Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to Push On....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 269 Guests

Time to Push On....

This thread currently has 3,471 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Corkyefes
September 2, 2022, 1:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Now the transfer window has shut, I'm happy with the business Hurst has done in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I would of been delighted to take a punt on someone who's scored a few goals in the league below, ie Dallas, but sometimes that's not always possible due to various reasons.
However I am happy that Hurst has brought in a few younger players, with a decent youth pedigree, who may want to prove a point.

I would like to see Hurst be abit more positive, especially at home, by playing two up front.

Pepple in the last few appearances has shown some promise, especially in his movement and hold up play and if he works on that more, he could become a good asset to us.
Unfortunately for me that pushes Taylor down the pecking line. Taylor does well for his capabilities, but his energy and movement up top, for me has been one of our issues, especially when he plays.

I would expect/like to see a couple going out on loan, such as Khouri, Essel, Braithwaite etc and potentially even players like JMD, as I cannot see him getting much game time personally.

Newport will be a tough game and I appreciate we may play slightly defensive, however for our next home game against Crewe, I would like to see the below line up:

I cannot get to the Newport game on Saturday which I'm gutted about, but I will be at the next nine league games.
All we can do is get behind the team and hopefully we can push for a potential play off spot... Its certainly not out our reach!

UTM! .... ATAW!

Attachment: town_5633.jpg
Size: 60.20 KB

Private Message
Roast Em Bobby
September 2, 2022, 1:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Certainly lots off different options available now. Not sure he’ll go 442 though, think it’s more likely that he’ll go with a 4132 or 433
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Rodley Mariner
September 2, 2022, 1:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Not a prayer of 4-4-2. Just get overrun in the middle all the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Corkyefes
September 2, 2022, 2:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Not a prayer of 4-4-2. Just get overrun in the middle all the time.

In the formation that I have shown, I cannot see us getting over run in midfield, although undoubtedly, the two wingers would have to be up and down throughout the game.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Poojah
September 2, 2022, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,899
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Corkyefes

In the formation that I have shown, I cannot see us getting over run in midfield, although undoubtedly, the two wingers would have to be up and down throughout the game.

Newport play 3-5-2; I don’t think you could put a four up against that in midfield and expect brilliant results.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Corkyefes
September 2, 2022, 2:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Newport play 3-5-2; I don’t think you could put a four up against that in midfield and expect brilliant results.

Agree, however that's why I mentioned we would need to be more defensive against Newport and my formation was for the Crewe home game.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
TonySmith
September 2, 2022, 2:14pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
   We definitely have the options to give any team in this league plenty to think about now. I'm cautiously very optimistic, especially when you consider the three players who are still not available and will all have big contributions to make as the season progresses. When you think about what Paul Hurst came into only 20 months ago, he has done an amazing job.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Poojah
September 2, 2022, 2:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Corkyefes

Agree, however that's why I mentioned we would need to be more defensive against Newport and my formation was for the Crewe home game.

That’s a fair riposte. I’m still not keen on a midfield four in this day and age as it makes us too rigid and predictable; something I felt was often a limitation of Hurst sides in his previous spell.

We seem to play with much greater fluidity these days, especially when McAtee is fit and playing his free role. I’d like to see that continue.

All about opinions of course.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Poojah
September 2, 2022, 2:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TonySmith
When you think about what Paul Hurst came into only 20 months ago, he has done an amazing job.

The squad he inherited:

Goalkeepers
Ollie Battersby
James McKeown
Sam Russell

Defenders
Luke Hendrie
Elliott Hewitt
Joey Hope
Duncan Idehen
Mattie Pollock
Danny Preston
Luke Waterfall

Midfielders
Harry Clifton
Jock Curran
Filipe Morais
Cameron Painter
Danny Rose
Luke Spokes
Joe Starbuck
Terry Taylor
James Tilley
George Williams
Max Wright

Forwards
Kyle Bennett
Montel Gibson
Virgil Gomis
Matt Green
James Hanson
Ira Jackson Jr
Sean Scannell
Alhagi Touray Sisay

Yep, I'd say he's done a remarkable job.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Poojah
September 2, 2022, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
For more context, 29 players there. 19 of them are no longer playing at National League standard or above. And it’s less than two years ago.

That’s mental when you think about it.

I can go further. Of the 10 that are still are, Holloway only signed 2 of them - Terry Taylor and Sean Scannell. Worst Town manager of all time? Possibly. Worst of my lifetime? Definitely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to Push On....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.