jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

I dont think Max really did anything? I want him to do well as do we all but im really confused by what you saw to indicate your view

He gave them something to worry about, looked to link play and hugged the touchline to stretch them. He looked nervous and understandably so but it was still a good cameo from him I thought. There was a moment where he perhaps should have let a deflected ball that he was chasing go out for a corner but he chose to drive it into the box. If we scored from that it was a stroke of genius from him but then again, our corners were poor today so fair play to him trying something different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
TAGG
April 23, 2022, 7:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Couple of excellent saves and bad finishing by them kept us in it for the first 40 minutes. Great strike from Harry put us right back in and there was only one winner after that as showed in the second half.
Amos and Scannell were brilliant, Harry as usual was everywhere including some great forward runs, pity he's not as good a finisher as JMc
Maguire-Drew was almost as bad as Jones but at least we know he's a great players on his day.
Taylor was absolutely fantastic in the second half. I love the bloke and hope (along with Scannell) is still with us next season.
All in all a fantastic result.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2022, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

I dont think Max really did anything? I want him to do well as do we all but im really confused by what you saw to indicate your view

I thought Max was more effective than JMD but that’s not saying a lot today - he’s mainly struggled since returning from injury.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
Hagrid
April 23, 2022, 7:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I thought Max was more effective than JMD but that’s not saying a lot today - he’s mainly struggled since returning from injury.

My old man said the same about JMD. He assisted the goal against Kings Lynn but he doesnt look fit at all
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

My old man said the same about JMD. He assisted the goal against Kings Lynn but he doesnt look fit at all

Can't fault him for workrate and end product but anything longer than 30 minutes and he's blowing out his bottom. I suspect his end of season keep fit plan will involve lots of running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
blundellpork
April 23, 2022, 7:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
The wind played a big part in how today played out. First half we were playing into it, and were struggling to control the ball, then misplacing passes. First 30 minutes it looked like Torquay could be two ahead, but from the moment Clifton scored, we grew into the game and being all square at half time was probably a fair result.

Second half it was all Grimsby, and with Taylor hitting the bar, and Scannell hitting the post, it looked like we were not going to get the win that we deserved.

JMD had a poor game today, and when he loses the ball, is so painfully slow trying to catch his man. It’s that lack of pace why he’s at this level as the rest of his play is usually very good. Thought Jones was poor too with plenty of misplaced passes. In his defence, he played well at Chesterfield, but I haven’t been impressed with the last two home games. Scannell MOTM and looked far better than this level.

Special mention to Crocombe for that heart in the mouth moment in the second half when he came a long way out of his goal to clear the ball, only to hit it straight at another player, and was then scrambling to tackle the Torquay lad who had gained possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
LH
April 23, 2022, 7:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Took a while to get the winner but it was deserved overall. Scannell and Crocombe’s best games for us that I’ve seen. Intelligent and experienced from Scannell and a couple of good, important saves from Crocombe. Agree that Clifton was all over the pitch today but those critical moments when he could have put the game to bed he was found lacking and on another day we really rue them. I think there’s a few who looked unfit - JMD and Jones especially but Efete hasn’t been at his best to me since returning either.

Overall though we have probably now secured the playoffs barring a huge balls up. The target now has to be securing a home
QF.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from blundellpork
Special mention to Crocombe for that heart in the mouth moment in the second half when he came a long way out of his goal to clear the ball, only to hit it straight at another player, and was then scrambling to tackle the Torquay lad who had gained possession.

Forgot about that! Looked like there was someone in the Upper controlling him with their PlayStation controller. How we ended up with a goal kick from all that was a miracle.

Also, Clifton's goal started with his dodgy kick. Fine margins and all that...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
RonMariner
April 23, 2022, 8:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,862
Gold Stars: 230
Well that's 11 wins and three draws in the last 16 games. Great form over pretty much a third of a season.  It's 2.25 points per game. Over a normal 46 match season that would give 103 points. Champion's form.

I know it's crazy to think this way.

But just saying.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
ginnywings
April 23, 2022, 8:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner
Well that's 11 wins and three draws in the last 16 games. Great form over pretty much a third of a season.  It's 2.25 points per game. Over a normal 46 match season that would give 103 points. Champion's form.

I know it's crazy to think this way.

But just saying.....

Without that infuriating dip in the middle of the season, where would we be now?

Promotion form/relegation form/champions form all in one season.

We are not conceding many either, so we always have a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.