Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 271 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 9,568 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
October 26, 2022, 5:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
I only managed to catch the last half an hour of the game through being at work but that half hour was so hard to watch. I don't think I recall a time we've been as poor as that. We had a corner in the first few minutes of me tuning in but I don't think I recall us actually play a single pass in the final third for the rest of the game. Clifton dribbled in and had a shot from distance and the ball got lumped up for Canavan to head clear a few times.

I was at Wealdstone last year and that was a poor showing but this topped it by far. For me, what makes it worse is the fantastic performance we had on Saturday. Granted enforced changes will change the momentum a little but to be at polar opposites in performance in just a few days is hard to take. As someone else mentioned, hopefully this isn't going to be history repeating itself. I have trust in PH and the team that they'll pick themselves up get back to it again in quick time, hopefully at Hartlepool on Saturday as I have quite a few Hartlepool supporting mates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 78
Mariner93er
October 26, 2022, 8:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Last night also showed why Kiernan is more important to us than some believe. He really stretches the game which we never did at any point last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
Rick12
October 26, 2022, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from always grimsby
Saturday must have took a lot out of us
Not the easiest place to go on on Tuesday night
But we deserved nothing out of the game
Yes a Saturday  then Tuesday game can take it out of some players more than others .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
October 26, 2022, 9:04am
Guest User
Quoted from Rick12
Yes a Saturday  then Tuesday game can take it out of some players more than others .

It was exactly the same for them.  They were away at Gillingham on Saturday, a longer road trip than ours last night.
Reply: 33 - 78
devs
October 26, 2022, 9:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
I think PH admitted (in so many words) he got it wrong last night
Should have made 2/3 changes - but tbh would any of us rested Holohan, Harry, Green after Saturday?
He also lost Orsi and JMD in training; Morris only played 45 after a few weeks out
Taylor looked a little jaded and Khan was ineffective

He prefers a 4411 and with that in mind I don't think we have anyone who can play the Taylor role among the subs

Harry at LB and bring Hunt into midfield would have been least disruptive

All in all a bad night at the office - so many were just off it

Go again Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
diehardmariner
October 26, 2022, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Just really, really poor all round (Crocombe aside).  Unbalance for sure but that doesn't account for losing every battle on the pitch and every second ball.  

What worked so well on Saturday (and for all of our better performances this season) was simply having more energy than the opposition.  Last night we didn't have that, despite packing the side with high-energy players.  

Long journey, quick turnaround, all of that yeah let's consider it.  But as Herve points out Barrow had a monster journey on Saturday.  Need to figure out what went wrong, dust ourselves down and go again on Sat.  

That league table via Twitter is interesting, but really should have beat Bradford.  Swindon and Northampton far from outclassed us and against Orient we looked a side that had less pre-season than everyone else (which was the case).  It's fine margins but I don't think it's a case that we're only capable against the lesser sides of the division.  

Still feel we're in a very good position for this point of the season.  Let's take it as a wake up call against complacency.  
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
Rick12
October 26, 2022, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

It was exactly the same for them.  They were away at Gillingham on Saturday, a longer road trip than ours last night.

Didnt realise about them .Thanks. Maybe there manager used squad rotation which in hindsight Hurst should of done ?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
ginnywings
October 26, 2022, 9:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
We are doing ok, establishing a foothold in League 2 but there will be setbacks. Barrow out Grimsby'ed us it seems and did to us what we have done to others.

I think we are still developing as a side in the EFL and most would have been happy with where we are right now. We have shown we can compete and what is evident is that without a bit more guile and firepower, we are a little behind the teams immediately above us. We have matched them, but not had the goals to get better results.

That is the problem PH and the board have to solve for us to move into the higher reaches of the league and it will need looking at in Jan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
Rick12
October 26, 2022, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
We are doing ok, establishing a foothold in League 2 but there will be setbacks. Barrow out Grimsby'ed us it seems and did to us what we have done to others.

I think we are still developing as a side in the EFL and most would have been happy with where we are right now. We have shown we can compete and what is evident is that without a bit more guile and firepower, we are a little behind the teams immediately above us. We have matched them, but not had the goals to get better results.

That is the problem PH and the board have to solve for us to move into the higher reaches of the league and it will need looking at in Jan.
Fair points Ginny. To be fair to Hurst and the players Iam pleasantly surprised at where Grimsby are at this moment in the season .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 78
OddShapedBalls
October 26, 2022, 9:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Poor game, but in a long season they will happen.  The only important stats after that game are that it's a 3 point gap to the play offs and a 13 point gap to the relegation battle.  If we'd been offered that after 15 games pre-season I'd have snapped your hand off.

As long as we finish 10th or better we will be able to attract more talent next season and go from there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.