aldi_01
September 9, 2022, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Tell me what you know about the ins and outs of a united ireland. Tell me how you think that everyone in Northern Ireland wants it to be united? And how would it make sense?

He’s not saying it would but the point still stands…

Elected President, simple really isn’t it? Not entirely sure anyone needs a name change…although I guess we’d have to give back all the stuff we stole…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Maringer
September 9, 2022, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
A united Ireland will happen eventually. The crossover between Catholic and Protestant dominance in the population is close (or has perhaps already occurred). Sectarianism is still in effect but religiosity is falling and the ongoing Brexit shitshow is changing attitudes of many protestants as well. Don't forget that NI voted remain.

Truss was gearing up to trigger Article 16 which will only lead to a trade war with the EU (which the UK will lose, handily), so that would badly impact the NI economy which is the only constituent part of the UK to have any growth since Brexit as it is nominally part of the EU. If the special trading relationship with the EU goes, their economy is down in the crapper again.

I'm not talking about reunification occurring overnight, but as our economy weakens and Ireland begins to appear stronger in comparison, it will only be a matter of time. Perhaps just a decade or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
September 9, 2022, 11:33am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,482
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Maringer
A united Ireland will happen eventually.
Yes, and Scunthorpe United will win a game again, but I can’t see either in my lifetime

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Croxton
September 9, 2022, 11:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35

Where in his comment is he suggesting the UK should have a different name? Also, what's the president got to do with anything?!  

He’s been vitriolic about the royals across several threads so I was curious what he would prefer. Keeping the United Kingdom is problematic for a republic. We don’t have a written constitution so one would have to be conjured up as our Monarchy goes through the managed slim down under Charles 111. rd.

To be clear, I think cancelling lots of Sport is OTT and mourning is a personal matter which should not be managed by Govt. I believe however, most people would expect a good send off for the Queen after 70 years.

Demographics mean that the political pendulum will swing over the next 5-10 years so constitutional issues will rise to the fore. I think the House of Lords will be reformed/ replaced before the Monarchy. If Charles is sensible, he will lead the process rather than just react to events.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
TownSNAFU5
September 9, 2022, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Weekend football fixtures postponed for PL and EFL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
September 9, 2022, 12:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
[quote=43]A united Ireland will happen eventually.

Obviously never been down the Shankhill.
Good luck with that

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Kris2
September 9, 2022, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Croxton

Who would you have as president, what would our 'UK' be called and how much would a President's funeral cost?

We don't have a President, we have a Prime Minister and a parliament that runs the country. The monarchy exists as a very expensive figurehead for diplomacy and tourism purposes as most of their actual powers as Head of State and such have been removed with them remaining as ceremonial roles, or are you assuming somebody would need to replace that job? I'm not sure where I suggested anything you're asking but I'm assuming calling the UK, Great Britain and Northern Ireland is difficult for you? Most Presidents in countries that have them don't stay in office until they die so I'd imagine funerals would not be a big issue and are usually more private affairs.

I'm sure the country would manage if the people who actually do those jobs were doing them with no ceremonial figurehead and we could survive not being called a kingdom.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
mimma
September 9, 2022, 12:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
The queens powers have not been removed, she chooses not to use them. If she chose to start a war on her own then she could, without any intervention from parliament. She had absolute power but let the politicians run things because she believed in democracy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
Maringer
September 9, 2022, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189

Obviously never been down the Shankhill.
Good luck with that

I have, actually.

Saw a rough-looking middle-aged guy wearing a dress and drinking out of a bottle of whisky at the side of the road. It was very peculiar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Phil the cod
September 9, 2022, 1:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Weekend football fixtures postponed for PL and EFL.

Primark and sports direct will be busier than usual tomorrow then.
Don't worry knuckle dragging racists........wetherspoons will still be open.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomorrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.