Son of Cod
May 10, 2022, 4:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah

Perhaps, but there’s little about Peter Swann’s recent actions or apparent motives that would lead me to err on the side of well meaning when it comes to suspicious, unexplained developments. Would you have felt comfortable had Fenty been pulling similar moves at GTFC (which, in the spirit of absolute fairness, he never did).

I think what we’re seeing at Scunny right now is a series of ‘Alex May moments’, but without the apparent ire or consternation of the Scunny fans, and with no viable exit strategy.

How was our ire measured though? The initial May stuff was broken on Twitter or by RH I seem to remember? But then most of the discussion online about it among Town fans was on here. Their main forum is behind a registration wall isn't it? I'd imagine that it's getting discussed on there. I know a few Scunny fans who have known they've been in trouble for ages now. Seems to be a bit of an unquantified myth that they don't care at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
HerveJosse
May 10, 2022, 4:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145

Quoted: The Football Grounds Improvement Trust is an independent body formed by the Football League and the Pools Promoters Association. Its primary objective is to provide financial assistance to designated League clubs towards the cost of safety work required by the Safety of Sports Grounds Act, but as more funds become available it will be able to help with more general improvements.

I have no idea why BP has to be under mortgage to them but 160K is not that much in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot of people on here who probably owe similar amounts on their personal mortgages. I doubt Messrs Stockwood and Petit are losing sleep over it.

A 5000 gate at BP all paying an average of 20 quid each generates 100k.

I am sure they are not losing sleep over it . Effectively a loan over 21 years.Does seem a small amount though to charge your major asset for . Glass screen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
moosey_club
May 10, 2022, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
So I'm going to be serious here....

The loss of a long standing football club is not good for football in general and we would lose our closest and oldest(?) local rivals. As things stand Lincolnshire only has one club in the football league and 2 others who can be described as senior, professional clubs. Losing one of those three is not good for football in Lincs.

If Scunny were to go the way of Bury we need to reach out to their supporters and let them know that they would be welcome to come and join us at Blundell Park to support local football in Lincs. It would stick in their craw at first but long term Grimsby could become a stronger club for their support and could come to represent North Lincolnshire, not just the town of Grimsby (in the way that some clubs in Europe represent regions - Bayern Munich or Eintracht Frankfurt for example).

Another factor to consider is what impact will losing their football club have on the town of Scunthorpe. Already a town with problems and a poor reputation, they will lose an economic driver that the town could guarantee every other Saturday for 9 months of the year.

Part of me is loving their travails (the rabid Grimsby support in me) but a bigger part is saying that this is not good news for football in general and particularly in N Lincs.

And once again it's history, culture and people's dreams potentially being evaporated by one person whose ego has got in the way of decision making. Scunny may well be what we feared we would become.

I am being serious too......

Fck em.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More fun in Scunny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.