moosey_club
November 12, 2022, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from White_shorts
I apologise if this story about Mick Lyons and Alzheimer's has been mentioned already:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-everton-captain-mick-lyons-26941041

Its an awful condition........but I would quite like to forget his tenure.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
lukeo
November 12, 2022, 11:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
Let's stop people heading a soft sphere with air in it but let 2 people into a ring and punch intercourse out of each other... Makes sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
grimsby pete
November 14, 2022, 1:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I know many people mainly through one of my previous jobs that suffered with dementia .

Nearly all of them had never headed a ball in their life.

Football will never give up heading a ball because it would be the end of the game we love.

Today's football's are far lighter than the leather ones I played with as a youth.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
November 14, 2022, 10:17am
Guest User
I played football regularly to the age of 38, where in my younger years I was a striker and as age caught up with me, I played at Centre Half.  I have no idea how many times I headed a ball, but it must be in the thousands, and I'm still here at 76 years of age.  On the other hand, my mother who never in her life headed a football DID have dementia and died at the age of 93.
Reply: 34 - 45
Poojah
November 14, 2022, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,898
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from grimsby pete
I know many people mainly through one of my previous jobs that suffered with dementia .

Football will never give up heading a ball because it would be the end of the game we love.

Today's football's are far lighter than the leather ones I played with as a youth.

I may be mistaken but I think the lighter ball theory has largely been disproven. Balls are indeed much lighter, but they are also designed to travel faster so in effect the benefit gained through reduced weight is lost through increased velocity; the latter netting out the former.

The reality is, the game of football would be changed beyond recognition if heading were suddenly outlawed, just as boxing would be if punches to the head were banned. How different would our Wrexham play-off game have looked without headers.

I’m not up to speed with where we are with the science in this, but surely the most straightforward solution is to drastically reduce the amount of heading performed throughout a footballer’s playing career.

For a start, avoid it entirely up to a certain age. Realistically, up until a certain age the kids struggle to get the ball off the floor anyway so time is better spent on technical skills with a focus on short, sharp passing routines. Beyond that, limit heading to a certain amount of minutes of training time per week - perhaps one or two routines per week and one large sided game where it is permitted.

Many jobs have occupational hazards or exposure to a certain level of risk, be it radiology or offshore work. Sometimes risk cannot be eliminated, but rather managed as best as possible. I think that’s the approach football has to take.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
toontown
November 14, 2022, 12:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I may be mistaken but I think the lighter ball theory has largely been disproven. Balls are indeed much lighter, but they are also designed to travel faster so in effect the benefit gained through reduced weight is lost through increased velocity; the latter netting out the former.

The reality is, the game of football would be changed beyond recognition if heading were suddenly outlawed, just as boxing would be if punches to the head were banned. How different would our Wrexham play-off game have looked without headers.

I’m not up to speed with where we are with the science in this, but surely the most straightforward solution is to drastically reduce the amount of heading performed throughout a footballer’s playing career.

For a start, avoid it entirely up to a certain age. Realistically, up until a certain age the kids struggle to get the ball off the floor anyway so time is better spent on technical skills with a focus on short, sharp passing routines. Beyond that, limit heading to a certain amount of minutes of training time per week - perhaps one or two routines per week and one large sided game where it is permitted.

Many jobs have occupational hazards or exposure to a certain level of risk, be it radiology or offshore work. Sometimes risk cannot be eliminated, but rather managed as best as possible. I think that’s the approach football has to take.

Well the second mullin goal would have been fine, he didn't touch it with his head!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
pen penfras
November 14, 2022, 3:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete

That's like saying people get lung cancer who've never smoked a cigarette and the filters on today's cigarettes are better than they were 50 years ago. It's still obviously worse for you and the science on head trauma is constantly evolving.

I can't see heading the ball stopping, but reducing exposure has to be considered.

I'm not sure on this legal case. Unless the FA or whoever is being sued knew about risks and ignored them, how have they done anything wrong? Would these people have not played football as a result of knowing there was a risk?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2022, 4:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,789
Gold Stars: 237
Every profession has a risk attached. Someone with a job involving computer work all day is presumably at more risk of blood clots and the like.

Obviously, take sensible precautions in all professions, but some risks will always remain.

What is very irritating is people like Nobby Stiles's son, who was more than happy that his father was a national hero, but then campaign and say how awful it all is when Nobby fell ill in later life.

Stiles senior, I am sure, would not have changed one moment of his career, if it meant he couldn't play football at the highest level because he would fall ill all those years later. I can't even remember Nobby heading the ball!

Geoff Hurst who did head the ball is still in wonderful health so like a lot of things it depends a great deal on lady luck.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
Rick12
November 14, 2022, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from pen penfras

That's like saying people get lung cancer who've never smoked a cigarette and the filters on today's cigarettes are better than they were 50 years ago. It's still obviously worse for you and the science on head trauma is constantly evolving.

I can't see heading the ball stopping, but reducing exposure has to be considered.

Agree completely. Young children's brains are still developing and minimising heading is a step in the right  direction. Same argument as science evolves is mobile phones and use in children eg affects of electromagnetic radiation.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Heading the ball

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.