November 10, 2022, 4:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Jobs for the boys…or girls?

Or alternatively happened to be the person who fit an existing team ethic, is a known quantity and proven to work well with you? There are no quibbles when a manager brings their backroom team with them as they are a successful fit, why should the commercial and business side be any different?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
PoutonStepover
November 10, 2022, 4:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Has the new Head of Commercial managed to actually call our existing sponsors yet? Hopefully she's found a few companies that would be willing to pay for 12 of the vacant advertising hoardings...

Speaking as the owner of a company that has committed circa £10,000 in sponsorship revenue to the club over the past 3 seasons...

I have had zero calls from the club since Dave Smith left his position, but I did receive a (rather badly punctuated) email from Jo Taylor this week, offering advertising on the club calendar.

Regarding the vacant hoardings - I have asked on numerous occasions about the vacant spots but have always been told they are already spoken for, and that repair works are being undertaken on the frames.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
pizzzza
November 10, 2022, 4:54pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from KingsleysHair

Think you’re confused. It wasn’t the person in question who took to Twitter, it was a close friend of hers.

Either, the close friend had a public grumble with that person's blessing/request

Or...

The close friend did it behind the person's back (some friend...)
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
jamesgtfc
November 10, 2022, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from PoutonStepover

Speaking as the owner of a company that has committed circa £10,000 in sponsorship revenue to the club over the past 3 seasons...

I have had zero calls from the club since Dave Smith left his position, but I did receive a (rather badly punctuated) email from Jo Taylor this week, offering advertising on the club calendar.

Regarding the vacant hoardings - I have asked on numerous occasions about the vacant spots but have always been told they are already spoken for, and that repair works are being undertaken on the frames.

Thank you for confirming my "snide comment" is true. We are constantly told that the club belongs to us and as such, those that work for it are accountable to not only the board, but also to us.

This lack of communication with existing sponsors from the Head of Commercial is a huge concern, especially now it is coming to light that she is a friend of the CEO. That's potentially nepotism and I know I sound like a hypocrite having ranted about the Project Manager job but at least that person has a track record with all the things they've done for this club to deserve a go at the paid role.

I'm not for one second blaming Jason and Andrew here because they can't possibly oversee everything.

If commercial sponsors aren't being contacted and receiving poorly written letters, do you think they will spend their money with our club next year?

Also it's the middle of November and we have only just got round to thinking about what business names to print on our calendar. I best scribble off that calendar off my Christmas list...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
MuddyWaters
November 10, 2022, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Thank you for confirming my "snide comment" is true. We are constantly told that the club belongs to us and as such, those that work for it are accountable to not only the board, but also to us.

This lack of communication with existing sponsors from the Head of Commercial is a huge concern, especially now it is coming to light that she is a friend of the CEO. That's potentially nepotism and I know I sound like a hypocrite having ranted about the Project Manager job but at least that person has a track record with all the things they've done for this club to deserve a go at the paid role.

I'm not for one second blaming Jason and Andrew here because they can't possibly oversee everything.

If commercial sponsors aren't being contacted and receiving poorly written letters, do you think they will spend their money with our club next year?

Also it's the middle of November and we have only just got round to thinking about what business names to print on our calendar. I best scribble off that calendar off my Christmas list...

None of my business how they run the club but some talented and experienced people have left the building.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
jamesgtfc
November 10, 2022, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

September 13 2022:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/gdVZAKq.png[/img]

November 8 2022:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7u1v7lU.png[/img]

You can actually check this stuff before coming on here making snide insinuations about club employees you know.

The new employer of the old Commercial guy is hardly sponsorship deal of the century.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
HerveJosse
November 10, 2022, 8:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You have changed your tune since a year ago when I pointed all was not well behind the scenes in dealing with corporate and accounting matters and you told me the new owners were capable of walking on water and any  questioning of anything was a heinous crime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
jamesgtfc
November 10, 2022, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

You have changed your tune since a year ago when I pointed all was not well behind the scenes in dealing with corporate and accounting matters and you told me the new owners were capable of walking on water and any  questioning of anything was a heinous crime.

You have to give things time. I think Jason and Andrew are well intentioned people. The footballing side seems progressive but the recent departures are well liked staff which is concerning given how close together they have all gone.

The point of having discussions and an open mind is that, over time, our opinions can change.

The commercial arm of a football club is so important. I have no idea how many calendars we sell at Christmas but I would guess it's normally a lot more than we sell this year. Who is going to take responsibility for that own goal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
RichMariner
November 10, 2022, 10:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
The Head of Commercial role is a massive role. There's lots to do. You can't afford to switch off for a day.

I get the feeling that 1878 believe we're nowhere close to achieving our potential through this stream.

As for Jo potentially being known by DC, let's be honest, that's not unusual. At my company there's a referral scheme whereby you get a little bonus if you recommend someone for a role and they get it. That's not uncommon. It's why social media networks like LinkedIn exist. Good people know good people.

Clearly, there are a lot of views on how our club is run, and the backroom staff who run it. But let's be honest: we're a far better run club now than two years ago. We're getting lost in the minutiae here. Just step back a bit, consider how far we've moved on with pitch improvements, training facilities, online tickets, food at the ground... we've seen more investment in these last 18 months than the last 18 years.

Not everyone is going to come into these roles and knock it out of the park from day one. This club was a shambles and I imagine it takes a bit more time to bring those parts back to parity, let alone impress.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
MarinerDevil
November 10, 2022, 10:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Genuine question: isn't the person who was overlooked for the role a board member?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Heritage fund project manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.