July 21, 2022, 6:41pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from psgmariner
A look through the archived threads show that on Holloway and pretty much everything else us posters are pretty much all clueless (myself included)!

Totally agree with you. I think nearly all of us were initially taken in by him. At our level Holloway had the sort of pedigree that we could only dream about. However he was at best out of touch at worse deluded. Fortunately we can look at where we are now with Paul Hurst at the helm and new owners who obviously know what they’re doing and realise what a lucky escape we’ve had. My god how things have changed for the better in such a short time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
buckstown
July 21, 2022, 6:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
This is a joke about Sisay right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
Mendonca1995
July 21, 2022, 7:05pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from pen penfras

That's your opinion, not fact and there's zero evidence of any malfeasance. I don't think Holloway was in it primarily to make money. He jumped ship because it was going mammaries up and he saw a good excuse. If we were top of the league and the club was getting sold, he wouldn't have left. It was a chance to get out and save face.

I’ll only leave if the fans want me too ? 3 days later he’s done a runner also stating it’s because of these wanna be owners, you know these wanna be owners that have turned the club around from the @rse end of the pits to promotion and the biggest buzz around the whole town it has seen for a very long time 🤦🏻‍♂️

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
aldi_01
July 21, 2022, 7:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So scared of covid he and the players partook in the playing of darts in a confined space, literally ignoring the guidance and rules costing the club a few grand…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
PoutonStepover
July 21, 2022, 7:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from DB

You said Holloway had a special talent so I've highlighted where his special talent failed miserably. I think you scored a few own goals PP.

I bet Holloway was like a wet dream to agents.

“Hello Ian, I’ve got a raw talent for you, he can’t trap a bag of potatoes, but he’s scored 30 in the Welsh 3rd division and will play for £500 a week and free digs. He will cost you £0 as he’s out of contract, my fee is £10,000. Absolute bargain”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
ginnywings
July 21, 2022, 7:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think so. He was only buying £100k of shares to show his commitment. That wouldn't have made him anything significant regardless of what came next. He wanted a legacy and thought having boardroom influence would let his special talent shine through.

If Covid hadn't happened, things could be very different. There was a buzz around the place and he brought in some very good players as well as getting others to perform better. I think the problem was that he believed he could get something out of poor players because he was a motivator. Unfortunately, he signed 4 non league players without ever seeing them play because he liked the cut of their jib and they weren't up to the job. And the whole preparation was poor because he was terrified of Covid and thought the season would get cancelled.

If only it was 4 out of their depth players he signed, we may have scraped staying in the league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
coddy60
July 21, 2022, 7:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Holloway's only successes were with a high quality assistant manager coaching while he was a figurehead. Is there any surprise that when Limbrick "departed" he struggled.
In one of his last meetings with the clubs coaches, he said, I've signed a load of duds and I don't know what to do about it. He left less than a week later. Please dont ask for a source, I wouldn't like to drop one of the clubs best and also current staff in it....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
Poojah
July 21, 2022, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from pen penfras

That's your opinion, not fact and there's zero evidence of any malfeasance. I don't think Holloway was in it primarily to make money. He jumped ship because it was going mammaries up and he saw a good excuse. If we were top of the league and the club was getting sold, he wouldn't have left. It was a chance to get out and save face.

Nope. Jolley was sacked on the 18th November and Holloway appointed some 43 days later on NYE. If Holloway was interested for football reasons, why did it take nearly a month and a half for contact to be made and a deal reached?

Why on earth would Holloway, a multi-millionaire who has twice won promotion to the Premier League, based in Bristol, want to join Grimsby Town, a club 230 miles away that had spent its entire time back in League Two stagnating in the bottom third of the division, and with a playing budget befitting such a lowly status? It doesn’t make sense, does it? It can’t have been due to whatever measly salary we’d have been paying him, can it?

So what could it have been then? Let’s retrace our steps a moment. What was Fenty’s greatest motivation? He wanted his legacy, a new stadium delivered by him with his statue outside. Except every time he tried, he’d failed. For all the bluster, he had no idea how to finance the construction of a new ground.

And then one day, Fenty’s prayers are answered. Someone knocks on his door, claiming to hold all the financial keys required to unlock the rising of the Fentydome from the soil. There was just one problem; that person was Alex May, director of Tram Sports; a serially convicted and repeatedly jailed fraudster. Notts County fans, no virgins to dodgy takeovers themselves, had hounded him out of town in July 2019, only a few months earlier. And it wouldn’t wash with Town fans either. Or would it?

If you’re John Fenty, who even in the winter of 2019, was not doing too well in the approval ratings amongst Town fans, how do you convince the fan base that accepting significant investment from a consortium led by such a tremendously dodgy character is in the best interests of the club. Answer; you don’t - you get someone else to do it for you. And who better to do it than celebrity manager and professional sweet talker Ian Scott Holloway?

So Holloway arrives that fateful New Year’s Eve to quite the fanfare, with promises of joining the board, investing his own hard-earned cash and with the proclamation that “I’ve got a funny feeling you’re going to get that new stadium”. What could have given him that feeling?

So there’s the plan. He lands at Blundell Park on a massive charm offensive. An effective one too, if truth be told. He’s given budget to bring in new, better players that seemingly hadn’t been there for Jolley in the summer. Form picks up, Holloway is seen fraternising with all kinds of local groups and is hailed as the new messiah. Town fans hanging on his every word. Christ, even Fenty was getting his “credit where it’s due”, which tells you something about the mood-changing power of Holloway’s appointment.

Everything was perfect. Set-up beautifully so that when news broke of our unscrupulous suitors, Holloway was poised and ready to bat any fears away and dismiss concerns as being out of touch. “Look, I know football, I’ve worked for good owners and bad owners. I know what I’m talking about, and these guys are the real deal. The future of this club has never looked better”, he’d say, going off on a massive tangent half way through.

But then, somewhat ironically, just as the ink had been drying on his contract that cold December evening when he first rocked up to BP, someone was shagging a pangolin in downtown Wuhan. As butterfly effects go, this one was pretty big. The world suddenly shuts down in the biggest health and economic crisis in a century and all of a sudden May hasn’t got access to the finances needed to get his ‘investment’ over the line. At least not for now.

So when the football world finally begins to awake from its Covid hibernation, we’ve got a markedly different Holloway. Pre-season training starts late, we have only one pre-season friendly and his signings are lazy and for the most part absolutely hopeless. He seems confused and disinterested. His reason for being here, ergo a tidy payday for his crucial part in getting the May deal over the line, is effectively null and void.

And yet he’s stuck here. He has no good reason to hand his card in, and so he spends the next five months going through the motions, with complete disdain for the fans he claimed brought him here in the first place. He doesn’t want to be here, and it begins to show. The mask starts to slip.

Then it transpires that his investment of £100k to join the board was never made. In typical fashion, he brushes any suspicions aside. “I’ll be investing the money when my house in Bristol is sold”, he says, as if a man of his wealth doesn’t have access to £100k in liquid cash. Except his house was never up for sale. That money was only going in via his cut from the May deal.

And just as it appeared the May deal might be back on, it was off again. The May news breaks unofficially, with neither Holloway or Fenty (in particular) holding enough good will to suppress the ill feeling from the fans. The deal is dead, along with Fenty’s tenure at the club. Any chance of Holloway’s payday has gone up in thin air, and so he concocts a story about not being able to work with the new owners as they have attempted to make “inappropriate contact” with him, and makes his exit at the first opportunity.

Fúcking good job we had such fantastic new owners waiting in the wings, else that series of events could have all but killed the club. Count your blessings and never forget.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
Swansea_Mariner
July 21, 2022, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
I had to google this and when you do you'll see that there were several clubs racing for his signature - bit bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
forza ivano
July 21, 2022, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
IMHO Holloway was a changed man due to Covid
It's difficult to be a disinterested observer, given how he left us, but if you can take a step back then i believe you can see there were 2 Holloways and Covid completely fecked him mentally.
We were in  a mess when he joined us, but within 6 weeks he'd signed 4 good players and got us organised and playing well, backed by passionate support.
Those performances ,and the support, at Mansfield,Bradford and Orient were awe inspiring , amongst the best away days I've ever had with Town.
The contrast with season 20-21 is day and night , and i put that down to his mental state.I defy to think that anyone could've gone from such a level of competency to total incompetency in less than 6 month without what happened to him during lockdown, I can't believe that such an experienced manager, in the right state of mind, could've presided over such a shiite show
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alhagi Touray sisay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.