Garth
June 11, 2022, 6:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from heppy88
Disappointed that Sousa is going. Good enough to play in playoffs, instrumental in our promotion. For me a strange decision.

Me too, 90% there,  good attacker and worked back well, coached better in his final pass/ finishing he would have been an asset
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
Spurn boy
June 11, 2022, 6:14pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
Sorry to sound boring but we need Cropper just for his long throws, Sousa impresses with his runs but has no end product. Feel sorry for Max and hope someone takes him on. Harry will be with us next season  I’m sure about that and I’m sure Hursty has various players that he would like to sign for next season and with the new shirt sponsorship and increase in season tickets I don’t think he will have too many financial restrictions.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
headingly_mariner
June 11, 2022, 6:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Can't really argue with much of that. I wouldn't have been bothered if Cropper didn't get a deal and I've had like to have seen Sousa stay.

I must admit, it's sad to see players with a genuine connection to the club leave, Max has been so unlucky. Mckeown has been a fantastic servant. I'll miss Lenny as well.

Usually I'm glad to see the back of players. Wish them all the best.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
GtfcGarner
June 11, 2022, 6:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
As echoed, no real surprises here barring maybe Sousa. I think Paul would of thought long and hard and already had some targets in mind that he thinks can improve the current 11 and those who will add to the squad. Think it will be a signing of intent if he can make the first contract renewal to be Ben Fox as that will set the statement of us this season.

Let’s just think where we was 12 months ago and what Paul has managed to build in that time. Now we are in a much better position for players to be retained and more of an attractive proposition for players to want to be part of. There are always gems that just haven’t clicked at one club for one reason or another ala McAtee.

I’m looking forward to seeing who we can get through the door and knowing that Jason and Andrew will support Paul, exciting times ahead for us Mariners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
TownSNAFU5
June 11, 2022, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Hurst said about halfway through the season that Max declared himself injured when the medics could find nothing wrong.  He seemed to look for reasons not to be playing.  A great shame as he talented even without a run of games.  His run and goal from the halfway line against Wrexham was a joy to see.

He had better luck with injuries at Boston and Scarborough.  I hope he finds the right club and level to continue his career.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
arryarryarry
June 11, 2022, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from codcheeky

I am sure his contract terms will reflect his situation. He got injured giving his best for us and it’s hard to begrudge us looking after him

He was just about permanently injured here and at many of his previous clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
Phil the cod
June 11, 2022, 6:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from supertown
Sousa, flattered to deceive . Correct decision in my opinion

Completely agree, very pretty on the ball, but absolutely no end product whatsoever.
Frustrating final ball decisions too,not just me, mcatee and Taylor must have sore throats from all the screaming they've done because of a Sousa wrong pass option.
Bizarrely,Sousa would probably be a great player higher up the league's where you've got more time on the ball,and more protection from refs.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
Rodley Mariner
June 11, 2022, 7:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
https://twitter.com/lukew30/status/1535689556481146883?t=vBN4F1h0XzdjtZtE6novww&s=19

Sounds pretty positive re Waterfall signing a new contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
LH
June 11, 2022, 7:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
I think PH and CD have got the list right to be honest.

Appreciate Sousa looked dangerous and was brilliant in the play-offs but in the most part his end product has been disappointing. He’ll get a Conf club.

I hope Max Wright gets his injury problems under control and fulfils his potential. It’s really unfortunate for him but we can’t be over sentimental at this level.

If we can secure 3/4s of the contracts we’ve offered out we’ll have a good base of a squad. I really hope Fox re-signs the most but there are 5/6 players on that list that are key to maintain good continuity season to season. Of the contracted players you’d expect DLK to leave mutually.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
acko338
June 11, 2022, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Scannell is being looked after to get over an injury sustained while in our employ.

I assume that some form of liability insurance comes into force, which partway assists with paying for time during recuperation.

Are we just making a moral good decision here, or looking to inject quality once established?

At some point towards a return to full fitness, a decision will be made as to him being able to play again.

Could be a January "new" signing light bulb moment..... or another bad glitch.

Let's hope for the former, because there is some class that sees a run or a pass above our level, even this new League.

Hoping Sean Scannell makes a full recovery - well liked by players here, and possibly feared by opponents?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Out now

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.