Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Official January Transfer Window Thread
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 282 Guests

Official January Transfer Window Thread

This thread currently has 493,874 views. Print
341 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
November 22, 2022, 1:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266

Which will be a great shame. Its amazing despite our extensive checks to "ensure they are the right fit" Hurst continues to sign players who aren't fit enough, don't track back enough.

He simply isn't that type of player and it should be Hurst's job to get the best out of these mercurial players.

He seemed a good fit to me when he scored the winning goal in the play-offs.

Otis Khan of the present and Nathan Arnold from the past says you're wrong (plus the fact that he's kept Scannell on, so he obviously believes in him)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 3406
DB
November 22, 2022, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
In his pre-match (Accrington) Hurst spoke of some players being similar within the squad, emphasizing that he is building a squad from which he picks a team to perform against a specific opposition. He also spoke that he has been looking for a strike for about 18 months.

As he pointed out, some of the strikers he targeted ( In leagues above us ) wouldn't be released by their clubs, other strikers offered to him by their agents were not a fit, for unmentioned reasons, for his squad.

So the likes of JMD and probably Wearne may leave in January. JS is on record as saying that we need to improve the squad every transfer window. Let's hope we get that all elusive striker and replacements for the loanees who will return to their respective clubs.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 3406
buckstown
November 22, 2022, 2:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
I think PH makes less mistakes in the transfer market than most managers, and when does make a mistake he gets rid sharpish
When he signed JMD I think he was fairly sure we’d be in the national league again this season and would have played a much bigger part
Bottom line is that although he makes things happen occasionally, he’s not a league two player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 3406
HerveJosse
November 22, 2022, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm gonna guess that it's easier and more achievable to take a player who has technical abilities but a lower work ethic/physical attributes and install a level of graft and/or improved fitness levels on them, as opposed to taking a workhorse type and improve their technical capabilities.

In JMD case it’s not just fitness or work rate which can be instilled he is also just slow when he tries to track back he is running in treacle . I don’t think you can give people pace anymore then you can give them skill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 3406
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 22, 2022, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano

Otis Khan of the present and Nathan Arnold from the past says you're wrong (plus the fact that he's kept Scannell on, so he obviously believes in him)

i asked on another thread the other day if Scannell was anywhere near fitness and making it into the matchday squad

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 3406
moosey_club
November 23, 2022, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

i asked on another thread the other day if Scannell was anywhere near fitness and making it into the matchday squad

Having Scannell back would be like a new signing...etc etc etc...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 3406
Corkyefes
November 24, 2022, 1:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
We are a decent striker away from having a chance to get near the playoffs or if not, I feel we may be looking over our shoulder and potentially drawn into a relegation battle... It's as simple as that and Hurst has a big challenge in the next window to get it right (alongside the board making funds available).

I would like to think someone like Dallas is on our radar, but who knows.
If Solihull still want the money they quoted in the summer (what I heard), then it wont happen.

One thing I hope doesn't happen, is that he goes for another youngster from reserve level and doesn't give them a chance (ie Richardson).

In the summer, I said that we wouldn't of been stupid to take a punt on Joe Nuttall from Scunthorpe and based on him already scoring 9 in a very poor Scunthorpe side, that might of worked out well. Who knows.

Lets see what it brings.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 3406
grimsby pete
November 24, 2022, 6:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Now we have a Head of Recruitment we might find a decent striker in January.

Let's hope so.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 3406
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 24, 2022, 7:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from grimsby pete
Now we have a Head of Recruitment we might find a decent striker in January.

Let's hope so.  

If the unions get their way there’s gonna be loads on the run  up to Christmas

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 3406
Nelly GTFC
November 24, 2022, 10:22pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,761
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from wiggers
Billy Waters and Harry Smith on my wish list. Think we need another wide player also. Would like to see all young loans head back to their clubs and Hurst sign established lower league players instead.
I wonder how accurate this is, £1,500 a week according to this: https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/barrow/

Grimsby Towns apparently: https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/grimsby-town/

If it is correct, I guess the likes of the loan players including McAtee, Pepple and Simmonds are subsidised by the parent clubs, as I can't imagine us paying those full salaries in this league, but who knows, gates are up.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 3406
341 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Official January Transfer Window Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.