Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to Push On....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Time to Push On....

This thread currently has 3,470 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
September 2, 2022, 6:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Mariner_09

If you have Green and Holohan in your team, plus someone else like Morris or Hunt, you won’t be getting out run or overpowered in midfield very often, regardless of the opposition. Harry’s chances are the ones I see suffering the most. Green was his top target, Holohan has been in tremendous form this year and you don’t pay 50-100k and give Hunt a 3 year deal to keep the bench warm. Orsi has looked good in the fits and starts that I’ve seen him in and Bim is an interesting prospect.

Equally, I still don’t see Taylor missing many games. His hold up and link play are fundamental to our game, especially when McAtee is fit again

His versatility is always going to play in his favour though. In a 4-2-3-1 he can nominally be wide in the 3 but tuck inside to provide an extra player to break up the play, and still get forward into scoring positions. Initially, I think it will be Green who may be on the bench, but Morris has never played more than 22 games in a season - that's why he's on a 1 year deal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Maringer
September 2, 2022, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
I expect to mostly see 4-2-3-1, especially away from home, where it can quickly become 4-5-1 if you're under the cosh. Hopefully the new forwards will add a bit of pace to the squad as that is something we're lacking and having them come off the bench could add a lot against tiring defences. You'd expect them to both have the sort of a work rate Hurst looks for in players.

When Maher returns, the option of 3 at the back might be worth a try on occasion, but I'm not convinced that we've got the defenders to play wing-back. I think either Amos or Glennon up the left could do a decent job, but Cropper doesn't strike me as a likely wing-back and Efete is hardly one able to bomb up and down the line all game.

Seems odd to be welcoming new players and anticipating what they will do when three of the main pre-season signings have barely kicked a ball between them so far!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2022, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09

If you have Green and Holohan in your team, plus someone else like Morris or Hunt, you won’t be getting out run or overpowered in midfield very often, regardless of the opposition. Harry’s chances are the ones I see suffering the most. Green was his top target, Holohan has been in tremendous form this year and you don’t pay 50-100k and give Hunt a 3 year deal to keep the bench warm. Orsi has looked good in the fits and starts that I’ve seen him in and Bim is an interesting prospect.

Equally, I still don’t see Taylor missing many games. His hold up and link play are fundamental to our game, especially when McAtee is fit again

Got slated for saying this last week but I still think Harry isn’t the best option in any of the midfield roles, especially now Alex is here. That said, Harry will still get loads of games. From being the best outfielder in the relegation season to being a squad player shows how far we’ve come.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
gtfc_chris
September 2, 2022, 9:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer
I expect to mostly see 4-2-3-1, especially away from home, where it can quickly become 4-5-1 if you're under the cosh. Hopefully the new forwards will add a bit of pace to the squad as that is something we're lacking and having them come off the bench could add a lot against tiring defences. You'd expect them to both have the sort of a work rate Hurst looks for in players.

When Maher returns, the option of 3 at the back might be worth a try on occasion, but I'm not convinced that we've got the defenders to play wing-back. I think either Amos or Glennon up the left could do a decent job, but Cropper doesn't strike me as a likely wing-back and Efete is hardly one able to bomb up and down the line all game.

Seems odd to be welcoming new players and anticipating what they will do when three of the main pre-season signings have barely kicked a ball between them so far!

I think Efete would be ideal at that role. We've seen him get forward very well at times but this has sometimes led to creating a space for opposition that a CD has had to cover, but with 3 CB that's almost expected at times, it's built into the game plan that the WB won't always be in a RB position and cover is required when defending a counter.

Glennon or Amos on the other side would be fine but I do agree that I can't see Cropper being effective, but I don't see him every week in training and maybe there's more to him if he was given a licence to be more forward thinking, that's only a view based on what I've seen of him at RB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Teestogreen
September 2, 2022, 9:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Exciting squad now collectively.
Looking forward to Paul Hurst and Chris Doig moulding these in to a ‘ competitive’ League 2 side.
UTM
Well done so far 😀

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Tommy
September 2, 2022, 9:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Can't see us going 352 as a regular formation, personally. We've got a stack load of attacking wide midfielders now who would basically be wasted if we went with that formation. Having 3 good centre backs isn't reason enough on its own to switch to such a formation IMO, I'd happily just have that competition for places and have the two in-form guys in the starting eleven.

Also, I don't particularly think it's a given that Glennon/Efete would be great wing-backs. I'm not saying they wouldn't do ok in that role, but being a full-back that gets forward and joins in with the attacks is a totally different game to being the sole player providing width on that side. You go from receiving the ball with everything (and often space) in front of you, to receiving the ball higher up the pitch facing our own goal with the oppo fullback up your bottom. You go from bombing forward on the overlap, sometimes untracked, for our winger to play them in, to having no-one ahead of you to pass to as there's not a winger there.

Not saying it'd be guaranteed to fail, just saying it's not as simple as saying an attacking full back automatically makes a good wingback (or wide midfielder for that matter).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Tommy
September 2, 2022, 10:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Corkyefes
Now the transfer window has shut, I'm happy with the business Hurst has done in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I would of been delighted to take a punt on someone who's scored a few goals in the league below, ie Dallas, but sometimes that's not always possible due to various reasons.
However I am happy that Hurst has brought in a few younger players, with a decent youth pedigree, who may want to prove a point.

I would like to see Hurst be abit more positive, especially at home, by playing two up front.

Pepple in the last few appearances has shown some promise, especially in his movement and hold up play and if he works on that more, he could become a good asset to us.
Unfortunately for me that pushes Taylor down the pecking line. Taylor does well for his capabilities, but his energy and movement up top, for me has been one of our issues, especially when he plays.

I would expect/like to see a couple going out on loan, such as Khouri, Essel, Braithwaite etc and potentially even players like JMD, as I cannot see him getting much game time personally.

Newport will be a tough game and I appreciate we may play slightly defensive, however for our next home game against Crewe, I would like to see the below line up:

I cannot get to the Newport game on Saturday which I'm gutted about, but I will be at the next nine league games.
All we can do is get behind the team and hopefully we can push for a potential play off spot... Its certainly not out our reach!

UTM! .... ATAW!

Not sure why we'd consider playing Holohan right midfield when we've got Kiernan, Wearne, JMD & Simmonds who can all play there.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
forza ivano
September 2, 2022, 10:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
In support of Tommy ,at walsall Glennon looked like a fish out of water playing in front of Amos, and was transformed into the brilliant glennon as soon as he was switched to left back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
toontown
September 2, 2022, 11:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Tommy
Can't see us going 352 as a regular formation, personally. We've got a stack load of attacking wide midfielders now who would basically be wasted if we went with that formation. Having 3 good centre backs isn't reason enough on its own to switch to such a formation IMO, I'd happily just have that competition for places and have the two in-form guys in the starting eleven.

Also, I don't particularly think it's a given that Glennon/Efete would be great wing-backs. I'm not saying they wouldn't do ok in that role, but being a full-back that gets forward and joins in with the attacks is a totally different game to being the sole player providing width on that side. You go from receiving the ball with everything (and often space) in front of you, to receiving the ball higher up the pitch facing our own goal with the oppo fullback up your bottom. You go from bombing forward on the overlap, sometimes untracked, for our winger to play them in, to having no-one ahead of you to pass to as there's not a winger there.

Not saying it'd be guaranteed to fail, just saying it's not as simple as saying an attacking full back automatically makes a good wingback (or wide midfielder for that matter).

This.

Efete would not make a good wingback as a wingback needs to provide width and he doesn't. He either wants to run up to the edge of the final third and then make a simple pass in front or to the side for someone else to continue, or he wants to come inside diagonally. He would also need to be able to cross early from deep and he can't do that either.
In a wingback system he has got to be able to do those things as there is nobody else on the right doing it or for him to pass to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
mariner91
September 2, 2022, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Tommy

Exactly this. 3-5-2 works so differently to more commonly played formations that you need to be training for it/playing it consistently or it just becomes a mess. In a squad with only 4 centre backs, two of which aren’t very mobile, I don’t think it’s at all likely that Hurst would play three at the back.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to Push On....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.