Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our stand out players?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 274 Guests

Our stand out players?

This thread currently has 2,426 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
June 10, 2022, 6:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
All of them, without the evident strong squad unity then we would not have got promoted.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Poojah
June 10, 2022, 7:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,900
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from aldi_01
Smith…excrement

Bit harsh that for me. I quite rate the lad.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
aldi_01
June 10, 2022, 7:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

Bit harsh that for me. I quite rate the lad.

😂😂

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Kris2
June 10, 2022, 8:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
McAtee - Has been immense this season, we played so much better with him in the team. Brings that fire that we lacked so much in previous seasons, has style and swagger for days. Always looking to make something happen.

Waterfall - Has been ever present this season and an absolute rock at the back along with a constant threat from set pieces. His ability to lead on the pitch has been a big part of our success, can always seem him talking and organising. Watching set pieces he's like the catcher in baseball giving whistles and signals on where to put the ball and he often converted to goals or set a goal up from them.

Fox - Probably the best box-to-box midfield player we've had in years, has incredible stamina to be everywhere on the pitch and keep going forever, he played non-stop in each playoff game going the full 120 minutes while looking the least tired person on the pitch. Great defensively and in attack, always seems to be in the right place and picks up the lose balls then recycles them to keep the pressure on. Not picking up lose balls was a weakness for us previously and he's shown how valuable it can be to have a player with that anticipation.

Smith - I thought Towler was a great defender and Andy Smith completely blows him away. Become the perfect defensive partner for Waterfall and brings quality and assurance at the back. He plays like a much more experienced pro with how calmly he deals with things and passes the ball from the back.

Taylor - Very much a footballer's footballer. gets on the end of things, great link up play and an experienced head on his shoulders. He's come up against some difficult situations in the season and done well to deal with them. Lot of games are spent getting knocked around by bruiser defenders and he's always patient and doesn't lose his head when he's getting pushed around with no support from the ref.

Efete - Shame about his injury that put him out for the end of the season because he was a really solid player, brings a lot to the table in our forward movement and gets up and down the line well to link up with the midfield. Always liked him playing over not playing, think he's deserving of a mention.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
diehardmariner
June 10, 2022, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Going to add Crocombe to that list.

I understand competition may be brought in for him but he played a huge part in turning the side around post Xmas.  Once he settled in he commanded his area well enough to dictate that we played further forward, that in turn resulted in a higher press in the opposition half.  

His quick distribution gave us another asset too.  

If someone comes into replace him and are am improvement, I'll be very happy.  Equally so if someone comes in and gets even more out of him, again happy days.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
golfer
June 10, 2022, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Mcatee  Fox    Waterfall   Clifton   Crocombe    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
forza ivano
June 10, 2022, 11:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
I'm going to stick up for Riley Towler - absolute class act. Smith has been excellent, and it's toss up between who progresses further , but for me Towler is slightly classier than Smith.Smith may be physically stronger, but i don't remember Towler getting bullied by anyone, and i saw a fair amount of the game he played Whatever happens we've been lucky to have both of them in the side

PS Jay Matete or Ben Fox - there's another tough one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
toontown
June 11, 2022, 12:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm going to stick up for Riley Towler - absolute class act. Smith has been excellent, and it's toss up between who progresses further , but for me Towler is slightly classier than Smith.Smith may be physically stronger, but i don't remember Towler getting bullied by anyone, and i saw a fair amount of the game he played Whatever happens we've been lucky to have both of them in the side

PS Jay Matete or Ben Fox - there's another tough one

Really good hypothetical you've done there in the ps!

So good I can't even give you an answer after our playoff campaign!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
promotion plaice
June 11, 2022, 12:36am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 201

McAtee really does have a swagger about him doesn't he, best player in the play-offs by a country mile.

Hurst really did pull out a diamond there didn't he.

I'd value him at around £1 Million in the current climate, why not. I wouldn't take less.

Really hope he stays with us but money talks.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
aldi_01
June 11, 2022, 7:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A lot of my friends from uni watched our playoff run, I guess not being town fans means they give a less bias view. They all recognised Mcatee as being a class above but they all commented on Crocombe and Clifton.

They said Fox played like Kante and they were all impressed with Abraham’s work rate.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our stand out players?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.