4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
May 9, 2022, 7:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
[quote=1122]Most recent accounts show a reduction in assets of 30 million quid in the last financial year

That is because the Stadium was "sold" to Cool Silk a holding company owned by the Swann family to make Scunthorpe Utd FC Ltd debt free
Basically, Scunthorpe Utd FC Ltd's assets are now the players, kit, and the name and not much else.
Peter Swann could have just handed the money over to clear the debts, but I suspect whilst the land doesn't equal what he paid, he has something to show for the outlay, and if SUTC Ltd goes turtle, at least Peter Swann has some saleable land in what is a prime area and is not liable for any future SUFC Ltd debts. He just walks away.
So now we wait to see what happens next. Not good though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 32
moosey_club
May 9, 2022, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,323
Gold Stars: 229
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
GollyGTFC
May 10, 2022, 9:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I know Scunthorpe are our rivals, but if the unthinkable happens and they lose the use of Glanford Park I hope nobody will object to them becoming tenants in NE Lincolnshire temporarily. I’m sure Cleethorpes Town would put them up.

Sorry, I've just realised this is a stupid suggestion as I hadn't fully thought it through. Now they are in the National League they could play at Grimsby Borough on their 3G pitch at Bradley. That way Cleethorpes Town's grass pitch won't suffer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 32
exiledmeggie
May 10, 2022, 11:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
Is this the final Swann Song for the Scunts?

[url]https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1523960672358387713[/url]

It does not look good for them!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 10, 2022, 11:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,321
Gold Stars: 309
So I'm going to be serious here....

The loss of a long standing football club is not good for football in general and we would lose our closest and oldest(?) local rivals. As things stand Lincolnshire only has one club in the football league and 2 others who can be described as senior, professional clubs. Losing one of those three is not good for football in Lincs.

If Scunny were to go the way of Bury we need to reach out to their supporters and let them know that they would be welcome to come and join us at Blundell Park to support local football in Lincs. It would stick in their craw at first but long term Grimsby could become a stronger club for their support and could come to represent North Lincolnshire, not just the town of Grimsby (in the way that some clubs in Europe represent regions - Bayern Munich or Eintracht Frankfurt for example).

Another factor to consider is what impact will losing their football club have on the town of Scunthorpe. Already a town with problems and a poor reputation, they will lose an economic driver that the town could guarantee every other Saturday for 9 months of the year.

Part of me is loving their travails (the rabid Grimsby support in me) but a bigger part is saying that this is not good news for football in general and particularly in N Lincs.

And once again it's history, culture and people's dreams potentially being evaporated by one person whose ego has got in the way of decision making. Scunny may well be what we feared we would become.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
Poojah
May 10, 2022, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,890
Gold Stars: 1,527
So I'm going to be serious here....

The loss of a long standing football club is not good for football in general and we would lose our closest and oldest(?) local rivals. As things stand Lincolnshire only has one club in the football league and 2 others who can be described as senior, professional clubs. Losing one of those three is not good for football in Lincs.

If Scunny were to go the way of Bury we need to reach out to their supporters and let them know that they would be welcome to come and join us at Blundell Park to support local football in Lincs. It would stick in their craw at first but long term Grimsby could become a stronger club for their support and could come to represent North Lincolnshire, not just the town of Grimsby (in the way that some clubs in Europe represent regions - Bayern Munich or Eintracht Frankfurt for example).

Another factor to consider is what impact will losing their football club have on the town of Scunthorpe. Already a town with problems and a poor reputation, they will lose an economic driver that the town could guarantee every other Saturday for 9 months of the year.

Part of me is loving their travails (the rabid Grimsby support in me) but a bigger part is saying that this is not good news for football in general and particularly in N Lincs.

And once again it's history, culture and people's dreams potentially being evaporated by one person whose ego has got in the way of decision making. Scunny may well be what we feared we would become.

I’m going to take you at your word that you are being serious; there is absolutely no fúcking way on earth that any self-respecting Scunny fan is going to start following Town in the event they fold. Would you or I reciprocate if the shoe were on the other foot? Not in a million, gazillion years.

If they do go the way of Bury then the only things Scunny fans can and would do is form a phoenix club. Given their recent attendances in League Two, it’s unlikely they’d have an AFC Wimbledon-esque procession through the leagues but the news that AFC Scarborough have at long last reached the NLN offers them some hope.

I hope for their sake they manage to rid themselves of Swann without it killing their club - I’ve no time for characters like him in football, no matter where they reside. I’m not hopeful of a happy outcome for them, but I cannot bring myself to wish terminal destruction on them - not even them.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
Les Brechin
May 10, 2022, 12:02pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
I doubt very much that any Scunny fan would turn their alegience to GTFC just like (I would love to think) that no Grimsby fans would turn their alegience to Scunny if things were the other way round.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
thefish
May 10, 2022, 12:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Les Brechin
I doubt very much that any Scunny fan would turn their alegience to GTFC just like (I would love to think) that no Grimsby fans would turn their alegience to Scunny if things were the other way round.

I’d rather sit in the Upper Youngs in my shorts on a cold February evening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
Heisenberg
May 10, 2022, 1:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Is this the final Swann Song for the Scunts?

[url]https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1523960672358387713[/url]

It does not look good for them!

Is there a single Scunny fan who’s actually worried about this? Isn’t this just us lot getting all into a lather about every day business practices, putting 2 and 2 together but ending up way off the mark?

There’s no chatter about this in any of the press, local or national, so I can’t help but think their situation, whilst not ideal, is probably survivor-ble?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
Poojah
May 10, 2022, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,890
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Heisenberg

Is there a single Scunny fan who’s actually worried about this? Isn’t this just us lot getting all into a lather about every day business practices, putting 2 and 2 together but ending up way off the mark?

There’s no chatter about this in any of the press, local or national, so I can’t help but think their situation, whilst not ideal, is probably survivor-ble?

Number one; no, I think it’s started to dawn on many Scunny fans that they are in dire straits.

Number two; I’m not sure you can describe what Peter Swann is doing as ‘every day business practices’. In the past year, he has reigned in expenditure to a level nowhere near capable of maintaining league football, to the extent they were relegated with a points tally close to an EFL all time low.

He’s transferred the ownership of their stadium and surrounding to his own company, and now he’s taken out a mortgage secured against the stadium / land with no explanation as to why or what the money released via the mortgage is to be spent on.

As it stands Scunthorpe do not own their stadium. Their stadium is subject to a substantial mortgage now secured against it, via Coolsilk Poperty ltd. They have virtually no senior players left. They have an owner who clearly no longer has any regard for the club, and certainly no intention of funding it beyond this point. To the contrary, he is quite literally asset stripping it.

The National League take no prisoners when it comes to its members. They will want cast iron guarantees they can fulfil next season’s fixtures to a degree that maintains the integrity of the league. Who’s going to give them that? Not the club’s owner, that’s for sure.

No admittance to the National League ends the club, as it has done for virtually if not literally all others to have been denied entry. And I think that’s a realistic prospect, especially since it’s a narrative that suits Swann. A dead cub doesn’t need a ground; a ground worth millions in land value.

I think there’s a less than 50% chance Scunny start next season in the NL, or at all. The bad news is being drip fed, day by day, week by week, but there’s a long time between now and August and a lot still to play out, I expect.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More fun in Scunny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.