mariner91
November 17, 2022, 9:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Abdul19
Players all know they're not allowed to bet on football. No doubt the daft fucker had an account in his own name.

IvanToney96 was his username. Surprised he managed to place so many bets before being caught.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
ginnywings
November 17, 2022, 9:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mariner91

IvanToney96 was his username. Surprised he managed to place so many bets before being caught.

Should have called himself Tony Ivan69. That woulda fooled 'em.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
OddShapedBalls
November 17, 2022, 9:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from aldi_01

So no issue with drink driving, assault and to be fair, Tripper was caught betting too…

It’s hard to have sympathy, I get that, but when a sport relies seemingly quite heavily on the money from gambling sites and bookmakers, and doesn’t seem to want to do anything about that, it’s easy to see why players do it…

I’ve never placed a bet in my life, out of interest, do other sports have similar rules?

Rugby Union does, certainly, although the only well known case of it was when Wales assistant coach Rob Howley was dumped from the 2019 world cup when the allegations came out.  The only real shock there was that it took so long for official action to happen as word in the valleys was in the local bookies most days.  Nobody really cared until a rumour came out that he'd bet £6k on wales to lose, never found out if that was true or not but it turned opinion from 'he's not doing any harm' to 'hang, draw and quarter him'.

The weird thing about Toney is they charged him then let him play.  If there was anything serious about it he would have been dropped like a stone by the club surely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
diehardmariner
November 17, 2022, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
He's guilty, like many other footballers caught up in betting scandals, of stupidity rather than cheating or fixing.

I'm in complete agreement with those who are calling out the irony of a sport, pretty much propped up by the betting industry (and vice-versa in all truth), going in on tough on this.

You can also compare it to other sports that have a strong link with gambling, racing for example where jockeys, owners and trainers are very happy to spoon-feed information to punters and often game the markets themselves for future gain.

It's a stupid rule that needs refreshing in my opinion.  Toney betting on the outcome of Exeter v Oldham in 2019 is a ridiculous reason for him to miss out on a place at the World Cup.  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 17, 2022, 12:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
Oh the Ivany of it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 17, 2022, 1:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,321
Gold Stars: 309

TBF, I’ve got a few Ciba-Geigy Town shirts and I’ve always just about managed to resist releasing toxic chemicals into my local river.

Let alone my Brazilian club shirt that is sponsored by Coke.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
diehardmariner
November 17, 2022, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
Hope there's no fans of the Peruvian league here...

[img]https://www.uksoccershop.com/images/WankaFront.jpg[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
TonySmith
November 17, 2022, 2:29pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
It does make sense to not allow players to bet on their sport. Obviously not in games in which they are personally involved, but in any games at any level. Ivan Toney, as an example, will know quite a few players who play in the top five or six levels of the English game, maybe some playing lower down too, so the potential for match fixing is a lot greater than might at first seem apparent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 17, 2022, 10:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,025
Gold Stars: 190
The fact is that Ivan Benjamin Elijah Toney has the most ironic initials ever

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
HerveJosse
November 17, 2022, 10:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
I guess if you are on loan to Scunny you think you haven’t got a lot to lose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ivan Toney

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.