13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerjase
April 23, 2022, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Been said in this thread already - but you’ve got to give Scannell credit. He’s not sulked when not playing for ages, maintained and got his fitness levels up, and when asked to come in has done more than an adequate job. In fact I’d argue he’s done better than a lot expected. You can see his quality at this level..and given the question of a new contract offered - 3 months ago a stone cold certainty was a no - but I think that answer might well be different now.

I’d rather him play for us than against us..he seemingly fits in well with the squad, good attitude ..and makes an impact. He may well improve more with a proper pre season and more game time. Sousa, imo, is one to come off the bench rather than start.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 123
aldi_01
April 23, 2022, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Thought he was robbed of MOTM today.

Seems a decent bloke, someone shouted postive stuff to him today and he turned round and responded and agreed. Was nice to see.

I’d personally written him off but credit where it’s due.

He also attended the Not Home Alone event at the oaklands last week without being asked and had photos and stuff taken with the old folks.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 123
Hagrid
April 23, 2022, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from aldi_01
Thought he was robbed of MOTM today.

Seems a decent bloke, someone shouted postive stuff to him today and he turned round and responded and agreed. Was nice to see.

I’d personally written him off but credit where it’s due.

He also attended the Not Home Alone event at the oaklands last week without being asked and had photos and stuff taken with the old folks.

He is a decent bloke. I’ve been advocating his inclusion for a long time and im a little biased knowing him a little off the pitch. Quiet bloke, but very friendly,and extremely popular with the squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 123
aldi_01
April 23, 2022, 8:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Hagrid

He is a decent bloke. I’ve been advocating his inclusion for a long time and im a little biased knowing him a little off the pitch. Quiet bloke, but very friendly,and extremely popular with the squad

I think this is why Hurst has kept him on. We know Hurst is more than strong enough to get rid of folk he doesn’t like or that don’t fit in to his style or belief…

Scannell clearly does and hence why he’s here…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 123
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2022, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Said a long time back that Scannell is a class apart at this level. Better even than some of the massively overpaid (and possibly overrated) superstars at this level such as Mullin, Tozer and Madden.
Possibly the only positive thing that Hollowords did for us was to bring Scannell to Grimsby, possibly the most negative thing Hurst did was not to use when he was fit last season and this. Harry Clifton played great today but mostly because of the combinations between him, Scannell and Taylor.

Regarding Taylor, listened to some muppet in the Main Stand today saying that Taylor isn’t as good as Manny. Really?
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 123
marinerjase
April 23, 2022, 8:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Regarding Taylor, listened to some muppet in the Main Stand today saying that Taylor isn’t as good as Manny. Really?

Didn’t know Stevie Wonder was at BP today..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 123
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

I've been ruthless in my thoughts that we need to get rid of him but his performance today was brilliant. Every shot was driven low with power and he set up Clifton for a bucket load of chances. Today might just be the day where my opinion on his fate changed.

His good character has never been in doubt because Hurst doesn't mess around with bad characters and those he doesn't like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 123
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2022, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from marinerjase

Didn’t know Stevie Wonder was at BP today..

In the guise of a smartarsed former local referee, yes.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 123
Maringer
April 23, 2022, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Some of the people near me were complaining about Taylor not reacting quickly enough to challenge for possession, but it looked to me that he was linking play up well. In fact, I think our passing to him was better today than it usually is so he had more opportunities to play others in. Just a pity he didn't bury the chance which came his way. He'll always start for me in this team if he's fit.

Jones was almost as bad in the first half as against Stockport but improved in the 2nd half - to barely adequate. I can only assume that Hurst wants to make sure Fox gets fully fit before bringing him back into the team as I can't see what Jones offers other than being a tallish bloke for a central midfielder. He was blowing out of his rear end not long before he was subbed and Hurst should have taken him off sooner. Almost cost us on one occasion as they broke when he lost possession and he didn't have the legs to get back.

Clifton was as full of running as usual but showed both parts of his game. Did really well for his goal - a really good strike - which came at a vital time, but it didn't seem to give him the confidence you would have thought. He continued to burst forward and received the ball in good positions, but kept tripping over his own feet when well placed. Needs to just keep it simple in those positions and get the shot or pass away instead of overcooking things because he's not a bag of tricks with the ball at his feet.

Along with Taylor, Scannell is one you can tell has played at a higher level and is confident in his own abilities. Never panicked, very strong on the ball and a good footballing brain. If he can stay fit, he'll be a real asset.

A special mention to Amos who I think has really grown into a good player for us over the past month or so. A pretty good passer given the chance, positive in trying to pick a pass when he's got the time, but not worried about wellying it clear when necessary. In a game where the other defenders were struggling and making errors, I don't remember him doing much wrong and good work to get into the box so late on to win the penalty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 123
lew chaterleys lover
April 23, 2022, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Taylor is an absolutely fantastic player. How anybody could criticise him is beyond me. He is pivotal in how we play as a team.

I always think that if a player has a rather languid, laid back unassuming style some fans think he is not quick enough, or high tempo enough but he invariably gets to the ball first because he is one step ahead. Some of his link-up play and exquisite touches are a joy to behold for this level. Is he in his early 30s because I would keep him as long as we can?
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.