6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
April 24, 2022, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A deserved win in the end and whilst the first half was a bit ropey, we still found a goal and went in level. Second half felt like a matter of time before we scored. It was late on but overall we deserved it.

The Crocombe debate will remain, I suspect it’s more of a thing because of how long Macca has been here and how good he’s been in that 10 years, but we’ve got to accept that his time has come to move on.

Holohan is a class above for me, occasionally he looks to play a sloppy ball or gets caught but that’s more to do with the lack of movement around him. Jones was way off and whilst there’s certainly a player in there, my personal choice would be to slot Harry next to Holohan and play JMD and Scannell in a 4.

We did miss Mcatee, and we didn’t seem as lively without him, much like every other team when they lose their best player but we won. A game that on paper was tricky, we came through. Our form is nothing short of excellent, for however much moaning I’ve heard at the ground. May be we haven’t played well on periods but we’ve won thr games, that’s all we have to do. I’d take 3 average performances but three wins in the playoffs. intercourse all prizes for jjst playing well and losing.

We seem to have developed a knack of winning, similar to what we saw in Hursts last couple of conference seasons last time.

I don’t fear anyone in the playoffs, aside from Solihull we’ve taken at least a point off of all of them, and beaten all but Halifax and Solihull.

On to Barnet…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
HarrogateMariner
April 24, 2022, 9:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I also really enjoyed the game, thought both teams looked good. Think it helped that they could not sit back and had to go for the win. Scannel and Clifton standouts for me. As others have said, Scannel looks a class above at times. Thought Clifton made some great runs and showed good movement off the ball. Also a note for Amos. He looks better and better every time I see him play. An all round good full back with a bit of everything to his game. I was disappointed when Crookes lost his place as I also rate him- would be happy to keep both next season and that would provide great competition at left back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
IlkleyMariner
April 24, 2022, 10:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Thought the wind made the play tricky, with far too much head tennis especially in the first half. Torquay players moved the ball quickly and well deserved the early lead.

As town got into the game Scannell and Clifton got more influential and several breakaways could have given us a useful lead. Enjoyed the game and have confidence that we are on the right track even if we don’t go up this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
forza ivano
April 24, 2022, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from davmariner

Interesting how people see games differently. I thought Crocombe looked off. His kicking was dodgy and there was one instance where he was caught in no mans land out of the goal chasing a player. He did make a good reflex save in the first half. Perfectly happy to admit McKeown is leaving and likely won’t play for us again, but certainly don’t buy that Crocombe is the answer or any better.

you n me both. Both of them being released would free about £200k - am sure you can get a v. competent keeper within that budget and still save a heap of money

ps decent crowd again yesterday - we are averaging c5800 which is 1300 above 1878's projection. Reckon that means they will be over £500,000 to the good by the end of the season, and a home play off game would be the icing on the cake financially
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
HertsGTFC
April 24, 2022, 11:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano

you n me both. Both of them being released would free about £200k - am sure you can get a v. competent keeper within that budget and still save a heap of money

Would you though? You'd have to bring in someone (or two) better and that would surely cost more than what where paying now?

If we are going to succeed we need stability, Max can DAJATL and so can Macca for that matter, we only need one of them, Max just feels a bit more hungry to me. I do recognise though that moving Macca on would feel like the right decision to make the numbers stack.

I would have liked to have seen Ollie Battersby out on loan just in case we need to retain him as back up next term.        

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 24, 2022, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Would you though? You'd have to bring in someone (or two) better and that would surely cost more than what where paying now?

If we are going to succeed we need stability, Max can DAJATL and so can Macca for that matter, we only need one of them, Max just feels a bit more hungry to me. I do recognise though that moving Macca on would feel like the right decision to make the numbers stack.

I would have liked to have seen Ollie Battersby out on loan just in case we need to retain him as back up next term.        

I got told Crocombe was about to sign for Boston on about £600 p/w and we came in at the last minute to double that offer.

I think Crocombe is alright but I'm not convinced our keeper coach is actively improving our keepers. I mean, for a start he played his own part in McKeowns demise by signing a 3 year deal at the age of 36 and going toe to toe with him for the Number 1 jersey.

I'm disappointed with 3 keepers around the place that Battersby hasn't had more loan experience as he needs games under his belt.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
forza ivano
April 24, 2022, 11:10am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from HertsGTFC

bet you we could a get a decent keeper for £2/£2.5 k a week, with Battersby as back up (wouldn't mind seeing Jake eastwood returning). there's always the possibility of getting a young keepr on a season loan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
Mariner_09
April 24, 2022, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I’d have Battersby as our proper backup, release both Macca and Crocombe and go all out to sign a top keeper for this level. Same applies if we’re in the league above as well I think. We should be able to do better than both with our budget.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
Chrisblor
April 24, 2022, 11:52am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
We've got the 4th best goals against record in the league. Crocombe is more than adequate and we really don't need to be chucking money at an expensive goalkeeper. The main issue that's prevented us from competing for the title is a comparative lack of goals up the other end of the pitch (Stockport have scored 22 more than us, Wrexham 20 more, even Dagenham have managed 14 more). I'd much rather we spent some money on addressing that instead.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KjNEyje.png[/img]

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Mike_67
April 24, 2022, 12:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Chrisblor
We've got the 4th best goals against record in the league. Crocombe is more than adequate and we really don't need to be chucking money at an expensive goalkeeper. The main issue that's prevented us from competing for the title is a comparative lack of goals up the other end of the pitch (Stockport have scored 22 more than us, Wrexham 20 more, even Dagenham have managed 14 more). I'd much rather we spent some money on addressing that instead.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KjNEyje.png[/img]

Couldn’t agree more. We have two keepers currently that are good for this level. With limited resources we’re far better off targeting areas of the squad that need strengthening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.