Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 8,201 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
September 13, 2022, 10:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Flat tonight. Crowd expectant rather than excited, which left a really dull atmosphere.

Thought we really struggled to get going and it's not often we are outmuscled. Young lad up front tried hard but ran out of steam. The lad who replaced him looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Still a point when we played excrement is not too bad. Haven't quite clicked at home but I am sure we will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
petethemariner
September 13, 2022, 10:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think most realistic Town supporters  are delighted with the return this season, 1 defeat in 7,  twelve points, and a game in hand with  the play off teams at this early stage, however i feel the only worry is the continuing lack of spark in the final third, which  is shown by 7 goals in as many games, OK we have Mc Atee to come back, but its going to take a while for him to reach peak performance, so i would think his input probably wont be felt this year and lets face it, come the end of the season he isnt our player anymore either, its worrying that during his time with us ,his absences coincides with a dry up of goals, we have good attacking players, but something is missing in the 'chemistry that McAtee brings, its a puzzle we have to solve sooner rather than later if we are going to continue the fantastic momerntum of the past few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
ginnywings
September 13, 2022, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I get why people are disappointed, but I don't think they are giving enough credit to Gillingham, who were better than I thought they would be and to a certain extent made us look poor by being better than us for the majority of the game.

What we have though, is never say die attitude and that spirit got us something from the game, whereas teams of old would have rolled over and lost that.

We are new to the league, have a big squad and it will take time to figure out who and what works best for us. I'm not sure if the change to 2 up top has been a success yet.

Early days and we are 6 unbeaten. Just a pity all the draws have been in front of the home fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
aldi_01
September 13, 2022, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Was a bit of a nothing game in the end and whilst we had chances, they’d argue they had a couple of good ones too. Not sure anyone deserved to win.

Smith immense again, Richardson looks a player and I suspect it’s only a matter of time before someone makes way for Hunt.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
moosey_club
September 13, 2022, 10:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Extremely frustrating evening......shape and possibly personnel not right, real lack of width throughout, two up front but hardly any service to them.
Kiernan first half seem to be tucked inside , Richardson busy quick footed but nowhere near the goal,  Taylor struggled to do anything really , partly service partly having a bigger man on his back and zero sympathy from the ref. At least he bundled home the goal which from the Pontoon was virtually impossible to see how it evolved.
Their goal I didn't see as a foul in real time so no immediate complaints.
Very surprised not to see a sub at half time for us as we just didn't look convincing at all...even more surprised it took so long to bring one on...we had the purple patch but never threatened the goal, needed to change it up. Can't argue with any of the subs made but sadly they didn't really improve us, if anything we  started to lose ground rather than gain it.
They finished the more likely to win and I wholly expected them to nick it, thankfully the assistant raised his flag.
Poor night all round but we took a point.
As others have said the midfield conundrum will need solving and actual wide players to be considered for wide positions.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Mrbump53
September 13, 2022, 11:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Thought we were unlucky not to win but also lucky not to lose at the end. Frustrating play at times and good at times. Subs were too late to have any real effect and the usual standard of referee!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
HarrogateMariner
September 13, 2022, 11:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
By no means a brilliant performance, but I don't think we were as bad as some are making out. I suspect Gillingham will finish a lot higher up than their current position, think Harris out did Hurst tactically tonight, and Hurst doesn't get out done very often.
Games like these we would have lost 2 seasons ago, so a point isn't bad in the end but completely understand and expect that we should be far better at home. Think we were too open in the middle, and should have switched to 451, but on the flip side that would then be seen as negative to some. We just never seemed to be in control.
Got to say I don't think it was Smiths best game by a long way. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player but far away from man of the match for me. Also thought Efete had a decent game and was better than Glennon who I don't think has hit the high levels we were expecting yet.
All in all another point and another game unbeaten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Nutsy
September 13, 2022, 11:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
I thought Glennon, aside from a couple of dreadful crosses/corners, was decent as was Clifton.

We just had no connection from midfield to Taylor, and they won everything in the middle of the park.

Would like to see Hunt start at the weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
golfer
September 13, 2022, 11:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I normally leave 2 minutes from the end but stayed to the very end hoping Holohan would eventually find one of our players with a pass - it was not to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 13, 2022, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Strong first five minutes, high press quick passing and plenty of movement, get the early goal and then …..? Not sure what happened after that but Gillingham were certainly the better side for most of the game and despite a decent 15 minute spell in the second half where we put together 3 or 4 quality moves we rarely threatened their goal. Disappointed that Orsi didn’t get a run out as we need someone to get on the end of those two or three crosses that fizzed across their box and I’m a little surprised the loanee came on before he did. Richardson had a bright start and obviously has quick feet but not surprisingly he hasn’t yet got the physical strength to hold defenders off and he faded badly second half and probably should have been subbed much earlier.

As others have said probably Clifton’s worst game for a while, some really poor passing wasting some very decent situations, and he was not the only one to suffer in that way. Wouldn’t argue with Smith as MOM and finally another poor referee who couldn’t keep up with play but in all honesty he was consistently crap for both teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.