3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
July 19, 2022, 11:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Solid enough performance. Organised and solid in defence. Glennon is a superb signing for us as we now have a pair of attacking full / wing backs. We still need another CB. Maybe another loan for Andy Smith if we can't persuad Bennett to take a huge pay cut  
Greene looks a beast and a solid shield in the middle giving Holahan and Morris more scope to get forward and create play. Bryn in particular has a good range of passing and vision and always wanted the ball.
Think it's going to be a big season for Maguire-Drew. He looks leaner this season and his set plays could be vital. Nice to see him last the 90 minutes. Got some good options out wide also when all fit.
Orsi worked his socks off but doesn't play Taylor's role as well and was a little  isolated at times. But like the look of him, maybe as a 2 up front.
McAtee was his usual lazy self and obviously did nothing  
Overall a good workout against a good league one team.
In the 2nd half when we pressed them higher from the goal kicks we was able to get on the ball better and we were the only ones attacking in the 2nd period. With a bit more luck we could have won it but happy with the performance.
We will be under the radar for most of the season but may surprise quite a few people this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
jamesgtfc
July 19, 2022, 11:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,052
Gold Stars: 190
McAtee doesn't know the definition of a friendly. Efete looked strong and powerful going forward but until Green clashed heads with their player it was a pretty dull affair. That challenge seemed to raise the game a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
toontown
July 20, 2022, 12:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
It was actually hot in the upper for a night game - surely a first. Was glad of the free water that's for sure.

One of the lincoln fans was topless but had chosen to wear a burberry scarf which was quite amusing.

Green looks like a real terrier in midfield. At the moment with our squad incomplete and carrying a few injuries and bearing in mind I've only seen a couple of friendlies we appear to be solid defensively but maybe lacking a bit of goal threat. Hopefully that will change as we continue recruitment and players come back from injury.

I would say we are a minimum of a keeper, central defender, central midfielder, striker and possibly a wide player away from our squad yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
aldi_01
July 20, 2022, 7:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I thought Orsi came in to the game when it got niggly and town were getting stuck in and pushing Lincoln.

I’d say both teams were lacking something up top but we did spent all last season bemoaning the lack of a front man…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
diehardmariner
July 20, 2022, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
Definitely agree that the, ahem, clash of heads brought the game to life.  Was as quite turgid affair in the first half.

Bang on whoever said that Morris and Green is too defensive as a pairing.  They both looked strong, competitive and more than acceptable on the ball.  But it was only when Holohan came on that we looked to have any drive from midfield and someone willing to go beyond the frontman.  Both look excellent additions, just not sure as a pairing.  Added to that Clifton as one of the widemen and it limited what we offer going forward.   Perhaps if we start 2 of Wearne/Khan/JMD as the wingers then that opens up the need for two deeper central midfielders.

Very solid at the back.  It never led to anything but few occasions where a ball over the top looked to have beaten Waterfall and Pearson for pace so that remains a slight concern if they're a pairing we use.  Efete was excellent but I do understand the comments about his defensive game.   I agree that he's never cost us a goal, but simply be playing further up the pitch it exposes us more.  Equally so it's a long time since the modern fullback has just had to focus on defending.  Cropper doesn't go forward as much and therefore doesn't leave as many gaps.  

Orsi looks a good signing but definitely not a Taylor type player.  If Taylor isn't fit we'll need to bring someone in who can hold things up or change or style of play completely.  

All in a good run out.  Quite impressed with what we saw and who we've brought in.  Definitely need a couple of additions to complete the picture but I don't think Hurst is under any illusions otherwise.  Lincoln were quite average to say the least, no idea if that was a full strength side but other than a couple of tricky individuals they did very little to suggest it's going to be anything but a hard season for them.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Northbank Mariner
July 20, 2022, 11:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quite enjoyed that last night, took if for what is what, a friendly and a rum out for the boys
I say friendly, don't think Green or Macatee got that memo though!..
Biggest positive for me was JMD, lasted a full 90 minutes and didn't look gassed out neither, he's a clever player and could prove pivotal this season at unlocking tight defences.
Watched Orsi to see what he gives us, endless energy but without the correct distribution to him he looked a bit like a dog chasing a balloon tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
gtfc_chris
July 20, 2022, 11:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
I thought the game was quite enjoyable, the obvious omission to it was goals and clear chances. I liked how we went about our football, thought we were defensively pretty solid but I'm not sure how Orsi will fit into the picture as it existed last night. To me, he struggled to consistently get to the ball first when playing with back to goal and we didn't find a means of 'playing through' for him which made him ineffective for us. Sure he can be a good player for us, but off this singular showing I can't see that being in the role he played last night. In a parallel world with Taylor playing last night I think we might have just won the game with him holding up and getting JMD and McAtee through for more clear chances.

Loved Green and Morris. Agree with a point about them both being sat back a touch. Perhaps this was by design to consider counter attacking threats we could pose but especially Morris I think could do some damage with his passing range further forward. I did notice - especially in the first half - that Morris would often come into the right back slot when Crocombe was in safe possession and Efete would wander further forward to double up with JMD, look forward to seeing if that can bear fruit next season.

Hard to tell given the conditions and the need to temper the tempo to reduce injury risks etc and with fitness levels not quite fully there but the game certainly didn't lessen my belief that we could be genuine contenders to be in and around the play-offs come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
diehardmariner
July 20, 2022, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
Only a cameo but Khouri looked excellent when he came on.  Lots of tenacity coupled with quick feet and good body strength in the middle of the park.

He could be a real breakthrough player this season.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Tommy
July 20, 2022, 1:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner
Only a cameo but Khouri looked excellent when he came on.  Lots of tenacity coupled with quick feet and good body strength in the middle of the park.

He could be a real breakthrough player this season.

I thought the same. Couple of strong challenges and then that great bit of clever use of his body in the middle of the park twisting away from two challenges one after another.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
rancido
July 20, 2022, 1:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 102
I took it for what it was , a pre-season friendly giving the squad a semi-competetive run out. Very difficult to be critical as a large part of the squad only got together 2 weeks ago! Imo I think it is wrong to draw any conclusions on how players will perform considering most of the training they have done so far will be fitness based and not tactical based.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.