WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 3, 2022, 7:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Heisenberg

Sort of, but then the club (two blokes, who admittedly are definitely not going to make a profit) would take the money, instead of the trust…..

Not if they then gave this money to the club. Or is this what the 1878 membership is?

Just trying to think of some way that could benefit both.

As I’ve said before on here, a junior scheme where 1 or 2 schools, youth clubs etc are invited each (Saturday) home match to take in a tour of the ground, meet the players and watch the game could be something that could benefit all parties. I was among a group that got that opportunity (and also to be a ball boy) and I would say that at least 50% that had that chance Still go to watch town.

But, the way that the trust would benefit most, is by having the £200k that was stolen from them reimbursed

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
arryarryarry
July 3, 2022, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I think the discount for trust members is a version of this,  saves you some money, but without directing it to the trust, let's you have the choice.

So many reasons to join, why would a gtfc fan NOT join the Mariners Trust? 2000 members, fan reps on the board, a positive voice for fans.

2 isssues I have with the Trust, I still don't forgive those who dropped their trousers and bent over and handed JF all those shares.

Secondly I don't understand how the two Trust members on the board allowed the club to go ahead and change the badge without telling the fans first.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
It Bites
July 3, 2022, 7:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,215
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry

2 isssues I have with the Trust, I still don't forgive those who dropped their trousers and bent over and handed JF all those shares.

Secondly I don't understand how the two Trust members on the board allowed the club to go ahead and change the badge without telling the fans first.

Great points . Is the trust the voice of the fans or not ?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
ex-merseymariner
July 3, 2022, 8:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think you've misunderstood the nature of my post, I want the trust to represent more fans by more joining,   not criticise events in its past.

Its run by volunteers, and its easy to pick fault, but I'm trying to encourage people to join not give excuses/reasons not to....   more season ticket holders really should mean more trust members, and more legitimacy for the trust, possibly more finance and more power

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2022, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Quoted from arryarryarry

Confidentiality clauses. The board reps also knew about Alex May but were bound by confidentiality clauses. I think things will change around what they can share with the wider Trust board as frustrations have already been aired around that.

One way you can have a say on the things you're unhappy about though is by joining and standing for election at the next AGM...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
arryarryarry
July 3, 2022, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Confidentiality clauses. The board reps also knew about Alex May but were bound by confidentiality clauses. I think things will change around what they can share with the wider Trust board as frustrations have already been aired around that.

One way you can have a say on the things you're unhappy about though is by joining and standing for election at the next AGM...

The point I was trying to make was that the two Trustee Board members on the main board should have told the rest of the board they shouldn't do it with out telling the fans first and if they rest of the board ignored them then that doesn't say much about those two then does it?.

As for the Alex May business I thought this got out into the public domain before there was any formal announcement so not much confidentiality there then?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2022, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Confidentiality clauses? At a non-league (at the time) football club? Who agreed to that? Was it more important to adhere to a confidentiality clause imposed by the previous regime, or let the club sail off with a convicted fraudster?

It is things like this that in my eyes destroyed any credibility the Trust may have had. Speak your mind never mind ludicrous protocols.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2022, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

The point I was trying to make was that the two Trustee Board members on the main board should have told the rest of the board they shouldn't do it with out telling the fans first and if they rest of the board ignored them then that doesn't say much about those two then does it?.

As for the Alex May business I thought this got out into the public domain before there was any formal announcement so not much confidentiality there then?

When there is a confidentiality clause, you can't take it outside the board room which puts the Trust board members in a sticky situation but I'm sure things will change on that front under progressive owners.

The Alex May business did get into the public domain fortunately and the rumour I heard was that a scout had tipped a few people off which enabled the media to be prepared.

Confidentiality clauses? At a non-league (at the time) football club? Who agreed to that? Was it more important to adhere to a confidentiality clause imposed by the previous regime, or let the club sail off with a convicted fraudster?

It is things like this that in my eyes destroyed any credibility the Trust may have had. Speak your mind never mind ludicrous protocols.

Sometimes you need to go along with these things to get your seat on the board. The chair is a much more popular person among the fan base, they have a good relationship with the owners now and have achieved some great stuff over recent months which should be applauded. If the confidentiality clause is a massive issue then join, ask some questions and see what can be done to make it better.

If every single decision went to the members then nothing would get done, my opinion is that a lot more, but not necessarily everything, should get discussed at Trust board level. We vote for these people to represent us so we should trust them and if we don't like what they do, vote or be that opposition next time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2022, 10:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jamesgtfc

When there is a confidentiality clause, you can't take it outside the board room which puts the Trust board members in a sticky situation but I'm sure things will change on that front under progressive owners.

The Alex May business did get into the public domain fortunately and the rumour I heard was that a scout had tipped a few people off which enabled the media to be prepared.

Sometimes you need to go along with these things to get your seat on the board. The chair is a much more popular person among the fan base, they have a good relationship with the owners now and have achieved some great stuff over recent months which should be applauded. If the confidentiality clause is a massive issue then join, ask some questions and see what can be done to make it better.

If every single decision went to the members then nothing would get done, my opinion is that a lot more, but not necessarily everything, should get discussed at Trust board level. We vote for these people to represent us so we should trust them and if we don't like what they do, vote or be that opposition next time.

We needed the Trust to speak out against Fenty and help get him out.

It is no good a fans trust being sidelined and reticent with a bad owner but all singing all dancing with good ones.

Fenty kept setting traps and they fell into them. I am sure the fans trust will have  more input now with good owners, but paradoxically we don't need them as much.

Let's be honest owners for good or ill control the shots, and even with good owners the Trust's influence is only at the margins.

I would never dream of joining a fans trust for the reasons outlined and as the old joke goes I would not want to join a club that would have me as a member.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
jamesgtfc
July 3, 2022, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker

We needed the Trust to speak out against Fenty and help get him out.

It is no good a fans trust being sidelined and reticent with a bad owner but all singing all dancing with good ones.

Fenty kept setting traps and they fell into them. I am sure the fans trust will have  more input now with good owners, but paradoxically we don't need them as much.

Let's be honest owners for good or ill control the shots, and even with good owners the Trust's influence is only at the margins.

I would never dream of joining a fans trust for the reasons outlined and as the old joke goes I would not want to join a club that would have me as a member.

But 1878 aren't going to be around forever. We don't know how long they intend to stick around for and the next owner/s might not be the best. Build the membership up and obtain more involvement with the club during these good times and the Trust puts itself in a much stronger position should bad times appear again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Membership& Season Tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.