Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 12,444 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 8, 2022, 5:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Strange old game that. They seemed so much more comfortable on the ball than we did; retained possession well, had some skilful players, but never really looked threatening, apart from a couple of moments.

We harried and chased and never let up, but we kept giving them the ball back for them to weave pretty patterns and get nowhere, while we scored three excellent goals, all left footed finishes, with the pick being the first from Glennon which left their keeper rooted to the spot.

Despite the win and the goals, the game never really got that exciting and there wasn't much noise from the home crowd.

Great win all the same and we kept a clean sheet which was a bonus. Tough to pick an outright man of the match, but Glennon, Clifton and Holohan all played well, as did Smith again. Efete looks hesitant and caused a bit of kerfuffle a couple of times with indecision and I still don't know what Kiernan bring to the table. He seems to make the wrong decision more often than not to me.

We are off and running at home.
Logged Online
Private Message
blundellpork
October 8, 2022, 5:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Despite winning 3-0, I thought the performance was very poor. Our inability to retain possession is surely deliberate. Far too many 50/50 balls punted to Taylor, or put into channels, and far too few instances of any pass and move.

Entirely forgettable, and on to the next one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 79
MuddyWaters
October 8, 2022, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Strange old game that. They seemed so much more comfortable on the ball than we did; retained possession well, had some skilful players, but never really looked threatening, apart from a couple of moments.

We harried and chased and never let up, but we kept giving them the ball back for them to weave pretty patterns and get nowhere, while we scored three excellent goals, all left footed finishes, with the pick being the first from Glennon which left their keeper rooted to the spot.

Despite the win and the goals, the game never really got that exciting and there wasn't much noise from the home crowd.

Great win all the same and we kept a clean sheet which was a bonus. Tough to pick an outright man of the match, but Glennon, Clifton and Holohan all played well, as did Smith again. Efete looks hesitant and caused a bit of kerfuffle a couple of times with indecision and I still don't know what Kiernan bring to the table. He seems to make the wrong decision more often than not to me.

We are off and running at home.

Agree with most of that. Kiernan sort of shows why he was allowed out on loan, he doesn’t have an end product nor does he get close enough to Taylor.

I think Crocombe deserves a mention, one terrific save and, in general, in command of his area. Harry my MoM.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 79
lukeo
October 8, 2022, 5:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,421
Gold Stars: 149
Very well put(better than how I wrote it). Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 79
LH
October 8, 2022, 5:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Not convincing by any means but a win and a clean sheet is all we’ll remember in May.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 79
Quagmire
October 8, 2022, 5:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
MOM:  Their keeper, thought he had a cracking game for us today 👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 79
mariner tommy
October 8, 2022, 5:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from LH
Not convincing by any means but a win and a clean sheet is all we’ll remember in May.

Spot on, but Holohan, Clifton, Khan and Glennon made the difference. All played very well with my MOM split between Glennon and Holohan.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 79
Mayaman
October 8, 2022, 5:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Ver odd game. Their disallowed goal and Taylor's goal could have come out of a football sitcom.   MOM was hard to say.  Crocombe for his save.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 79
rancido
October 8, 2022, 6:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,661
Gold Stars: 102
Kiernan doesn't add anything to the team. IMO Effete was poor - very hesitant, ball watching and caught out of position several times. I only hope that when Cropper is fit he is given as much time as Effete has been given to justify his place. I think Cropper is a better defender and deserves an extended run when he is fit.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 79
Mariner_09
October 8, 2022, 6:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Agreed with Hursty. We didn’t play very well in H1 but were very comfortable after the second went in, they then looked like a side low on confidence at the bottom of the league. Even in the first half they didn’t really get near our goal despite their possession, even their ghost goal was ably created by us not them!

Thought Holohan was excellent, he looks so much fitter this year. Harry is now nailing down a spot in the middle of the park, he must be delighted. Taylor’s influence should indisputable, he was very good again today. I don’t really see why Keirnan keeps getting picked. Yes he’s good at tracking back and running at players but his quality and vision is severely lacking. Early in the second half we had two men over with him running and he either couldn’t see or didn’t back himself to make the pass as one of them would’ve been in if he’d made the ball. Glennon was pretty ordinary apart from that wonderful free kick, which was top drawer no doubt.

Next week will be a tough game, they’ve won at Bradford today, which is an excellent result and may be getting up and running, then it’s a massive test against Bradford. It’s a tough League no doubt, all the sides are difficult to differing degrees.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 79
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.