Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are 1878 Any Good
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Are 1878 Any Good

This thread currently has 27,334 views. Print
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
So, what is your point?
They will fund a signing of a striker but they don’t recruit players themselves, directly. Everyone wants a goalscorer.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2022, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

That all sounds fantastic and I think that is partly what excited us when they took over. I for one thought hey up, two very intelligent and wealthy and successful businessman sounds perfect, especially as they seemed, as you say to have access to money raising and investment opportunities Fenty could only dream about.

That business acumen also raises expectations though, doesn’t it? All that financial expertise but we still seem to have a mid range playing budget, and even getting an established league 2 striker seems a struggle. This is in addition to being one of the best supported teams in the league with income way above what was expected.

You can be as sustainable as you like, and like everyone else I hope GTFC become a beacon for the community but football is about excitement and knowing you can compete with the better clubs.

People in football know because of our gates and the history of the owners we are not short of money so it is not a question of trying to fool agents and players about our finances.

1878 are good, but for me they need to show a bit more financial muscle as less committed fans than most on here will lose a bit of interest.

Great post.

The new training ground was in the offing at least this time last year if not earlier. I’ve got no idea how much the financial benefit of promotion and the increased season ticket revenue put into the club but there must be a surplus on the budget unless it was all spent on the turd polishing of BP.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
How is it a great post? It doesn’t say anything.
Acquiring land for new training facilities takes time and finding a goalscorer is also difficult. They will fund both.
I don’t get what the usual suspects are beefing about??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 259
lew chaterleys lover
December 6, 2022, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33
So, what is your point?
They will fund a signing of a striker but they don’t recruit players themselves, directly. Everyone wants a goalscorer.

You have developed a habit of not seeing the point when any poster says something you don't agree with.

I see your point - you don't want to see any criticism of the owners because you think they will fund the training ground and striker accusitions when they are ready. My point is that a lot of fans, and I hear this regularly at games, is that they thought we would have seen and heard more about using their financial clout in regards to players, and news about other things that need investment such as increasing the ground capacity and / or new stadium etc. We have read thousands of words in the Guardian saying the same sort of thing, which is great but there are limits to what the generic ambition will produce.

Some fans are more impatient than others but momentum is important, even allowing for last season's fairytale ending.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 259
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2022, 4:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
How is it a great post? It doesn’t say anything.
Acquiring land for new training facilities takes time and finding a goalscorer is also difficult. They will fund both.
I don’t get what the usual suspects are beefing about??

In my opinion, it makes several very good points. I reflect on various things the chairman said in interviews last year and I remember some of the things he said.

Interesting that you use phrases like ‘usual suspects’. I think you misunderstand. Most of what 1878 do is great, that doesn’t mean they’re perfect and unquestionable, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 259
DB
December 6, 2022, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Great post.

The new training ground was in the offing at least this time last year if not earlier. I’ve got no idea how much the financial benefit of promotion and the increased season ticket revenue put into the club but there must be a surplus on the budget unless it was all spent on the turd polishing of BP.

I'm as frustrated as most about the lack of a new training ground. The last I heard was JS or AP saying that they had hit a problem with the landowner. They didn't say what the problem was or if they had a plan 'B' for a different location.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 259
ska face
December 6, 2022, 5:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
I’ve just got no idea which reality some people inhabit, or which plane of existence some people operate in. Try and have a discussion specifically about funding the training ground and suddenly they’re getting grief because Hurst hasn’t signed a striker.

Because Stockwood & Pettit have very specific expertise in a few niche areas of, say, real estate investment and private equity funding for tech firms and start-ups, suddenly this equates to some kind of generalised “business acumen” that should’ve arrested a 20-year footballing decline and general malaise, and immediately put us on a footing with teams who have been playing in L1 in the last few years rather than circling the L2 drain and dropping out the league altogether.

I think Stockwood says it in almost every interview - the footballing side is left to Hurst, which is pretty fair, you wouldn’t want the owners interfering in that side of it. He’s spent money on Hunt & Green and been told there’s still money there if he needs it, but somehow the board cop for it when nobody meets the manager’s standards, or (like Smith or Kayode in the summer) end up with offers in L1.  They’ve even sold Mcatee but managed to keep hold of him for a year, but getting grief because he’s injured.

The usual suspects on here have collectively shat themselves in apoplectic rage at the temerity of Stockwood for merely hinting that some people may benefit from engaging with reality, so you have to ask - what do people realistically expect them to have done in the last 18 months in terms of moving grounds, increasing capacity at BP or sorting a new training ground? Serious question, what do people think should have been achieved by this point?
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker

You have developed a habit of not seeing the point when any poster says something you don't agree with.

I see your point - you don't want to see any criticism of the owners because you think they will fund the training ground and striker accusitions when they are ready. My point is that a lot of fans, and I hear this regularly at games, is that they thought we would have seen and heard more about using their financial clout in regards to players, and news about other things that need investment such as increasing the ground capacity and / or new stadium etc. We have read thousands of words in the Guardian saying the same sort of thing, which is great but there are limits to what the generic ambition will produce.

Some fans are more impatient than others but momentum is important, even allowing for last season's fairytale ending.

I don’t see the point. What is the point/moan/criticism that hasn’t already been dealt with?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 259
chaos33
December 6, 2022, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
I’ve just got no idea which reality some people inhabit, or which plane of existence some people operate in. Try and have a discussion specifically about funding the training ground and suddenly they’re getting grief because Hurst hasn’t signed a striker.

Because Stockwood & Pettit have very specific expertise in a few niche areas of, say, real estate investment and private equity funding for tech firms and start-ups, suddenly this equates to some kind of generalised “business acumen” that should’ve arrested a 20-year footballing decline and general malaise, and immediately put us on a footing with teams who have been playing in L1 in the last few years rather than circling the L2 drain and dropping out the league altogether.

I think Stockwood says it in almost every interview - the footballing side is left to Hurst, which is pretty fair, you wouldn’t want the owners interfering in that side of it. He’s spent money on Hunt & Green and been told there’s still money there if he needs it, but somehow the board cop for it when nobody meets the manager’s standards, or (like Smith or Kayode in the summer) end up with offers in L1.  They’ve even sold Mcatee but managed to keep hold of him for a year, but getting grief because he’s injured.

The usual suspects on here have collectively shat themselves in apoplectic rage at the temerity of Stockwood for merely hinting that some people may benefit from engaging with reality, so you have to ask - what do people realistically expect them to have done in the last 18 months in terms of moving grounds, increasing capacity at BP or sorting a new training ground? Serious question, what do people think should have been achieved by this point?

Exactly that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 259
DB
December 6, 2022, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ska face

Star man for me

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 259
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are 1878 Any Good

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.