5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
November 14, 2022, 9:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Since becoming more conscious of this issue I have observed and been amazed how many times the ball is headed in games at our level. League 2 typically around 120 headers per game. One lower league game recorded 235 headers. Much less in higher leagues and in European Leagues  . One French premier League game recorded 10. Change at some point is inevitable.Hopefully after I have gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
toontown
November 14, 2022, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
A study I saw suggested goal kicks and kicks from the keepers hands (which tended to have the most impact on players heads as they plummet back down, rather than say a cross) should be required to bounce before they can be headed. That way an awful lot of the force is removed and at a stroke the number of worst (I.e. greatest force) headers is decreased dramatically.

The study indicated that that alone would allow adult male players to continue with the rest of the rules unchanged. They did say that youth and female football may be different due to the much lower strength of the neck for such players that meant impacts were less absorbed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
GYinScuntland
November 14, 2022, 11:28pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Poojah

I may be mistaken but I think the lighter ball theory has largely been disproven. Balls are indeed much lighter, but they are also designed to travel faster so in effect the benefit gained through reduced weight is lost through increased velocity; the latter netting out the former.

The reality is, the game of football would be changed beyond recognition if heading were suddenly outlawed, just as boxing would be if punches to the head were banned. How different would our Wrexham play-off game have looked without headers.

I’m not up to speed with where we are with the science in this, but surely the most straightforward solution is to drastically reduce the amount of heading performed throughout a footballer’s playing career.

For a start, avoid it entirely up to a certain age. Realistically, up until a certain age the kids struggle to get the ball off the floor anyway so time is better spent on technical skills with a focus on short, sharp passing routines. Beyond that, limit heading to a certain amount of minutes of training time per week - perhaps one or two routines per week and one large sided game where it is permitted.

Many jobs have occupational hazards or exposure to a certain level of risk, be it radiology or offshore work. Sometimes risk cannot be eliminated, but rather managed as best as possible. I think that’s the approach football has to take.

Along with VAR and risk assessments with every corner it's going to be bloody hard trying to catch the bus home after a night match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
OddShapedBalls
November 15, 2022, 10:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
I could well be making this up, but isn't the vast majority of data and claims about heading the ball back from when it was  made out of pig iron and required a rugby forwards' neck muscles to head it?  

The modern balls are incredibly light with a cushioned surface (generally) so it's a different landscape and I would imagine more science being applied to the ball would have better gains than making rules around heading more complicated.  For example if you have to let the ball bounce first, you'll just move the issue on to the bounce as 2 or more players crunch in for it......but I'm just a pleb who's too broken to play anymore so what do I know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
ginnywings
November 28, 2022, 9:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
BraStrap
November 28, 2022, 10:04am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
I could well be making this up, but isn't the vast majority of data and claims about heading the ball back from when it was  made out of pig iron and required a rugby forwards' neck muscles to head it?  

The modern balls are incredibly light with a cushioned surface (generally) so it's a different landscape and I would imagine more science being applied to the ball would have better gains than making rules around heading more complicated.  For example if you have to let the ball bounce first, you'll just move the issue on to the bounce as 2 or more players crunch in for it......but I'm just a pleb who's too broken to play anymore so what do I know.

Lighter balls travel faster so the impact is the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Heading the ball

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.