Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Documentary
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Baidu Spider and 235 Guests

Wrexham Documentary

This thread currently has 40,395 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 14, 2022, 11:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

PH has to have watched this you would have thought. Bet he was p1ssing himself laughing.

Whilst looking at his medal from the game the following week.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 241
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 14, 2022, 11:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from ginnywings

PH has to have watched this you would have thought. Bet he was p1ssing himself laughing.

Doubt Hursty has seen it.

“£7.99 a month. Armuch?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 241
Maringer
October 15, 2022, 12:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Just finished watching it and it wasn't too bad an episode at the death. Like others, I'm surprised they didn't show the first-half wipe out by Crocombe which should have been a penalty, but then there was no mention of Mullins' clear handball, either. For the opener, they did at least leave the BT Sport commentary on noting those commentators were surprised it was given.

Parkinson's technique appears to be, "Leave it all on the field", which doesn't really count as coaching if the opposition also "Leave it all on the field" as well as your team. I was a bit baffled by his 'get torque on the headers' comments in one of the episodes as well.

Davies was their best footballer in the games I saw against them last season and deserves to be managed by somebody with a bit more about them. With Palmer and Mullins up front (who is a cheat but also a good goalscorer) and, I imagine, further expensive signings since their loss against us, it really ought to be theirs to lose this season.

The likes of Crawley, Luton, Wimbledon, Fleetwood and Barnet all won promotion when we were down there last time by spending more than everyone else and getting a decent manager (and FGR eventually managed the same, of course), so it's really strange to see Parkinson still in charge. He might well get them promoted this season, I suppose, but it could be a close-run thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 241
aldi_01
October 15, 2022, 8:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m really surprised he lasted the summer. Having seen bits of the series and now all the last episode, it does indicate that he really is a relic. Football has moved on. Cliche driven team talks and by extra time he had nothing whereas, you watch our match day moments and Doig is giving a focused team talk, Hurst has players to one side, encouraging and Davis has the tactics book out and goes through set plays, who’s marking who etc.

A million miles from the side we were playing and, arguably, with lesser players. Imagine if we’d had Davies, Mullins playing…

The fact they speak highly of Shaun Harvey is alarming and I’d imagine that Wrexham fans aren’t happy with that relationship but also, there is a level of arrogance that comes across, the fact they spoke openly on camera about ‘two games’ and looking abroad for players when they hadn’t even beaten us yet is churlish to be fair.

I still don’t understand the bottle job going in the pub for extra time and the geezer running The Turf is an odd chap at times.

Ah well, we copulated their story and it will forever be in my top 5 town supporting moments…I’ve even got a souvenir…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 15, 2022, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
I have to say cooing over next seasons away shirt and talking about buying foreign to wear it in the next league before they’d ever played a home semi comes across as they have zero humility and I do wonder if that’s the reality of the 3 characters in that scene.

I think they’re at a crossroads in terms of “popularity rating” to be honest and though undoubtedly their support is excellent and deserve success there is a vein of arrogance that comes across throughout their club, whether it’s their support coming to BP and singing “you’re only here for the Wrexham” or just the chronic top to bottom sense of entitlement in terms of winning the National league.

They’ll get up to the next league and probably the league after that, but what’s the saying? “form is temporary and class is permanent” time will tell which one they possess.

Ryan Reynolds has a gin brand, Aviator Gin, it’s good and currently leaves a much better taste in your mouth than the “documentary” if that’s what it can be called about his football club does.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 241
Zero_as_a_limit
October 15, 2022, 9:39am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 2
I was reminded of Gary Wackett watching Parkinson's team talks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0mLsS7Owxo

They have planning in for a 5000 capacity stand with rail seating - Rob & Ryan attending the planning committee meeting and the construction of the stand will provide half the narrative for the second series.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 241
HertsGTFC
October 15, 2022, 9:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zero_as_a_limit
I was reminded of Gary Wackett watching Parkinson's team talks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0mLsS7Owxo

They have planning in for a 5000 capacity stand with rail seating - Rob & Ryan attending the planning committee meeting and the construction of the stand will provide half the narrative for the second series.

I did think it was funny at the end when one of the owners said to the players in the dressing after they’d concerned 5 to lose a home semi “this season wasn’t about promotion” clearly it wasn’t as important as 12 episodes on a streaming channel.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 241
Poojah
October 15, 2022, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,892
Gold Stars: 1,527
Finally got round to watching the final episode last night. Whenever Parkinson isn’t being unduly aggressive, there’s something oddly robotic about his team talks. I don’t know if it’s the presence of the cameras that’s making him so wooden but it’s literally like he’s reading a list of football cliches at times. There’s just no meaning to his words.

Interesting too that he makes a point of loading it on Smith, as if he’s some sort of weak spot. Without a shadow of a doubt he’s a better footballer, even at 20 years old, than any defender they had on the pitch on the day. Even better than League One money Tozer with his big throw, who didn’t even have the biggest throw on the pitch that fateful day. Smith certainly thought quicker than Tozer in the build up to our winner, too.

I’ll be honest, I don’t mind what the Americans are trying to do at Wrexham. The documentary brings with it a certain degree of sustainability that most of these lower league takeovers don’t have. At the same time though, there’s no denying that the long-term success of the “project” requires a degree of success to keep it alive. No one across the pond will be watching season three of Wrexham taking on Dorking in the National League.

In Parkinson, and Harvey, they have made a potentially fatal error. Fundamentally the wrong men to get them out of that league. They should have won it at a canter last season. They didn’t. Having failed to, they should be leading it at a canter now. They aren’t. They’re still conceding silly amounts of goals to the likes of Barnet.

My gut feel is that the money behind Wrexham will eventually pay off and it will lift them to heights they haven’t experienced for some time. But if it doesn’t, I do worry to what degree their owners will be prepared to underwrite failure. Whatever the documentary may have you believe, they are not risking their own money on this.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 241
Maringer
October 15, 2022, 12:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
One thing I thought the last episode showed was that the owners have actually developed a real interest in the results and they were worked up during the play-off match as you'd expect a fan to be. Earlier in the series, it seemed to me that Reynolds wasn't really that interested but I can believe that they both are now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 241
MarinerDevil
October 15, 2022, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
There's no doubt they're getting promoted at some point and I'll be surprised if it isn't this season. They'll quickly kick on into League One after that as well. The question of what happens when the rich guys leave and the documentaries stop is rightly being asked, but I think football fans rarely concern themselves with things like that. When you've been starved of joy for as long as Wrexham fans have, you'll take any sort of success even if it's short-lived.

I enjoyed the series as a whole, although it could have been a bit shorter if they'd cut out some of the filler episodes. Rob and Ryan seem to have their heads screwed on and will definitely be taking Wrexham fans on a wild journey. I share the concern of others that they haven't figured out Shaun Harvey yet, though.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Parkinson. I agree that his style is quite one-dimensional and old-hat, but it still works in the lower leagues when you play to your strengths, as the Cowleys proved. Wrexham showed us their enormous threat from set-pieces in that semi-final; I don't think many lower league sides will have an answer to that. His best keeper and defender were also injured for the play-offs which definitely made an impact.

Overall though, however cynical we might be about big money, it's encouraging to see investors believing in working-class towns like Wrexham and Grimsby. Having a relatively successful football club will be a huge catalyst for growth in our otherwise forgotten outposts.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 241
25 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham Documentary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.