This thread currently has 6,499 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
July 22, 2022, 2:12pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Does anyone on here still play or are involved in local Sunday League footy?

I used to help run a team for a number of years a while back but haven't been involved for a few years now.

I know that when I first got involved in the late 80's/early 90's there were 10 Divisions and each Division had a minimum of 12 teams in it.

I've just looked at the Sunday League website for the coming season and it down to 4 Divisions now. 2 Divisions have only 6 teams with 1 Division of 8 and the other having 9 so that 120 teams that there used to be and we're down to under 30 teams now!

Makes me wonder how long it'll be before Sunday League footy disappears for ever, which would be a real shame.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
3 Day Millionaire
July 22, 2022, 2:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -21
I remember 10 divisions on a Sunday Les and 6 on Saturdays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 85
Les Brechin
July 22, 2022, 2:29pm

Quoted from 3 Day Millionaire
I remember 10 divisions on a Sunday Les and 6 on Saturdays.

The Grimsby Saturday league went a few years back now, only a matter of time before the Sunday league follows I reckon.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 85
bradzmilne
July 22, 2022, 2:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
I run a team and have done for the last 3 years.

We absolutely love it and wouldn’t change it for the world however, prices have risen again this season (even with some genuine help from the league) and it will get to a point where it’s not financially worth it anymore.  

Equally, COVID hit hard. A lot of people got out of that routine of going out on a Sunday morning to play and realised they didn’t think it was worth it anymore.

As a 25 yo, I sadly believe my generation will be the last that experiences Sunday League as we know it

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 85
Les Brechin
July 22, 2022, 2:48pm

Quoted from bradzmilne
I run a team and have done for the last 3 years.

We absolutely love it and wouldn’t change it for the world however, prices have risen again this season (even with some genuine help from the league) and it will get to a point where it’s not financially worth it anymore.  

Equally, COVID hit hard. A lot of people got out of that routine of going out on a Sunday morning to play and realised they didn’t think it was worth it anymore.

As a 25 yo, I sadly believe my generation will be the last that experiences Sunday League as we know it

Just out of interest Bradz, how much do you charge players to play these days?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 85
jamesgtfc
July 22, 2022, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I don't play Sunday League and never have but does anyone play 5/6 a-side either in a league or as a weekly kickabout?

I haven't played since before first lockdown but I'm eager to get out and play. Does anyone play on a weeknight? Tuesdays and Wednesdays are definitely off the table for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 85
aldi_01
July 22, 2022, 2:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Costs, effort needed to run a team and the time folk need means people are swayed from it. League has plenty of cash to help teams too but offer little which makes zero sense, surely encouraging teams should be the name of the game?

I guess a few sacked it off over covid and then factor in the morons that play and like a scrap or put in dangerous tackles I’d imagine folk don’t bother.

6 a side leagues seem to be growing, I’d imagine the ease of organising and then just rocking up, playing for 40 minutes and going home…you barely need a kit…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 85
Hagrid
July 22, 2022, 3:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
played last year, for the Honest Lawyer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 85
lukeo
July 22, 2022, 4:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
It's probably all those club linesman flagging you offside after scoring a perfectly good goal at the young age of 16 that is putting them off play Les?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 85
Les Brechin
July 22, 2022, 4:23pm

Quoted from lukeo
It's probably all those club linesman flagging you offside after scoring a perfectly good goal at the young age of 16 that is putting them off play Les?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 85
bradzmilne
July 22, 2022, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just out of interest Bradz, how much do you charge players to play these days?

Haha, the golden question.

We’ve just had to put training up to £3.

And currently, matches are also £3. However, that is subject to change with new referee fees.

We’re quite fortunate in the sense we get regularly 15/18 for training and 16 on a Sunday, more weeks than not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
Les Brechin
July 22, 2022, 5:01pm

Quoted from bradzmilne

Haha, the golden question.

We’ve just had to put training up to £3.

And currently, matches are also £3. However, that is subject to change with new referee fees.

We’re quite fortunate in the sense we get regularly 15/18 for training and 16 on a Sunday, more weeks than not.

That's not bad to be honest! When I was involved we were charging £2 for training and £3 for subs and we were just about to put the subs up to £4 when I left. You must have a decent sponsor as I know back then it hardly covered the costs to play.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 22, 2022, 5:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Same over here in Lincoln no Saturday leagues and Sunday league with around 4 divisions with a minimal number of teams playing. I think back in the 70’s/80’s Lincoln had biggest Sunday league in the country although this could have been bullshite. Personally started playing mens Sunday league at 15 but think kids now play from the age of 7 being carted all over the county with screaming parents. Thus by the time they are 18 they are fed up with it all and call it a day.

Great memories of Saturday and Sunday football and lucky to play in County Cup Final on Blundell Park in 1985 v Crows Nest but we drew that game and we ultimately won the cup after a second replay.

Luckily our village still has two Sunday league sides so I wander up to watch but fair to say standards are very low and the level of fitness leaves a bit to be desired!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
bradzmilne
July 22, 2022, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

That's not bad to be honest! When I was involved we were charging £2 for training and £3 for subs and we were just about to put the subs up to £4 when I left. You must have a decent sponsor as I know back then it hardly covered the costs to play.

We’ve two sponsors, both who are great.

We accept that we don’t get a brand new kit and tracksuits every year, but try to swap them on an alternate basis each year.

We’ve had a lot of success running our own fundraisers. Last man standings competitions are very popular (£5 entry and split the prize 75/25% with the winner and club) and also the generic race night stuff.

We’ve a lot of very committed lads to their individual roles and without them we wouldn’t be able to function

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
ginnywings
July 22, 2022, 5:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I used to love playing in the local leagues and was gutted when I had to stop because of injuries.

The Sunday league was very strong with some really good players and teams, but it's pretty dire now. I still sometimes catch a game and the standard is poor. Most lads can't be ar$ed nowadays and the ones that do are a bit lardy to put it kindly.

I keep thinking of having a go at walking footy, but haven't got around to it yet, despite prompting from my cousin who goes regularly and loves it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 6:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I started Sunday league aged 15 in 1973 and ended in 2015, so was fortunate to play in that league when it when it was at its strongest, there were indeed 10 leagues and every one of those  leagues had some quality sides in it, every pitch at  Bradley on a Sunday morning was taken (10) and the standard was very high, same for the Grimsby league, started there as a teenager in the Bradley United era (saturdays equivalent of Seawave on a Sunday) again a very high standard of amateur football and its so tragic to see the state of local football nowadays, empty Bradley playing fields on  a Sunday is so sad.
I agree with Lincoln Mariner regarding how young they start them now, cups handed out  all over the place, they are bored with it  all by the time they reach their late teens and would rather stay at home playing FIFA on their PS4s are whatever they are called.
When i started there were no leagues for youngsters, we had to wait untill we were physically able to play mens football, which made it all the more exciting to get the chance, i also feel that Sunday football suffered when the licensing laws changed, if you wanted a night out on  a Saturday in my day the night clubs chucked out at 2am. so you could get a good 7 hours sleep before a game, now they get tanked  up at home, go out about 11pm and return about 7am in no fit state to do anything for the rest of Sunday.
Such a shame, but at least 'oldies' like me have some great footballing memories to reminisce about, youngsters dont know what they are missing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
July 22, 2022, 6:39pm
Guest User
I played Saturday and Sunday League.  When I was 18 Barton United was started and put in to League 4 in the Scunthorpe and District Junior League, (I think that was what it was called)  Anyway, we went from 4th Division to 1st Division in consecutive years.  Those were great times, we even hired a bus for away matches and supporters came on the bus with us. I played for them until I joined the Army at age 23.  I played a hell of a lot more football once I was in the Army, right up to leaving after 14 years service.  Loved them days, wish I could still do it now.
Reply: 16 - 85
Mariner John
July 22, 2022, 6:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 54
I remember early 60' 70's in order to play football, my parents said only if you went to the Boys Brigade as it was a "godly" thing to do. So no boys brigade no football.

I was in 8th grimsby boys brigade based in Lord Street.

One freezing winter when nobody was looking forward to a game, us 10 year old drew a team of 15+ kids. Oh how we ran about to try and keep warm. We almost did well, ermm we got spanked 42-0. It was bloody freezing. Oh the joy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
lukeo
July 22, 2022, 6:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
17 years later Les and I haven't forgotten.  

Down here we charge £5per game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 7:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Re my previous post, my maths has gone ga-ga, i finished playing SL in 2005 not 2015 - jesus is it really 17 years ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
moosey_club
July 22, 2022, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from petethemariner
Re my previous post, my maths has gone ga-ga, i finished playing SL in 2005 not 2015 - jesus is it really 17 years ago?

I was going to say that is some achievement 42 yrs 🤣......but 32 yrs is still a good innings.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 7:45pm

Exile
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
The standard would have been amazing back in the early 80s in Sunday league. My dad played for Seawave and it was only later on I realised that quite a few of the team had played for Town or other pro sides prior to that.

It is a real shame the decline in local football. Same here in Leicester with fewer and fewer teams/ divisions year on year. I stopped playing about four years ago and it’s getting worse year on year sadly.

I started Sunday league aged 15 in 1973 and ended in 2015, so was fortunate to play in that league when it when it was at its strongest, there were indeed 10 leagues and every one of those  leagues had some quality sides in it, every pitch at  Bradley on a Sunday morning was taken (10) and the standard was very high, same for the Grimsby league, started there as a teenager in the Bradley United era (saturdays equivalent of Seawave on a Sunday) again a very high standard of amateur football and its so tragic to see the state of local football nowadays, empty Bradley playing fields on  a Sunday is so sad.
I agree with Lincoln Mariner regarding how young they start them now, cups handed out  all over the place, they are bored with it  all by the time they reach their late teens and would rather stay at home playing FIFA on their PS4s are whatever they are called.
When i started there were no leagues for youngsters, we had to wait untill we were physically able to play mens football, which made it all the more exciting to get the chance, i also feel that Sunday football suffered when the licensing laws changed, if you wanted a night out on  a Saturday in my day the night clubs chucked out at 2am. so you could get a good 7 hours sleep before a game, now they get tanked  up at home, go out about 11pm and return about 7am in no fit state to do anything for the rest of Sunday.
Such a shame, but at least 'oldies' like me have some great footballing memories to reminisce about, youngsters dont know what they are missing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
HerveJosse
July 22, 2022, 7:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
As The Jam said ‘ This is the modern world’
It’s only going to get more modern.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
gytone
July 22, 2022, 8:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,032
Gold Stars: 8
Think kids and youths nowadays are happy to sit in the house playing PlayStation etc me when I was a kid I could wait to get outside for a kick ab with me mates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 22, 2022, 8:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Happy_Mariner
The standard would have been amazing back in the early 80s in Sunday league. My dad played for Seawave and it was only later on I realised that quite a few of the team had played for Town or other pro sides prior to that.

It is a real shame the decline in local football. Same here in Leicester with fewer and fewer teams/ divisions year on year. I stopped playing about four years ago and it’s getting worse year on year sadly.

I stated earlier that we beat Crows Nest in the final but as it happens we played 4 of Grimsby’s best Sunday league sides in BRSA ( Wayne Butts, Phil Warvill?), Athletico (Paul Bartlett) Seawave in the semi final when Keith Brown and Kev Carter played. In all honesty against Seawave we only got out of our half two or three times in the whole game but like Town battled through nearly 90 minutes had a break, a corner and a last minute penalty did the trick. In those days winning the Sunday County Cup was our equivalent of a pro winning the Champions League. It was a bloody hard competition to win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 22, 2022, 8:09pm
Brandy Drinker
[quote=226]The standard would have been amazing back in the early 80s in Sunday league. My dad played for Seawave and it was only later on I realised that quite a few of the team had played for Town or other pro sides prior to that.

I stated earlier that we beat Crows Nest in the final but as it happens we played 4 of Grimsby’s best Sunday league sides in BRSA ( Wayne Butts, Phil Warvill?), Athletico (Paul Bartlett) Seawave in the semi final when Keith Brown and Kev Carter played. In all honesty against Seawave we only got out of our half two or three times in the whole game but like Town battled through nearly 90 minutes had a break, a corner and a last minute penalty did the trick. In those days winning the Sunday County Cup was our equivalent of a pro winning the Champions League. It was a bloody hard competition to win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
forza ivano
July 22, 2022, 8:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
nobody's mentioned the popularity of 5/6 a side , both indoors and out.
Understand people enjoy it more, and find it more convenient to play on a midweek evening
seems it mirrors the popularity of Parkrun in the running world - no hassle, you just turn up, do your run and that's it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 8:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Seawave were some team, played against them many times, lost 3-1 to them in the Challenge cup final in a howling gale and   rainstorm, remember the first time  against them, i had been badly injured playing for Barton on a saturday, was signed for Artie White (rip) and as a result Arties lad Barry  (again rip) went in goal for the sunday side  and was brilliant, so i signed for  some mates team in Div 7, drew them in the cup and at the time Seawave stuffed double figures against everyone outside div 1, we held them to 1-1 FT, the sidelines became packed with players whose games had finished on hearing the score, sadly Brian Bloomers headed the winner in the 2nd part of ET.
As a team we did become very good and  together with Lee Stevens  talented college side we both went through the leagues to Div 1
and College became, after Seawave,  one of the best sides in SL history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 8:34pm

Exile
My dad was the keeper. I’ll have him for chucking a goal in against a division 7 team!! 😂

I was quite young at the time but wish I’d have realised the quality of players that were in the pitch. I was more interested in kicking about with the other kids on the sideline.

Seawave were some team, played against them many times, lost 3-1 to them in the Challenge cup final in a howling gale and   rainstorm, remember the first time  against them, i had been badly injured playing for Barton on a saturday, was signed for Artie White (rip) and as a result Arties lad Barry  (again rip) went in goal for the sunday side  and was brilliant, so i signed for  some mates team in Div 7, drew them in the cup and at the time Seawave stuffed double figures against everyone outside div 1, we held them to 1-1 FT, the sidelines became packed with players whose games had finished on hearing the score, sadly Brian Bloomers headed the winner in the 2nd part of ET.
As a team we did become very good and  together with Lee Stevens  talented college side we both went through the leagues to Div 1
and College became, after Seawave,  one of the best sides in SL history.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 8:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Was it Mick Walker? His nickname was 'wobbly' which was a bit unfair, he was a  V good keeper and kicked it miles!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 8:53pm

Exile
No, John Grest is my dad. I remember the name Mick Walker.

Was it Mick Walker? His nickname was 'wobbly' which was a bit unfair, he was a  V good keeper and kicked it miles!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 85
fishboyUTM
July 22, 2022, 8:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Can't believe there are only four divisions now, and such low numbers within those divisions. I haven't been involved in Sunday league for nine or ten years now. And at 46, it looks like I can't even play 5 a side now due to an aging / injured knee that is showing no signs of improvement.

Lads nowadays seem a different breed, suppose I'm a middle aged bloke and it's a different generation but they don't seem to be proper men to me. Get some socks on, get on the urine with your mates and get picked up at 9.30am on a sunday wankered with stories of last nights dirty bird.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 85
Theimperialcoroner
July 22, 2022, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
I played for Crows in a Div 2 decider against Seawave down at Bradley at some point in the 80’s a proper ding dong game and probably a couple of hundred watching they beat us and we both went up, them as Champions.
Local footy can thrive if it has the right set up. Boston Saturday League is really well run with refs for each game and last season 4 leagues. Just needs a bit of standard setting.
I also saw someone mention walking football. TBH sod that. In the US we had a cracking league of over 50s teams. It was competitive but played in a great spirit. Standard was ok but just a bit slower and fatter. Love to have that over here.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Oh yes, John was a great keeper and a really nice man as well, i might be wrong but i think he was 1st team keeper at Drewery Sports
Saturday team (maybe the old grey matter is playing me up) but i would have been  one of his understudys cause i think at the time in was the best keeper in GY.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
smokey111
July 22, 2022, 9:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I played for Crows in a Div 2 decider against Seawave down at Bradley at some point in the 80’s a proper ding dong game and probably a couple of hundred watching they beat us and we both went up, them as Champions.
Local footy can thrive if it has the right set up. Boston Saturday League is really well run with refs for each game and last season 4 leagues. Just needs a bit of standard setting.
I also saw someone mention walking football. TBH sod that. In the US we had a cracking league of over 50s teams. It was competitive but played in a great spirit. Standard was ok but just a bit slower and fatter. Love to have that over here.

Played Sunday League for 20 years and during that time the biggest frustration was the decline in commitment from players. When I started it was organised via phone calls on a Friday evening and bar the odd injury from a Saturday game, you knew the 13/14 who were down. Towards the end you could be expecting 15 players and 10 would turn up.

On the flip side, during that time I have seen the organisation, coaching and standard of junior football improve massively.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 9:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
should have typed  at the timne he was the best keeper in GY.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 9:05pm

Exile
Yes, he played for Drewery Sports. Again, quite early for me but remember going down there with him. He was a big shadow to grow up in. I quickly realised I was never getting anywhere near his level of football!! What’s you or surname name, Pete.

Oh yes, John was a great keeper and a really nice man as well, i might be wrong but i think he was 1st team keeper at Drewery Sports
Saturday team (maybe the old grey matter is playing me up) but i would have been  one of his understudys cause i think at the time in was the best keeper in GY.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 85
ginnywings
July 22, 2022, 9:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
[quote=226]The standard would have been amazing back in the early 80s in Sunday league. My dad played for Seawave and it was only later on I realised that quite a few of the team had played for Town or other pro sides prior to that.

Phil Welby perhaps?

Really good player who I had the pleasure of playing alongside for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 22, 2022, 9:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Yes, he played for Drewery Sports. Again, quite early for me but remember going down there with him. He was a big shadow to grow up in. I quickly realised I was never getting anywhere near his level of football!! What’s you or surname name, Pete.

Did he play for Drewery when they won the Linc League under Dave Boyle and had Les Harrison banging them in for fun ? I was there the night they won the league beating us, Ruston Bucyrus, 2-0 in a night match but I was a spectator having broken my leg against Appleby Frodingham. Must have played against your dad several times playing for Bucyrus on a Saturday and Monson United on Sundays. I’d forgotten about Brian Bloomer playing at Seawave and pretty sure he played in the semi final with Neil Ellis and Sean Farrow. Think we also played them in the County Cup a couple of years later and game was abandoned when one of the Seawave lads broke his leg in a bad challenge from our sweeper, Keith Ellis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
promotion plaice
July 22, 2022, 9:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Lads nowadays seem a different breed, suppose I'm a middle aged bloke and it's a different generation but they don't seem to be proper men to me. Get some socks on, get on the urine with your mates and get picked up at 9.30am on a sunday wankered with stories of last nights dirty bird.

They probably discuss where's the best place to get a "wax, back & crack" and compare moisturisers these days.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 9:18pm

Exile
I’ve asked but my brother remembers that game so likely he was playing.

Did he play for Drewery when they won the Linc League under Dave Boyle and had Les Harrison banging them in for fun ? I was there the night they won the league beating us, Ruston Bucyrus, 2-0 in a night match but I was a spectator having broken my leg against Appleby Frodingham. Must have played against your dad several times playing for Bucyrus on a Saturday and Monson United on Sundays. I’d forgotten about Brian Bloomer playing at Seawave and pretty sure he played in the semi final with Neil Ellis and Sean Farrow. Think we also played them in the County Cup a couple of years later and game was abandoned when one of the Seawave lads broke his leg in a bad challenge from our sweeper, Keith Ellis.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 9:23pm
Cocktail Drinker

Aargh if i tell you that everyone will know who is posting rubbish on here! All i can say as a  clue is think of 'dads army'!
Hope John is well and if so, next time you speak to him  and you have worked out my name, give him my regards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 9:38pm

Exile
Just spoke to dad and he said that’s who it will be. I remember your name. Good chat about the quality of local football.

Aargh if i tell you that everyone will know who is posting rubbish on here! All i can say as a  clue is think of 'dads army'!
Hope John is well and if so, next time you speak to him  and you have worked out my name, give him my regards.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
petethemariner
July 22, 2022, 9:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Thanks HM, wish i could turn back the clock 40+ years and do it all again, think thats the essence of Les's original post, there was so much joy to be had playing competitive football,its such a shame  todays youth are in the most part, just spectators.
Love talking about, it even if even if its bored the proverbials off some!
All the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
Happy_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 9:56pm

Exile
Absolutely. Only a few years out of it for me but miss it like crazy but had to accept my body wasn’t thanking me. Still think I’ve got it but in a recent charity game I found out my body wasn’t doing what my head wanted.

Best wishes to you and I’ll pass on regards to my dad. He loved our quick chat about his playing days.

Take care. UTM!

Thanks HM, wish i could turn back the clock 40+ years and do it all again, think thats the essence of Les's original post, there was so much joy to be had playing competitive football,its such a shame  todays youth are in the most part, just spectators.
Love talking about, it even if even if its bored the proverbials off some!
All the best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
wuffing
July 23, 2022, 7:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40

Don't tell him Pike.....

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
newarkmariner
July 23, 2022, 8:14am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Les Brechin
Does anyone on here still play or are involved in local Sunday League footy?

I used to help run a team for a number of years a while back but haven't been involved for a few years now.

I know that when I first got involved in the late 80's/early 90's there were 10 Divisions and each Division had a minimum of 12 teams in it.

I've just looked at the Sunday League website for the coming season and it down to 4 Divisions now. 2 Divisions have only 6 teams with 1 Division of 8 and the other having 9 so that 120 teams that there used to be and we're down to under 30 teams now!

Makes me wonder how long it'll be before Sunday League footy disappears for ever, which would be a real shame.

Its such a shame Les,i often go and watch a sunday morning game here in Newark and think back too those great days playing for the Cricketers,Meza up front,Rookie in the middle Treacher at the back  and me the fat cat
trying too roll back the years between the sticks ,was some team the season we won the league mate,happy happy days UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
Grimal
July 23, 2022, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings
I used to love playing in the local leagues and was gutted when I had to stop because of injuries.

The Sunday league was very strong with some really good players and teams, but it's pretty dire now. I still sometimes catch a game and the standard is poor. Most lads can't be ar$ed nowadays and the ones that do are a bit lardy to put it kindly.

I keep thinking of having a go at walking footy, but haven't got around to it yet, despite prompting from my cousin who goes regularly and loves it.

Give it a go Ginny, I play at Bradley 3 mornings a week and been playing there since 2013, can fully recommend it.
Give me the initials of your cousin mate, I'll have a chat with him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
Grimal
July 23, 2022, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Surely that's the same as Vets football  played here in Uk. Perhaps it's not for you but walking football,it's the fastest growing sport in the world and can be enjoyed by players of any ability.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
ginnywings
July 24, 2022, 2:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grimal

Give it a go Ginny, I play at Bradley 3 mornings a week and been playing there since 2013, can fully recommend it.
Give me the initials of your cousin mate, I'll have a chat with him.

Sent you a PM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
gtfc_chris
July 24, 2022, 8:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
If you look below that aswell you'd see that for the last two seasons there hasn't been a local U15 or 16 league either. To play at that level you have to play Mid Lincs County, travelling to Lincoln, Skegness and further if I'm not mistaken.

There's a bucket full of reasons as to why but the invent of social media and the over-hyped level of competition in the junior game means we're losing the interest much earlier than we used to in my opinion.

Go back 15 years when 10 year olds weren't on social media, their only means of discussing the local football scene was in person. Banter always occured and judgements have always been made but it was only ever in person and no digital footprint of opinions floated about in cyberspace as a constant reminder.

Having worked in grassroots for a long time now, I get frustrated that too many adults place their stock in winning by hoovering up talent from other teams. We know the game is based on competition and we know that in the elite game that is all par for course. But what said coaches aren't realising is that the teams who lose these good players can then only replace them with lesser standard, which drives a wedge between ability levels.

Linking that to social media, when these kids are using facebook, snapchat etc to cast their views and leave it open for all the school year to read, those kids who aren't quite as good, or play for teams towards the bottom, soon become bored with the message that if you ain't any good then you ain't valued in the game and simply quit.

That's a bit dramatised but effectively the message. It's largely kids being kids and has always happened but the way in which too many adult coaches operate in order to win, simply to massage their own egos, coupled with social media is making the dynamics of the game such that only those teams/players in the tip of the iceberg progress into adult football. The majority who sit firmly in the mid-lower parts of the iceberg have packed up and gone home.

It's a shame because Sunday League was always competitive but equally it was the social side that was just as, if not more important. Aggressive and competitive as the games could be, once the game ends focus quickly turns to the pub and the afternoon football. I don't believe there is a decline in the number of people wanting to play football, just a decline in people who as kids dropped out because they didn't feel like they fitted in based on views above.

Whoever mentioned about organising is also very much spot on too. Even if my view on the lack of player-flow from grassroots is spot on and a magic wand fixed it, it requires people willing to take the time and effort to keep these teams running and I think we live in a society that is less patient and willing to commit to the time it can take to maintain a team.

There are obviously more reasons why more people aren't playing but for me this is a big things I've noticed over the last 15 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
grimps
July 24, 2022, 8:25am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
In my opinion late opening hours for bars (4 or 6 ) in Meggies and the Premiership having games playing all day we’re the two main reasons .
You can probably see throw in all day opening for the pubs on a Sunday too .
It takes a special kind of player to leave a club at 6 after a night on the booze and drugs and make it to Bradley pitches at 11
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
Vance Warner
July 24, 2022, 8:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from gtfc_chris
If you look below that aswell you'd see that for the last two seasons there hasn't been a local U15 or 16 league either. To play at that level you have to play Mid Lincs County, travelling to Lincoln, Skegness and further if I'm not mistaken.

There's a bucket full of reasons as to why but the invent of social media and the over-hyped level of competition in the junior game means we're losing the interest much earlier than we used to in my opinion.

Go back 15 years when 10 year olds weren't on social media, their only means of discussing the local football scene was in person. Banter always occured and judgements have always been made but it was only ever in person and no digital footprint of opinions floated about in cyberspace as a constant reminder.

Having worked in grassroots for a long time now, I get frustrated that too many adults place their stock in winning by hoovering up talent from other teams. We know the game is based on competition and we know that in the elite game that is all par for course. But what said coaches aren't realising is that the teams who lose these good players can then only replace them with lesser standard, which drives a wedge between ability levels.

Linking that to social media, when these kids are using facebook, snapchat etc to cast their views and leave it open for all the school year to read, those kids who aren't quite as good, or play for teams towards the bottom, soon become bored with the message that if you ain't any good then you ain't valued in the game and simply quit.

That's a bit dramatised but effectively the message. It's largely kids being kids and has always happened but the way in which too many adult coaches operate in order to win, simply to massage their own egos, coupled with social media is making the dynamics of the game such that only those teams/players in the tip of the iceberg progress into adult football. The majority who sit firmly in the mid-lower parts of the iceberg have packed up and gone home.

It's a shame because Sunday League was always competitive but equally it was the social side that was just as, if not more important. Aggressive and competitive as the games could be, once the game ends focus quickly turns to the pub and the afternoon football. I don't believe there is a decline in the number of people wanting to play football, just a decline in people who as kids dropped out because they didn't feel like they fitted in based on views above.

Whoever mentioned about organising is also very much spot on too. Even if my view on the lack of player-flow from grassroots is spot on and a magic wand fixed it, it requires people willing to take the time and effort to keep these teams running and I think we live in a society that is less patient and willing to commit to the time it can take to maintain a team.

There are obviously more reasons why more people aren't playing but for me this is a big things I've noticed over the last 15 years.

If that's right about Under 15/16 leagues that's a real shame. Have some great memories from that age and it's a time in life when sport can keep you on the right path.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
moosey_club
July 24, 2022, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229
Too many social economic changes to name in full but, huge losses of big  employers and sports grounds, Findus, Ross, Courtaulds, Tioxide, Novartis etc. Huge rises in number of youths now leaving the area for University, pub losses and squeezes on landlords,  opening hours , work patterns, more intense advanced organised junior scene sees players retiring at 16/17 as they have already done 10yrs by then.
All I know is I still love it , from growing up watching games at Bradley as an 8/9 Yr old and "playing" against other kids who were watching on the side,  the smell of wintergreen, the rock hard feel of a mitre multiplex compared to the 10 bob floater I had in the garden, the language, being in the pub after to hear the crack. Hooked.
A wise man once said to us growing up " if you play local footy you can walk in any pub in town and know someone " , that has always stayed with me, it's not quite as true now as it once was but I have gained a Sunday League "family" down the years, all with that shared common bond.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
lukeo
July 24, 2022, 9:26am
Season Ticket Holder
2010/2011
Was my final full season of the Grimsby Sunday league, 7 divisions at the time and I bagged 20 in 21 games in a struggling Newton's side.
Haven't scored since  

https://fulltime.thefa.com/displayTeam.html?divisionseason=7405720&teamID=166700#tab-2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
smokey111
July 24, 2022, 10:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Superb post.

The irony is that there would be enough to form an u 15 and u 16 league in the area but some teams seem to assume that by travelling the length and breadth of Lincolnshire it makes any success all the sweeter.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
Meza
July 24, 2022, 11:10am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
[url=https://ibb.co/8DhxdVj][img]https://i.ibb.co/DDqM8n7/907-B1951-9-BF7-4349-8-A21-F1722-C178044.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
Meza
July 24, 2022, 11:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Meza
[url=https://ibb.co/8DhxdVj][img]https://i.ibb.co/DDqM8n7/907-B1951-9-BF7-4349-8-A21-F1722-C178044.jpg[/img][/url]

Div 4 champions with the Cricketers.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
moss_side_mariner
July 24, 2022, 11:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3

Did you play for Ross reserves in the early/mid 80s? With the likes of Bry Goodwin, Robbie Butler?

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
newarkmariner
July 24, 2022, 5:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Meza

Div 4 champions with the Cricketers.  

Happy days Meza,saw Rookie and Jam at a few home games last season,some team that was,my final yr,i retired on a high,hope your well buddy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
petethemariner
July 24, 2022, 6:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

Did you play for Ross reserves in the early/mid 80s? With the likes of Bry Goodwin, Robbie Butler?

I did indeed, also with Neil Horwood, Gaz Thompson amongst others, we had a really useful side  even though only a reserve side i reckon we would have given Ross first team a game if we played them, but i dont think Mick Toyne was over keen!
Think it was about 1982 or 3 we did the league  and cup double.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
petethemariner
July 24, 2022, 7:00pm
Cocktail Drinker

I did indeed. we had a very decent side that also included Neil Horwood, Gaz Thompson, Bri Sargeant to name but 3, plenty of other good players in that squad too ,did the league and league cup double and i reckon we would have given Ross first team a tough game had we ever had the
opportunity to play them, but i done think Mick Toyne was over keen!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
petethemariner
July 24, 2022, 7:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Sorry answered the posr twice, didnt think my first one had appeared and it now has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 24, 2022, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker

I did indeed, also with Neil Horwood, Gaz Thompson amongst others, we had a really useful side  even though only a reserve side i reckon we would have given Ross first team a game if we played them, but i dont think Mick Toyne was over keen!
Think it was about 1982 or 3 we did the league  and cup double.

Wasn’t 83 as we, Ruston Bucyrus Reserves, won the league that year but always loved playing at Ross, we used to go with the right back? up to the Sumarine as the bar at Ross used to close early, great days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
Meza
July 24, 2022, 7:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from newarkmariner

Happy days Meza,saw Rookie and Jam at a few home games last season,some team that was,my final yr,i retired on a high,hope your well buddy

Alright mate, how things.  i hope the picture brings back some great memories haha.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 85
petethemariner
July 24, 2022, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker

Wasn’t 83 as we, Ruston Bucyrus Reserves, won the league that year but always loved playing at Ross, we used to go with the right back? up to the Sumarine as the bar at Ross used to close early, great days.

Ah must have been  82 or even 84 then, i always enjoyed playing at Bucyrus as well, pitch  was a bit on the small side lengthwise until they turned it round, iv'e lost track  these days, do Bucyrus still have a side and in what league LM?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
petethemariner
July 24, 2022, 8:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Ah lightbulb moment, they changed their name to Lincoln Moorlands, are they still on the go LM?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 24, 2022, 9:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Ah lightbulb moment, they changed their name to Lincoln Moorlands, are they still on the go LM?

Yeah they are still on the go and back playing in the Lincs League I believe, I was down at their clubhouse a few weeks back for my brothers 70th and distraught to see all the footie photos had been removed from the walls. We must have played against each other given the time you played and I remember a cup game at Bucyrus when we 2-0 down but won 3-2 as we kicked down the slope second half. I’m big mates with Micky Heward if you know him? He played for Bucyrus for a few seasons in the early eighties before he had the tragic injury but he still plays in our Monsons Golf Society which was borne from the football team but alas the pub like many others has just been knocked down to make way for a supermarket, such a waste.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
petethemariner
July 24, 2022, 10:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Thanks LM yes i did know Micky Heward and its tragic what happened to him, what i heard was Crows 1st didnt have a game and he went down to watch one of the 2nd/3rd teams, the Crows team keeper didnt turn up so Micky volunteered to go in goal, broke his leg, taken to hospital, operated on, plastered up, but the plaster cut off circulation to his foot that had to be amputated, awful,  shortly afterwards i broke my shin playing for Skeggy at Nettleham and the plaster was given a spyhole to make sure the same didnt happen to me.
Moorlands seemed to be a club going places a decade ago so its sad to see they have gone backwards.
Incidentaly, as an ex Bucyrus player what were the games against Ruston Sports, your neighbours up the road like? Bit Spicy?
Always preferred playing at Bucyrus to Rustons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 24, 2022, 11:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Thanks LM yes i did know Micky Heward and its tragic what happened to him, what i heard was Crows 1st didnt have a game and he went down to watch one of the 2nd/3rd teams, the Crows team keeper didnt turn up so Micky volunteered to go in goal, broke his leg, taken to hospital, operated on, plastered up, but the plaster cut off circulation to his foot that had to be amputated, awful,  shortly afterwards i broke my shin playing for Skeggy at Nettleham and the plaster was given a spyhole to make sure the same didnt happen to me.
Moorlands seemed to be a club going places a decade ago so its sad to see they have gone backwards.
Incidentaly, as an ex Bucyrus player what were the games against Ruston Sports, your neighbours up the road like? Bit Spicy?
Always preferred playing at Bucyrus to Rustons.

We always played sports on Boxing Day and to say they got feisty would be an understatement especially after 82 when our former manager and about three others left to play for them adding even more spice to a game that always attracted a bumper crowd. Remember one game at the Moorlands when it came to blows and a couple of spectators came on the pitch to join in!! But, as it was in those days, after the match it was just something to laugh about as we still do forty years later as many of us play golf together and regularly reminisce about those games. Pretty much the same when we played Lincoln Clayton’s and on Sundays Monsons v Adelaide was always a fixture not to be missed. Pretty sure it would have been the same in Grimsby with Ross, Drewery and Grimsby Amateurs and of course Louth and Immingham always had lots of Grimsby based players. Remember playing Skegness when Czuzman and some other ex town players were in their side and then I think Skegness won the league a couple of years later, 85 ish ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
petethemariner
July 25, 2022, 12:28am
Cocktail Drinker

I'm intrigued to know how you knew that! Was you part of the team? c'ant imagine someone  witith the name Moss Side Mariner would know about Ross Sports in the eighties without a personal connection, would be pleased to hear!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
Mallyner
July 25, 2022, 6:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Until I opened a business in 1975, that tied me every weekend, I used to play for various teams in different legues, but my favourite as I was one of the best players, which wasn't difficult, was playing in the Sunday league for Weelsby Rovers, home ground Sydney Park.

It was run by Barry Wattam and his Dad Jack played until a very old age, I remember playing a lovely ball to Jack, who despite tearing down the wing as fast as he could didn't catch it; and Barry said,"You should have played that ball 30 years ago Malc."

I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle in a training session in Weelsby Woods; and I knew it was bad, but Fred Camburn who didn't tried to lift me up saying I would be ok. 7 weeks later and after being in plaster for 6. I went to watch them at Bradley and they only had 6 or 7 players, so with my previously broken leg with muscle wastage, only half as wide as the good one, so they could play I volunteered to go in goal. Mercifully I survived.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
moss_side_mariner
July 25, 2022, 8:09am
Table Wine Drinker

I'm intrigued to know how you knew that! Was you part of the team? c'ant imagine someone  witith the name Moss Side Mariner would know about Ross Sports in the eighties without a personal connection, would be pleased to hear!

Yes Pete, I was in the double winning team 83/84. Had to stop playing a year or so later due to ill health. It was great to play in that team. Some real characters.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
petethemariner
July 25, 2022, 9:29am
Cocktail Drinker

Yes Pete, I was in the double winning team 83/84. Had to stop playing a year or so later due to ill health. It was great to play in that team. Some real characters.

Andy F?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
moss_side_mariner
July 25, 2022, 9:47am
Table Wine Drinker

Andy F?

👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
petethemariner
July 25, 2022, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Was  sorry to hear about your health issues at the time Andy, pleased you are doing well, you were a very good player and it was a real shame you had to give up so early.
All the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
goodref
July 25, 2022, 11:27am
Coke Drinker
Approval: +9
Gold Stars: 2
I have read this thread with real interest and it has brought back many good memories for me.

I am no longer due to a serious heart condition able to participate in local football.

I refereed in the Sunday League between 1982 and 2012 and in the saturday league as well
but my involvement was brought to an abrupt end in 2012 when my heart condition was diagnosed.

It was a real privilege to have been involved for those 30 years and I made a lot of friends through local football.

I think that history will show that those years were among the best years for local football.

Sadly the decline appears to be unstoppable and it is the younger ones who will miss out on what for me has been an unforgettable experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
Mallyner
July 25, 2022, 11:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from goodref
I have read this thread with real interest and it has brought back many good memories for me.

I am no longer due to a serious heart condition able to participate in local football.

I refereed in the Sunday League between 1982 and 2012 and in the saturday league as well
but my involvement was brought to an abrupt end in 2012 when my heart condition was diagnosed.

It was a real privilege to have been involved for those 30 years and I made a lot of friends through local football.

I think that history will show that those years were among the best years for local football.

Sadly the decline appears to be unstoppable and it is the younger ones who will miss out on what for me has been an unforgettable experience.

Bless you mate, I'm very sorry to read that. You and all the local referees have all my full admiration; While I was recovering from my broken leg, I refereed a game so it could go ahead and my team could play and with no linesmen I missed an offside and the opposition scored and my own team mates almost lynched me.

I haven't seen an old friend of mine recently, Rob Surtees, but he seemed to be a master of keeping control.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
Rick12
July 25, 2022, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I don't play Sunday League and never have but does anyone play 5/6 a-side either in a league or as a weekly kickabout?

Yes use to play occasionally up until recently. Fitness wise you have to be in good nick to properly enjoy it .

I quite like the idea of walking football for the older generation which I seen has been growing. Helps keep people active and they can still actively enjoy the game albeit at a reduced pace.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
goodref
July 25, 2022, 1:39pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

Bless you mate, I'm very sorry to read that. You and all the local referees have all my full admiration; While I was recovering from my broken leg, I refereed a game so it could go ahead and my team could play and with no linesmen I missed an offside and the opposition scored and my own team mates almost lynched me.

I haven't seen an old friend of mine recently, Rob Surtees, but he seemed to be a master of keeping control.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
Les Brechin
July 25, 2022, 1:42pm

I ran the line in Sunday footy for a long time. I admit that I never got everything right but I never knowingly cheated and just gave what I saw at the time.

I used to get more grief off my own team that the opponents most matches though!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
goodref
July 25, 2022, 1:45pm
Coke Drinker
Thank you Mallyner for your kind words.

Refereeing your own team was always a high risk strategy.

You were always likely to upset one team or the other (or probably both).

I haven't seen Rob Surtees for ages. I always liked him and his style of refereeing. A good bloke as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
NewtoN
July 25, 2022, 9:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
Going into my 10th season now with Broadley FC in Lincoln and Grimsby. For us it gives it a purpose to keep Rich’s memory alive, whilst raising money for charity and organising some fantastic legends games.

Would have loved to be around when there more of an active Sunday league scene. Lincoln Sunday league has gone down to 4 leagues this season and Grimsby hasn’t released leagues yet.

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
lukeo
July 26, 2022, 6:55am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from NewtoN
Going into my 10th season now with Broadley FC in Lincoln and Grimsby. For us it gives it a purpose to keep Rich’s memory alive, whilst raising money for charity and organising some fantastic legends games.

Would have loved to be around when there more of an active Sunday league scene. Lincoln Sunday league has gone down to 4 leagues this season and Grimsby hasn’t released leagues yet.

Love what you do Matt and can never thank you enough as I'm sure his parents as well. He was a half decent full back as well.. I'll never forget a Sunday morning, ball smashed high and far towards him at right back. He took literally the perfect touch. Ball stopped dead. He ran off and celebrated leaving the ball behind hahaha
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 85
Les Brechin
July 26, 2022, 7:00am

Quoted from NewtoN

https://fulltime.thefa.com/ind.....electedCompetition=0

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 85
NewtoN
July 26, 2022, 1:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

This is league from last year Les, I believe for the purpose of the Terry Hanley cup. New leagues haven’t been established yet.

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sunday League Footy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.