This thread currently has 3,903 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
November 1, 2022, 10:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

As of 1pm today (Tuesday 1st Nov) Plymouth had sold 329 tickets for Saturday's trip to BP in the FA Cup.

Plenty of tickets also still available in the home areas, not looking good for anything near a sellout against the League One leaders unless there is a late take up.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
November 1, 2022, 10:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from promotion plaice

As of 1pm today (Tuesday 1st Nov) Plymouth had sold 329 tickets for Saturday's trip to BP in the FA Cup.

Plenty of tickets also still available in the home areas, not looking good for anything near a sellout against the League One leaders unless there is a late take up.

Didn’t expect anything like a sell out…first round cup game that, on paper, we should lose…home games coming thick and fast, people will prioritise…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
November 1, 2022, 11:53pm
Guest User
I went to Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth in this competition last season as a Brentford friend from Plymouth wanted to go to it. Sunday lunchtime kick off and on TV so I think 400-500 Argyle fans travelled. A good showing considering. Having said that it was only £10 entry.

I don't think it was possible to make the KO at Hillsborough by train and its certainly impossible this Saturday.

I completed the Town fan survey and one of my comments regarding possible improvements was that I thought we were out of step with pricing for cup games, certainly for the early rounds. Only my opinion though.

Many clubs seem to heavily discount cup tickets with some calling it a 'thank you' to regular fans. Doncaster is always a tenner and £5 for 60+. Sheffield United were always cheap too. My Donny friends were really taken aback at our pricing for the league cup game against them a few years ago.  They still remind me about it!
Reply: 2 - 22
aldi_01
November 2, 2022, 3:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from 800
I went to Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth in this competition last season as a Brentford friend from Plymouth wanted to go to it. Sunday lunchtime kick off and on TV so I think 400-500 Argyle fans travelled. A good showing considering. Having said that it was only £10 entry.

I don't think it was possible to make the KO at Hillsborough by train and its certainly impossible this Saturday.

I completed the Town fan survey and one of my comments regarding possible improvements was that I thought we were out of step with pricing for cup games, certainly for the early rounds. Only my opinion though.

Many clubs seem to heavily discount cup tickets with some calling it a 'thank you' to regular fans. Doncaster is always a tenner and £5 for 60+. Sheffield United were always cheap too. My Donny friends were really taken aback at our pricing for the league cup game against them a few years ago.  They still remind me about it!

I don’t disagree but being a cup game, both sides have to agree the price so for all we know it may have been a suggestion. It’s rare I defend the previous regime but I do know on several occasions early cup rounds have been discounted in the past but again, both sides have had to agree.

Aside from other factors like cost of living, a large amount of home games in the next few weeks and interest in the cup waning, it isn’t a glamour tie. I know they’re arguably the best team in the cup at present but they’re from the other end of the country and the game just likely doesn’t appeal to the floating fan.

I do think the fact folk don’t have much spare cash is a factor though.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
lukeo
November 2, 2022, 6:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Expect around 4,000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
denni266
November 2, 2022, 6:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Not going . watch enough of hurst`s 10 man defence and, one on his own keeping their keeper company
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 2, 2022, 7:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
I must confess, I have better things to do this Saturday then watch Taylor play on his own against four defenders, thats not a dig at Taylor who works hard, we just need a plan B.
UTM

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
November 2, 2022, 7:35am
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01

I don’t disagree but being a cup game, both sides have to agree the price so for all we know it may have been a suggestion. It’s rare I defend the previous regime but I do know on several occasions early cup rounds have been discounted in the past but again, both sides have had to agree.

Aside from other factors like cost of living, a large amount of home games in the next few weeks and interest in the cup waning, it isn’t a glamour tie. I know they’re arguably the best team in the cup at present but they’re from the other end of the country and the game just likely doesn’t appeal to the floating fan.

I do think the fact folk don’t have much spare cash is a factor though.

It may be that Plymouth didn't agree a price reduction but they certainly must have last season.

I think the cost of living will be having an impact as you say. Watching EFL football isn't a cheap hobby. I do a good number of away games but take my hat off to those who don't miss any.

If Plymouth bring 300 to 400 then that is a great effort. I shouldn't think they thought of us as a great tie either!

Reply: 7 - 22
Son of Cod
November 2, 2022, 7:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Plymouth have great fans and followings considering the distances the have to travel. Wouldn't begrudge them not selling loads for an FA Cup 1st Round tie away at our place personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
DB
November 2, 2022, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
The expectation is that Plymouth should win, so it won't excite the Plymouth fans to make a few hundred-mile round trip, nor will it excite the Town fans given their last 2 performances.

A few home games are coming up and so is Christmas so the money will more than likely be tight.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saturday's attendance against Plymouth

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.