Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 234 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 8,204 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
September 14, 2022, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Mandron was a handful as well. I thought we got outmuscled a bit at times which is a rarity and it just felt flat on the pitch and in the stands. Still think there is a challenge to just find the right balance. Playing Richardson closer to Taylor is great but we missed a third man in the middle I thought.

Everyone seems to agree Morris and Holohan weren't at their best but maybe they just needed a bit more help. I wondered if a third centre mid to help them might have meant we didn't need Clifton's endeavour and maybe Richardson could have played off the left but looking to tuck in close to Taylor when he could. Do think Hurst has been considerably better this time around at solving these kind of problems and he's certainly got options in the squad.

Mandrom was essentially the sort of player who I was hoping we'd bring in.

Yes, he was very physical and downright aggressive but he gave our CB's more to worry about than anyone else has all season. Adelukan and Green also looked like they would be significant upgrades on what we have. In other words, I think they're an awful lot better than their league position suggests and I expect them to catapult up the league now.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
pontoonlew
September 14, 2022, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Hagrid

the bloke who spent half his time on his bottom? thought he was shite, quick and that was it

He got in behind Glennon 3 times in 45 mins yesterday, more than both of our wingers managed in 90. One he put in a ball across the goal which should’ve been put away, one he should’ve done better with and the other he was turned down what looked like a pen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Hagrid
September 14, 2022, 11:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,522
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from pontoonlew

He got in behind Glennon 3 times in 45 mins yesterday, more than both of our wingers managed in 90. One he put in a ball across the goal which should’ve been put away, one he should’ve done better with and the other he was turned down what looked like a pen.

that was Adelukan who drifted over to the right side.

agree regarding the pen though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
HerveJosse
September 14, 2022, 12:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from Hagrid

that was Adelukan who drifted over to the right side.

agree regarding the pen though.

I think that was Green the number 22 who was a constant danger in the second half though at it been windy he would have struggled to stay on his feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
quebec38
September 14, 2022, 12:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Not a very good performance at all, but a bit of an anomaly so not worth a huge inquest or any type of OTT reaction. As frustrating as it is, it happens.

Didn’t deserve to win the match last night but we definitely have it in us to beat the likes of Gillingham. Very disjointed performance from too many - couldn’t string two passes together for most of the game.

Worst thing for me was I felt we could have given Orsi a go last night for the last 15 at least. I fancy he could have got around the 6 yard box for one of those crosses fizzed across the goal.

I know we have a strong squad now and players are going to be disappointed to miss out on the 18, but I still think JMD is one of our best 18 players so he really should be on the bench at worst.

Also, the crowd seemed really quiet but I guess we weren’t left with much to make any noise about.

… and it was a nice touch having Lloyd sing before the game. I thought he did a great job.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
TownSNAFU5
September 14, 2022, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Our passing was below par last night.  Too many first time flicks which did not come off.

Gillingham were a lot better than their record suggested.  I liked their inventive free kick just after HT from their right hand side,  everybody expecting a cross into the box.  They played it to the right wing and a fast low cross came in right across our goal. We could easily hav conceded.

Without McAtee we needed more invention to break them down.  We were struggling a bit before the late subs came on, who did not really improve things.  Hunt was bundled to the ground off the ball.

Maybe we miss McAtee more at home, than away,   when we should or are expected to take the game to the opposition.

Overall, a good start to the season with a game in hand and injured players to come back.  And above highly-fancied Stockport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
pen penfras
September 14, 2022, 6:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think that was Green the number 22 who was a constant danger in the second half though at it been windy he would have struggled to stay on his feet.

He was like Kiernan, looked really good until he tried to pass and it was poor every time. He was fouled off the pitch, which I don't know what happens in that situation. The other one wasn't a penalty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
WelwynGardener
September 14, 2022, 7:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
Every so often we need a reality check, and this was one of those occasions. A game we might have won with a little more luck, but one we could have lost too, with some hair-raising escapes in and around our box.
Perhaps the most memorable thing for me last night was the impeccable silence during the minute of respect for our deceased Queen. You could have heard a pin drop! Having been in Scotland last Thursday when she died, I have been a 'bag of emotions' ever since. The rousing chorus of the national anthem at BP was also quite stunning. Great credit to the 6000 who attended last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
barralad
September 14, 2022, 9:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Nothing much to add to what's been said. I'm probably Smith's greatest fan but their big lad gave him a really tough time in the first half.
I might have missed it but don't recall seeing Waterfall's name in the credits list. For me he was immense-summed up by one minute after coming back on with a bandaged covered head he thumped a header in.
The silence before the game and Lloyd's rendition of God Save The King was probably the most moving event I've ever seen at B.P.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
Stranger in the Park
September 15, 2022, 10:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -187
Gold Stars: 7
My reading of the games so far is that we have lost the cohesiveness of last season- probably due to the inclusion of too many new players at the same time. Glennon has yet to convince me that Amos should be omitted, especially as Amos delivered so many accurate balls for Waterfall last season but has not been repeated as yet this season. The midfield looks to be a bit tame and not setting my emotions on fire. As I've stated in previous posts fourth division football is not pleasing to the eye in general and Gillingham are a classic example of the rough and tumble style to be expected. Most definitely, we will see more of this type of match, and hopefully, Hurst will adopt a more aggressive approach. Pearson used to thrive on this sort of play yet seems out of favour currently. It's a long season and there's plenty of time-and players- to make positive adjustments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.