4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2022, 12:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Obviously we know they've sacked Ralph, but heaeing Nathan Jones is their number 1 target.
After the sale of  Macatee, the loan of Pepple and the apparent good relations built between them and us, I'm wondering now 2 things.
1) Macatee is known to perform for certain types of manager, believe Jones is very similar to Hurst, be interesting to see how he goes ic they get a manager he can't get along with.
2) Can we send Pepple back early?..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
November 7, 2022, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
Southampton given permission to speak with Jones. A brave move if they go through with it - no disputing his record at Luton but the last time he left them for a bigger club, when he went to Stoke, his record was horrible, leaving with a win rate of just 15.8%.

As for Hurst, if he wasn’t big enough for Rotherham, where he is a club legend, I doubt he’ll be big enough for Luton. It is rare for clubs on the cusp of the Championship play-offs to appoint a manager from a club in the bottom half of League Two.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
chaos33
November 7, 2022, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Obviously we know they've sacked Ralph, but heaeing Nathan Jones is their number 1 target.
After the sale of  Macatee, the loan of Pepple and the apparent good relations built between them and us, I'm wondering now 2 things.
1) Macatee is known to perform for certain types of manager, believe Jones is very similar to Hurst, be interesting to see how he goes ic they get a manager he can't get along with.
2) Can we send Pepple back early?..

Why do you want to ‘send Pepple back early’?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
Saudimariner
November 7, 2022, 1:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +306
Gold Stars: 10
[quote=140299]Obviously we know they've sacked Ralph, but heaeing Nathan Jones is their number 1 target.

Nathan Jones? Nah - he's been gone too long
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
November 7, 2022, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,793
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

Why do you want to ‘send Pepple back early’?

I would imagine because he does not think he is offering much to our squad.

If you don't want him to be sent back, what you are basing that on would be a more pertinent question, surely?

Loans are two-way streets - it gives the loanee a taste of first-team football, but in return, they should improve your squad, and Pepple has not shown anything like what we were hoping for.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
Croxton
November 7, 2022, 2:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35

I would imagine because he does not think he is offering much to our squad.

If you don't want him to be sent back, what you are basing that on would be a more pertinent question, surely?

Loans are two-way streets - it gives the loanee a taste of first-team football, but in return, they should improve your squad, and Pepple has not shown anything like what we were hoping for.

Didn't Hurst say Pepple has done his hamstring? Must say, he looks very musclebound for his age and the lack of games won't have helped.

Luck not going our way so far this season with injuries. Plus Kiernan would have been useful at Hartlepool but was away for 'personal reasons'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
diehardmariner
November 7, 2022, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Poojah
Southampton given permission to speak with Jones. A brave move if they go through with it - no disputing his record at Luton but the last time he left them for a bigger club, when he went to Stoke, his record was horrible, leaving with a win rate of just 15.8%.

As for Hurst, if he wasn’t big enough for Rotherham, where he is a club legend, I doubt he’ll be big enough for Luton. It is rare for clubs on the cusp of the Championship play-offs to appoint a manager from a club in the bottom half of League Two.

Not sure Stoke are the best measure really, consecutive managers have struggled there in recent years.  Despite a massive wage bill, something just isn't right there.  I think his record in both spells at Luton more than counters the disaster in the Potteries.  

Actually a bit surprised Jones would entertain the move in all honesty.  Southampton look a club on the downward and have skirted the relegation drain for a few years now (with the exception of the Covid season when they came back from the enforced break with a run of form to achieve a mid-table finish).  Luton on the other hand look a club on the upward trajectory.  Even if Jones falls short again with Luton this season, his stock will remain really high.  I can only see Southampton continuing to struggle, at best.  He holds out for a bit longer and he'll be able to get a better job if he wants it.  

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
Poojah
November 7, 2022, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not sure Stoke are the best measure really, consecutive managers have struggled there in recent years.  Despite a massive wage bill, something just isn't right there.  I think his record in both spells at Luton more than counters the disaster in the Potteries.  

Actually a bit surprised Jones would entertain the move in all honesty.  Southampton look a club on the downward and have skirted the relegation drain for a few years now (with the exception of the Covid season when they came back from the enforced break with a run of form to achieve a mid-table finish).  Luton on the other hand look a club on the upward trajectory.  Even if Jones falls short again with Luton this season, his stock will remain really high.  I can only see Southampton continuing to struggle, at best.  He holds out for a bit longer and he'll be able to get a better job if he wants it.  

I think it’s just simple maths. If Southampton offer him a 4-year deal, that’s going to be worth roughly £5m to him whatever happens. For someone who had a bang average playing career (at best), I doubt he’s in a position to turn that down.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
GollyGTFC
November 7, 2022, 2:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
What do Southampton expect a manager to achieve though given what they’ve invested in recent seasons?

They were always behind the greedy SL 6. In recent years Leicester & Wolves have moved beyond them (although both are have a FFP induced season off from spending. But now they’re being out-invested by Newcastle, Aston Villa, West Ham & Leeds. And then there are Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace who have recruited superbly.

Of the 17 teams who were in PL last season they are the ones who you look at and think are the weakest of those 17. The reality is that the 3 relegation spots will probably be occupied by 3 out Southampton & the 3 who came up.

RH was probably over achieved with what he’s had to work with at Southampton.

Nathan Jones would be crazy to take it given how lucky he was to return to Luton after failing miserably at Stoke.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 34
GollyGTFC
November 7, 2022, 2:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from Poojah

I think it’s just simple maths. If Southampton offer him a 4-year deal, that’s going to be worth roughly £5m to him whatever happens. For someone who had a bang average playing career (at best), I doubt he’s in a position to turn that down.

Going to Stoke on big money and then getting paid up in full made him a multi-millionaire. He might well take the Saints job, but he’s far from a pauper.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Southampton sack Ralph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.