Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Official January Transfer Window Thread
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 291 Guests

Official January Transfer Window Thread

This thread currently has 493,900 views. Print
341 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
November 22, 2022, 10:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,414
Gold Stars: 149
Keeping quiet in hope someone makes a big booboo and helps me climb out of relegation  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 3406
lew chaterleys lover
November 22, 2022, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,781
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB

I agree with you. I think JMD will go, Hurst just said he's back in training but needs to up his fitness, a repeat of what he has said about JMD many times.

Sourse prematch Accrington.

Which will be a great shame. Its amazing despite our extensive checks to "ensure they are the right fit" Hurst continues to sign players who aren't fit enough, don't track back enough.

He simply isn't that type of player and it should be Hurst's job to get the best out of these mercurial players.

He seemed a good fit to me when he scored the winning goal in the play-offs.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 3406
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 22, 2022, 11:42am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
Im quite surprised that JMD hasnt been loaned out. With no sign of starting a match here, farm him out to a lower league team for a month or two, then I can also see him leaving in January.

Yes he will forever go down in the annals of GTFC history, but only because he was in the right place at the right time. Sadly that doesnt mean he is a player worthy of a regular starting position in the League.

edit: had to edit as I had spelt annals incorrectly!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 3406
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 22, 2022, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
I would like to see JMD start more games, particularly at home, forget the tracking back that’s why you have players like Clifton who get everywhere. JMD has the skill to create and score goals sadly what has been missing in home matches, do we really need eleven workhorses?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 3406
ska face
November 22, 2022, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852

Which will be a great shame. Its amazing despite our extensive checks to "ensure they are the right fit" Hurst continues to sign players who aren't fit enough, don't track back enough.

He simply isn't that type of player and it should be Hurst's job to get the best out of these mercurial players.

I really like JMD but you could argue he did the job he was brought in to do last year, but it’s potentially a different challenge this year (and, realistically, not a position we were expecting to be in when he was signed almost exactly a year ago). His contract’s up at the end of the season and he’s realistically got until mid-Jan to prove he’s fit or he’s probably going to be looking at a loan & leave on a free.

Like I’ve said before, he must have the best record in the squad in terms of “goal involvements” if you want to call it that. He makes stuff happen and we all know where we’ve been lacking this season. It might end up being a decision between keeping him or Wearne, or JMD himself might push for a loan/move rather than spending six months on the bench & struggling in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 3406
ginnywings
November 22, 2022, 12:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

Clearly signed for non league, and even in that league I doubt he would have got a regular 90 mins. More of an impact player when needing a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 3406
lew chaterleys lover
November 22, 2022, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,781
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings

Clearly signed for non league, and even in that league I doubt he would have got a regular 90 mins. More of an impact player when needing a goal.

That is not the point. Whichever league we are in he keeps signing players who do not fit the profile he really wants - he wants duracell bunnies first and foremost and even a cursory look shows that JMD is not that player. Wearne will go the same way and presumably he was signed to be a league player.

I don't care what style we play but it seems daft to keep signing players to try to mould them into what you want when these types find it very difficult.  It is asking too much for every player to be like Harry Clifton and just turn on their sublime skills when they are also a work horse.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 3406
diehardmariner
November 22, 2022, 12:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
I'm gonna guess that it's easier and more achievable to take a player who has technical abilities but a lower work ethic/physical attributes and install a level of graft and/or improved fitness levels on them, as opposed to taking a workhorse type and improve their technical capabilities.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 3406
toontown
November 22, 2022, 12:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70

That is not the point. Whichever league we are in he keeps signing players who do not fit the profile he really wants - he wants duracell bunnies first and foremost and even a cursory look shows that JMD is not that player. Wearne will go the same way and presumably he was signed to be a league player.

I don't care what style we play but it seems daft to keep signing players to try to mould them into what you want when these types find it very difficult.  It is asking too much for every player to be like Harry Clifton and just turn on their sublime skills when they are also a work horse.

I take your general point but in the case of JMD I don't think it holds water. We signed him to get us out of non league, to be a player whose work rate deficiencies we could carry at that level against the park the bus type sides. And also to use as an impact player against the better sides. Which is how he was used. And it worked, just a year earlier than expected! So Hurst has used him exactly as he wanted to last season, no failure at all in the transfer.

The new level we find ourselves at changes his calculation as to how to use him though. Personally I'd rather see more of him but I don't think it was a flaw of Hurst to sign him in the first place, quite the opposite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 3406
ginnywings
November 22, 2022, 1:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

It may not be your point, but I think it is valid one. Not all players are signed to be first choice, play every 90 mins types.

It's a squad game and some players are just squad members to be used in certain situations.

Now we have gone up a level, some will fall by the wayside. If he hadn't had another year on his contract, I doubt he would have got an extension.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 3406
341 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Official January Transfer Window Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.