HertsGTFC
November 5, 2022, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from MarinerWY
Have I Got News for You last night is well worth a watch, Gary Neville was hosting and gets an absolute roasting for taking Qatari money to commentate out there. He absolutely squirmed.

Great watch primarily to see someone rightly called out for being a hypocrite and morally defunct when money is involved, but especially cos its the Salford 'buy success' sharp object Gary Neville

Made me laugh to be honest, but he would have knew it was coming, he’s “marmite” Gary but he’s not thick.

The saddest thing is the world governing body preaches taking the game to new territories and forgets about inclusion when the check books come out? Try

This tournament follows,

Russia - Too many repressions to name, in fact looking at history since the 19th century it feels like it’s in their DNA, away from that a tournament awarded to a dictator.

Brazil - Now there’s another, poor human rights, corruption, severe poverty, poor healthcare etc etc…

I’m sure there’s more examples like Mexico who got it twice in 16 years?

The only way it would change is if the major countries broke away, which will never happen.

I wonder what the Qatari’s legacy pitch looked like?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
sonofmadeleymariner
November 5, 2022, 2:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Made me laugh to be honest, but he would have knew it was coming, he’s “marmite” Gary but he’s not thick.

The saddest thing is the world governing body preaches taking the game to new territories and forgets about inclusion when the check books come out? Try

This tournament follows,

Russia - Too many repressions to name, in fact looking at history since the 19th century it feels like it’s in their DNA, away from that a tournament awarded to a dictator.

Brazil - Now there’s another, poor human rights, corruption, severe poverty, poor healthcare etc etc…

I’m sure there’s more examples like Mexico who got it twice in 16 years?

The only way it would change is if the major countries broke away, which will never happen.

I wonder what the Qatari’s legacy pitch looked like?

I remember with the Brazil one broadcasters were told directly they weren't allowed to show the shanty towns or anything that would negative about Brazil

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
Rick12
November 6, 2022, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

I remember with the Brazil one broadcasters were told directly they weren't allowed to show the shanty towns or anything that would negative about Brazil
I've read similar but more disturbing. Of duty military police targeted and killed Brazilian street children. Sad and shocking.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
mirrorballman
November 6, 2022, 8:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah
The more I think about it, the more it seems the absurdity of this World Cup has only just begun. It was awarded in 2010, which whilst only 12 years ago, is almost light years away from where we are culturally, in the western world at least, now.

Just last week we had foreign secretary James Cleverley not very cleverly advising gay fans to be a little bit less gay, or words to that effect, should they wish to travel to Qatar. In these times, making such comments about how gay people should conduct themselves on these shores would almost be a sackable offence, but I’m not sure what else can he say?

Advising fans to be themselves, only to find they end up getting locked up in their droves for up to 7 years, or even getting the death penalty should they have the audacity to be both gay and Muslim, is not an approach the government can take.

The decision to award Qatar the World Cup looked spectacularly moronic and corrupt in 2010, and it has only aged like milk since then as the values of most of the world has moved on while those in the Persian Gulf remain firmly in the Stone Age. Oh, and I’m not sure what feelings about the deaths of thousands of forced, migrant workers were in 2010, but I think it was least a little bit “uncool”.

Will I watch it? I honestly don’t know. I had similar if less strong feelings about the World Cup in Russia in 2018, only to find it quite enjoyable after they seemingly locked up all their meatheads for a month or at least paid them to keep out of the way. However successful that tournament was, the Russians have of course only showed themselves for what they truly are in the time since.

Two countries world renowned for their own unique brand of barbarism. Spin things how you like, the hosting of the World Cup in such countries has nothing about enlightenment or spreading the love of the beautiful game, it’s about money, corruption and the placating of profoundly evil and archaic regimes.

Actually, fúck it, I think I’ve convinced myself. I won’t be bothering with this shambolic circus of a tournament. The times we are living through are a reminder that there are more important things in life than football; values are possibly more important than ever right now.

This. I'm past all that "I respect that others may choose to watch" as well. Anyone giving this farce or its sponsors the time of day is part of the problem, having a moan about the turd sandwich and scoffing it anyway. Guess what will get served next time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
Abdul19
November 6, 2022, 10:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
Mexico had it twice in 16 years as there was an earthquake in 1986's original pick, Colombia. Not sure there will have been anything dodgy with that.  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
aldi_01
November 6, 2022, 10:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We can talk all we want, the simple fact is our envelopes weren’t as full.

It’s so sad really because the World Cup is amazing but I’m really not excited.

Of course tgat not just because of corruption but the fact we’re mid season and it’s winter when it happens…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
Rick12
November 6, 2022, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

the World Cup is amazing  
If you haven't already Aldi check the current world soccer magazine edition. All about the world cup squad lists , tactical analysis and  interviews with differing journalists worldwide on their  respective teams chances in the world cup. Excellent guide to the tournament.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
aldi_01
November 6, 2022, 11:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Rick12
If you haven't already Aldi check the current world soccer magazine edition. All about the world cup squad lists , tactical analysis and  interviews with differing journalists worldwide on their  respective teams chances in the world cup. Excellent guide to the tournament.

Someone sent me a link to this, need to check it out…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
GYinScuntland
November 6, 2022, 12:08pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from mirrorballman

This. I'm past all that "I respect that others may choose to watch" as well. Anyone giving this farce or its sponsors the time of day is part of the problem, having a moan about the turd sandwich and scoffing it anyway. Guess what will get served next time.

It's a right excrement show and no mistake but blaming innocent football fans who might tune in is taking it a step too far in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
HertsGTFC
November 6, 2022, 1:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
The population of Qatar is similar to that of Greater Manchester so that tells everyone a bit about how this global tournament was awarded.

The next one is in the Canada, USA (again) & Mexico (again) which I kind of see but I only think the USA got involved because they kicked up f**k when it went to Qatar.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Qatar

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.