Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Some thoughts after yesterday...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

Some thoughts after yesterday...

This thread currently has 2,268 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
geir
June 6, 2022, 2:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

First of all: A warm and heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone securing our place back into the league.
Second, I do hope this was the last time ever we enjoyed the "pleasure" of being in the NL. No more I say!

Now I wonder how all those players rejecting us before the season feel. Thsimanga et al - let this be a lesson for you and other players that Grimsby wants to sign - when Paul Hurst calls you say "yes" and pack your bags. Luckily the players we had were better, so we didn`t need you after all. Enjoy your continued stay in the lower leagues.

Speaking of Paul Hurst... He was on a downward trajectory for a long time after Ipswich. I wonder if he felt that his career as a manager in professional football was hanging by a thread at some point? I wonder if he feel that his career is back on the right track again and that he also was "saved" by this promotion? Can someone from RH ask the question, please?

Furthermore, as someone living abroad, I can`t even begin to tell you how glad I am that this promotion also means that I am able to connect to IFollow and be able to watch every game again. I think I am speaking on behalf of all Grimsby fans abroad when I say that this improves our existence on earth several times over.

Due to work commitments I couldn`t travel over to watch the game against Solihull, but I hope to see you wonderful fanatics in a game or two "live" next season. Really looking forward to it, but worried that tickets will be hard to find in this new and glorious era of the club. Oh, well, I guess that is something our new owners will fix with the building of a new stadium at some point.

What a change the club have undergone in such a short time - if someone is looking for an idea about a film about football - the last couple of years of Grimsby Town is a finished script that has it all. And there IS a happy ending!

Well done all you merry Mariners! May the force continue to be with you. See you around. FISH!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerRob
June 6, 2022, 2:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from geir

What a change the club have undergone in such a short time - if someone is looking for an idea about a film about football - the last couple of years of Grimsby Town is a finished script that has it all. And there IS a happy ending!

This would make for a great Hollywood film especially with the happy ending.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
wigworld
June 6, 2022, 2:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from MarinerRob

This would make for a great Hollywood film especially with the happy ending.

Or maybe a Netflix documentary?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 12
grimps
June 6, 2022, 3:30pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 46
Yeah you’re right about the being abroad bit
I’ve only seen 4 games all season and 3 was the play offs , I don’t know what you lot have been whinging about all year , we’re brilliant 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
DB
June 6, 2022, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
I may be mistaken but I haven't seen any reports of trouble or arrests. There was a nice crowd outside The Cow but the police didn't seem bothered. No trains smashed nor bus windows put in.

So we have 13,000 well-behaved supporters. It's a shame other clubs and police forces could not have conducted themselves better during our visits this last season. The national press was very quick to criticise fans in the past but has failed miserably to praise our well-behaved visit to the Capital.

So well done to all our fans on Sunday, a credit to the club and Town.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Mrbump53
June 6, 2022, 4:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from DB
I may be mistaken but I haven't seen any reports of trouble or arrests. There was a nice crowd outside The Cow but the police didn't seem bothered. No trains smashed nor bus windows put in.

So we have 13,000 well-behaved supporters. It's a shame other clubs and police forces could not have conducted themselves better during our visits this last season. The national press was very quick to criticise fans in the past but has failed miserably to praise our well-behaved visit to the Capital.

So well done to all our fans on Sunday, a credit to the club and Town.

Apparently, a SM fan was arrested for using foul language to a police officer. He was led away in handcuffs. Didn't see any trouble even with the few SM fans walking through the GTFC crowd at the end of the game. There was no "disputes" with the stewards pitchside as they were so far away !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Gaffer58
June 6, 2022, 4:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Pity that reporter who was at Notts county, for the league game, wasn’t there yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
geir
June 6, 2022, 10:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
While taking a shower and washing my sins away, I started to think about this idea of a biopic or a drama movie made out of the last two seasons and it suddenly dawned on me that the perfect opening would be a short resume of our past going up on the screen while the music from Star Wars plays.

[url]https://youtu.be/-bzWSJG93P8[/url]

Perfect, eh?
Of course... something more uplifting would end the movie. Any ideas?  

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
lukeo
June 6, 2022, 10:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,418
Gold Stars: 149
Small group of SH 'lads', we're being verbally intimating whilst people queued for the loos and getting onto the subway.
Couple of obvious dressed lads (Grimsby) started to get a bit intimidating towards passers by but nothing malicious.

Very minor things on the whole. Have to say considering how busy and cramped it was, after the game was brilliant. Lots of banter and singing in the crowd down to the tube.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Southwark Mariner
June 6, 2022, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from geir
While taking a shower and washing my sins away,

You'll go blind

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
jamesgtfc
June 6, 2022, 10:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
I was in the queue for a drink pre-game and someone queue jumped. The two lads behind me were smashed and not to be messed with shall we say. They joined the queue behind me and waiting patiently but loud as you would expect someone drunk to do.

Got near the front after 20 minutes and some chancer squeezed into the queue. Lets just say the only reason the queue jumper didn't get a punch was because he decided to leave the queue at the third time of asking.

It always frustrates me in places like that though, the ground is built to hold 60,000 people and the catering can't even handle a crowd of 20,000.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
aldi_01
June 6, 2022, 10:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think there’s also a variation in how crowds behave depending on event, stadium and police force.

The Met deal with large crowd football events every week as well as small crowds. They know their excrement and react accordingly and appropriately.

I thought the steward with the megaphone at the stop/go for the route to the station was excellent, letting kids give a burst of a town song down the megaphone. When people see stewards and police as humans it almost always has a much more acceptable response…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
jamesgtfc
June 6, 2022, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
I thought the stadium stewards were a bit odd. They kept walking down the aisle in front of me ensuring it was clear but whenever they did it, an army of them walked down the steps and back up again.

During extra time they ended up arguing with some bloke for not being by his seat and standing in the aisle but couldn't seem to wrap their head around the reason he couldn't do that was because everyone else in the aisle had moved across which forced him into the aisle.

That said, I was surprised they didn't make people sit down so fair play for letting us stand up all game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Some thoughts after yesterday...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.