9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Superdan147
July 21, 2022, 11:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Signing for Accrington! Holloway signing who never played and got loaned out to cleethorpes signing for league one club. Unbelievable
Logged Offline
Private Message
AdamHaddock
July 21, 2022, 11:42am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
The hairs on the back of my neck nearly fell off then

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 86
horsforthmariner
July 21, 2022, 11:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
I literally can't remember him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 86
Rodley Mariner
July 21, 2022, 12:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I literally can't remember him.

You're lucky. Saw him in the cup game against Hull and he looked like he'd won a raffle to get a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 86
Mikey_345
July 21, 2022, 12:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,583
Gold Stars: 113
Let’s be honest, did he really get any chance at all here under Holloway.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 21, 2022, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Superdan147
Signing for Accrington! Holloway signing who never played and got loaned out to cleethorpes signing for league one club. Unbelievable

Wow, anyone who saw him play for Cleethorpes as fans were allowed into their ground will be shocked as he was absolutely useless for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 86
Mariner16
July 21, 2022, 12:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
If anyone can get something out a player, it's John Coleman. This will be an interesting one from a distance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 86
psgmariner
July 21, 2022, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 86
Hagrid
July 21, 2022, 12:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,524
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from psgmariner

some disgusting bottom licking comments in that thread

"
He’s a bit special is Ollie. How the intercourse did we get him???

(I know a bit of how and it’s a flipping brilliant story, one day it will be part of the GTFC legend)"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 86
psgmariner
July 21, 2022, 12:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
A look through the archived threads show that on Holloway and pretty much everything else us posters are pretty much all clueless (myself included)!

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 86
Poojah
July 21, 2022, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,899
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Hagrid

some disgusting bottom licking comments in that thread

"
He’s a bit special is Ollie. How the intercourse did we get him???

(I know a bit of how and it’s a flipping brilliant story, one day it will be part of the GTFC legend)"

The interesting part of that quote is the second line. There remain big unanswered questions about the mechanics that brought Holloway here, and where the whole Alex May deal fell into the equation.

It’s clear the original narrative created around Holloway’s arrival were false, and that there were self-serving reasons at play. So I’d certainly like to understand a bit more about the “how”.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 86
aldi_01
July 21, 2022, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
flipping hell…makes you wonder how some of these lads get a wage out of football…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 86
pen penfras
July 21, 2022, 4:59pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah

The interesting part of that quote is the second line. There remain big unanswered questions about the mechanics that brought Holloway here, and where the whole Alex May deal fell into the equation.

It’s clear the original narrative created around Holloway’s arrival were false, and that there were self-serving reasons at play. So I’d certainly like to understand a bit more about the “how”.

I don't think so. He was only buying £100k of shares to show his commitment. That wouldn't have made him anything significant regardless of what came next. He wanted a legacy and thought having boardroom influence would let his special talent shine through.

If Covid hadn't happened, things could be very different. There was a buzz around the place and he brought in some very good players as well as getting others to perform better. I think the problem was that he believed he could get something out of poor players because he was a motivator. Unfortunately, he signed 4 non league players without ever seeing them play because he liked the cut of their jib and they weren't up to the job. And the whole preparation was poor because he was terrified of Covid and thought the season would get cancelled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 86
DB
July 21, 2022, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think so. He was only buying £100k of shares to show his commitment. That wouldn't have made him anything significant regardless of what came next. He wanted a legacy and thought having boardroom influence would let his special talent shine through.

If Covid hadn't happened, things could be very different. There was a buzz around the place and he brought in some very good players as well as getting others to perform better. I think the problem was that he believed he could get something out of poor players because he was a motivator. Unfortunately, he signed 4 non league players without ever seeing them play because he liked the cut of their jib and they weren't up to the job. And the whole preparation was poor because he was terrified of Covid and thought the season would get cancelled.

You said Holloway had a special talent so I've highlighted where his special talent failed miserably. I think you scored a few own goals PP.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 86
pen penfras
July 21, 2022, 5:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from DB

You said Holloway had a special talent so I've highlighted where his special talent failed miserably. I think you scored a few own goals PP.

I mean Holloway thought he had a special talent, not I think he did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 86
DB
July 21, 2022, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from pen penfras

I mean Holloway thought he had a special talent, not I think he did.

He certainly did, conned the fans and left the club in the lurch as he jumped ship before it sank into the NL.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 86
aldi_01
July 21, 2022, 5:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

If you actually believe this then you’re flipping deluded…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 86
TheultimateMariner
July 21, 2022, 5:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Quoted from pen penfras

Absolutely not true! I know you’re probably one of Fenty’s acolytes, however I believe Holloway jumped ship because his business plan with Fenty got outed by the local media. I’m sure he would have stayed until (if) he was sacked if the May fiasco didn’t come out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 86
pen penfras
July 21, 2022, 6:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Absolutely not true! I know you’re probably one of Fenty’s acolytes, however Holloway jumped ship because his business plan with Fenty got outed by the local media. I’m sure he would have stayed until (if) he was sacked if the May fiasco didn’t come out

That's your opinion, not fact and there's zero evidence of any malfeasance. I don't think Holloway was in it primarily to make money. He jumped ship because it was going mammaries up and he saw a good excuse. If we were top of the league and the club was getting sold, he wouldn't have left. It was a chance to get out and save face.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 86
aldi_01
July 21, 2022, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

That's your opinion, not fact and there's zero evidence of any malfeasance. I don't think Holloway was in it primarily to make money. He jumped ship because it was going mammaries up and he saw a good excuse. If we were top of the league and the club was getting sold, he wouldn't have left. It was a chance to get out and save face.

Top of the league? With those flipping gone ruining the club…

I’ve worked with plenty of folk who’ve been involved with football at various levels in various roles…they were all pretty unanimous in their view of the fuvking charlatan.

If he was serious about his alleged investment he’d have stumped it up straight away, he wasn’t and was waiting for a deal that would’ve seen the club go under to happen. In the end he put less into the club than some of those 3000 new season ticket holders you and the other acolytes told us didn’t exist…

Whatever happened to the money raised for his mate?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 86
GrimExile
July 21, 2022, 6:41pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,281
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from psgmariner
A look through the archived threads show that on Holloway and pretty much everything else us posters are pretty much all clueless (myself included)!

Totally agree with you. I think nearly all of us were initially taken in by him. At our level Holloway had the sort of pedigree that we could only dream about. However he was at best out of touch at worse deluded. Fortunately we can look at where we are now with Paul Hurst at the helm and new owners who obviously know what they’re doing and realise what a lucky escape we’ve had. My god how things have changed for the better in such a short time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
buckstown
July 21, 2022, 6:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
This is a joke about Sisay right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
Mendonca1995
July 21, 2022, 7:05pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from pen penfras

I’ll only leave if the fans want me too ? 3 days later he’s done a runner also stating it’s because of these wanna be owners, you know these wanna be owners that have turned the club around from the @rse end of the pits to promotion and the biggest buzz around the whole town it has seen for a very long time 🤦🏻‍♂️

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
aldi_01
July 21, 2022, 7:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
So scared of covid he and the players partook in the playing of darts in a confined space, literally ignoring the guidance and rules costing the club a few grand…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
PoutonStepover
July 21, 2022, 7:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from DB

I bet Holloway was like a wet dream to agents.

“Hello Ian, I’ve got a raw talent for you, he can’t trap a bag of potatoes, but he’s scored 30 in the Welsh 3rd division and will play for £500 a week and free digs. He will cost you £0 as he’s out of contract, my fee is £10,000. Absolute bargain”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
ginnywings
July 21, 2022, 7:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

If only it was 4 out of their depth players he signed, we may have scraped staying in the league.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
coddy60
July 21, 2022, 7:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Holloway's only successes were with a high quality assistant manager coaching while he was a figurehead. Is there any surprise that when Limbrick "departed" he struggled.
In one of his last meetings with the clubs coaches, he said, I've signed a load of duds and I don't know what to do about it. He left less than a week later. Please dont ask for a source, I wouldn't like to drop one of the clubs best and also current staff in it....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
Poojah
July 21, 2022, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Nope. Jolley was sacked on the 18th November and Holloway appointed some 43 days later on NYE. If Holloway was interested for football reasons, why did it take nearly a month and a half for contact to be made and a deal reached?

Why on earth would Holloway, a multi-millionaire who has twice won promotion to the Premier League, based in Bristol, want to join Grimsby Town, a club 230 miles away that had spent its entire time back in League Two stagnating in the bottom third of the division, and with a playing budget befitting such a lowly status? It doesn’t make sense, does it? It can’t have been due to whatever measly salary we’d have been paying him, can it?

So what could it have been then? Let’s retrace our steps a moment. What was Fenty’s greatest motivation? He wanted his legacy, a new stadium delivered by him with his statue outside. Except every time he tried, he’d failed. For all the bluster, he had no idea how to finance the construction of a new ground.

And then one day, Fenty’s prayers are answered. Someone knocks on his door, claiming to hold all the financial keys required to unlock the rising of the Fentydome from the soil. There was just one problem; that person was Alex May, director of Tram Sports; a serially convicted and repeatedly jailed fraudster. Notts County fans, no virgins to dodgy takeovers themselves, had hounded him out of town in July 2019, only a few months earlier. And it wouldn’t wash with Town fans either. Or would it?

If you’re John Fenty, who even in the winter of 2019, was not doing too well in the approval ratings amongst Town fans, how do you convince the fan base that accepting significant investment from a consortium led by such a tremendously dodgy character is in the best interests of the club. Answer; you don’t - you get someone else to do it for you. And who better to do it than celebrity manager and professional sweet talker Ian Scott Holloway?

So Holloway arrives that fateful New Year’s Eve to quite the fanfare, with promises of joining the board, investing his own hard-earned cash and with the proclamation that “I’ve got a funny feeling you’re going to get that new stadium”. What could have given him that feeling?

So there’s the plan. He lands at Blundell Park on a massive charm offensive. An effective one too, if truth be told. He’s given budget to bring in new, better players that seemingly hadn’t been there for Jolley in the summer. Form picks up, Holloway is seen fraternising with all kinds of local groups and is hailed as the new messiah. Town fans hanging on his every word. Christ, even Fenty was getting his “credit where it’s due”, which tells you something about the mood-changing power of Holloway’s appointment.

Everything was perfect. Set-up beautifully so that when news broke of our unscrupulous suitors, Holloway was poised and ready to bat any fears away and dismiss concerns as being out of touch. “Look, I know football, I’ve worked for good owners and bad owners. I know what I’m talking about, and these guys are the real deal. The future of this club has never looked better”, he’d say, going off on a massive tangent half way through.

But then, somewhat ironically, just as the ink had been drying on his contract that cold December evening when he first rocked up to BP, someone was shagging a pangolin in downtown Wuhan. As butterfly effects go, this one was pretty big. The world suddenly shuts down in the biggest health and economic crisis in a century and all of a sudden May hasn’t got access to the finances needed to get his ‘investment’ over the line. At least not for now.

So when the football world finally begins to awake from its Covid hibernation, we’ve got a markedly different Holloway. Pre-season training starts late, we have only one pre-season friendly and his signings are lazy and for the most part absolutely hopeless. He seems confused and disinterested. His reason for being here, ergo a tidy payday for his crucial part in getting the May deal over the line, is effectively null and void.

And yet he’s stuck here. He has no good reason to hand his card in, and so he spends the next five months going through the motions, with complete disdain for the fans he claimed brought him here in the first place. He doesn’t want to be here, and it begins to show. The mask starts to slip.

Then it transpires that his investment of £100k to join the board was never made. In typical fashion, he brushes any suspicions aside. “I’ll be investing the money when my house in Bristol is sold”, he says, as if a man of his wealth doesn’t have access to £100k in liquid cash. Except his house was never up for sale. That money was only going in via his cut from the May deal.

And just as it appeared the May deal might be back on, it was off again. The May news breaks unofficially, with neither Holloway or Fenty (in particular) holding enough good will to suppress the ill feeling from the fans. The deal is dead, along with Fenty’s tenure at the club. Any chance of Holloway’s payday has gone up in thin air, and so he concocts a story about not being able to work with the new owners as they have attempted to make “inappropriate contact” with him, and makes his exit at the first opportunity.

Fúcking good job we had such fantastic new owners waiting in the wings, else that series of events could have all but killed the club. Count your blessings and never forget.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
Swansea_Mariner
July 21, 2022, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,477
Gold Stars: 63
I had to google this and when you do you'll see that there were several clubs racing for his signature - bit bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
forza ivano
July 21, 2022, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
IMHO Holloway was a changed man due to Covid
It's difficult to be a disinterested observer, given how he left us, but if you can take a step back then i believe you can see there were 2 Holloways and Covid completely fecked him mentally.
We were in  a mess when he joined us, but within 6 weeks he'd signed 4 good players and got us organised and playing well, backed by passionate support.
Those performances ,and the support, at Mansfield,Bradford and Orient were awe inspiring , amongst the best away days I've ever had with Town.
The contrast with season 20-21 is day and night , and i put that down to his mental state.I defy to think that anyone could've gone from such a level of competency to total incompetency in less than 6 month without what happened to him during lockdown, I can't believe that such an experienced manager, in the right state of mind, could've presided over such a shiite show
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
ginnywings
July 21, 2022, 8:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Poojah

Nope. Jolley was sacked on the 18th November and Holloway appointed some 43 days later on NYE. If Holloway was interested for football reasons, why did it take nearly a month and a half for contact to be made and a deal reached?

Why on earth would Holloway, a multi-millionaire who has twice won promotion to the Premier League, based in Bristol, want to join Grimsby Town, a club 230 miles away that had spent its entire time back in League Two stagnating in the bottom third of the division, and with a playing budget befitting such a lowly status? It doesn’t make sense, does it? It can’t have been due to whatever measly salary we’d have been paying him, can it?

So what could it have been then? Let’s retrace our steps a moment. What was Fenty’s greatest motivation? He wanted his legacy, a new stadium delivered by him with his statue outside. Except every time he tried, he’d failed. For all the bluster, he had no idea how to finance the construction of a new ground.

And then one day, Fenty’s prayers were answered. Someone knocks on his door, claiming to hold all the financial keys required to unlock the rising of the Fentydome from the soil. There was just one problem; that person was Alex May, director of Tram Sports; a serially convicted and repeatedly jailed fraudster. Notts County fans, no virgins to dodgy takeovers themselves, had hounded him out of town in July 2019, only a few months earlier. And it wouldn’t wash with Town fans either. Or would it?

If you’re John Fenty, who even in the winter of 2019, was not doing too well in the approval ratings amongst Town fans, how do you convince the fan base that accepting significant investment from a consortium led by such a tremendously dodgy character is in the best interests of the club. Answer; you don’t - you get someone else to do it for you. And who better to do it than celebrity manager and professional sweet talker Ian Scott Holloway?

So Holloway arrives that fateful New Year’s Eve to quite the fanfare, with promises of joining the board, investing his own hard-earned cash and with the proclamation that “I’ve got a funny feeling you’re going to get that new stadium”. What could have given him that feeling?

So there’s the plan. He lands at Blundell Park on a massive charm offensive. An effective one too, if truth be told. He’s given budget to bring in new, better players that seemingly hadn’t been there for Jolley in the summer. Form picks up, Holloway is seen fraternising with all kinds of local groups and is hailed as the new messiah. Town fans hanging on his every word. Christ, even Fenty was getting his “credit where it’s due”, which tells you something about the mood-changing power of Holloway’s appointment.

Everything was perfect. Set-up beautifully so that when news broke of our unscrupulous suitors, Holloway was poised and ready to bat any fears away and dismiss concerns as being out of touch. “Look, I know football, I’ve worked for good owners and bad owners. I know what I’m talking about, and these guys are the real deal. The future of this club has never looked better”, he’d say, going off on a massive tangent half way through.

But then, somewhat ironically, just as the ink had been drying on his contract that cold December evening when he first rocked up to BP, someone was shagging a pangolin in downtown Wuhan. As butterfly effects go, this one was pretty big. The world suddenly shuts down in the biggest health and economic crisis in a century and all of a sudden May hasn’t got access to the finances needed to get his ‘investment’ over the line. At least not for now.

So when the football world finally begins to awake from its Covid hibernation, we’ve got a markedly different Holloway. Pre-season training starts late, we have only one pre-season friendly and his signings are lazy and for the most part absolutely hopeless. He seems confused and disinterested. His reason for being here, ergo a tidy payday for his crucial part in getting the May deal over the line, is effectively null and void.

And yet he’s stuck here. He has no good reason to hand his card in, and so he spends the next five months going through the motions, with complete disdain for the fans he claimed brought him here in the first place. He doesn’t want to be here, and it begins to show. The mask starts to slip.

Then it transpires that his investment of £100k to join the board was never made. In typical fashion, he brushes any suspicions aside. “I’ll be investing the money when my house in Bristol is sold”, he says, as if a man of his wealth doesn’t have access to £100k in liquid cash. Except his house was never up for sale. That money was only going in via his cut from the May deal.

And just as it appeared the May deal might be back on, it was off again. The May news breaks unofficially, with neither Holloway or Fenty (in particular) holding enough good will to suppress the ill feeling from the fans. The deal is dead, along with Fenty’s tenure at the club. Any chance of Holloway’s payday has gone up in thin air, and so he concocts a story about not being able to work with the new owners as they have attempted to make “inappropriate contact” with him, and makes his exit at the first opportunity.

Fúcking good job we had such fantastic new owners waiting in the wings, else that series of events could have all but killed the club. Count your blessings and never forget.

And I thought he came here because his missus saw a black cat cross the road.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
aldi_01
July 21, 2022, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Holloway has always been a clown but with dodgy dealings, usually a decent back room staff and no doubt better players, he’s some how got them over the line.

Anyone that supports a club he’s been at generally can’t stand the bloke and will say little positive about him.

After that Orient game I took a train to my mates in Gipsy Hill…got chatting to some Millwall, after they finally stopped laughing at the appointment they deadpan looked at me and said ‘it’ll go mammaries up and he’ll run away’. Met an argyle fan that said the same.

The man’s a girl private. Dress it up all you want, he’s a girl private. He was here to line his pockets and get a deal that would’ve 100% sent the club the way of Bury over the line.

And whatever happened to that money raised?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
Hagrid
July 21, 2022, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,524
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from forza ivano
IMHO Holloway was a changed man due to Covid
It's difficult to be a disinterested observer, given how he left us, but if you can take a step back then i believe you can see there were 2 Holloways and Covid completely fecked him mentally.
We were in  a mess when he joined us, but within 6 weeks he'd signed 4 good players and got us organised and playing well, backed by passionate support.
Those performances ,and the support, at Mansfield,Bradford and Orient were awe inspiring , amongst the best away days I've ever had with Town.
The contrast with season 20-21 is day and night , and i put that down to his mental state.I defy to think that anyone could've gone from such a level of competency to total incompetency in less than 6 month without what happened to him during lockdown, I can't believe that such an experienced manager, in the right state of mind, could've presided over such a shiite show

See this is a complete myth about Holloway

Mansfield we played well backs to the wall ground a 1-0
Orient and bradford were just standard 1-1 draws?
We were excrement away at scunny, i remember us playing plymouth and swindon, possibly northampton too, all played us off the park. This idea that Holloway would have had us challenging if not for covid is all a load of excrement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
gtfc98
July 21, 2022, 8:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Poojah

And then one day, Fenty’s prayers are answered. Someone knocks on his door, claiming to hold all the financial keys required to unlock the rising of the Fentydome from the soil. There was just one problem; that person was Alex May, director of Tram Sports; a serially convicted and repeatedly jailed fraudster. Notts County fans, no virgins to dodgy takeovers themselves, had hounded him out of town in July 2019, only a few months earlier. And it wouldn’t wash with Town fans either. Or would it?

This is the most logical explanation I've seen.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
forza ivano
July 21, 2022, 8:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Hagrid

We were excrement away at scunny, i remember us playing plymouth and swindon, possibly northampton too, all played us off the park. This idea that Holloway would have had us challenging if not for covid is all a load of excrement

i didn't say that Holloway would've had us challenging. Jolley was sacked with us in deep trouble. Limbrick ,at best, steadied the ship . Holloway , pre covid, pulled us way from relegation. Mansfield we were down to 10 men early on, Bradford were going for promotion, and if i remember correctly orient were lucky to get a draw. Glennon, Clark, Grandin and Benson were all bloody good signings, plus he got Whitehouse and Clifton playing well.

All I'm saying is to try and take a step back - the 2 '3 month seasons' he was involved with were such polar opposites that it's difficult to think of any other rationale for the change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
Poojah
July 21, 2022, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

i didn't say that Holloway would've had us challenging. Jolley was sacked with us in deep trouble. Limbrick ,at best, steadied the ship . Holloway , pre covid, pulled us way from relegation. Mansfield we were down to 10 men early on, Bradford were going for promotion, and if i remember correctly orient were lucky to get a draw. Glennon, Clark, Grandin and Benson were all bloody good signings, plus he got Whitehouse and Clifton playing well.

All I'm saying is to try and take a step back - the 2 '3 month seasons' he was involved with were such polar opposites that it's difficult to think of any other rationale for the change

Even pre-Covid it was hit and miss; better than what came after but still hit and miss. Prior to beating Scunny away, we had lost 3-0 at home to Northampton then 3-0 away at Plymouth. Perfect it was not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
HerveJosse
July 21, 2022, 8:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,211
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from forza ivano

Usually conspiracy theories are just that. I prefer a simpler explanation . Took him until the end of the successful first three months spell to realise Fenty was a tosser wasn’t going to let him do as he liked and things were operated on a shoestring post covid . That and was a 60 year old 250 miles away from his family a would demotivate a saint and pull out those elements of his character that drunk off supporters of some of his past clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
Maringer
July 21, 2022, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Regardless of his reasons for coming and what he said when he was here (did he ever make that £100k purchase of shares?), we looked OK when he first arrived, simply because he managed to sign some good players.

After the pandemic hit and with the uncertainty, he obviously assumed the next season would be called off at some point (as did I), so didn't make a proper job of building a team or preparing them for the season, instead spending as little as possible on inexperienced signings and loannees with one or two experienced players thrown in to hopefully keep them on an even keel. Wouldn't surprise me if he agreed this route with Fenty beforehand, but it was clearly a stupid and incompetent gamble.

We weren't the only terribly shite team that season, but we were the least prepared.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
Maringer
July 21, 2022, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
P.S. Have we got a sell-on for Sisay?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
toontown
July 21, 2022, 10:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

I was at that scunjy game we weren't excrement even if we weren't great either.

They really were utter dogshit that day though and the reaction from their fans to their performance was furious. I know a few people from scunny and they said their mates reactions when they got back were ones of extreme anger that they had just layed down to us.

Holloway is a man motivator type manager, better at improving people's belief in themselves and creating confidence (when it's going well) with an established team that he just tweaks. As in when he first came to us.

As soon as it was down to him to creat the squad he was out of his depth and clueless, that's my opinion anyway. The covid stuff did seem to unbalance him too. But I think poojahs reason for him coming in the first place and his reason for leaving is probably a good guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 21, 2022, 11:02pm
Vodka Drinker
James Benson made his debut because Hessenthaler was poleaxed by Simeon Jackson straight from the kick off and I was very reliably told that Runaway tried to send him back to Burnley a week earlier!

For those players he got right early doors (Clarke, Benson, Glennon), there was also Grandin who was absolutely miles off the pace fitness wise and hasn't done anything since. He must have blocked Stockwood for "calling him behind his back" which didn't make sense whatsoever because he still has £500 of shares in the club. I'm sure he actually went as far as saying that he had invested £100k in the club so it caught people by surprise when he only had £500. We were a PLC at the time so it's very naïve of him to think we wouldn't find out.

Poojahs theory makes sense, what went on in late 2020 was disgraceful, yet he still maintained Fenty was a great guy and has controlled all lines of questioning since. If he truly was a decent guy who happened to get innocently caught up in that mess then I think he would have blabbed. His silence is a clear sign that he was implicated in the planned investment. I also think Day stood to do alright out of it or was heavily implicated out of blind loyalty to John because why else would you justify the potential investment from a convicted fraudster as ok because banks aren't people?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
GrimExile
July 21, 2022, 11:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
James Benson made his debut because Hessenthaler was poleaxed by Simeon Jackson straight from the kick off and I was very reliably told that Runaway tried to send him back to Burnley a week earlier!

For those players he got right early doors (Clarke, Benson, Glennon), there was also Grandin who was absolutely miles off the pace fitness wise and hasn't done anything since. He must have blocked Stockwood for "calling him behind his back" which didn't make sense whatsoever because he still has £500 of shares in the club. I'm sure he actually went as far as saying that he had invested £100k in the club so it caught people by surprise when he only had £500. We were a PLC at the time so it's very naïve of him to think we wouldn't find out.

Poojahs theory makes sense, what went on in late 2020 was disgraceful, yet he still maintained Fenty was a great guy and has controlled all lines of questioning since. If he truly was a decent guy who happened to get innocently caught up in that mess then I think he would have blabbed. His silence is a clear sign that he was implicated in the planned investment. I also think Day stood to do alright out of it or was heavily implicated out of blind loyalty to John because why else would you justify the potential investment from a convicted fraudster as ok because banks aren't people?

I also think it’s interesting that Holloway hasn’t had (as far as I’m aware) a sniff of a job in football apart from punditry on Quest. I think within the world of football they know what happened and consequently no one will touch him with a barge pole.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 21, 2022, 11:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimExile

I also think it’s interesting that Holloway hasn’t had (as far as I’m aware) a sniff of a job in football apart from punditry on Quest. I think within the world of football they know what happened and consequently no one will touch him with a barge pole.

I think his reputation with owners was probably known before he rocked up here. He was out of work 20 months before turning up at QPR and then he arrived at Blundell Park 18 months after leaving QPR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
GrimExile
July 21, 2022, 11:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think his reputation with owners was probably known before he rocked up here. He was out of work 20 months before turning up at QPR and then he arrived at Blundell Park 18 months after leaving QPR.

Good point, I hadn’t realised that. Thanks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
aldi_01
July 22, 2022, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
The only club that’s likely to take Holloway now is a desperate one. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve worked with many folk who are or have been involved in football, across various levels with one currently the right hand man for Forests youth system and worked for a significant amount of time at Man City…their view of holloway was unanimous…

He only gets a gig on the TV Becauee media luvvies think he funny…blokes a girl private. Simple as that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
diehardmariner
July 22, 2022, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from forza ivano

Prior to the season getting curtailed I thought we had an outside chance of sneaking into a play-off spot, after the Newport win on 25th Feb we were 11 points off 7th with 12 games to go, one of which was a game in hand.  Probably fair to say that's ambitious and optimistic but that is the nature of a football fan, no?  Equally so we had all got caught up in the Holloway charm offensive, despite many claiming they saw through him from day one...

As context for the improvement, the day Holloway walked into the building we were 4th bottom and just five points of the relegation places.  

There's absolutely no doubt were inconsistent in those 3 months, but the turnaround was impressive.  It took Limbrick the whole of his tenure as caretaker to stabilise us.  Absolute credit goes to him for that and he certainly laid the foundations for Holloway to build upon, but we were poor.  To a man, all of Holloway's signings improved what we had.  That was what he brought, the ability to bring in players (sadly this skill seemed to leave him in the following months).  He also managed to get the best out of players who weren't quite firing previously for us, like Whitehouse and to an extent Vernam too, although the signs were already showing under Limbrick.

On reflection, a play-off push wouldn't have ever happened.  It was too much and we were too inconsistent.  But in a parallel universe and focusing solely on the footballing side of things, that side wouldn't have neem too many additions away from challenging.  

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
aldi_01
July 22, 2022, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t believe we were a decent side, we made a couple of good signings but a good side isn’t as inconsistent as that and I don’t believe for one minute Holloway would’ve sorted it. When your focus to come to a club is about fronting a dodgy deal which makes you and your chums rich, the football was always gonna suffer.

Not everyone was taken in by the bullshit and hyperbole surrounding the straw chewing moron but I get why some were. It was like his interview/a where he kept saying ‘it’s not about me’ which literally made it about him.

Holloway is probably funny if he’s not your manager but once he is you realise he’s a charlatan.

My only positive memory from his tenure is the scunny win…and probably the day he flipping ran away after his mate had been found out to be a crook…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
Jarmo.Is.God
July 22, 2022, 10:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
All i'll say on the matter is, thank god for Lloyd and the Telegraph, who both got the news out there very quickly, and stopped it in it's tracks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 22, 2022, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Prior to the season getting curtailed I thought we had an outside chance of sneaking into a play-off spot, after the Newport win on 25th Feb we were 11 points off 7th with 12 games to go, one of which was a game in hand.  Probably fair to say that's ambitious and optimistic but that is the nature of a football fan, no?  Equally so we had all got caught up in the Holloway charm offensive, despite many claiming they saw through him from day one...

As context for the improvement, the day Holloway walked into the building we were 4th bottom and just five points of the relegation places.  

There's absolutely no doubt were inconsistent in those 3 months, but the turnaround was impressive.  It took Limbrick the whole of his tenure as caretaker to stabilise us.  Absolute credit goes to him for that and he certainly laid the foundations for Holloway to build upon, but we were poor.  To a man, all of Holloway's signings improved what we had.  That was what he brought, the ability to bring in players (sadly this skill seemed to leave him in the following months).  He also managed to get the best out of players who weren't quite firing previously for us, like Whitehouse and to an extent Vernam too, although the signs were already showing under Limbrick.

On reflection, a play-off push wouldn't have ever happened.  It was too much and we were too inconsistent.  But in a parallel universe and focusing solely on the footballing side of things, that side wouldn't have neem too many additions away from challenging.  

I will defend Limbrick taking time to turn things around because he was operating outside a transfer window. I think the fact we played our best stuff under Runaway when Limbrick wasn't furloughed or relieved of his duties say a hell of a lot about both people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
Swansea_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 10:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,477
Gold Stars: 63
5 pages and about 3 posts about Sisay lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
Superdan147
July 22, 2022, 10:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Quoted from Poojah

A seriously good read. Isn’t poojah just the best poster on the fishy bar none? Love reading his/her comments
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
diehardmariner
July 22, 2022, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I don’t believe we were a decent side, we made a couple of good signings but a good side isn’t as inconsistent as that and I don’t believe for one minute Holloway would’ve sorted it. When your focus to come to a club is about fronting a dodgy deal which makes you and your chums rich, the football was always gonna suffer.

Not everyone was taken in by the bullshit and hyperbole surrounding the straw chewing moron but I get why some were. It was like his interview/a where he kept saying ‘it’s not about me’ which literally made it about him.

Holloway is probably funny if he’s not your manager but once he is you realise he’s a charlatan.

My only positive memory from his tenure is the scunny win…and probably the day he flipping ran away after his mate had been found out to be a crook…

15 games from when he walks in to the curtailing of the season - 7 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats.  24 points.
15 games prior to him walking in - 2 wins, 6 draws, 7 defeats.  12 points.

The 15 games prior, over a course of a season gets you 37/38 points.  That gets you relegated from League Two every season, even last year with how utterly tripe Scunthorpe and Oldham were you still go down.  Hell, we were so bad for the vast majority of the 20/21 season and we still got 43 points.

The 15 games Holloway had, over the course of a season gets you 73/74 points.  You would be disappointed to miss out on the play-off places with that.  Looking at it another way, his Points Per Game was 1.60.  The final league placings were decided on PPG, to the point we dropped a place owing to the extra game we had played over Newport.  1.60 was enough to finish 6th that season.

Of course, football isn't played over just 15 games and it's all largely conjecture and ifs and buts.  Yet there's little doubt we improved under him considerably, in that period.  As said, I'm talking on the pitch only.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
diehardmariner
July 22, 2022, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I will defend Limbrick taking time to turn things around because he was operating outside a transfer window. I think the fact we played our best stuff under Runaway when Limbrick wasn't furloughed or relieved of his duties say a hell of a lot about both people.

Absolutely!

At the time Limbrick got a lot of pelters because the football was so awful to watch.  But he inherited an absolute shower.  Not only was the quality in the squad lacking, but the lack of confidence and even organisation was painful.  He made us harder to beat and slowly introduced the little bits of quality we had into the team, nicely timed for when Holloway came in.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
OddShapedBalls
July 22, 2022, 11:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
My favourite part of the whole rant was this gem, and then I realised it didn't say 'bat-terfly effect' and my brain is now inserting it's own puns at random.  Still funny though, more irate rants please folks.

someone was shagging a pangolin in downtown Wuhan. As butterfly effects go, this one was pretty big.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
Poojah
July 22, 2022, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Superdan147

A seriously good read. Isn’t poojah just the best poster on the fishy bar none? Love reading his/her comments

He / Him / His / Jizz

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
coddy60
July 22, 2022, 11:26am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Superdan147

I agree, but surely you could have just posted without quoting all that text, my finger now has rsi from scrolling down 🤨
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
buckstown
July 23, 2022, 9:27am
Champagne Drinker
I see he's been on trial at Stanley, not signed for them. That makes more sense!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
RonMariner
July 23, 2022, 12:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from aldi_01
Holloway has always been a clown but with dodgy dealings, usually a decent back room staff and no doubt better players, he’s some how got them over the line.

Anyone that supports a club he’s been at generally can’t stand the bloke and will say little positive about him.

Indeed. At the time I asked a Leicester fan if he though Holloway would get us to L1. He said probably, because that's where he took Leicester.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 23, 2022, 12:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Bristol city and Shrewsbury interested in him too apparently 🤦🏻‍♂️🫣

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
aldi_01
July 23, 2022, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Indeed. At the time I asked a Leicester fan if he though Holloway would get us to L1. He said probably, because that's where he took Leicester.

I mean, the muppet said the Oystens were decent people…if anyone needed an alarm bell that should’ve been in.

flipping charlatan…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
Davec
July 24, 2022, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
It seems Sisay has done really well on trial at Stanley and the majority of their fans are literally wanking over him, it would appear he looks a class above whilst on trial.

Wonder if he signs he will be able to replicate that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
Abdul19
July 24, 2022, 12:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Davec
the majority of their fans are literally wanking over him

Crikey  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
aldi_01
July 24, 2022, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
It seems Sisay has done really well on trial at Stanley and the majority of their fans are literally wanking over him, it would appear he looks a class above whilst on trial.

Wonder if he signs he will be able to replicate that.

A crowd made up of Ray Charles and Stevie wonder I see…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
Maringer
July 24, 2022, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I find the use of the word 'literally', literally disturbing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
Grimsby2012
July 24, 2022, 7:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Davec
majority of their fans are literally wanking over him.

Accrington do like their milk

Who are they

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
Mayaman
July 24, 2022, 7:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

For God's sake Poojah, take over the reporting of all things Town.  Such eloquent writing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 24, 2022, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman

For God's sake Poojah, take over the reporting of all things Town.  Such eloquent writing.

He would definitely make navigating adverts on Grimsby Live much more appealing. It might even make me tolerate watching Luke Green frying eggs on his car and getting lost in a 5 acre maize maze too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
BulkyMariner
July 25, 2022, 6:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 8
Just signed for Accrington. I'm gobsmacked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
Northbank Mariner
July 25, 2022, 6:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
And, not just him, Montel Gibson is slamming them in for Ilkeston right now...think Sissay will struggle though, it's okay doing it the Welsh league, even in friendlies, but once he's upon against competitive defenders he'll be found seriously wanting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
Poojah
July 25, 2022, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Two year deal 'n all. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 25, 2022, 6:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Quoted from aldi_01

A crowd made up of Ray Charles and Stevie wonder I see…

They don’t/didn’t

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
pontoonlew
July 25, 2022, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
I’ve no doubt it’s a bizarre signing but some on here don’t half have some in depth opinions on his game given they can only have seen him once for us.

Plenty of our fans rated Montel Gibson and Ira Jackson who had ample opportunities and were absolutely flipping woeful, so Sisay need not worry too much if those same people don’t rate him.

Good luck to him, it’s a huge step up, that’s for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
ginnywings
July 25, 2022, 7:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Clearly has more than he showed here, but as Lew alluded in his post, football fans are not the best judge of players, especially ones who didn't get much chance to settle.

We've seen other players look clueless, then go on to have a decent career.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
ex-merseymariner
July 25, 2022, 7:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’ve no doubt it’s a bizarre signing but some on here don’t half have some in depth opinions on his game given they can only have seen him once for us.

Plenty of our fans rated Montel Gibson and Ira Jackson who had ample opportunities and were absolutely flipping woeful, so Sisay need not worry too much if those same people don’t rate him.

You are wrong in your first sentence.  I've seen him play, for Clee Town,  and was far from impressed, and am very surprised he's found a league club.  Must assume he's improved a lot, maybe beefed up .

Oddly enough thanks to the pandemic sisay was one of just 3 town players I saw that season in person, the other two being curran and painter in the same game.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 25, 2022, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I saw him come on as a sub for Clee Town a whole 5 levels below Accrington and he was absolutely dreadful. People have said what players thought when he turned up at Cheapside too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
toontown
July 25, 2022, 9:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
And, not just him, Montel Gibson is slamming them in for Ilkeston right now...think Sissay will struggle though, it's okay doing it the Welsh league, even in friendlies, but once he's upon against competitive defenders he'll be found seriously wanting

Yeah but aren't they 3 or 4 tiers below league 2, hardly surprising he can muster some goals at that level, certainly irrelevant to being deemed surplus to requirements by us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
Northbank Mariner
July 25, 2022, 9:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from toontown

Yeah but aren't they 3 or 4 tiers below league 2, hardly surprising he can muster some goals at that level, certainly irrelevant to being deemed surplus to requirements by us.

Roughly the same standard as where Sissay has been playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 25, 2022, 9:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Louis Robles hasn't disgraced himself in the Welsh top flight which probably tells you everything you need to know about the standard too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
buckstown
July 25, 2022, 10:00pm
Champagne Drinker
It seems extraordinary that he's got a two year deal at a league one club, but maybe he's improved and developed. He came on as a second half sub in their friendly against Sunderland and the fans thought he had a significant impact.
If I see that Montel has signed for a championship club I'm giving up on football as I've clearly lost the plot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
blundellpork
July 25, 2022, 10:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from buckstown
It seems extraordinary that he's got a two year deal at a league one club, but maybe he's improved and developed. He came on as a second half sub in their friendly against Sunderland and the fans thought he had a significant impact.
If I see that Montel has signed for a championship club I'm giving up on football as I've clearly lost the plot

Await Championship reveal party
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
ex-merseymariner
July 26, 2022, 6:02am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Quoted from buckstown

Unless it's Hull, as that would be funny, or anywhere Runaway rocks up as manager/director of football/head of recruitment/chairman's bezzie mate

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 86
GrimPol
July 26, 2022, 2:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Absolutely not true! I know you’re probably one of Fenty’s acolytes, however I believe Holloway jumped ship because his business plan with Fenty got outed by the local media. I’m sure he would have stayed until (if) he was sacked if the May fiasco didn’t come out

Strange about the way Holloway took umbrage ." Holloway blamed the “inappropriate” actions of the club’s prospective new owners as the main reason for his decision" it said in the media.  I can't remember JF making a fuss at all.
I just think GTFC dropped to position 20, he had an excuse (poor one) and he was off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 86
RichMariner
July 26, 2022, 3:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
To my knowledge, no one ever asked Holloway directly whether he was aware of Alex May's proposed involvement before the Telegraph blew the issue wide open.

As a board member, I'm almost certain he did. He must have known.

Therefore, Holloway was an enabler, and complicit in attracting a convicted fraudster to the club. But he was able to avoid that line of questioning as Fenty was the main talking point on that issue.

Essentially he hid behind Fenty and claimed that he only came to Grimsby for the football.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 82 - 86
aldi_01
July 26, 2022, 3:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
To my knowledge, no one ever asked Holloway directly whether he was aware of Alex May's proposed involvement before the Telegraph blew the issue wide open.

Therefore, Holloway was an enabler, and complicit in attracting a convicted fraudster to the club. But he was able to avoid that line of questioning as Fenty was the main talking point on that issue.

Essentially he hid behind Fenty and claimed that he only came to Grimsby for the football.

Guess we can add liar to the list of things he is then…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 86
Maringer
July 26, 2022, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Guess we can add liar to the list of things he is then…

I thought that was already on the list?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 27, 2022, 12:36am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

It's pretty hard to be questioned when you disappear and surround yourself with journalists on Sky Sports News that think you're funny and daren't ask a probing question.

He knew about it alright, he avoided the first initial questions and as he saw the heat rising, he rode off into the sunset but was ocassionally seen doing his weekly shop in Tesco wearing his town clobber whilst Hurst dealt with sorting out his mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 86
RonMariner
July 27, 2022, 12:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Though I am not one for conspiracy theories generally, I think Poojar's analysis of events is the most credible so far put forward.  It seems to fit all the known facts.

Thank Christ they have all gone.

Thank goodness for the tyre kickers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 86
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alhagi Touray sisay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.