jamesgtfc

On the training ground, they've acknowledged it's a problem and are working on a new one; it's just taking longer than some people hoped for it to progress.

On the ground, Jason keeps saying we aren't selling out when you can't buy tickets together meaning I have minimal chance of taking my kids.

The economic situation would undoubtedly hamper ground development but I'd like them to at least admit we need to find a way of accommodating more fans. I'm not expecting to load This is Grimsby and see Jason and Andrew stood on Freeman Street with a spade, we've had similar and got nowhere.

I thought it was an open secret they were interested in Barretts Rec for a training ground.  Don't the council own that?

Stockwood and Pettit were not living in a cave prior to taking over.  They must know BP is an embarrassment compared to modern post-Taylor stadia.  They should realise there are not likely to be sell-outs for every home game because the facilities are so poor.

Have they spoken to the Freemen and LHP?  If a Freemo stadium is just a dream with no funding, then Grimsby West is an obvious enabling development.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 259
aldi_01
January 4, 2023, 4:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

I thought it was an open secret they were interested in Barretts Rec for a training ground.  Don't the council own that?

Stockwood and Pettit were not living in a cave prior to taking over.  They must know BP is an embarrassment compared to modern post-Taylor stadia.  They should realise there are not likely to be sell-outs for every home game because the facilities are so poor.

Have they spoken to the Freemen and LHP?  If a Freemo stadium is just a dream with no funding, then Grimsby West is an obvious enabling development.

Not a justification but BP is no more an embarrassment than pretty much 50% of grounds across the 4/5 main divisions…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 259
ginnywings
January 4, 2023, 5:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from White_shorts

My understanding is that it won't be Barratts, so not really the open secret you say it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 259
DB
January 4, 2023, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
1878 Has stated that they want the new training ground to be in Grimsby, which has certainly limited their choices. Barretts appears to be the unconfirmed location but we were told some weeks ago that there is a problem with the owners of the preferred choice location. If it is Barretts then NELC is the owner as far as I know, so what is the problem?

There has been no plans submitted so it's not the design, nor access or the neighbours. The land has/is used for sports use so it's not a change of use. 1878 presumably want to own the land so I wondered if their is a covenant in the deeds that states the land cannot be sold to private ownership?

Whilst I can fully understand why 1878 do want openly discuss this I sincerely hope they have plan B.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 259
ginnywings
January 4, 2023, 6:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Stop assuming it's Barratts would answer some of your questions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 259
DB
January 4, 2023, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Stop assuming it's Barratts would answer some of your questions.

I believe the assumption of Barratts came from a RH interview , Matt Dean I think, with 1878 ( can't remember which one) and Barretts was suggested. It was not denied as the location, which led to more speculation that it is the preferred site.

As you mentioned you didn't believe it was Barratts, where do you believe it might be?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 259
Meza
January 4, 2023, 6:46pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
What about Hardys Rec although I wouldn’t propose it as the road is awful due to lorries.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 259
TAGG
January 4, 2023, 6:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Are 1878 Any Good

We still have a League Club.
Would we still have a club under the last bloke- imo no.

The plan seems to be steady away and that will do for me so yes 1878 is good for GTFC, the Town and its fans.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 259
grimsby pete
January 4, 2023, 7:11pm

Exile
Jason and Andrew are not multi millionaires with money to burn nor are they miracle workers.

However I am very pleased we have got them we could not do any better .

They are here for the next 15 to 20 years so that will do me as I will not .

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 259
ginnywings
January 4, 2023, 7:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from DB

I believe the assumption of Barratts came from a RH interview , Matt Dean I think, with 1878 ( can't remember which one) and Barretts was suggested. It was not denied as the location, which led to more speculation that it is the preferred site.

As you mentioned you didn't believe it was Barratts, where do you believe it might be?

Barratts was one of a few sites that were considered. Jason and Andrew never gave any hint where they were looking at seriously, so people speculated as they tend to do.

I learned when working at the ground that one site was favoured and plans were being drawn up. I thought there would have been some news by now, but clearly there have been some setbacks, so I don't know what has happened. I wont name the site I heard but it wasn't Barratts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 259
HertsGTFC
January 4, 2023, 7:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
In answer to the question? Yes!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 259
Simon
January 5, 2023, 8:03am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Barratts was one of a few sites that were considered. Jason and Andrew never gave any hint where they were looking at seriously, so people speculated as they tend to do.

I learned when working at the ground that one site was favoured and plans were being drawn up. I thought there would have been some news by now, but clearly there have been some setbacks, so I don't know what has happened. I wont name the site I heard but it wasn't Barratts.

Bradley?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 259
denni266
January 5, 2023, 9:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
From what  i remember being told going back 30 yrs or so  was that Barrats was sort of donated to the council on the grounds that it was only for public sports use and not to be sold / let off for a profit to the council
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 259
GyMariner
January 5, 2023, 9:59am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
The site chosen is pretty much a goer, it’s not Barrett’s.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 259
DB
January 5, 2023, 11:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner

So we come back to the obvious question. Where is it going to be?, in your opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 259
barrattstandman
January 5, 2023, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 17
Clee fields   ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 259
forza ivano
January 6, 2023, 3:35pm

Exile
Quoted from GyMariner

do tell us more.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 259
HerveJosse
January 10, 2023, 5:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Not at filing accounts on time. First accounts now overdue at Companies House.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 259
HertsGTFC
January 10, 2023, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Who’s going to alert the United Nations

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 259
aldi_01
January 11, 2023, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

excrement, call the feds…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 259
MuddyWaters
January 11, 2023, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

They may well be filed. It can take Companies House up to 10 days to upload them.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 259
Theimperialcoroner
January 11, 2023, 8:02am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Isn’t a certain someone in a spot of bother with HMRC or have I got this wrong?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 259
UTMariners
January 11, 2023, 1:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Going back to the original question.  For me it's a firm yes.  Promotion followed by 4th Round of FA cup which hasn't happened for over 20 years, I'm not sure how anyone can argue otherwise.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 259
MarinerDevil
January 11, 2023, 3:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from HerveJosse

Not sure where you're getting that info from. Accounts are due 28th Feb according to Companies House >> https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00034760

The owners changed the filing date to February when they arrived. Last year's were filed on 22nd Feb 2022.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 259
forza ivano
January 11, 2023, 3:43pm

Exile
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Not sure where you're getting that info from. Accounts are due 28th Feb according to Companies House >> https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00034760

The owners changed the filing date to February when they arrived. Last year's were filed on 22nd Feb 2022.

ffs Mariner Devil - you and your bloody facts getting in the way of a moan!

Back to the drawing board HerveTosser
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 259
chaos33
January 11, 2023, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Boring, repetitive, factually incorrect, moaning, embittered loon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 259
MuddyWaters
January 11, 2023, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Think he was referring to 1878 Partners not GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 259
MarinerDevil
January 11, 2023, 6:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Think he was referring to 1878 Partners not GTFC.

If that is the case then I stand corrected. Although I think, as another poster has said, that it can take a few days for a document to appear on CH after it has been filed. I'm sure Herve will inform us if it doesn't though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 259
MuddyWaters
January 11, 2023, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

If that is the case then I stand corrected. Although I think, as another poster has said, that it can take a few days for a document to appear on CH after it has been filed. I'm sure Herve will inform us if it doesn't though!

I’m sure you’re right.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 259
January 11, 2023, 6:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Realistically they won’t be in a position to file the 1878 accounts until the GTFC accounts are finalised.

As per the earlier posts, the GTFC accounts aren’t due until the end of Feb.

Fück me. I’ve bored myself there. I’m off to the transfer thread to make up some spurious rumours about Michael Coulson returning from Scarborough (completely fabricated but 11 in 23 in NLN - if we don’t buy him, Fylde will. He’s also 34). Join me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 259
sam gy
January 11, 2023, 8:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
It took them 1 season to get out of the conference, it took our last owner seven. And a couple of them we didn’t even finish in the playoffs.

In their second season they’ve got us into the 4th round of the fa cup. Our last owner NEVER managed that for the whole of his stewardship.

I’d say they’re doing an alright job so far.

Football fortune eh? Gotta love it.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 259
ginnywings
January 12, 2023, 10:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
In 50 years following Town, I've never had a yearning to see the accounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 259
Manchester Mariner
January 12, 2023, 11:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

Me either. Similarly never had any motivation to demand answers why various back office staff are no longer employed by the club.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 259
HerveJosse
January 12, 2023, 12:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Well that’s a shame because if more had taken an interest in these during the Fenty years they would have seen earlier how the club was being ground be in to the ground by slow death long before the relegation back to non league and the Alex May incident
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 259
ginnywings
January 12, 2023, 1:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HerveJosse

Well that’s a shame because if more had taken an interest in these during the Fenty years they would have seen earlier how the club was being ground be in to the ground by slow death long before the relegation back to non league and the Alex May incident

There was nothing to see.

Whatever your thoughts on JF, he always seemed to balance the books. There is the guy who is involved with codalmighty who went on to explain how JF had prised the club away from the other directors, but I doubt 99.9% of fans would have spotted it. I know I wouldn't have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 259
Manchester Mariner
January 12, 2023, 1:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from HerveJosse

Which was literally for all to see played out before our very eyes, with the club visibly on the decline. The recent questions about whereabouts of annual financial reports and back room staff changes under new owners, during which the club achieved promotion and brought about renewed optimism has a bit of a whiff of people looking for conspiracy theory's.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 259
HerveJosse
January 12, 2023, 1:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

There was nothing to see.

Whatever your thoughts on JF, he always seemed to balance the books. There is the guy who is involved with codalmighty who went on to explain how JF had prised the club away from the other directors, but I doubt 99.9% of fans would have spotted it. I know I wouldn't have.

There was plenty to see .Substantial pension contributions to JF for example. People only want to hear what they want to hear at the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 259
Northbank Mariner
January 12, 2023, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
The way people are going about the accounts not being in on time you'd think we're run by idiots not 2 very successful business men!..have a day off FFS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 259
HertsGTFC
January 12, 2023, 2:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
The way people are going about the accounts not being in on time you'd think we're run by idiots not 2 very successful business men!..have a day off FFS.

What Northbank says....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 259
White_shorts
January 17, 2023, 5:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Not a justification but BP is no more an embarrassment than pretty much 50% of grounds across the 4/5 main divisions…

Is there another Football League stand that has more roof supports than the Main?

I would just like Stockwood and Pettit to say if they are interested in the stadium-sized plot of land near Freeman Street.  They surely don't believe the club can have a long-term future at Blundell Park.

I think the last new stadium poll we had was in 2018.  Freemo was by far the most popular with 77%:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1536391691/s-0/vr-1/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 259
jamesgtfc
January 17, 2023, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

Is there another Football League stand that has more roof supports than the Main?

I would just like Stockwood and Pettit to say if they are interested in the stadium-sized plot of land near Freeman Street.  They surely don't believe the club can have a long-term future at Blundell Park.

I think the last new stadium poll we had was in 2018.  Freemo was by far the most popular with 77%:

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1536391691/s-0/vr-1/

Will you be at the fans forum in February?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 259
White_shorts
January 25, 2023, 5:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I strongly disagree that 50% of the grounds across the top 5 divisions are an embarrassment.

Luton's ground is obviously very poor for the Championship.  There's maybe five or six clubs in League One with poor stadia for that level.  It is unfair to suggest that traditionally non-league teams like Boreham Wood and Dorking have embarrassing grounds.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 259
White_shorts
January 25, 2023, 5:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
My understanding is that it won't be Barratts, so not really the open secret you say it is.

Whenever the new training ground was discussed, Barretts Rec was always mentioned.  That's why I used the words "open secret".

If their first choice location isn't happening, perhaps Jason and Andrew can now tell us where it was.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 259
coddy60
January 25, 2023, 6:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Quoted from White_shorts

Whenever the new training ground was discussed, Barretts Rec was always mentioned.  That's why I used the words "open secret".

If their first choice location isn't happening, perhaps Jason and Andrew can now tell us where it was.

And what would be the point of that, other than pure nosiness?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 259
ginnywings
January 25, 2023, 6:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from White_shorts

How do you know it was their first choice? How do you know it was ever a choice at all?

They have never let on where they were looking at to my knowledge, and that is how it should be, so they are hardly going to let on now where it's going to be.

From memory, Barratts was mentioned by others, not them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 259
GyMariner
January 25, 2023, 6:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
It's not Barretts, it's somewhere closer to home

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 259
jamesgtfc
January 25, 2023, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner

Sussex Rec?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 259
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2023, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner

The beach when the tides out?
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 259
wiggers
January 25, 2023, 6:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +475
Gold Stars: 11
What is it with the wall of silence about anything the club doing? It’s about time the owners and manager started to interact with the fan base a bit more. It’s supposed to be a community club…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 259
ginnywings
January 25, 2023, 6:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from wiggers
What is it with the wall of silence about anything the club doing? It’s about time the owners and manager started to interact with the fan base a bit more. It’s supposed to be a community club…..

They are not going to announce something until the contracts are signed I would think, and it is to be a community space, not just for the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 259
HerveJosse
January 25, 2023, 7:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Sussex Rec?

Unlikely . Covenants included when gifted by Sidney Sussex College make this unlikely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 259
Northbank Mariner
January 25, 2023, 7:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Unlikely . Covenants included when gifted by Sidney Sussex College make this unlikely.

Could it be Sydney Park?...ponds a shite hole, fill it in, place could do with a tidy up, ready made carpark, heart of the community and keeps all things Grimsby town in Cleethorpes!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 259
IlkleyMariner
January 25, 2023, 7:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Think so
Hope so
Jury is out…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 259
jamesgtfc
January 25, 2023, 8:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

As someone up to speed with local covenants, what large spaces are possible?

Taylors Ave?
I would assume Haverstoe Park is protected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 259
chaos33
January 25, 2023, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wiggers

Jesus wept. Have you got a busy life? Kids, job? Health or money worries? What do you want to hear FFS?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 259
wiggers
January 25, 2023, 9:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Jesus wept. Have you got a busy life? Kids, job? Health or money worries? What do you want to hear FFS?

Have you actually got any other come backs? It’s always the same pish from you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 259
friskneymariner
January 25, 2023, 9:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from chaos33

Jesus wept. Have you got a busy life? Kids, job? Health or mmoney worries? What do you want to hear FFS?

What is it,that has made you so bitter and twisted,this is a forum,people are entitled to express an opinion that is at variance with you without having to suffer this bile.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 259
LocalLadGTFC
January 25, 2023, 10:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 140
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Taylors Ave?

Taylor’s Avenue is owned by Lindsey School isn’t it? At least one side is for sure.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 119 - 259
HerveJosse
January 27, 2023, 10:14am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Taylors Ave?

Anything that’s a public park / open space is unlikely most were gifted to town with covenants. Was never going to be easy to find a site that was in town as the owners said it would  be . Best bet is probably a redundant school field. Further issue is that anything in town without restrictions has alternative value as housing development so top dollar including redundant school fields  I thought they were setting themselves a problem when they outlined what they wanted the training ground to be it remains to be seen what they come up.The time it is taking also suggests not easy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 259
GollyGTFC
January 27, 2023, 9:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from HerveJosse

Company accounts have to be submitted within 9 months of the end of the accounting period for which they are based. As our next accounts will be from June 1st 2021 to May 31st 2022 the cut off date for submission is February 28th 203. I appreciate the old regime used to submit the accounts around October/November, but that was just choice. It makes total sense to not submit the accounts until after the transfer window shuts. Why give agents and players more up to date details of our financial situation? If the accounts look good they will think they can get more money out of the club.

One thing I am genuinely interested in finding out is how the money that 1878 say they have put into the club will show up on the accounts. I seem to remember them saying they had put around £1m in last season on top of the £1.5m or so shares they purchased from Fenty, Mike Parker, the lottery winner, the ticket tout and various other smaller shareholders.

The latest confirmation statement shows there were no shares issued during the 2021/22 season. So I assume the accounts will show the £1m or so "investment" from 1878 is in the form of a loan- which I am sure is 100% benign.

We'll see in the last week of February I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 121 - 259
jamesgtfc
January 27, 2023, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Company accounts have to be submitted within 9 months of the end of the accounting period for which they are based. As our next accounts will be from June 1st 2021 to May 31st 2022 the cut off date for submission is February 28th 203. I appreciate the old regime used to submit the accounts around October/November, but that was just choice. It makes total sense to not submit the accounts until after the transfer window shuts. Why give agents and players more up to date details of our financial situation? If the accounts look good they will think they can get more money out of the club.

One thing I am genuinely interested in finding out is how the money that 1878 say they have put into the club will show up on the accounts. I seem to remember them saying they had put around £1m in last season on top of the £1.5m or so shares they purchased from Fenty, Mike Parker, the lottery winner, the ticket tout and various other smaller shareholders.

The latest confirmation statement shows there were no shares issued during the 2021/22 season. So I assume the accounts will show the £1m or so "investment" from 1878 is in the form of a loan- which I am sure is 100% benign.

We'll see in the last week of February I suppose.

Herve is talking about the accounts for 1878 Partners Ltd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 259
GollyGTFC
January 27, 2023, 9:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm sure Jason & Andrew can afford in the £150 penalty for submitting their first account late if companies house is indeed correct and up to date.

It will be interesting to see the accounts. I imagine they will appear more or less simultaneously with the club's accounts and Jason & Andrew would rather pay £150 for submitting 1878's accounts 25 days late and once the transfer window has shut than have even the small amount of information relevant to the club contained within the accounts being in the public domain.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 123 - 259
chaos33
January 28, 2023, 8:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wiggers

There isn’t a ‘wall of silence’.

There are: recent interviews with PH and JS, a Twitter account, a website, radio coverage , a fans forum, a YouTube channel, a session at a local school with the management team…etc

What are you not hearing about that you feel you should be?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 259
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 28, 2023, 8:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Quoted from jamesgtfc

i got a letter from HMRC yesterday to say my accounts were outstanding.

i was well chuffed as i couldn't even remember doing them

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 259
GollyGTFC
January 28, 2023, 8:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

i got a letter from HMRC yesterday to say my accounts were outstanding.

i was well chuffed as i couldn't even remember doing them

Qualiteeeee joke.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 126 - 259
sam gy
January 28, 2023, 8:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from chaos33

There isn’t a ‘wall of silence’.

There are: recent interviews with PH and JS, a Twitter account, a website, radio coverage , a fans forum, a YouTube channel, a session at a local school with the management team…etc

What are you not hearing about that you feel you should be?

Yep, this notion that the club aren’t communicating with fans is frankly laughable. There’s never been more GTFC content to consume.

Stockwood is on Humberside all the time. Fenty wouldn’t even speak to them.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 259
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2023, 10:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Moaning about accounts not being filed, lack of communication etc..etc… just feels like some posters would take delight if 1878 fail at something.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 259
wiggers
January 28, 2023, 10:25am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Yep, this notion that the club aren’t communicating with fans is frankly laughable. There’s never been more GTFC content to consume.

Stockwood is on Humberside all the time. Fenty wouldn’t even speak to them.

They might be talking, but they are telling us nothing. First team squad, training ground and BP plans, what have they actually said about those?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 259
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2023, 10:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wiggers

They might be talking, but they are telling us nothing. First team squad, training ground and BP plans, what have they actually said about those?

Would you like them to make it up?

Squad - trying hard & missing out on targets.
Training ground - bit of a set back but WIP and will require some funding support.
BP - Will move when required and we can fund it in a way that is not detrimental to the club

Maybe you’d prefer them to talk about deconstruction of flags?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 259
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
January 28, 2023, 10:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
What did the Romans ever do for us?

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 259
jamesgtfc
January 28, 2023, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from wiggers

Remind me again where those Conoco hats and spades in the ground at Great Coates and Peaks Parkway got us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 259
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2023, 9:26am

Whiskey Drinker
To use OFSTED terminology I think we’ve gone from a solid GOOD to REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT in the space of a month.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 133 - 259
marinerjase
February 1, 2023, 9:54am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Think you’re mistaking the owners for the ‘supporters’ on social media tbh..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 259
friskneymariner
February 1, 2023, 10:11am

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GollyGTFC
To use OFSTED terminology I think we’ve gone from a solid GOOD to REQUIRES IMPROVEMENT in the space of a month.

I would say inadequate.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 259
Jarmo.Is.God
February 1, 2023, 10:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I think its more of PH not being ruthless enough, rather than the owners not wanting to spend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2023, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
1878 is Jason and Andrew. Are they good enough? I'm sure they are, they are successful people in their own right. Jason especially is self-made but I'm not sure Andrew had everything handed to him on a plate either. I think they are well intentioned but football is like no other business they have been a part of.

They have been ruthless with a few of the old guard who left at the beginning but some of the more recent departures have been concerning and some of that may come to light over the next few days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 259
HerveJosse
February 1, 2023, 10:33am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I think its more of PH not being ruthless enough, rather than the owners not wanting to spend

Any evidence for that statement?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 259
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2023, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
I may be miles off with this but I’m wondering if the complexities of a football club and the culture surrounding GTFC have made this a bigger project than they imagined.

Putting the community back in the club is laudable but, in football, the headlines will be made on the pitch in the first instance.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 259
Quagmire
February 1, 2023, 10:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I sometimes get the impression that Hurst loves the underdog 'role' way too much.

The plucky little club battling against footballing giants such as Barrow and Rochdale, fighting tooth and nail to just keep our heads above water.

He ignores the fact that he's now got the biggest backroom staff the club has ever had, close to 6k season ticket holders, fantastic away support, and owners who will back him.

He strikes me as someone who does just enough each season to keep his job rather than push the club on.

Scraping into the play offs last season, scraping into the play offs in previous NL seasons, fighting against all odds to keep us up in 2021 (and IMO making a pigs ear of it) - just about doing enough to appease his paymasters.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 259
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2023, 11:01am

Whiskey Drinker
I’ve seen a few posts on here and on Twitter talking about living within our means and the club being debt free. Well…

Read this…

[url=https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jason-stockwoods-grimsby-town-promise-7412894.amp]GT- Aug 2022[/url]

Now look at this…

[url=https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00034760/filing-history]click on GTFC Ltd Confirmation Statement 2022[/url]

So if Stockwood and Pettit have put over £1.5m into the club since buying it and the confirmation statement shows zero shares issued in a period when they’ve put £1m+ in…

ARE WE DEBT FREE?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 141 - 259
HerveJosse
February 1, 2023, 11:43am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’ve seen a few posts on here and on Twitter talking about living within our means and the club being debt free. Well…

Read this…

[url=https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jason-stockwoods-grimsby-town-promise-7412894.amp]GT- Aug 2022[/url]

Now look at this…

[url=https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00034760/filing-history]click on GTFC Ltd Confirmation Statement 2022[/url]

So if Stockwood and Pettit have put over £1.5m into the club since buying it and the confirmation statement shows zero shares issued in a period when they’ve put £1m+ in…

ARE WE DEBT FREE?

As I have posted before that spent over £1.4m on shares not £1m and that is what the confirmation statement you have linked shows. In addition to Fentys shares they bought shares from several other shareholders stopping when they got to over 75% the point at which they have no powers. No new shares were issued and no new equity has come into the club. We won’t know what they have injected as debt if anything other then short term working capital funding until the accounts are published and then only up to last May before this years season ticket sales cup run . The accounts for 1878 Partners Ltd would have revealed this but they are now 3 weeks overdue filing .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2023, 1:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Quagmire

I sometimes get the impression that Hurst loves the underdog 'role' way too much.

The plucky little club battling against footballing giants such as Barrow and Rochdale, fighting tooth and nail to just keep our heads above water.

He ignores the fact that he's now got the biggest backroom staff the club has ever had, close to 6k season ticket holders, fantastic away support, and owners who will back him.

He strikes me as someone who does just enough each season to keep his job rather than push the club on.

Scraping into the play offs last season, scraping into the play offs in previous NL seasons, fighting against all odds to keep us up in 2021 (and IMO making a pigs ear of it) - just about doing enough to appease his paymasters.

What a stupid post, the question was "Are 1878 Any Good?"

Bit in bold, we got into the play off's and won them, all of these games went into extra time and where away from home. Worth noting that was at the first attempt this time after relegation and in a league with only 2 promotion spots where the winners spent a huge amount of money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 259
arryarryarry
February 1, 2023, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from HerveJosse

As I have posted before that spent over £1.4m on shares not £1m and that is what the confirmation statement you have linked shows. In addition to Fentys shares they bought shares from several other shareholders stopping when they got to over 75% the point at which they have no powers. No new shares were issued and no new equity has come into the club. We won’t know what they have injected as debt if anything other then short term working capital funding until the accounts are published and then only up to last May before this years season ticket sales cup run . The accounts for 1878 Partners Ltd would have revealed this but they are now 3 weeks overdue filing .

If I remember correctly I am sure in one of their earliest interviews, if they came to sell the club on they would look to get their investment back.

No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 259
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2023, 1:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Sorry my figures are correct. They bought lost over £1.5m in shares in May 2021. They previously stated they had put in around £1.1m over that amount last season. And then they said they had put a further £0.5m in during preseason.

So they’ve spent £1.5m on shares and “invested”/loaned the club £1.6m.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 145 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2023, 1:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry my figures are correct. They bought lost over £1.5m in shares in May 2021. They previously stated they had put in around £1.1m over that amount last season. And then they said they had put a further £0.5m in during preseason.

Of their own money?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 259
HerveJosse
February 1, 2023, 1:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

When they say invested in the club they including buying shares from other shareholders in the same way you would say you have invested in Shell if you bought Shell shares on the stock market . When the accounts come out we will see money they have put in as loans on top of their share purchase but if they have spent £1.4/£1.5m on shared and loaned the club a further £1.5m I will be amazed.. Like most things in life it’s the way you tell them. The chancellor of the exechequer said yesterday if we halve the rate of inflation to 6% this year we will have ‘put money in people’s pockets’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 259
Maringer
February 1, 2023, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yes, but Jeremy Hunt is a cretin. I wouldn't say that Stockwood and Pettit are either as dim, as dishonest, or as innumerate as him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 259
ska face
February 1, 2023, 2:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Why the assumption that any money put in has been done so in the form of a loan? Think they’ve been quite clear that they anticipate making a fairly substantial personal loss and are “committed to that”.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 259
MarinerDevil
February 1, 2023, 2:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Why the assumption that any money put in has been done so in the form of a loan? Think they’ve been quite clear that they anticipate making a fairly substantial personal loss and are “committed to that”.

I think it's because no new shares have been issued since March 2021, prior to the takeover. Any investment since then must have been in the form of loans, at least that's what my limited knowledge of accounting is telling me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 259
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2023, 2:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Of their own money?

That’s not the point. My original message was directed at those on here and on Twitter who think we are debt free and live within ours means. I was simply pointing out that we’re not and we don’t and those who think we are will be shocked when the club issues their accounts at the end of the month. So criticising other clubs who too have owners who bankroll them is ignoring the facts about our own situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 151 - 259
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2023, 2:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Do you think Jason & Andrew have gifted the club £800,000 each since buying it?

My recollection was that 1878 said they would seek to reclaim what they have “invested” via making their shareholding worth more by improving the fortunes of the club.

i.e. they bought around 61% of a L2 club about to be relegated to the National League for a smidge over £1.5m. But how much would 61% of a L1 or even a Championship club be worth?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 152 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2023, 2:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That’s not the point. My original message was directed at those on here and on Twitter who think we are debt free and live within ours means. I was simply pointing out that we’re not and we don’t and those who think we are will be shocked when the club issues their accounts at the end of the month. So criticising other clubs who too have owners who bankroll them is ignoring the facts about our own situation.

Get it! To be honest the flag was more for those who are doubting their commitment than anything you detailed, apologies if it came across that way, happy to delete if need be?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 259
HerveJosse
February 1, 2023, 2:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Because no new shares have been issued so how else can they have put it in.New issues of shares require a return to Companies House within 30 days and non have been filed since 1878 bought the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 259
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2023, 2:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Get it! To be honest the flag was more for those who are doubting their commitment than anything you detailed, apologies if it came across that way, happy to delete if need be?

Defo don’t delete because you asked a fair question some would have been thinking and it allowed me to clarify my point more clearly.

I too don’t doubt their commitment to the club and the area they grew up in before making their way in the world.

What I don’t like is the virtue signalling of some fans who think we’re better than clubs like Colchester when we’re operating in the same way although to a lesser extent and without years and years of that showing in our accounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 155 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2023, 2:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Defo don’t delete because you asked a fair question some would have been thinking and it allowed me to clarify my point more clearly.

I too don’t doubt their commitment to the club and the area they grew up in before making their way in the world.

What I don’t like is the virtue signalling of some fans who think we’re better than clubs like Colchester when we’re operating in the same way although to a lesser extent and without years and years of that showing in our accounts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 259
Hagrid
February 1, 2023, 4:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,519
Gold Stars: 544
Whats Bullygate??
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2023, 4:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Whats Bullygate??

There's been bullying rumours circulating for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 259
Maringer
February 1, 2023, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Lots of nudge nudge, wink wink, is what I've seen from a handful of posters. I have no knowledge of anything going on at the club, but it certainly seems to be the ones who are generally critical of the new owners who are insinuating poor behaviour behind the scenes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 259
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2023, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Or people complaining because their managers on their backs for being incompetent or lazy!..??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 259
pen penfras
February 1, 2023, 5:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Do you think Jason & Andrew have gifted the club £800,000 each since buying it?

My recollection was that 1878 said they would seek to reclaim what they have “invested” via making their shareholding worth more by improving the fortunes of the club.

i.e. they bought around 61% of a L2 club about to be relegated to the National League for a smidge over £1.5m. But how much would 61% of a L1 or even a Championship club be worth?

They said they didn't consider the loans a problem and they would invest by buying shares which they would expect to recover the cost of upon selling.

The confusing part is that they haven't issued new shares and their statements imply they've put a lot of new money in. The more confusing part is what it's been spent on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2023, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Or people complaining because their managers on their backs for being incompetent or lazy!..??

The first departures out of the door were long overdue but a couple of the more recent departures certainly add weight to something being off behind the scenes.

There have been bullying rumours circulating for a while and we will probably find out how valid those rumours are in the near future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 259
heppy88
February 1, 2023, 7:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Also hearing this is to be heard in court.

Heard rumblings for a while that all is not well. Always take note of these "rumours" as having worked in the NHS, I've seen the worst examples of bullying and its effects on individuals physical and mental health. I detest it to be honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 259
forza ivano
February 1, 2023, 8:26pm

Exile
perhaps what should also be pointed out is that js and ap have already lost a substantial amount of money. If they've bought out existing shareholders and just want their initial investment back at the end of their tenure then they've lost x number of years when that money could've been invested wisely and working for them.
When you could invest in LGEN  and get a 7% divi p.a.  as opposed to just recouping your initial outlay it's  a decent loss - tie that in with 10% inflation and it soon becomes a significant sum

hopefully Herve pen and all the other haters will be big enough to acknowledge that fact
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 259
pen penfras
February 1, 2023, 8:30pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
perhaps what should also be pointed out is that js and ap have already lost a substantial amount of money. If they've bought out existing shareholders and just want their initial investment back at the end of their tenure then they've lost x number of years when that money could've been invested wisely and working for them.
When you could invest in LGEN  and get a 7% divi p.a.  as opposed to just recouping your initial outlay it's  a decent loss - tie that in with 10% inflation and it soon becomes a significant sum

hopefully Herve pen and all the other haters will be big enough to acknowledge that fact

Absolutely, and I'm sure you agree the previous owner lost a lot of money through an interest free, long term loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 259
ska face
February 1, 2023, 8:33pm

Vodka Drinker
He also lost us our football league status, twice. So, ye know, swings & roundabouts…

The Trust also lost £200k worth of shares which somebody pocketed the proceeds of. Any idea where that went?
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2023, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolutely, and I'm sure you agree the previous owner lost a lot of money through an interest free, long term loan.

Made a cool £200k by threatening to sell Liam Hearn if he didn't get his hand on them shares didn't he though Pen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 259
forza ivano
February 1, 2023, 8:38pm

Exile
Quoted from pen penfras

you forgot to mention the pension payments and the  substantial amount of shares 'gifted' (who's that at the back shouting 'blackmailed' to him by the Trust

you perhaps should also refer people to the cod almighty articles on JSF's history / conduct. I think I'm right in saying that that splendid series of articles has never been challenged legally,,,,,,,,,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 259
MarinerDevil
February 1, 2023, 8:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Are there any details on this court case?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 259
forza ivano
February 1, 2023, 8:41pm

Exile
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolutely[b][/b], and I'm sure you agree the previous owner lost a lot of money through an interest free, long term loan.

just going to highlight pen's response for further reference - the inference being that he acknowledges that 1878 are acting in a philanthropic manner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 259
aldi_01
February 1, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

For a bloke who penny pinched, he didn’t half waste money…and became friends with a convicted fraudster…

Interest free technically but when you factor in the Mullins, the ticket tout, the fraudster and thousands upon thousands of club money on a pipe dream, perhaps the interest free part pales in to insignificance…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2023, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Pen?

Pen?

Are you there, Pen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 259
HerveJosse
February 1, 2023, 10:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Bizarre argument.
Anyway holding Legal and General shares doesn’t get you a regular slot in the Guardian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 259
Norseman
February 2, 2023, 12:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from GollyGTFC

So has 2.4 m of   that 3.1m they have put in money gone to Fenty .What about the almost 3m the club have made in their tenure .Where is that .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 259
pen penfras
February 2, 2023, 6:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

just going to highlight pen's response for further reference - the inference being that he acknowledges that 1878 are acting in a philanthropic manner

I have never doubted their intentions are to do what they think is best for the club. I've only pointed out the hypocrisy in their actions.

I have no problem being a L2 side that's run without putting our future in jeopardy. But they've made many suggestions about bigger budgets and more money put into the club and all I'm seeing is the same old same old. Albeit through a glass barrier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 259
aldi_01
February 2, 2023, 6:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
There’s always room to critically analyse and question and I’m sure, unlike the previous despot, 1878 would be happy with that challenge, after all, that’s what often drives change…when they have been challenged, they’ve not gone on the defensive or used some woe is me approach, they’ve fronted it up and answers the questions.

Some of the challenge is laughable though, I’m not entirely sure what people wanted, and I think some just want to criticise without any idea really…have to say though, the way some are, they sound like jilted lovers….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 2, 2023, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I have never doubted their intentions are to do what they think is best for the club. I've only pointed out the hypocrisy in their actions.

I have no problem being a L2 side that's run without putting our future in jeopardy. But they've made many suggestions about bigger budgets and more money put into the club and all I'm seeing is the same old same old. Albeit through a glass barrier.

Going back to that £200k that I think most people can agree isn't morally John's money, do you know why he hasn't handed it back?

As he was gifted it, do you know if he paid tax on it? John got quite forgetful with his tax in relation to FSF didn't he and finally settled out of court.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 259
pen penfras
February 2, 2023, 5:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Going back to that £200k that I think most people can agree isn't morally John's money, do you know why he hasn't handed it back?

As he was gifted it, do you know if he paid tax on it? John got quite forgetful with his tax in relation to FSF didn't he and finally settled out of court.

The way it was done was obviously going to be unpopular and was a politician's move in that the £200k was donated to the club by reducing the loans by that amount. If he had put money in, there'd have been another 200k of loans to repay.

It's not all that dissimilar to some of the statements coming out now which imply a lot of money has been put in but no mention of where it's going. Feels like the money spent on buying the club is being advertised as investments. I guess we need to wait another year until the accounts come out to know the answer to that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 259
Northbank Mariner
February 2, 2023, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

The way it was done was obviously going to be unpopular and was a politician's move in that the £200k was donated to the club by reducing the loans by that amount. If he had put money in, there'd have been another 200k of loans to repay.

It's not all that dissimilar to some of the statements coming out now which imply a lot of money has been put in but no mention of where it's going. Feels like the money spent on buying the club is being advertised as investments. I guess we need to wait another year until the accounts come out to know the answer to that

Fenty was a snake who basically blackmailed those shares from the trust... sometimes you cannot defend the indefensible, so why bother!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 259
aldi_01
February 2, 2023, 9:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
He stole the 200k.
He avoided paying tax.
He bullied people.
He brought in the Mullins and reneged on a deal he had with them.
He brought in the ticket tout.
He then tried to utilise the fact nobody was attending games to push through an extremely dodgy deal with a convicted fraudster, a deal that served nothing to GTFC but only the pockets of him and his cronies.
He wasted nigh on a million quid on a ‘plan’ for a new stadium that got no further than a stick man drawing on a homosexual packet and included a dreadfully amateur, childish presentation on a loop at BP for three consecutive Mondays.
He was disgusting and not befitting of an alleged professional and club owner during a public debate.
He abused his position at the council because screwing the club wasn’t enough, he and his mate Jackson wanted in on May’s dodgy deal…

And finally, and it really flipping winds me up; at an event at Mcmenemys, possibly the Lord Buckley night, he and his then lottery winning friend got in to s willing waving contest masquerading as an auction over an amazing pairing of BP putting any genuine supporter out of the run in…then proceeding to be proud of himself…then, when his hyacinth bucket, plastic sofa covered house went on the market for a grossly inflated price given the early 90s decor, we see said painting just discarded and cast aside like it’s not important ot valuable…

C.unt

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 259
Poojah
February 2, 2023, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Yeah, but, apart from that…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 259
aldi_01
February 2, 2023, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
And don’t forget you peasants, I drive an 85k car…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 259
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2023, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
And don’t forget you peasants, I drive an 85k car…

With a dint.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 259
aldi_01
February 2, 2023, 9:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

With a dint.

fornicator even lied about that, was only about an inch scratch…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2023, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
He stole the 200k.
He avoided paying tax.
He bullied people.
He brought in the Mullins and reneged on a deal he had with them.
He brought in the ticket tout.
He then tried to utilise the fact nobody was attending games to push through an extremely dodgy deal with a convicted fraudster, a deal that served nothing to GTFC but only the pockets of him and his cronies.
He wasted nigh on a million quid on a ‘plan’ for a new stadium that got no further than a stick man drawing on a homosexual packet and included a dreadfully amateur, childish presentation on a loop at BP for three consecutive Mondays.
He was disgusting and not befitting of an alleged professional and club owner during a public debate.
He abused his position at the council because screwing the club wasn’t enough, he and his mate Jackson wanted in on May’s dodgy deal…

And finally, and it really flipping winds me up; at an event at Mcmenemys, possibly the Lord Buckley night, he and his then lottery winning friend got in to s willing waving contest masquerading as an auction over an amazing pairing of BP putting any genuine supporter out of the run in…then proceeding to be proud of himself…then, when his hyacinth bucket, plastic sofa covered house went on the market for a grossly inflated price given the early 90s decor, we see said painting just discarded and cast aside like it’s not important ot valuable…

C.unt

Managerial appointments?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 259
aldi_01
February 2, 2023, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Managerial appointments?

Not even gonna start on them…I mean he even broke the rules for two of those…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 259
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2023, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
I totally agree with everything Aldi said but for pure comedy value you cannot beat the ice bucket challenge.

We still laugh about it now between the nightmares; the vision of him standing there on the touchline, with the pose of a gladiator ready to go into the arena. Towel drooped casually over the shoulder as he showed off his magnificent physique.

The sheer vomit inducing spectacle will haunt me forever. A complete megalomaniac/narcissistic tosspot.
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 259
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2023, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I totally agree with everything Aldi said but for pure comedy value you cannot beat the ice bucket challenge.

We still laugh about it now between the nightmares; the vision of him standing there on the touchline, with the pose of a gladiator ready to go into the arena. Towel drooped casually over the shoulder as he showed off his magnificent physique.

The sheer vomit inducing spectacle will haunt me forever. A complete megalomaniac/narcissistic tosspot.

One of several Partridge moments. The vomit coloured leather jacket was my favourite.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 259
pizzzza
February 2, 2023, 10:31pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from aldi_01
then, when his hyacinth bucket, plastic sofa covered house went on the market for a grossly inflated price given the early 90s decor, we see said painting just discarded and cast aside like it’s not important ot valuable…

And to make it worse I bet he has kept that picture of the woman with her bottom out, probably still in pride of place above the snooker table
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 259
Captaincod
February 2, 2023, 10:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from MuddyWaters

One of several Partridge moments. The vomit coloured leather jacket was my favourite.

For an Alan Partridge moment nothing beats the Fenty tour of Blundell Park.

Totally cringeworthy , I still can’t believe his sycophantic lap dogs let him put it out . It’s still on YouTube, I  would post a link but don’t know how, if anyone doubts what an improvement the new owners are just look it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 259
dapperz fun pub
February 2, 2023, 10:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Captaincod

For an Alan Partridge moment nothing beats the Fenty tour of Blundell Park.

Totally cringeworthy , I still can’t believe his sycophantic lap dogs let him put it out . It’s still on YouTube, I  would post a link but don’t know how, if anyone doubts what an improvement the new owners are just look it up.

I’d like to see this again pure comedy gold

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 259
Captaincod
February 2, 2023, 10:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 259
Captaincod
February 2, 2023, 11:08pm
Shandy Drinker
I like the photo copied picture of Bill Shankly obviously sellotaped to the boot room wall before filming and the sink for the lady refs remark!
Also a bit too “hands on” with the ladies in the ticket office!
1878 have made mistakes , but could you ever imagine JS involving himself in something like this ?
It is funny but also tragic , so many people failed to tell Emporer John that
he was wearing no clothes .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 259
Captaincod
February 2, 2023, 11:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The snooker table interview, the turtle neck jumper, the flag deconstruction incident, the infamous fans forum . The list is endless .
Only time will tell if 1878 are any good or not , but surely they couldn’t be worse than our previous non chairman/ principal funder?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 259
chrissy
February 2, 2023, 11:44pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Compared to the last owner they are a thousand % better.

So I am happy they are here.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 259
rancido
February 3, 2023, 12:18am

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from pen penfras

I was under the impression that the shares were gifted to JF and not the club. Did he give the new owners the shares or did he sell them to them?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 3, 2023, 12:52am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I was under the impression that the shares were gifted to JF and not the club. Did he give the new owners the shares or did he sell them to them?

Every share was worth £1, he got 200,000 of them when he blackmailed Trust members and received £1 for every share in his possession when he sold the club, thus making £200,000 of pure profit on the sale of his shares.

Not bad for 20 years of decline is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 259
forza ivano
February 3, 2023, 6:55am

Exile
like to comment further pen???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 259
aldi_01
February 3, 2023, 7:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
He stole them. Simple as that, but then did we expect anything less?

I only included things which linked to cash in my list, naturally I have an endless list of embarrassing, Partridge, egomaniacal and down right flipping gross things but as the discussion was about funds and money I kept it to those…

I remember the sink video well; a slot on socceram, some National coverage in what was a dreadful point in our history, even then but alas, even socceram were cringing, and it was still in the time of the soccerette and monkey tennis, coming out of FHM and Loaded, the Nuts and Zoo era and yet, he still managed to make it creepy and cringey…

There were many moments like this, in fact the last time I listed them I reckon it took me a good half hour to write the post.

The terrifying issue was the sycophancy and the cult like supper he received from those who seemingly benefitted from him…I had the misfortune of being in a pub one particular Saturday. We’d be excrement as was usually the case and some fans were discussing the state of the club, being relatively calm about it really but one of his brothers was in, naturally got himself embroiled in the discussion.

I thought it was out of brotherly love, perhaps he felt it necessary to defend his ‘pilloried’ brother but alas, I was wrong. It simply to chant the same mantra of honest John, a mantra that quickly had its holes picked and, as expected the conversation turned to ‘I don’t see anyone else queuing up’ and ‘nobody else could do it’…then comments about his wealth and god knows what..:

All very bizarre given his brother was claiming to supper the club yet was blind and ignorant to the concerns and woes of supporters who have no doubt been going longer and significantly more times than honest John…

These are all discussion points resized whilst he was owner of our beloved club, it extends beyond that but in this context it’s irrelevant….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 259
Rodley Mariner
February 3, 2023, 7:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Says it all that Fenty's list of failings are so extensive that we've pretty much missed out the two relegations out of the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 259
jamesgtfc
February 3, 2023, 8:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Says it all that Fenty's list of failings are so extensive that we've pretty much missed out the two relegations out of the football league.

Let's not forget that our 'not fit for purpose' ticketing system arrived on his watch too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2023, 8:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Captaincod
I like the photo copied picture of Bill Shankly obviously sellotaped to the boot room wall before filming and the sink for the lady refs remark!
Also a bit too “hands on” with the ladies in the ticket office!
1878 have made mistakes , but could you ever imagine JS involving himself in something like this ?
It is funny but also tragic , so many people failed to tell Emporer John that
he was wearing no clothes .

This part of the "old culture" hasn't gone away I'm afraid from what I witnessed when buying a ticket at the start of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 259
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2023, 8:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Let's not forget that our 'not fit for purpose' ticketing system arrived on his watch too.

That said, let's not forget it's still here.
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 259
rancido
February 3, 2023, 11:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
He stole them. Simple as that, but then did we expect anything less?

I only included things which linked to cash in my list, naturally I have an endless list of embarrassing, Partridge, egomaniacal and down right flipping gross things but as the discussion was about funds and money I kept it to those…

I remember the sink video well; a slot on socceram, some National coverage in what was a dreadful point in our history, even then but alas, even socceram were cringing, and it was still in the time of the soccerette and monkey tennis, coming out of FHM and Loaded, the Nuts and Zoo era and yet, he still managed to make it creepy and cringey…

There were many moments like this, in fact the last time I listed them I reckon it took me a good half hour to write the post.

The terrifying issue was the sycophancy and the cult like supper he received from those who seemingly benefitted from him…I had the misfortune of being in a pub one particular Saturday. We’d be excrement as was usually the case and some fans were discussing the state of the club, being relatively calm about it really but one of his brothers was in, naturally got himself embroiled in the discussion.

I thought it was out of brotherly love, perhaps he felt it necessary to defend his ‘pilloried’ brother but alas, I was wrong. It simply to chant the same mantra of honest John, a mantra that quickly had its holes picked and, as expected the conversation turned to ‘I don’t see anyone else queuing up’ and ‘nobody else could do it’…then comments about his wealth and god knows what..:

All very bizarre given his brother was claiming to supper the club yet was blind and ignorant to the concerns and woes of supporters who have no doubt been going longer and significantly more times than honest John…

These are all discussion points resized whilst he was owner of our beloved club, it extends beyond that but in this context it’s irrelevant….

Ah yes, The Leech's brother. He seems to have slipped off the radar since we changed owners.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 259
Poojah
February 3, 2023, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Ah yes, The Leech's brother. He seems to have slipped off the radar since we changed owners.

In the interest of fairness, didn’t he die?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 259
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2023, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Steve Fenty sadly passed away - he was a really nice bloke who used to organise the YDA Golf day.
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 259
February 3, 2023, 1:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Steve and Pete have sadly passed away.

The Plonker and the Plonker’s two other brothers (Mark and Paul) are still alive as far as I am aware.

I’m writing John’s biography so I should know - ‘Don’t Forget The Orange!’ Available from the top shelf of any self-respecting newsagent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 259
rancido
February 3, 2023, 2:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I never knew that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 259
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2023, 2:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Steve and Pete have sadly passed away.

The Plonker and the Plonker’s two other brothers (Mark and Paul) are still alive as far as I am aware.

I’m writing John’s biography so I should know - ‘Don’t Forget The Orange!’ Available from the top shelf of any self-respecting newsagent.

One of them used to sit near me in the upper and give it the big un when things where going badly, I doubt he paid for his seat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 259
HerveJosse
February 3, 2023, 3:51pm
Champagne Drinker
In the last six pages the only attempt to answer the title of the thread has effectively been by saying well there not as bad as the previous owner. We all know that’s a very low bar to meet and if the usual suspects intend to carry on with that thinking for ever then 1878 are going to get a very easy ride. As I have said before it’s their get out of jail free card . Most cards have an expiry date not it seems this one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 259
RonMariner
February 3, 2023, 4:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Captaincod

FFS

The Shankly family must be so proud of that remarable memorial tribute,.......a piece of paper stuck to the wall.

Jesus wept  the 'pretty face' remarks and touching up all the women. Was this filmed in 1970?  

Pure Partridge throughout. Alan that is not Malcolm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 259
lew chaterleys lover
February 3, 2023, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

FFS

The Shankly family must be so proud of that remarable memorial tribute,.......a piece of paper stuck to the wall.

Jesus wept  the 'pretty face' remarks and touching up all the women. Was this filmed in 1970?  

Don't forget that was the high water mark. It went downhill after that.
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 259
coddy60
February 3, 2023, 6:09pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Quoted from HertsGTFC

One of them used to sit near me in the upper and give it the big un when things where going badly, I doubt he paid for his seat.

All the brothers paid for their season tickets tbf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 259
aldi_01
February 3, 2023, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from coddy60

All the brothers paid for their season tickets tbf.

How noble of them…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 259
out of town
February 3, 2023, 6:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from RonMariner

FFS

Every single person in that video fukking hates Fenty

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 259
chaos33
February 3, 2023, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just watched that JF video. That’s a really uncomfortable 5 minutes. Sickeningly cringey.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 259
Poojah
February 3, 2023, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Just watched that JF video. That’s a really uncomfortable 5 minutes. Sickeningly cringey.  

In case you’re not completely cringed out, and need the job finishing…

https://youtu.be/u9e0QgHjDZc

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 259
forza ivano
February 3, 2023, 8:06pm

Exile
Quoted from Poojah

wonder if that video gives Herve, pen and the other apologists a little flutter inside ,a they continue to yearn for the 'good old days'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 259
February 3, 2023, 8:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

wonder if that video gives Herve, pen and the other apologists a little flutter inside ,a they continue to yearn for the 'good old days'

There’s gonna be some raw chodes in the morning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 259
RonMariner
February 3, 2023, 8:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Poojah

Jesus....... Beyond parody.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 259
HerveJosse
February 3, 2023, 9:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Do you not read what I said . I am no Fenty apologist his reign was dire disastrous and he was a complete tool . What I can’t understand is the obsession with something that is now history and the refusal to focus on the present not the past
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 259
Cambs Mariner
February 3, 2023, 9:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from HerveJosse

Do you not read what I said . I am no Fenty apologist his reign was dire disastrous and he was a complete tool . What I can’t understand is the obsession with something that is now history and the refusal to focus on the present not the past

The reason is so his disastrous tenure can never be forgotten is to make sure it never happens again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 259
HerveJosse
February 3, 2023, 9:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

The reason his disastrous tenure can never be forgotten is to make sure it never happens again.

How does that work then ?

As long as the new owners don’t take their shirt off or bring in a fraudster they are doing a good job?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 259
Captaincod
February 3, 2023, 10:18pm
Shandy Drinker
What is it exactly you think they are doing wrong Herve? You seem to mistrust them and seem be looking for reasons to pull them apart at every opportunity.
Sure, every football club owner shouldn’t be beyond scrutiny and justified criticism , but so far they seem to have done a reasonably good job to me. They have made the odd mistake and will probably make a few more but it’s a learning curve for them. I was just as disappointed as everyone else that we didn’t spend a bit of money on a striker that’s my only gripe although I’m not so sure that’s their own fault .
It will take time to turn around the complete mess they inherited and I think it’s only fair to give them that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 259
MuddyWaters
February 3, 2023, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Captaincod
What is it exactly you think they are doing wrong Herve? You seem to mistrust them and seem be looking for reasons to pull them apart at every opportunity.
Sure, every football club owner shouldn’t be beyond scrutiny and justified criticism , but so far they seem to have done a reasonably good job to me. They have made the odd mistake and will probably make a few more but it’s a learning curve for them. I was just as disappointed as everyone else that we didn’t spend a bit of money on a striker that’s my only gripe although I’m not so sure that’s their own fault .
It will take time to turn around the complete mess they inherited and I think it’s only fair to give them that.

The turnaround in the club’s fortunes has been excellent but I’m pretty sure the owners won’t think that it’s job done. The ambition to create a community club is well founded but risks alienating players who aren’t living nearby. The owners are nobody’s fools, there’s plenty left to do and I’m sure they know that.
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 259
lukeo
February 4, 2023, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,416
Gold Stars: 149
5 issues with the video, 1 in which noones even noticed.

1. Straight after Steve talks in the office the camera goes straight to Lucy's breast area then moved last up slightly to show her smiling before moving onto someone else.
2. The shocking photo in the boot room. That's embarrassing
3. The way he touches them and scrubs their hair, condescending.
4. The awful facilities in the changing rooms
5. When in the osmond mentioning hoping the away fans are quiet

Very weird video.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 259
aldi_01
February 4, 2023, 7:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Working on that logic we should ignore slavery, the Holocaust, geneocide, Thatcher, terrorism and so on…we remember history and discuss it to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Quite frankly, if a video of Stockwood circulated of him running around his garden with his whanger out it still wouldn’t be as embarrassing as anything that’s gone before…people are more sympathetic if you’re decent at what you do…that was Fenty’s issue, he was flipping useless…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 259
Swansea_Mariner
February 4, 2023, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
I think the point is the the bar was low, extremely low, you cannot use said bar as any form of bellwether of current performance.

I agree we can learn from the past, but in this case  I'm  not sure what we are learning, is it......don't suffer from a collective delusion? Because that's what it was, there were far too many people saying well we're not Bury or Darlington so it's OK Jack.

1878 need a different standard to test whether they are any good or not because the previous standard was in and of itself, no good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 259
HerveJosse
March 9, 2023, 5:44pm
Champagne Drinker
I know you don’t like me talking about this but 1878 Partners Limited accounts still not filed over two months late so on Tuesday a compulsory winding up notice was issued .
On Wednesday the action was postponed.
What is going on ?
Really don’t want the club to end up being owned by the crown

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.....8bd3da6b23c30042d74e
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 259
ginnywings
March 9, 2023, 6:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HerveJosse
I know you don’t like me talking about this but 1878 Partners Limited accounts still not filed over two months late so on Tuesday a compulsory winding up notice was issued .
What is going on ?

Don't know, don't care.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 259
jamesgtfc
March 9, 2023, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Don't know, don't care.

You don't care that the company owning our club is facing a winding up notice?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 259
MarinerDevil
March 9, 2023, 6:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
If a company misses several deadlines, Companies House will assume it's defunct and start taking placing notices in the Gazette to warn others of what's happening, so creditors can start to collect, etc. This is clearly not necessary and 1878 have provided reasons for this so the notice has been withdrawn.

I'm not sure why 1878 haven't filed their accounts yet but they must have a good reason. Perhaps someone could ask Jason on Twitter?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 259
blundellpork
March 9, 2023, 6:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Having looked at Companies House, the striking off order has been discontinued. Nothing to see here.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 259
DB
March 9, 2023, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
What is going on ?

Since did filing your accounts on time get you 3 points?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 259
Maringer
March 9, 2023, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
With Companies House involved, administrative member-up is a distinct possibility. They are massively understaffed for the role they are supposed to carry out so should be seen as a register rather than a regulator. Short-staffed by design, in my view.

Alternatively, maybe 1878 need to get themselves some better accountants?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 259
marinerjase
March 9, 2023, 6:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Quoted from DB

Since did filing your accounts on time get you 3 points?

That gag wasn’t even funny the first time it was used, never mind the 965,781st time..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 259
ska face
March 9, 2023, 6:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It was a strike off notice (discontinued the next day), not a winding up order.
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 259
ginnywings
March 9, 2023, 7:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Only it's not is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 259
thefish
March 9, 2023, 7:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from marinerjase

That gag wasn’t even funny the first time it was used, never mind the 965,781st time..

But when did a gag…

I’ll get my coat!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 259
Rodley Mariner
March 9, 2023, 7:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That short wait for your calendar has really embittered you hasn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 259
Poojah
March 9, 2023, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Every time I see this thread crop up, I cringe. 1878’s tenure, not yet two years in, has seen us win a promotion, sell a club record number of season tickets and reach our first FA Cup quarter final since the Second World War.

Lots of little minor indiscretions along the way, perhaps, but the bigger picture has been “any good” at the very least. If anyone wants to disagree with that, feel free to tell me what kind of success would have been worthy of such a description.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 259
golfer
March 9, 2023, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
We have gained promotion and have reached the last 8 of the cup in the short time they have been here - what a stupid question.                              
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 259
Rodley Mariner
March 9, 2023, 7:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Every time I see this thread crop up, I cringe. 1878’s tenure, not yet two years in, has seen us win a promotion, sell a club record number of season tickets and reach our first FA Cup quarter final since the Second World War.

Lots of little minor indiscretions along the way, perhaps, but the bigger picture has been “any good” at the very least. If anyone wants to disagree with that, feel free to tell me what kind of success would have been worthy of such a description.

If people are expecting faultless ownership without a single misstep they're going to be continually disappointed aren't they? To be critical of the last two years after enduring what went before it is mind-boggling to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 259
chaos33
March 9, 2023, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

As if they are FFS

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 259
jamesgtfc
March 9, 2023, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker

It's not to do with that and I think 1878 are doing a great job but I'm with Herve that overdue accounts (coinciding with an amended year end) is something to keep an eye on.

The reason is probably administrative or the accountants not doing what they should be, but it is a red flag. Thankfully there aren't many more red flags and the club accounts raised no issues, but I would like to know why the company owning OUR club can't file accounts on time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 259
chaos33
March 9, 2023, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker

😂😂😂😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 259
nightrider
March 9, 2023, 8:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Always been the same. If we were a mid table Championship side, people would still be moaning. We'd be getting 5.5k gates and winging about not having a crack at the Premiership. See the 90s

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 259
GrimPol
March 9, 2023, 8:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's not to do with that and I think 1878 are doing a great job but I'm with Herve that overdue accounts (coinciding with an amended year end) is something to keep an eye on.

The reason is probably administrative or the accountants not doing what they should be, but it is a red flag. Thankfully there aren't many more red flags and the club accounts raised no issues, but I would like to know why the company owning OUR club can't file accounts on time.

1878 is a holding company with 2 shares worth £2. Its used to purchase a company and be a financial arm's length away from GTFC Ltd
There are no accounts as such. However there are formalities as 1878 Ltd and ICI Ltd will be under the same rules that they must follow, albeit 1878 Ltd is paper shuffle, ICI Ltd have accounts showing £Billions.. GTFC Ltd are the one to watch.
I'm much more concerned that our Home form is poor than paper shuffling.
But miles better than Scunny, it's all relative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 259
ginnywings
March 9, 2023, 8:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 259
jamesgtfc
March 9, 2023, 9:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Why?

Because 1878 Partners Ltd owns over 50% of the shares in The Grimsby Town Football Club Ltd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 259
Mappers
March 9, 2023, 9:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Did those Cod Almighty ' Fenty years 'articles ever get completed ?I always looked for the final one but it never appeared .They were a cracking read those .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 259
ginnywings
March 9, 2023, 10:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Because 1878 Partners Ltd owns over 50% of the shares in The Grimsby Town Football Club Ltd.

And?

What's your beef, apart from tardy calendars, empty advertising boards and capacity issues at the ground?

You seem to have problems with the owners and the way they do things, which I find very odd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 259
jamesgtfc
March 9, 2023, 11:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

And?

What's your beef, apart from tardy calendars, empty advertising boards and capacity issues at the ground?

You seem to have problems with the owners and the way they do things, which I find very odd.

As I said earlier, I think they are doing a great job and alluded to possible reasons:

Quoted from jamesgtfc

Commercially, we were pants: the stories from commercial customers of the club were concerning but that issue was addressed and admitted by the club so we move on.

In the main, I think we are doing great but I wish the club would accept the capacity is an issue and that our ticketing system is poor.

You think 1878 Partners Ltd not filing accounts is fine and I expect better from a company that owns most of our club because it is a criminal offence under Section 451 of The Companies Act 2006 to not file your accounts in a timely manner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 259
White_shorts
March 17, 2023, 5:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from nightrider
Always been the same. If we were a mid table Championship side, people would still be moaning. We'd be getting 5.5k gates and whinging about not having a crack at the Premiership. See the 90s

We'd be getting 5.5k gates because the facilities are so poor.  Most people don't like to sit in the Main Stand because of the restricted views.

Councillor Jackson was on Radio Humberside this morning.  He again said words to the effect that the owners have no interest in Freeman Street.

Maybe the club would get permission to redevelop Blundell Park, but I think 10k is an inadequate capacity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 259
lew chaterleys lover
March 17, 2023, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

We'd be getting 5.5k gates because the facilities are so poor.  Most people don't like to sit in the Main Stand because of the restricted views.

Councillor Jackson was on Radio Humberside this morning.  He again said words to the effect that the owners have no interest in Freeman Street.

Maybe the club would get permission to redevelop Blundell Park, but I think 10k is an inadequate capacity.

Yes Freeman street has been taken off the table if it was ever on it. Clever architects would do a lot with the current stadium site to have a larger capacity than 10k though, given it is 9k or thereabouts already.

Many years down the line who knows what might happen, but in our time frame improving BP seems the best bet.
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 259
Simon
March 17, 2023, 6:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You think 1878 Partners Ltd not filing accounts is fine and I expect better from a company that owns most of our club because it is a criminal offence under Section 451 of The Companies Act 2006 to not file your accounts in a timely manner.

Get away from your small one man band ltd companies and late filing of accounts is not uncommon and certainly nothing to worry about, fines are not worth stressing over either £150 for the first month, £375 second month, £750 up to six months and £1500 after that

Jason & Andrew are not fools when it comes to business matters, i suggest as fans we leave the running of the club to them and stop worrying about the accounts

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 259
Simon
March 17, 2023, 6:46pm
Snakebite drinker
As for Freeman Street what a shite place for a football stadium, again Jason & Andrew for the time being are committed to improving BP while at the same time looking at upgrading the training facilities, i'm not a fan of BP it's no longer fit for purpose but i do believe that come the time that we do eventually move to a new stadium i trust the new owners to deliver something much better than anything we have seen proposed over the past 20 years

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 259
DB
March 18, 2023, 12:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Simon
As for Freeman Street what a shite place for a football stadium, again Jason & Andrew for the time being are committed to improving BP while at the same time looking at upgrading the training facilities, i'm not a fan of BP it's no longer fit for purpose but i do believe that come the time that we do eventually move to a new stadium i trust the new owners to deliver something much better than anything we have seen proposed over the past 20 years

I think you have made a good point here. The previous regime was very good at rhetoric, but not one spade was used. It tells it all really!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 259
aldi_01
March 18, 2023, 6:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

As I said earlier, I think they are doing a great job and alluded to possible reasons:

Commercially, we were pants: the stories from commercial customers of the club were concerning but that issue was addressed and admitted by the club so we move on.

In the main, I think we are doing great but I wish the club would accept the capacity is an issue and that our ticketing system is poor.

All those advertising boards are full now, certainly the ones across the top of the stands…makes you think there was probably an issue with having them rather than the club not attracting sponsors so that’s another whine sorted.

As for late accounts, as someone else has already pointed out, it’s literally not an issue. Hundreds of companies do it, and Pettit literally explained the reason why. It’s a moot point.

They’ve also addressed the issue with the ticketing system, indirectly perhaps but they have and to be fair, the one game we did expect trouble with it, I never heard a murmer. The people I’ve heard moan they didn’t get a Brighton ticket didn’t get one because they tried to buy one too late, nothing to do with the system. Not saying it needs changing but still…

I do have one criticism though; they’re late getting the FA Cup final shirts ordered…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 259
26 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are 1878 Any Good

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.