Northbank Mariner
April 20, 2022, 3:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from arryarryarry

Shouldn't all players who are injured work their mammaries off to get fit or have the likes of Max Wright stayed at home playing on their XBoxes?

Absolutely, but I'm commenting on how well he's done, from being almost an outcast has-been in many people's eyes to playing his way back in, not only that he's turned in 2 mom performances to boot.
Yes, his got history of injuries but so did Vernam and Arnold, maybe, just maybe we've worked with him to sort the niggles out and now getting the best out of him and if that's the case, we've got one hell of a player on our hands imho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 123
headingly_mariner
April 20, 2022, 3:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Sousa has played really well for large parts of this season and was brilliant in our best run.

Scannell will not get another contract at Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 123
April 20, 2022, 3:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry
In the last six seasons Scannell has started on average less than 10 League games a season and so far this season has only started 3.

But at present he is fit, playing well, and has enough ability to unlock a nervy National League play-off game.

The problem is with his playing history. OK, I accept that - but as of now I'm pleased we've got him.
Reply: 22 - 123
Poojah
April 20, 2022, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,877
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from Davec

I disagree that Sousa is a coachable work in progress at a good age, he is 27 years old now, at that age he may only improve a little bit, his end product will not improve a lot at his age.

I like Sousa a lot, but I worry that trying to coach end product into him in his late twenties is akin to coaching composure in front of goal to Lennie. Sometimes it’s just not in the player’s nature.

That said, if it can be done then we have a hell of a player on our hands. I do think it would be a bigger risk to let him go than to retain him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 123
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2022, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the last six seasons Scannell has started on average less than 10 League games a season and so far this season has only started 3.

Scannell has been fit since early December waiting for an opportunity. There's a difference between being injured and not selected.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 123
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2022, 3:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Sousa has played really well for large parts of this season and was brilliant in our best run.

Scannell will not get another contract at Town.

There's a reason why Sousa was last at Darlington and why Scannell has played in the Prem.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 123
immariner
April 20, 2022, 3:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
I thought Scannell was great against Stockport and said as much on here but thought he was pants when he came on at Lynn, running down blind alleys and being dispossessed too easily. Opinions opinions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 123
quebec38
April 20, 2022, 4:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Scannell has been fit since Christmas don’t forget. He reached fitness only to be told his opportunities would be limited before more recently starting to get his chance. He’s taken it with both hands IMO.

Sousa has attributes that are out of this world but he doesn’t do the most important bits right. His numbers are poor. 2 league goals this season I think? Probably not more than 2 assists either. Compare to JMD who probably has close to double.

Max Wright is an interesting one. We all thought he was probably done but Hurst threw him a real lifeline on Monday. Hopefully he can still find something to win the new contract.

FWIW I like all three and wouldn’t mind any of them around the squad next season. I think fitness will dictate two of the decisions though.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 123
arryarryarry
April 20, 2022, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Scannell has been fit since early December waiting for an opportunity. There's a difference between being injured and not selected.

So if some on here think he is an "immense" player and a class above in this League, why didn't Hurst pick him then?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 123
Northbank Mariner
April 20, 2022, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from arryarryarry

So if some on here think he is an "immense" player and a class above in this League, why didn't Hurst pick him then?

But he is now!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.