6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
June 15, 2022, 6:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Southgate claims that he was trying outs younger team, but yet once again Kane played, I believe he played in all the games, so how can Southgate see if anyone else is capable of leading the line if they never get a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 15, 2022, 7:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Gaffer58
Southgate claims that he was trying outs younger team, but yet once again Kane played, I believe he played in all the games, so how can Southgate see if anyone else is capable of leading the line if they never get a chance.

Probably because if you are playing with a Centre Forward there isn’t anyone else to lead the line.

I suspect if Kane was injured mid-tournament, Southgate would play Sterling centrally with two of Mount, Grealish, Saka and Foden either side.

Tammy Abraham’s all round game isn’t good enough and I don’t even think his goal scoring record is that great, particularly when you compare it to someone as similarity limited like Immobile.

You could argue you could try Foden or Saka as a false nine but I don’t think our midfield is good enough to make that work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
ex-merseymariner
June 15, 2022, 7:37am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
I blame the radio commentator who stated confidently Ramsdale hasn't conceded now in 200 minutes of international football - he then let in 4 from 5 shots in the next 70 mins! Jinxed it!

Watched the last few minutes and it was boring again.  Its like we are used to plugging away against minnows and winning 5 nil with a load of late goals, and have no idea how to play against better opposition.  

Feel sorry for bowen coming into this team, what a time to come in, then again at least he's been given a chance.

Southgate made a comment in the build up about how hard it would be for rashford or sancho to force their way back in now, well not so sure about that now!!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
Exiled in Leicester
June 15, 2022, 7:46am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +49
Gold Stars: 3
This whole Nations League thing is a farce and I am not reading too much into it . Southgate took us to the final of the Euros when it mattered - lets give him a chance again in this years World Cup  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 15, 2022, 8:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Clearly England shouldn’t be losing 4-0 at home to a willing, but limited, Hungary side.

I am sure The Mail and The Sun will be calling for Southgate’s head but…

1. As many have posted above, several key players are either not fully fit, coming back from injury or just knackered (James, Trippier, TAA, Stones, Walker, Saka, Rice, Mount) or not first choice at their clubs at the moment (Sterling, Grealish, Maguire).

2. Remember that Saka’s penalty miss against Italy was on 11 July. The EPL started back up again on 13 Aug. Money doesn’t stop you from being mentally and physically tired.

3. The Chelsea, Liverpool, City, West Ham players played an awful lot of football at the back end of the season. Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood are out of form or unavailable.

4. A lot of the higher ranked international sides have struggled for motivation and fitness in the Nations League. Most of them don’t want the matches, they want to be on holiday. Look at France (still my favourite for the World Cup), they lost two and drew two of their four NL matches.

5. I still think Southgate’s preferred first eleven is roughly what most sensible people would pick. If you play Kane, you need Sterling or Saka to provide a threat in behind. Could he ditch the double pivot and play Mount, Foden, Grealish or Saka deeper? We’ve speculated this on here before and the problem is they don’t play that deep for their clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
Abdul19
June 15, 2022, 8:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Maringer

Coady not good enough in my view, White, Tomori and Guehi extremely inexperienced at international level and not exactly blowing the doors off in the league. I'd perhaps have Mings in ahead of most of those, though he's a bit limited himself.

He's just won Serie A!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
woodi147
June 15, 2022, 8:34am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1
Make them watch the comeback Kings on Youtube
And show them how it's done.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
Madeleymariner
June 15, 2022, 9:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
We set up and play negatively, we didnt push forward and get players in the box till we were 2 down. How are we going to score goals when our CF spends most of the game in midfield and no one makes runs beyond him. One player down, losing 3-0 15 mins to go, replace an attacking midfielder with a central defender to try and shore things up at the back (hence boos when Maguire came on). The bloke wouldn't know what an attacking mentality is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
GrimRob
June 15, 2022, 9:18am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
This whole Nations League thing is a farce and I am not reading too much into it . Southgate took us to the final of the Euros when it mattered - lets give him a chance again in this years World Cup  

It does mean we have to play some decent teams regularly rather than a procession of games we can win at a canter and look fantastic in, only to fall on one of the rare occasions we come across a decent team.

Unfortunately, we'll now almost certainly get relegated so will be pitted against relatively weak opposition again for the next 2 years, so the whole cycle can begin anew!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 51
Garth
June 15, 2022, 10:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Wouldn't know what tiredness is, try playing three good teams away from home for 120 minutes a match, then come back and tell me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.