4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
November 16, 2022, 8:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
And I think that's where my frustration with Stockwood's view stems from a little bit, that at this moment in time we don't need the money.

Record season ticket sales, not a huge amount of outlay in transfers/wages that we can see...so from the outside looking in the extra income looks more like a nice to have than an essential need.

This said, I do get it that the view could well be there's no point pissing in the wind whilst cutting your nose off too.  If everyone else is taking the coin, who are you harming by taking a moral stance?  I just thought the values of the club might be above this.

I'll say it again, it would have been a lot better to say nothing on this one.  
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
OddShapedBalls
November 16, 2022, 11:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think this is the definition of naming your price.

There's a reason the EFL are chucking money at this competition, it's because it's all they have.  They know, the clubs know, the fans know, everyone knows that this is very much the thin edge of the wedge.  If anyone seriously believes that this competition is accepting Academy sides in the interest of helping out Gareth Southgate then they need their heads testing.

It's a foot in the door to give some sort of credibility to this argument, supported by the likes of Pep flipping Guardiola, that football begins and ends at the bottom of the Premier League and that everything else is just fodder.  If we, as fans and as football clubs, take the crumbs that are offered it just gives justification to the approach.  Collectively we'll have lost our strength and shown that the integrity of the game can be bought, quite cheaply too.  

Next step will be Academy sides in the League Cup, with some bizarre shared player arrangements between senior and Academy sides - it won't make sense but it's not meant to.  We're just meant to enjoy the £100,000 sweetener we get and extra TV revenue because Jack Grealish is likely to play his comeback game, after a few weeks out injured, away at Rochdale.  Reduced tickets will be offered and little-by-little it's actually the games featuring the Academy sides that are the better attended ones.  

Well, if it's propping the competition up in such a way then we probably should start to consider playing more games featuring Liverpool Under 23's and Jay Spearing.  The Championship would be too much though, there's still a fair bit of money at that level and it won't be as cheap to buy them.   Maybe just inserting a few select clubs in League Two. Fitting extra sides in is difficult but enough sides will take a financial gamble on not sitting in the bottom four the season before and dropping into the Conference....Especially if the incentive is good enough.

Promotion will be off the cards, at first, I mean by this stage the whole league system is a flipping farce so promotion probably doesn't even matter.  But eventually the rules will change and before long we'll have a load of Academy second string sides in the second tier of the game.  By now there's a big question mark over why the two different sides from the same club are playing under different organisations....there's also some pretty big clubs also in the Championship too who would bring a lot of fans to the table.  Maybe we should split the leagues out a bit.  How about a Premier League, Premier League 2 and then possibly a third league too.  That way the bigger boys can have a smaller top tier so they only need to worry about playing other big clubs both on the domestic and European stage.

Those two other leagues?  intercourse 'em.  

I'm quite frankly amazed that we haven't seen Citeh buy someone like Rochdale and just play all their youth team and 5th string reserves in it anyway.  After the creative accountancy where previous managers got paid more as 'consultants' to chinese club they also owned than they did to manage Citeh I'm sure they could find a way around dual ownership issues.   Maybe that's how Scunny can be saved, become Man United's youth club ........  I would imagine that is the easiest path to getting prem B teams in, by 'helping' clubs in financial trouble.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
diehardmariner
November 16, 2022, 12:15pm
Vodka Drinker
It's coming isn't it...

You can already see with the likes of City Football Group, who have complete control in clubs in England, Australia, France and Uruguay.  Majority holdings in clubs in the US, Belgium, Italy and India. Plus significant holdings in a Spanish, Japanese and Chinese clubs.  There's also two 'partner clubs', one in Bolivia and a further side in the lower leagues of France.

If that's enough, they're also close to picking up a Brazilian club too which will take their portfolio of clubs to 13.  
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Maringer
November 16, 2022, 12:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think they are currently allowed to own more than one club in any country, are they? Probably the only impediment, which is why they are so eager to get 'B' teams up and running in the League.

I'd imagine they'll pay somebody, somewhere off (probably at the F.A.?) in due course to change the regulations and allow it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
DB
November 16, 2022, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think they are currently allowed to own more than one club in any country, are they? Probably the only impediment, which is why they are so eager to get 'B' teams up and running in the League.

I'd imagine they'll pay somebody, somewhere off (probably at the F.A.?) in due course to change the regulations and allow it.

It's easier than that. They start a new company in the wife's ( or other relation/trusted friend's name ) filter funds into it and hey presto buy who they like. The wife/relation/friend are all regarded as separate legal people, so they are breaking no law.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
diehardmariner
November 16, 2022, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
FA rules are currently that you can't own more than 30% of the shares of another club.

Of course there's always distant cousins who could hold the other 70% if needed.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
promotion plaice
December 3, 2022, 1:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Any news on when this is going to be rearranged for yet? Presume there was a bit of a wait to see if both teams would be free FA Cup 2nd round weekend.

Admitted I'm an old fart and can't remember what I did yesterday but has this game already been played or rearranged, I've still got a ticket?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
golfer
December 3, 2022, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Already played.  Town won a boring game 7-6. Defences on top throughout
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crewe game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.