GtfcGarner
September 9, 2022, 1:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Phil the cod

Primark and sports direct will be busier than usual tomorrow then.
Don't worry knuckle dragging racists........wetherspoons will still be open.

How do you come to the conclusion that people are racists as they are drunk off fixtures have been cancelled because of this?
I understand the sympathy that the Queen has died but it's no different than any other human being passing away. Forcing others into mourning is a dystopian outlook on how people want you to react forcing it down your throat of how YOU should be feeling. Some people absolutely love the royal family, others despise them and some like me just think it's time to abolish it all together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Croxton
September 9, 2022, 1:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Kris2

We don't have a President, we have a Prime Minister and a parliament that runs the country. The monarchy exists as a very expensive figurehead for diplomacy and tourism purposes as most of their actual powers as Head of State and such have been removed with them remaining as ceremonial roles, or are you assuming somebody would need to replace that job? I'm not sure where I suggested anything you're asking but I'm assuming calling the UK, Great Britain and Northern Ireland is difficult for you? Most Presidents in countries that have them don't stay in office until they die so I'd imagine funerals would not be a big issue and are usually more private affairs.

I'm sure the country would manage if the people who actually do those jobs were doing them with no ceremonial figurehead and we could survive not being called a kingdom.

I share your confidence that a new constitution could be engineered over time and that we could survive not being a kingdom. I hope you would agree that evolution is preferable to revolution and that the management of that change could be tricky given the binary nature of public debate nowadays.
I have no issue with GB and NI but I sense that a reduction in the ceremonial role is more likely than scrapping the Monarchy via a referendum. We have enough on our plate economically and a better starting point would be to replace the House of Lords with a smaller and elected body.
Your point about funerals is well made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
mimma
September 9, 2022, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
There is a debate regarding abolishing the monarchy, but what would we get in its place? I look at USA and their presidency and think, " no thank you" .
Our monarchy is what make us British, it has its faults, but christ think of president Boris, or Truss. I know which I'd rather have.
Long live the King!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 9, 2022, 2:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
A united Ireland will happen eventually. The crossover between Catholic and Protestant dominance in the population is close (or has perhaps already occurred). Sectarianism is still in effect but religiosity is falling and the ongoing Brexit shitshow is changing attitudes of many protestants as well. Don't forget that NI voted remain.

Truss was gearing up to trigger Article 16 which will only lead to a trade war with the EU (which the UK will lose, handily), so that would badly impact the NI economy which is the only constituent part of the UK to have any growth since Brexit as it is nominally part of the EU. If the special trading relationship with the EU goes, their economy is down in the crapper again.

I'm not talking about reunification occurring overnight, but as our economy weakens and Ireland begins to appear stronger in comparison, it will only be a matter of time. Perhaps just a decade or two.

No no no no and yet another no

Not every single catholic WANTS a united ireland! Sinn Fein are (although no one is in stormont) power sharing with the DUP. There won’t be a single majority held and MLA’s can’t force issues through that aren’t agreed by both sides.

Many catholics (and Protestants) live in areas where they would not be able to pay for things such has education, medical needs and tax. There would be nowhere near the amount of health/social welfare care that is currently given by the uk.

On article 16, it’s way over my head and I have literally no understanding of what it entails. All I know is that Jeffrey Donaldson (DUP leader) won’t step foot in Stormont until answers are given.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Manchester Mariner
September 9, 2022, 2:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Croxton

We have enough on our plate economically and a better starting point would be to replace the House of Lords with a smaller and elected body.

Agree with replacing the house of Lords with a smaller and elected set up. I can't see it happening mind what with Boris Johnson about to flood it with the likes of his own dad, Nadine Dorries and the previous editor of the Daily Mail. Plus they've talked about the house of Lords being moved to York, supposedly as part of the levelling up/Northern powerhouse BS. That's just what all us poor Northerners want after all.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
HerveJosse
September 9, 2022, 2:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
It’s off! The end.
In the last year we have games called off for wind ,rain and end of reign.
Get over it and get back to being a football forum please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Grimsby2012
September 9, 2022, 3:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from fishcake63
Listen here plebs your enjoyment stops till after the funeral in the meantime get to work this funeral needs your taxes , in so many words this 👆

You forget that the Queen has brought in billions from tourism over the years. Far more than her funeral will cost.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
September 9, 2022, 5:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

President of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, perhaps? I'd imagine NI would reunify with the Republic which would make sense for them.

A President's funeral would be a sombre, mostly private affair which wouldn't get more than a brief mention in the news of the day. It would cost a miniscule fraction of the loss to the economy of a public holiday.

I'm pretty sure that the Protestants of NI would be very unhappy about that.
Reply: 27 - 33
GrimRob
September 9, 2022, 9:59pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Grimsby2012

You forget that the Queen has brought in billions from tourism over the years. Far more than her funeral will cost.

Billions of people will be watching, have already watched, the wall-to-wall coverage on TV channels across the world this week and next. Will be a knock-on effect for years in tourism.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 33
thefish
September 9, 2022, 10:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Has she? The Pharoahs are long gone but many people still visit the pyramids…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomorrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.