4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
November 7, 2022, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362

I would imagine because he does not think he is offering much to our squad.

If you don't want him to be sent back, what you are basing that on would be a more pertinent question, surely?

Loans are two-way streets - it gives the loanee a taste of first-team football, but in return, they should improve your squad, and Pepple has not shown anything like what we were hoping for.

Ah right. Thanks for sorting that for me. I’d probably trust the staff to decide what to with this player. I’m not best placed to judge whether someone is ‘up to it’ really even though I’m a long time player/watcher/student of the game. I think, in his brief appearances in our shirt he’s done ok. Nothing spectacularly good or appallingly bad. He’s contributed I would say and needs more time on the pitch in my view. I wouldn’t make it my call to judge whether he’s up to it on that basis, but obviously, some others might want to make that judgement as they know better. The poster didn’t say why he should be sent back, just alluded to the fact he might want him to go to Luton. He didn’t make a case for him not being good enough but quite a few did recently conclude he ‘isn’t good enough, including yourself - an authority on such things , from the standard of players to the merits of brexit and plenty of other things. Ahem. Best not dwell there.  I’ll probably reserve judgement and leave it to those who are better placed.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
November 7, 2022, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,781
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

Ah right. Thanks for sorting that for me. I’d probably trust the staff to decide what to with this player. I’m not best placed to judge whether someone is ‘up to it’ really even though I’m a long time player/watcher/student of the game. I think, in his brief appearances in our shirt he’s done ok. Nothing spectacularly good or appallingly bad. He’s contributed I would say and needs more time on the pitch in my view. I wouldn’t make it my call to judge whether he’s up to it on that basis, but obviously, some others might want to make that judgement as they know better. The poster didn’t say why he should be sent back, just alluded to the fact he might want him to go to Luton. He didn’t make a case for him not being good enough but quite a few did recently conclude he ‘isn’t good enough, including yourself - an authority on such things , from the standard of players to the merits of brexit and plenty of other things. Ahem. Best not dwell there.  I’ll probably reserve judgement and leave it to those who are better placed.

Yes of course we can leave it to club staff to make these informed decisions but it wouldn't make for a very interesting forum.

I imagine difference of opinions on players is the number one subject on every fans' forums in the country.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2022, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from chaos33

Why do you want to ‘send Pepple back early’?

Honestly, because he's useless!...no disrespect to the kud as a person but as a league footballer?..not a chance, I'd rather we bled our own young guns and from what I've seen I'd have kept Essel over Pepple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
pen penfras
November 7, 2022, 6:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not sure Stoke are the best measure really, consecutive managers have struggled there in recent years.  Despite a massive wage bill, something just isn't right there.  I think his record in both spells at Luton more than counters the disaster in the Potteries.  

Actually a bit surprised Jones would entertain the move in all honesty.  Southampton look a club on the downward and have skirted the relegation drain for a few years now (with the exception of the Covid season when they came back from the enforced break with a run of form to achieve a mid-table finish).  Luton on the other hand look a club on the upward trajectory.  Even if Jones falls short again with Luton this season, his stock will remain really high.  I can only see Southampton continuing to struggle, at best.  He holds out for a bit longer and he'll be able to get a better job if he wants it.  

Southampton are a much bigger club than Luton. When does a manager from lower down ever get the opportunity to manage a Premier League club that's not hovering around the relegation spots? In that league, the difference between mid table and relegation battle is 2 wins. I'd have thought it's be millions of pounds a year to manage Southampton, it's a fantastic opportunity at a club that has been well run for quite a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
pontoonlew
November 7, 2022, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Honestly, because he's useless!...no disrespect to the kud as a person but as a league footballer?..not a chance, I'd rather we bled our own young guns and from what I've seen I'd have kept Essel over Pepple.

Think it’s a bit harsh on Pepple, he’s not been great but seems to have had absolute pellets for Hartlepool which was IMO one of his better games (not a high bar obviously). Just seems a bit like he’s been latched on slightly, he’s still only 19.

On Jones, it’s probably a bad move for him and for Southampton but it’ll happen anyway. Jones will know he’s probably doomed but you can’t turn down Premier League football. He’ll then return to Luton in 18 months and that cycle will continue until we all die.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2022, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think it’s a bit harsh on Pepple, he’s not been great but seems to have had absolute pellets for Hartlepool which was IMO one of his better games (not a high bar obviously). Just seems a bit like he’s been latched on slightly, he’s still only 19.

On Jones, it’s probably a bad move for him and for Southampton but it’ll happen anyway. Jones will know he’s probably doomed but you can’t turn down Premier League football. He’ll then return to Luton in 18 months and that cycle will continue until we all die.

I'm not sure it harsh regards his footballing ability, he played in quite a few of the early season games, and I thought maybe he'd bed in, but 1/3 of the season gone and he's not shown, don't forget this only my personal opinion, any signs of improvement.
I compared him to Robles, that may have been harsh ill admit, but even he went to TNS and started banging them in, so maybe Pepple needs to drop a level or 2 to gain confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
chaos33
November 7, 2022, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Kud?
‘No disrespect to him - but he’s useless’?!
I’m sure he’ll be ok with that.
‘Bled’ our own ‘young guns? What? From what ‘you’ve seen’ you’d rather we kept Essel and not Peppel. Right. How many times have you watched Essel? You know the professionals in charge have loaned Essel to a club several leagues below us, and persist with Peppell, despite you saying he’s ‘useless right? Is it possible that you’re daft and your opinion is worthless?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2022, 7:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Kud?
‘No disrespect to him - but he’s useless’?!
I’m sure he’ll be ok with that.
‘Bled’ our own ‘young guns? What? From what ‘you’ve seen’ you’d rather we kept Essel and not Peppel. Right. How many times have you watched Essel? You know the professionals in charge have loaned Essel to a club several leagues below us, and persist with Peppell, despite you saying he’s ‘useless right? Is it possible that you’re daft and your opinion is worthless?

Nope...but I think you're a prat if that helps!..
My opinion is my opinion, I've seen Essel play a lot more than Pepple and he looks to have something about him, he's quite keen, sharper and scores goals...oh,  everything Pepple isn't!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
chaos33
November 7, 2022, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Wounded that I’ve been called a ‘prat’ by someone who can barely construct sentences and who is now claiming some bogus recollections to re-make a stupid opinion. 🥲
Haha. As if you’ve seen Essel play a lot more than Peppel! What, for the first team? When was that? In your dreams? Care to list those games?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
HertsGTFC
November 7, 2022, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
This thread and some of the posts are embarrassing, Southampton manager gets the boot and it turns into “another” pile on about a 19 year old lad who’s only learning and trying to make his way in the game.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Southampton sack Ralph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.