diehardmariner
June 8, 2022, 3:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Surely Hull, Lincoln or the Sheffield clubs are more likely destinations this year?

You would think so...although I'm not sure on the appetite levels from a few of those clubs.  Bennett played 18 times in the league last year for Swansea, only 16 of those starts.  He also failed to make the squad for the last dozen or so games (perhaps injured).  In fact his only appearance since early Feb was as a half-time sub against Fulham.  0-0 when coming on with Swansea leaking 5 in the second half.

Not saying that was Bennett's fault but considering Swansea finished 15th I can't imagine Sheffield United, with promotion ambitions, would be looking towards a guy who was a bit part player in a lower mid-table side.  Equally so Hull finished not too far away from Swansea and by all accounts feel they've got a chance of kicking on this year under new owners.  

Sheffield Wednesday, a division below, but will fancy themselves to really push for it this year which could see them want someone like Bennett or go the other way and feel they can/need to do better.  Lincoln I think are gonna be tightening their belt and my understanding is that Kennedy's remit is very much around bringing younger players through as assets.

I've no info to suggest he is/isn't signing for us.  But if I was signing for, let's say, Sheffield Wednesday but wanted to move back to the area still, I'd perhaps move somewhere other than Humberston Ave.  Somewhere with easier/quicker access to the motorway.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
forza ivano
June 8, 2022, 3:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Bradford and Mansfield have been mentioned as being interested, but now we are in the same division, why waste hours of your day and a small fortune in fuel, when you can play on your doorstep in the same division?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
diehardmariner
June 8, 2022, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Exactly.  

I'm understanding it that moving back to GY is for family reasons, to then add a three/four hour commute onto your day doesn't add up.

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he rocks up in a Town shirt this summer.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
Poojah
June 8, 2022, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,886
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from diehardmariner
Exactly.  

I'm understanding it that moving back to GY is for family reasons, to then add a three/four hour commute onto your day doesn't add up.

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he rocks up in a Town shirt this summer.

He’s under contract at Swansea, where he must be on a five figure weekly wage. He’s only 32 and was playing regular Premier League football as recently as 2020.

I’d love to be proven wrong on this, but it seems highly unlikely to me that he’ll end up here any time soon.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
ClarkyGTFC
June 8, 2022, 4:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
I think he is on around £20,000 a week but if we dangled £5000 - £6000 maybe it would entice him I’m sure he’s not short of a few Bob
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
MarinerDevil
June 8, 2022, 4:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
It's still only a rumour that he's moved back, right?  He was also earning Premier League wages not so long ago so he probably could afford two houses and just visit his girlfriend/family periodically.

Unless he's genuinely committed to settling back into the area and is happy to take a substantial pay cut to do so, I'd say this is unlikely.  Would be a tremendous signing though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
supertown
June 8, 2022, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
If he has moved back it would have been sorted way before we got promoted so we wouldn’t have been in the equation at non league . He must have something sorted I guess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
MuddyWaters
June 8, 2022, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from supertown
If he has moved back it would have been sorted way before we got promoted so we wouldn’t have been in the equation at non league . He must have something sorted I guess

Or maybe he was waiting to see what happened?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
supertown
June 8, 2022, 5:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Or maybe he was waiting to see what happened?

World record house purchase ? 3 days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
mariner91
June 8, 2022, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from supertown

World record house purchase ? 3 days

I doubt a footballer who has spent 13 seasons in either the championship or the premier league will be too concerned by house prices in NE Lincs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.